Thread: Sesquipedalism's Writing

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Sesquipedalism's Writing

Hello again, to those who remember me from what seems like about a year ago, but in reality was less than a season back. My trusty webpage, sesquipedalism.com, is still up and running; though it's been a titch neglected for the past few months, there's a preposterous amount of content there and if anyone's desperately in need of new work because he or she has actually read through all 500,000 words of it, I'll mail him or her a check for $20. Regardless, new stuff is coming soon—though I know the shudder that runs up the spine of any long-term Nine Inch Nails fan who reads the word "soon."

If you're new to the forum, or never checked out my writing back when I linked to it on the old ETS, here's a rundown of what you'll find on the website: angry editorials about social issues; reasonably informed music criticism pieces; fairly well-informed literary criticism essays; implausible, but entirely true memoirs which are heavily footnoted*; the highlights of a decade of poetry; and snippets of fiction (my first and foremost love) which remain incomplete because there's also a bookstore where, if you felt so inclined, you'd be able to acquire my first collection of stories, Happiness is a, for a reasonable fee.

Coming soon: Said collection, Happiness is a, in a universal e-reader friendly format; a special discounted rate for folks from ETS who want to buy a hard copy; and, within the next month or so, a paperback collection of poems because—though I know almost no one reads poetry any more—why not? That collection will be entitled (drumroll, as this is the first time I've announced it) Still Missing Flight.

Old ETSer or newbie, if your interest is in any way piqued, here's a link you to something that, coming from ETS, is bound to be of some interest. "In This Twilight": A memoir about my bizarrely intimate yet entirely nonexistent relationship with Trent Reznor, via (what was at the time of writing) a fifteen-year obsession with Nine Inch Nails.‡

As before, please comment—writing's more fun when it's a two-way street. Hope you enjoy.

Checks will not be honored.
    * Read the footnotes. They're the comic relief in what are often bleak pieces about despair.
    ‡ Again, read the footnotes. That's where you'll find the funny (and the seriously insane) bits.
    Last edited by Sesquipedalism; 12-02-2011 at 08:54 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    It occurs to me to provide a few more links to anyone who wants to check out the work, since large blocks of text aren't as immediately accessible as the photography, painting, or music my fellow ETS artists are posting. So, here are five pieces that might prompt a laugh, a whimper, or the clicking of a link to listen to new music.

"Check, Please": How not to dine out, by an embittered food-service veteran.

"Reveal the Best of Me": How my cat twice saved my life. Featuring ODs, suicide attempts, a broken engagement, mass betrayal, & phantom limb pain.

"The 20 Best Tracks of 2011 (So Far)": Written halfway through a year in which it seems every musician or group I’ve ever loved (plus a dozen new ones of whom I’d never heard) has dropped an LP, it seemed sensible to address some of the standouts.

"Peregrine Carrots": By the time I was seventeen years old, I had a drug problem. Chiefly, the problem was that I didn’t do drugs very well. This essay explains what happens when you mix a days-long bender, the heat of a restaurant kitchen, and a hair-trigger gag reflex. (Answer: You end up with a horrifying and, depending on your sense of humor, hilarious biohazard).

"A Perfect Sonnet": If I’m wrong in my atheism, and there turns out to be such a thing as a soul, the woman here detailed still has most of it. Ten labyrinthine sentences on love.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I wondered when you were going to set up shop here again. I suppose I could always leave comments or feedback on your site, but I have a tendency to forget.
    Looking forward to digging into your new stuff when it pops up.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waffel View Post
    I wondered when you were going to set up shop here again. I suppose I could always leave comments or feedback on your site, but I have a tendency to forget.
    Looking forward to digging into your new stuff when it pops up.

Thanks, waffel. Some music-related stuff before year's end. And shortly after January first, new nonfiction. New fiction snippets will, ideally, follow right after that. I hope.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    As promised, if your interest has ever been piqued by my writing, there's a mega-discounted rate for ETSers. $4.95 + shipping will get you a copy of Happiness is a, my first collection of short fiction. If you're only acquainted with my nonfiction, fiction snippets can be found here.

Why so cheap? Because I’m indebted to the site for so much; the community here has been a buoy for me through some terrible times. Perhaps even more importantly, the community has been an equally excited, like-minded crowd with whom I’ve gathered and chatted about new art when otherwise I would have to remain mute about the things I love, having in the flesh no like-minded folks to call my own.

So, thanks ETSers. I’d love to say “this one’s on me,” but I’m not quite rolling in dough just yet.

P.S.: Let's keep this just between us. Don't click the "share on Facebook button" or the Twitter link, please.
    Last edited by Sesquipedalism; 12-13-2011 at 03:07 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    If anyone is interested, here's my list: 2011's Top Ten LPs. More relevant than Rolling Stone's; more personal than Stereogum's; and, at least this year, way more fucking sensible than Pitchfork's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I always really enjoy your writing but probably don't tell you as much as I should. I used to love to write and I remember how important feedback was to me. So there you go! I liked your Best of 2010 music list so I'm looking forward to reading this one too.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    (Bring the site back, James!)