Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 87

Thread: sigil 02: How To Destroy Angels (debut EP)

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    479
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Myself, I'd like to see something more along the lines of what they reblog on their tumblr. Some really unexpected, exciting, mind-bending stuff there. I love musicians who are also dedicated to the visual aspect - Bat For Lashes comes to mind.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Niskayuna, New York
    Posts
    365
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    So, I remember everyone on ETS passionatley hating the album art whilst I loved it. Has anyone accepted it as a work of brilliance yet? (Either cover)
    I like all of their art direction.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    552
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    So, I remember everyone on ETS passionatley hating the album art whilst I loved it. Has anyone accepted it as a work of brilliance yet? (Either cover)
    Nope. Still don't care for the artwork.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    781
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I don't hate the artwork, I just think everything Mark Weaver does looks EXACTLY THE FUCKING SAME

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    781
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)












    it goes on

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    1,830
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    having a thematic thread flow through one's artwork doesn't make it all "look the same." it's why we like bands...because their music SOUNDS LIKE THEM. it's fine if it's not your taste, but don't hate on the guy just because he has a theme to his artwork.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    781
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    having a thematic thread flow through one's artwork doesn't make it all "look the same." it's why we like bands...because their music SOUNDS LIKE THEM. it's fine if it's not your taste, but don't hate on the guy just because he has a theme to his artwork.
    There's a difference between a thematic thread and EVERYTHING LOOKING EXACTLY THE FUCKING SAME. I can understand a painter being like 'hmm I might do circles for a while', but this guy is doing computer based stuff, and a lot of it is commission based. If I paid for something of his and found out it was just another retro landscape with a circle and some layer blending I'd be pissed.

    But I'm jus saying

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    552
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I heard he's shaking things up and going to try working with triangles for the next project.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    285
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JessicaSarahS View Post
    I heard he's shaking things up and going to try working with triangles for the next project.
    Heh.

    The way I see it, it's like commissioning Dalí to do the artwork for your album, and instead of giving you something relevant to your music which still smacks strongly of his signature smile, he slaps down The Persistence of Memory on your desk with a picture of one of your band members melting from the branch in place of that clock. Granted, Weaver's work for the EP isn't that much of a copy of his other work, but as butter_hole so succinctly put it, when you look at all of his images together it's not so much a theme as the same idea rehashed repeatedly with slightly different subjects. Photographers and artists have this wonderful way of putting out pieces that can look completely different but still show a signature style. The circles, mountains and portrait 'theme' Weaver uses is akin to a photographer posing every one of his subjects in the same manner in front of the same background, just in slightly different colours. While that would make for a cool series, it's not really sufficient to buoy an entire career.

    From a purely aesthetic perspective, I don't see anything wrong with the artwork for the EP or the single. It just seems a bit dull that he put out the exact same template for the work he's been doing over the years, just with slight variations to make it relevant to the band (and that relevance becomes tenuous when it comes to the EP, since there's no picture of Mariqueen's face slapped on it).

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,350
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hula View Post
    From a purely aesthetic perspective, I don't see anything wrong with the artwork for the EP or the single. It just seems a bit dull that he put out the exact same template for the work he's been doing over the years, just with slight variations to make it relevant to the band (and that relevance becomes tenuous when it comes to the EP, since there's no picture of Mariqueen's face slapped on it).
    Playing against my own argument, but the Single cover art:

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    202
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    Okay, I admit, I had to laugh when I looked at the single art compared to this one.
    Landscape upside-down? Check.
    Face faded over top? Check.
    Face in circle? Check.

    It's almost as bad as the two with the kids' heads in them.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    121
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    if you think you can do better. do it and let's see stop just complaining.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vernon, Connecticut
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I find nothing wrong with the art.
    Its hard to judge art in my opinion, because I feel that its something personal between the artist and their work.
    I do love the EP.
    I would love to hear Q really let go with her vocals and just wail. I did appreciate her vocals live with WIG, so I know that she can really let go and give it more vocally.
    I am very excited to see what 2012 will hold for HTDA!

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The E.P is a spunky little critter. I look forward to a full length release.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,350
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Anyone else noticed the standalone CD isn't in the HTDA store anymore? http://store.destroyangels.com/

  16. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mexico City, YAY
    Posts
    1,949
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Are HTDA releasing anything for the Record Store Day? just wondering

  17. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    1,830
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Are HTDA releasing anything for the Record Store Day? just wondering
    nope. the one EP is still the only thing available (besides the digital "A Drowning" single) and we haven't heard any announcements about anything off the new album. plus, the RSD list has already been fully posted on the website.

  18. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mexico City, YAY
    Posts
    1,949
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    nope. the one EP is still the only thing available (besides the digital "A Drowning" single) and we haven't heard any announcements about anything off the new album. plus, the RSD list has already been fully posted on the website.
    Shame, Hope he releases the new album soon he's taking an awful lot of time for Trent Reznor, Thanks for the update!

  19. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    369
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Shame, Hope he releases the new album soon he's taking an awful lot of time for Trent Reznor, Thanks for the update!
    I take it you weren't around for the 90's/first half of 2000's?

  20. #50
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mexico City, YAY
    Posts
    1,949
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortfeazor View Post
    I take it you weren't around for the 90's/first half of 2000's?
    Lol, you're right, i meant the NEW Reznor, the one that doesn't do drugs and wins Oscars...

  21. #51
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    369
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Lol, you're right, i meant the NEW Reznor, the one that doesn't do drugs and wins Oscars...
    Yeah, we got spoiled there for a few years, especially with three new albums within a year and a half and pretty aggressive touring from pretty much 2005-2009. At least he's kept us on a semi-constant drip of new material. Almost takes your mind off the fact that it's been FOUR years since the last NIN record.

  22. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mexico City, YAY
    Posts
    1,949
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    so true, but im spoiled and mean... maybe he's doing a double type of deal? new NIN with new HTDA??? am i asking too much???

  23. #53
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Belarus
    Posts
    1,006
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    am i asking too much???
    is your love STRONG ENOUGH?

  24. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mexico City, YAY
    Posts
    1,949
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    is your love STRONG ENOUGH?
    ...like a rock in the sea, LOL

  25. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Exclamation I agree

    I think it was good and showed the range of Mariqueens voice, but I wish there were more collaborations with Trent on vocals. I know its supposed to showcase her, but come oin let us hear the passionate musical fornication that could be. Perhaps in the next installment of HTDA we will get more of that.

  26. #56
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,350
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Are there any Japanese fans out there (or people who have the Japanese edition), who feel like scanning the lyrics booklet? I know there's nothing special on there, but I'm a completist and can't afford the shipping to buy the whole thing myself.

  27. #57
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,396
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Are there any Japanese fans out there (or people who have the Japanese edition), who feel like scanning the lyrics booklet? I know there's nothing special on there, but I'm a completist and can't afford the shipping to buy the whole thing myself.
    If there's anything additional you'd like to own, this site offers free global shipping with orders over $39US (HTDA is $18.49).
    http://www.yesasia.com/global/en/home.html

  28. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,350
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    If there's anything additional you'd like to own, this site offers free global shipping with orders over $39US (HTDA is $18.49).
    http://www.yesasia.com/global/en/home.html
    That was too much, but it inspired me to check elsewhere and I got it for a tenner, so thanks anyway

  29. #59
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,350
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Japanese lyrics scan, because why not http://fuckyeahatticusross.tumblr.co...how-to-destroy

  30. #60
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    St Helens, Merseyside
    Posts
    92
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    How great does that HTDA logo look in the corner? Like something that could appear on a wall in Alien. Just thought I would share that.

Posting Permissions