Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The 2013 Holiday Season Thread!

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

The 2013 Holiday Season Thread!

'Tis the season, fuckers! I was thinking we could have a thread where people can talk about celebrations and traditions and presents and experiences and all-around merriment. Pictures of ugly sweaters and Christmas music welcome. But don't feel like talk should be limited to Christmas! This is a good time of year for err'body, regardless of your religious preference or lack thereof, so fuck it. Let's just revel in the holiday spirit and celebrate all the good times from the past year.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

@marodi - Because I happened to see your comment under this video on YouTube again. @henryeatscereal @Yoshata @eversonpoe @Kid Charlemagne @Pillfred @Joy Prevention Hotline @ad infinitum @Ryan
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 12-05-2013 at 07:28 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I know its December but still doesn't feel like Christmas to me yet. Not helped that where I live they don't seem to be putting Christmas lights up this year.
    Last edited by miss k bee; 12-04-2013 at 05:37 AM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    @Kris

I stand by that comment: it is the best Xmas song ever!

I've had a strange realization: the older I get, the less fun Christmas is.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    @Kris

I totally get that, and I'm still "young". I just keep telling everyone I don't want anything for x-mas. I don't need physical consumer products. My fiance is being stubborn, and I keep telling him to just pay for my next NIN ticket and call that my x-mas present.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I haven't put any Xmas lights right now cause it's raining. Yet, I do like to watch certain things for the holidays like this little gem...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Delivery for Clark W. Gris...ewe...wellll.......

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    My current tradition is listening to black metal on Christmas Eve. Seriously.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    @Kris, that's the freakiest Christmas carol I've heard in, like, ever.

(Not sure I have this Mentions thing figured out yet.)

I used to blame that on the hell that is a mall at Christmas time, but I haven't been in one in years.

Having Amazon at your command 24 hours a day has its own side effects — before the internet, the flood of catalogs in December was an event. But now? Making a big deal out of one day of the year makes less and less sense. I don't even have the religious sentiment going for me.

I like birthdays (well, other people's birthdays). More personal, fewer sacrificial fir trees.

OK, I admit it. The Christmas spirit isn't my strong suit.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I'll probably post more and more Christmas songs gradually as the 25th gets closer and closer. You also can't go wrong with any of the South Park songs for Christmas, especially when you think about how South Park started with a Christmas episodes in 1992, 1995, and 1997. I also thought I'd post Dead Dead Dead. It's not just slightly amusing and absolutely true, but interesting, since winter certainly reminds me of death, and has been used to represent death as well. I've also thought about death this way ever since I was a child.

@Ryan @thevoid99
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 12-05-2013 at 08:21 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    my fiancee and i saw Rifftrax do Santa Claus Conquers The Martians live tonight. good way to start our holiday movie-watching binge.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 12-06-2013 at 09:48 PM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    @Kris

As did I. I have a feeling that when it comes to getting presents and being an adult, most people would've already expected you to get your own things. And then there's also the inevitable fact that even the closest of friends can grow apart when you get older, so even if you and your friends would've liked to have a Christmas party at your house, it would seem highly unlikely if they also have their own families to visit, or if they've relocated. And then if you're also growing apart from your family, or weren't that close to them to begin with, it would be sort of like going through the motions, even if you're still okay with them.

For me though, I think an ideal Christmas party would be close friends and family that you have an excellent rapport with at your home for that night. If I also had the means, I would definitely purchase gifts for close friends as well. I believe that it is possible to have close friends, or even friends and acquaintances that you can hold in regards as high as if they were blood relatives, as a reason to give them presents if you have the means, but that's just me. As somebody that's given some presents here and there on Christmas and birthdays, it really does give me a very good feeling.

Monetary reasons aside, which are very understandable, it seems like one of the best things close friends can do for each other on birthdays and Christmas. I also like the idea of knowing what to get, like, "Is there anything I can afford, that you didn't get around to purchasing?" I think when the time comes, I just might be the kind of person to put money aside for the holidays to give presents like that. As you can tell, I still didn't outgrow the gift-giving spirit of birthdays and Christmas.

Oh, and sorry for the rather late replay. I just wanted to think about it for a moment before posting. I'm all for Christmas being joyous and fun, and if not for the presents, close friends, and family, definitely for the food.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 12-07-2013 at 11:56 AM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    That Marilyn Manson Christmas parody video is the BEST THING EVER! Well, maybe not ever... but it's goddamn hilarious!

