Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Deafheaven

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Am I just to old and busy now to know the rounds?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Last edited by october_midnight; 07-08-2021 at 08:45 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Wasn't a fan of the first one, I'm all in now. Loved The Gnashing.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I actually dig GMoC more haha...but agreed, I'm hella pumped. Gonna hit up the Van show fasho.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Saw them in Carrboro in 2018. Guess I’ll see them a third time.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The Gnashing is pretty, pretty good! A friend of mine suggested that this album should have been a side project and I sort of agree but I think the record will prob grow on me. Not sure why they eliminated the screams completely instead of dialing it back a bit. Still hyped to see how it all turns out.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    New Pitchfork interview may shed some light.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Absolutely OBSESSED with this band now, thanks to GMOC coming out. Dug in deep to their 4 other albums and somehow I have fallen in love haha.

Always hated George's panther growl. but listening to the albums in context...his vocals are another instrument really. And his lyrics are amazing... if you've never just read the lyrics...do yourself a favor.

Favorite of the albums is Ordinary Corrupt Human Love. Just a solid record. But love each of the other albums.

I think the one that really did it AFTER loving GMOC and subsequently The Gnashing was this one... now my favorite Deafheaven song:

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    ^^^Welcome aboard.

New track 'In Blur' out (in NA anyways) tomorrow. It's definitely mellower than the first two tracks released...love the chorus, tons of backing vocals again.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Its sooooo gooooood

I am genuinely curious how the upcoming tour setlist will go. It's cool to imagine juxtaposing between the heavy stuff and new softer material but I imagine that would be hard on George every night. I am no singer but itsn't it easier to do a set that has all screaming songs OR a set of soft songs but mixing is tough to pull off?
    Last edited by Reznor2112; 08-04-2021 at 09:56 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    It definitely is, and would have to be planned quite carefully for that very reason haha. Going back to the first time I saw them in 2011, their setlists have been pretty much go from minute one (i.e. no 'Night People'). Though thinking of it, there are a lot of vocal breaks; long parts in Canary Yellow, etc. with no singing...I'd wager it'll be 2-3 new tracks tops.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    In Blur is pretty fucking good.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Speak of the devil...George talks about the new live show here.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    These are alright. They do *kind of* sound like Deafheaven songs. But it's not just the unmetalling, it's also the shorter, more tightly structured songs. I liked the voice at first but now I do find myself missing the old one.

I like ordinary corrupt human love for blending their styles instead of alternating them. It's strange to see them entering an almost binary space with this and black brick.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    It definitely is, and would have to be planned quite carefully for that very reason haha. Going back to the first time I saw them in 2011, their setlists have been pretty much go from minute one (i.e. no 'Night People'). Though thinking of it, there are a lot of vocal breaks; long parts in Canary Yellow, etc. with no singing...I'd wager it'll be 2-3 new tracks tops.
    If I were Deafheaven I wouldn't go out of my way to change the sound and then only play old shit live. I'd load the main setlist with new tracks and a few of the most melodic tracks from the past. THEN, the encore is the black metal shit.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I like the new songs and the new single is good but I hope this is a one and done approach for this album. Not sure if I want multiple albums with every song like these.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I need this album to drop Nowwwww gimme gimme gimme...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I respect when bands switch gears during their careers, but that doesn't mean I have to buy the CD or go to the show.

Not being petty about it, I'm sure someone will be there to take my place in an instant.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
    I respect when bands switch gears during their careers, but that doesn't mean I have to buy the CD or go to the show.
    Don't think anyone was saying you needed to lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Don't think anyone was saying you needed to lol
    lol yeah, I just meant I'm a guy who typically stays devoted to a band.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Imma need someone close to the band to just go ahead and send on over that DL link from pre-orders.. mkay cool. thanks <3

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Can't help ya lol. I talk with George once in a while and have even had a few drinks with him (hung out with him the night of the first time I saw them ten years ago; see first page of this thread for pics) as his mother lives up here in the Vancouver area...and while I MAY have heard some snippets, I wouldn't do them dirty lol.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Can't help ya lol. I talk with George once in a while and have even had a few drinks with him (hung out with him the night of the first time I saw them ten years ago; see first page of this thread for pics) as his mother lives up here in the Vancouver area...and while I MAY have heard some snippets, I wouldn't do them dirty lol.
    Wait whaaaaaaa??? That is awesome. I was only throwing that out generically...but that is pretty cool that you know them.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I talk with George occasionally and that’s about it haha. Hung out with Kerry too, and am usually able to get in touch to hang after shows but not in touch too frequently haha. The snippets I heard of the album are all pretty much sounding the same as the released tracks for what it’s worth. There are a few parts with screamed vocals but only a few haha.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Thats pretty cool -- and regarding the new album... I'd be completely content if it was an entire album of In Blur. lol

Funny enough and maybe because I am a new fan... I have no issue bouncing from In Blur to any of their heavy stuff. Feels like the same band to me with a different sound. Reminds me a lot of Greg Puciato's solo record juxtaposing the heavy/grungey/screaming with the very Black Queen style synth pop tracks. Can be a bit jarring at first but is a nice balancing experience of a listen. I think Inifinite Granite is going to be a fantastic addition to this band's catalog. I just hope that IF they go back to their original sound, they don't ignore this album in the future just because fans only want this to be a black metal band.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I’d actually be surprised if they go back to the old vocals. Maybe it’s the strain on the voice, but have their been other bands who have gone back and forth between growls and clean vocals? I think of Opeth, who have transitioned completely to clean vocals.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    The music is great, but I dunno, it could be sold under a different name, but it’s fine if a band wants to sound completely different but go by the same name. Ask Bowie. It’s not a bad thing to try something new

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    If you are need of a copy of the pink/yellow vinyl variant of Sunbather... Turntable Lab still has some in stock. https://www.turntablelab.com/product...-2lp?aff=56029

Deathwish had some up but sold out quickly.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Pre-orders are showing up but still no drippy drippy -- and looks like my vinyl is stuck in the Shipment Label Created phase.