Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Childish Gambino

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    after seeing his two performances on SNL, and realizing that "awaken, my love!" was more R&B/funk than hip-hop, i finally checked out the aforementioned album and absolutely loved it. i disagree that he doesn't bring anything new musically. i think he's drawing inspiration from the past and using that to discuss the present, which is fantastic.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I love the evolution with each album. A real artist, at last. He just expresses himself, does what he feels like and commits to it fully.

Didn't expect the new track though, after his much more introspective previous album (makes sense to go back to funk/soul, a step back, with his family, before launching himself crashing into the present).

Maybe the coming album will be the perfect blend between his two previous, with the added veil of current politics. Anyway, I'm hyped.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    I love the evolution with each album. A real artist, at last. He just expresses himself, does what he feels like and commits to it fully.

Didn't expect the new track though, after his much more introspective previous album (makes sense to go back to funk/soul, a step back, with his family, before launching himself crashing into the present).

Maybe the coming album will be the perfect blend between his two previous, with the added veil of current politics. Anyway, I'm hyped.
    did you hear "saturday", the other song he played on SNL? it's so good.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    As if him hosting SNL on my birthday wasn't cool enough, that episode TOTALLY delivered, and he dropped two new songs that were totally fire. Seeing how far the guy's come since his early music/comedy career is really impressive.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 05-08-2018 at 09:55 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheWiseJanitor View Post
    As if him hosting SNL on my birthday wasn't cool enough, that episode TOTALLY delivered, he dropped two new songs that were totally fire. Seeing how far the guy's come since his early music/comedy career is really impressive.

probably my favorite sketch of the night

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I have nothing to say about This Is America that hasn’t already been better-said than others but it’s one of the only times in years that I’ve actually wanted to show people a music video and it’s been amazing seeing so many people that I know discussing and appreciating the art of it who usually don’t engage that much with these kinds of things, it’s proof that most people aren’t stupid or disinterested in good art, they’re just not exposed to it often enough.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Oh man I didn't know there was a new track, but no, gotta keep the surprise for the whole album... Same thing if Trent will be releasing tracks before the full album, not gonna spoil myself

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Cultural appropriation?

Last edited by neorev; 05-13-2018 at 07:01 PM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    That might actually be some of the most objectively garbage shit I have ever seen.

Edit: Just...Jesus Christ. Where the fuck do you even start?
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 05-13-2018 at 08:08 PM.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Cultural appropriation?
    I didn't find this offensive or anything, and no, it doesn't count as cultural appropriation. It's a remake with women's issues instead of african-american issues. I don't understand the outrage (not on your part, but online in general). This was fine. It wasn't making fun of the original or shitting on BLM, and it wasn't mean spirited. It was ok.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I get the outrage... it's taking something that's addressing a specific issue and adopting its momentum to conflate the message into an unrelated cause. It's sloppy, uncreative, and insulting to the initial work.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I think it needs to go further. As a concept, I'm okay with it but I think it needs more development and focus. Give it a bigger budget and a different lead (or multiple leads). Re-do as "This is the World".

In that sense, I feel that this video also helps to explore those themes;
    Last edited by MrLobster; 05-14-2018 at 03:33 AM.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I just scored free tickets to our company's box at the O2 for Childish Gambino Monday

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    I just scored free tickets to our company's box at the O2 for Childish Gambino Monday

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Gambino's music for me has always been hit and miss. I do however really enjoy STN MTN/ Kauai at the moment.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Gambino's music for me has always been hit and miss. I do however really enjoy STN MTN/ Kauai at the moment.
    i fucking love awaken my love and "this is america" is, of course, fantastic. but anything earlier than that does absolutely nothing for me.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    i fucking love awaken my love and "this is america" is, of course, fantastic. but anything earlier than that does absolutely nothing for me.
    I really need to give that album another listen since I could not get into it the first couple of spins when it first released. I'll give it another go, but Because the Internet has some pretty dam good tracks on it from what I remember. I've grown to like his compilations more than his LP's.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Awaken My Love is a great album. It took me a few spins to really get into it, but I think it's his best album now.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    I really need to give that album another listen since I could not get into it the first couple of spins when it first released. I'll give it another go, but Because the Internet has some pretty dam good tracks on it from what I remember. I've grown to like his compilations more than his LP's.
    i don't like him as a rapper and find his lyrics in his wraps to be extremely immature and they make me super uncomfortable.

awaken my love is honestly one of my favorite albums ever. the only song on it i don't love is "california"

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    ...and find his lyrics in his wraps to be extremely immature...
    I always felt like that was the point though, especially when you consider the fact that he started out in comedy. I think he even mentions in one of his songs that he's rapping about goofy, nerdy shit because he's not "gangsta" like a lot of the people he admires. It's goofy, sure, but he's staying true to himself instead of pretending to be someone he's not, which I respect. I think it's only in the last couple years that he's realized that he can sing about serious topics and do it justice, which is probably why he's abandoning the Childish Gambino moniker in the near future. It doesn't really fit him anymore.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I honestly enjoy Because the Internet more then Awaken My Love to be honest, does seem like there's a good mix in the live shows.

It is the company box though, so there might be clients there...can't imagine they'll be many

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I like all of his music, but I think he only really started to shine with Because the Internet. It was his first really good rap album. Then with STN MTN / Kauai he really started evolving into more serious and interesting sounds. "Awaken My Love" though, that is his crowning achievement so far. While it's definitely influenced by George Clinton and D'Angelo, I don't know of any other albums that sound quite like it. It's really unique.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I always felt like that was the point though, especially when you consider the fact that he started out in comedy. I think he even mentions in one of his songs that he's rapping about goofy, nerdy shit because he's not "gangsta" like a lot of the people he admires. It's goofy, sure, but he's staying true to himself instead of pretending to be someone he's not, which I respect. I think it's only in the last couple years that he's realized that he can sing about serious topics and do it justice, which is probably why he's abandoning the Childish Gambino moniker in the near future. It doesn't really fit him anymore.
    goofy doesn't necessarily mean immature, i'm fine with goofy. something about the lyrics and his delivery just makes me uncomfortable, idunno. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    goofy doesn't necessarily mean immature, i'm fine with goofy. something about the lyrics and his delivery just makes me uncomfortable, idunno. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    The only thing that's ever made me uncomfortable with his lyrics were his fetishization of Asian women in his early stuff. I've got pretty thick skin when it comes to that kind of stuff, but it was constant. He did one clever bit of wordplay about being with an Asian girl and I was like, "oh, that's clever," but then he did it ten more times and it just got weird. I'm super glad he's moved way past that.