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I'm sure there's still a fair share of old school Korn fans here, so I think you couldn't go wrong with these songs, especially the first two. Jingle Balls is my favorite one out of all of them too.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    As did I. I have a feeling that when it comes to getting presents and being an adult, most people would've already expected you to get your own things. And then there's also the inevitable fact that even the closest of friends can grow apart when you get older, so even if you and your friends would've liked to have a Christmas party at your house, it would seem highly unlikely if they also have their own families to visit, or if they've relocated. And then if you're also growing apart from your family, or weren't that close to them to begin with, it would be sort of like going through the motions, even if you're still okay with them.

For me though, I think an ideal Christmas party would be close friends and family that you have an excellent rapport with at your home for that night. If I also had the means, I would definitely purchase gifts for close friends as well. I believe that it is possible to have close friends, or even friends and acquaintances that you can hold in regards as high as if they were blood relatives, as a reason to give them presents if you have the means, but that's just me. As somebody that's given some presents here and there on Christmas and birthdays, it really does give me a very good feeling.

Monetary reasons aside, which are very understandable, it seems like one of the best things close friends can do for each other on birthdays and Christmas. I also like the idea of knowing what to get, like, "Is there anything I can afford, that you didn't get around to purchasing?" I think when the time comes, I just might be the kind of person to put money aside for the holidays to give presents like that. As you can tell, I still didn't outgrow the gift-giving spirit of birthdays and Christmas.

Oh, and sorry for the rather late replay. I just wanted to think about it for a moment before posting. I'm all for Christmas being joyous and fun, and if not for the presents, close friends, and family, definitely for the food.
    For me Christmas was fun when I was young mostly because we got to stay up very late; we went to Midnight mass after which we went to my grandparents place and then we would eat like pigs and we would open our presents and it was the only time of the year where we got to see our cousins that were living in the USA. So it was very special.

Now, we "celebrate" Christmas for my young nephews and niece. I have 2 siblings, a sister and a brother, both younger than me and we don't get along. We have a very weird family dynamic going on and I do not look forward to those times when we are all together. Other than that, I have 2 close friends and both of them are celebrating with each of their families (although one of them and I do sometimes make extravagant plans for an eventual Christmas that we would celebrate together but I know it's just make believe).

In my early 20s, I was spending Christmas eve watching horror movies all night long. True story.

The food is still awesome though but there's always so much left of it (and I eat so little) that I usually make it to New Year's Eve eating left overs.

edit: this is fun:

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

I went to the holiday party in my apartment building, only 24 units, really enjoyed myself. Good practice working a room, not spending too much time with one person. I think the dude from the third floor finally warmed up to me. Usually, he rides around in his wheel chair, with an angry face, not looking for any morning salutation. He was very charming and funny tonight. Yeah, and I think I ate 2500 calories.

Detroit-ish Area Bacon Taste: Deliciously Maple
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    This is the time of year where i trade my American flag bandanna for a Santa hat. Christmas is the best fucking time of year because the house smells like cookies, and everyone is nice to each other for once.

Also, I think my body is capable of running on Egg Nog, sugar cookies and cigarettes, because thats all im consuming anymore.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Just put up the Christmas tree while half drunk...its the only way!

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    As a UPS driver, I'm ready for the season to be over!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruised View Post
    As a UPS driver, I'm ready for the season to be over!
    I shed many tears for you!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    I just hope Santa brings me a cordless phone and a beeper.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I suppose Christmas couldn't arrive any sooner for me. I just want to relax without a care in the world that day. And to my surprise, I don't even think there's any actual parties or family gatherings for me to attend to this year as well.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Ever since I started work I've always worked up until Christmas Eve, this year being no different, so it's never actually felt like Christmas to me until I'm heading home after work. Except this December, work has just been a really shitty roller coaster ride at the moment, so I'm really looking forward to a fair bit of time off and actually enjoying the whole 'Christmas Spirit' thing this year

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I'm not a big fan of the holiday season but don't let me rain on your parade. Wishing all of you the best of the season.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Have to do last of Christmas shopping tomorrow and the weather is going to be shit, great.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Posted in random NIN thoughts but figured it works (better?) here.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

The thought of a synth-toting TR going around ruining Christmas for small children just makes me smile. I guess I'm more evil than I thought.