Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Childish Gambino

Mentioned
    346 Post(s)
    after seeing his two performances on SNL, and realizing that "awaken, my love!" was more R&B/funk than hip-hop, i finally checked out the aforementioned album and absolutely loved it. i disagree that he doesn't bring anything new musically. i think he's drawing inspiration from the past and using that to discuss the present, which is fantastic.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I love the evolution with each album. A real artist, at last. He just expresses himself, does what he feels like and commits to it fully.

Didn't expect the new track though, after his much more introspective previous album (makes sense to go back to funk/soul, a step back, with his family, before launching himself crashing into the present).

Maybe the coming album will be the perfect blend between his two previous, with the added veil of current politics. Anyway, I'm hyped.

Mentioned
    346 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    I love the evolution with each album. A real artist, at last. He just expresses himself, does what he feels like and commits to it fully.

Didn't expect the new track though, after his much more introspective previous album (makes sense to go back to funk/soul, a step back, with his family, before launching himself crashing into the present).

Maybe the coming album will be the perfect blend between his two previous, with the added veil of current politics. Anyway, I'm hyped.
    did you hear "saturday", the other song he played on SNL? it's so good.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    As if him hosting SNL on my birthday wasn't cool enough, that episode TOTALLY delivered, and he dropped two new songs that were totally fire. Seeing how far the guy's come since his early music/comedy career is really impressive.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 05-08-2018 at 09:55 AM.

Mentioned
    346 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheWiseJanitor View Post
    As if him hosting SNL on my birthday wasn't cool enough, that episode TOTALLY delivered, he dropped two new songs that were totally fire. Seeing how far the guy's come since his early music/comedy career is really impressive.

probably my favorite sketch of the night

Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    I have nothing to say about This Is America that hasn’t already been better-said than others but it’s one of the only times in years that I’ve actually wanted to show people a music video and it’s been amazing seeing so many people that I know discussing and appreciating the art of it who usually don’t engage that much with these kinds of things, it’s proof that most people aren’t stupid or disinterested in good art, they’re just not exposed to it often enough.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post

Oh man I didn't know there was a new track, but no, gotta keep the surprise for the whole album... Same thing if Trent will be releasing tracks before the full album, not gonna spoil myself

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Cultural appropriation?

Last edited by neorev; 05-13-2018 at 07:01 PM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    That might actually be some of the most objectively garbage shit I have ever seen.

Edit: Just...Jesus Christ. Where the fuck do you even start?
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 05-13-2018 at 08:08 PM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Cultural appropriation?
    I didn't find this offensive or anything, and no, it doesn't count as cultural appropriation. It's a remake with women's issues instead of african-american issues. I don't understand the outrage (not on your part, but online in general). This was fine. It wasn't making fun of the original or shitting on BLM, and it wasn't mean spirited. It was ok.

Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    I get the outrage... it's taking something that's addressing a specific issue and adopting its momentum to conflate the message into an unrelated cause. It's sloppy, uncreative, and insulting to the initial work.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think it needs to go further. As a concept, I'm okay with it but I think it needs more development and focus. Give it a bigger budget and a different lead (or multiple leads). Re-do as "This is the World".

In that sense, I feel that this video also helps to explore those themes;
    Last edited by MrLobster; 05-14-2018 at 03:33 AM.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)