Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: sigil 02: How To Destroy Angels (debut EP)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

sigil 02: How To Destroy Angels (debut EP)

I actually liked this EP so all of the haters can move to the left. Yeah, it was all over the place, but it was no where near as bad as folks made it out to be. Who's with me? Who's against me?

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    *high fives* I enjoyed it for what it was.....a side project / experiment. I still visit these tracks from time to time and find that they still hold my interest.

Sent from your girl's iPhone

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I seemed to have enjoyed it quite a bit and I'm looking forward to what they are going to release.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    I enjoyed it, plus the video for The Space in Between was cool. The EP was a standard part of my coding music rotation for awhile. Definitely looking forward to the full album release.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I thought it was just OK when I first heard it. I went out and bought the CD, and it has certainly grown on me since.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I actually really liked the EP, was a good taster of potential. Rather looking forward to a more structured album though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I quite enjoy it, looking forward to the new one, or anything they put out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    i was happy to hear some "scream free" music from Trent & co. reverb is fine with me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Didn't like it. I was very disappointed and even more so when I heard that will be Trent's next project but meh, maybe it will be better this time.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven View Post
    Didn't like it. I was very disappointed and even more so when I heard that will be Trent's next project but meh, maybe it will be better this time.
    FINALLY! someone who shares the exact same opinion as me!
    It seems like everyone likes HTDA, I was starting to think someone was wrong with me, because I can't stand it. Mainly the wife's voice, The music is good, but I can't get over the vocals. If they took turns singing, I would probably be more inclined to like it.

I was dissappointed to hear the next project was more HTDA as well. I'd much rather have the so called "The Fragile Deluxe edition" over this.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I went back an listened to the EP again... All I can really say is that the only tracks that make me come back to it are The Space In Between and A Drowning. I thought Fur Lined was alright but the the other three were a little boring to me. I was pretty glad Trent did a little vocal work on BBB but I mean, it was still only whispering. I was hoping (before the release/leaks) that Parasite was going to be some sort of fast rock song just because of the way TSIB cuts off so abruptly.

Anyway, I hope the album is different than the EP. I would have to agree with ManBuring that I would like to hear Trent sing some songs as opposed to only his wife singing - an album of duets would be okay.

....play something....(thinking)....Danceable!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by REPLICA View Post
    I went back an listened to the EP again... All I can really say is that the only tracks that make me come back to it are The Space In Between and A Drowning. I thought Fur Lined was alright but the the other three were a little boring to me. I was pretty glad Trent did a little vocal work on BBB but I mean, it was still only whispering. I was hoping (before the release/leaks) that Parasite was going to be some sort of fast rock song just because of the way TSIB cuts off so abruptly.

Anyway, I hope the album is different than the EP. I would have to agree with ManBuring that I would like to hear Trent sing some songs as opposed to only his wife singing - an album of duets would be okay.

....play something....(thinking)....Danceable!
    If I remember right it was stated on their tumblr that The Believers was a duet of sorts. Her voice is the main focus, but TR's can be heard singing along in the background.

The EP has grown on me a lot and I'm curious on how they cement their sound. Of course I'm surprised that people are disappointed by TR's lack of singing. The whole point of HTDA is for him to work with a different voice, he's supposed to take the back seat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought it was fine.
    The music is arranged nicely, and Mariqueen has an absolutely stunning voice.
    It's not as exciting as NIN, but with the direction NIN was going with The Slip and Ghosts, I was kind of glad to see him stop and move on to something else.

The EP sounded a little rushed, and some of the lyrics were a little cheesy here and there (BBB? Seriously?) but I think the project has a lot of potential.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I agree that it could have gained a few more points by having better lyrics, but overall it was quite good. I wasn't annoyed by Mariqueen as some people seem to be and I thought the music was great too. I can't wait to hear more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think it's a good introduction for what is to come. I listen to it often, and I find the songs memorable. At times, a couple songs will get stuck in my head. I really enjoyed the EP after listening to it more times and dissecting the sound.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I haven't listened to is much as I thought I would. But each time I do, I greatly enjoy it. Most of the people that I have discussed the EP1 with, hate it because they were expecting and hoping a NIN pt.2...which is completely defeating the point of HTDA.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I liked it. Nice and atmospheric, slow dark moods. Mariqueen's voice works well - looking forward to the full album!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by REPLICA View Post
    I went back an listened to the EP again... All I can really say is that the only tracks that make me come back to it are The Space In Between and A Drowning.
    Same here. I liked these two songs and the video. That's about it. Hopefully the album is a bit stronger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think The Believers is the best song on the album. A Drowning was pretty good too. I was somewhat disappointed when the EP came out, but I actually have pretty high hopes for the upcoming LP.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I keep meaning to buy the Japanese edition just for the lyrics sheet, because I'm weird and OCD.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    i thought it was a good first effort, but it really didnt stick. i thought the video was the best part. i have high hopes for the full length and the track on gdt though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Trent just mentioned on a radio interview that there are some HTDA touring possibilities for next year!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It took a few listens but I really like the EP. Fur lined and BBB are workout staples and Ive used them a few times in a spin class I teach. Admittedly the lyrics for BBB initially sound cheesy and I couldn't listen to the whole track when it was first released but its really grown on me.

The video for The Space in Between had me from the fist watch though, its haunting and disturbing but not overly done. Really hoping to see HTDA live at least once!

Others have mentioned that they'd rather have this or that, but it just doesn't work that way. If we can get past those wish lists and hypothetical inclinations its easier to appreciate the EP for what it is- an introduction, or experiment. I like to think of the EP as TR jamming with his nearest and dearest.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I thought it was a solid EP. The beats are among the best I've heard from Reznor. Especially The Believers, which sounds like it could have been on Niggy Tardust - and that's a very sincere compliment. I would like to hear Mariqueen doing more with her voice, though. I don't know her work prior to HTDA, but she's not exactly putting on a show on the EP. The stuff she does certainly works, but I would like to hear a few more chances being taken.

But overall, I enjoyed it and still do. Also, while that has nothing to do with the music, I always thought the artwork was killer, and I hope we can expect similar art for the upcoming album.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    i felt the overall effort will hold my attention, the videos, music, and artwork as a whole are good. the music on it's own feels flat in a few spots. The singles are my favorites to this day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I love the entire album, my favorite probably being BBB or Fur Lined. I listen to it all the time. The music video is great for The Spaces In Between is great and I like how it perfectly portrays the feeling the song is supposed to instill. I look forward to more music and a possible tour in the future.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Here's a great remix of The Spaces in Between

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I love the EP just ordered the vinyl edition

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    So, I remember everyone on ETS passionatley hating the album art whilst I loved it. Has anyone accepted it as a work of brilliance yet? (Either cover)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    So, I remember everyone on ETS passionatley hating the album art whilst I loved it. Has anyone accepted it as a work of brilliance yet? (Either cover)
    it is a work of brilliance. Have a hi-def print on my wall.