Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alternative music album Hesitation Marks, Nine Inch Nails - Grammy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Alternative music album Hesitation Marks, Nine Inch Nails - Grammy

Hope this wasn't posted yet , cool to see QOTSA got a few nods..

This was nominations only

http://www.grammy.com/nominees

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    WOW.... Another Grammy nod for NIN.... who cares.... It's a Grammy. I'm happy that QOSTA and Bowie is getting recognized but like they really care about Grammys.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    At least it's not metal this time.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I don't see any competition for NIN but when is there any?.

LOL, I remember when stupid, freaking Green Day got best album over TDS still, yep, still remember that! That was crap. Total crap.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Led Zeppelin and Neil Young & Crazy Horse's albums are nominated for Best Rock Album...despite coming out last year. WTF?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Well, it's good to see Bowie still getting some recognition. Also, I had no idea that Black Sabbath had a new album out, how trippy is that? (Not that Trent, Bowie or the guys from Sabbath would give a crap about the Grammys)

Timberlake's on there a few times... I didn't like this album as much as FutureSexLoveSound, but it was good and Pusher Love Girl was a highlight so it's definitely worth Best R&B Song. The biggest competition on here for me, though, is putting Calvin Harris' "18 Months" and Daft Punk's "Random Access Memories" up in the Dance/Electronica category. They're both very different albums and are great for different reasons, so it's really hard on that front. (Though Welch and Harris deserve Best Dance Recording for "Sweet Nothing", that song's a killer.)

Anyway, congrats to everyone who got nominated, but it'd probably be better if the awards went to people whose careers can actually benefit from it. All the people in the rock/metal/alt scene really don't give a damn, generally. XD

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    There's also a nomination for Sound City as the best compilation soundtrack.

I scrolled through the whole page and it seemed like half of categories are for rap/r'n'b. Jesus.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Well, that's because the Grammys are usually pop focused and those are the big pop genres currently, whereas the alt, rock and metal genres are holdovers from the early 90s MTV era. That's just how it is at the moment. I'm curious when they'll split off dubstep/complextro/all that stuff into its own category. That seems to be the next big definition in synthesis. (Kind of 'rock n' rolling' electronic music.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I can't help, but I laughed when I saw that they're nominated.

Who cares about the Grammys anyway?

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Who the hell are the other 4 acts? Doesn't matter, a grammy is a grammy! I hope at least they pay something.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Uh, you guys know Vampire Weekend will probably win that right...? No competition, jeez. That album has topped NIN's on every list going.
    It's not better though.
    Also, Trent has said on more than one occasion that he couldn't care less about the Grammys.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Reznor.
    Said 'shit brushes skin'. Won Grammy.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    WOW.... Another Grammy nod for NIN.... who cares.... It's a Grammy. I'm happy that QOSTA and Bowie is getting recognized but like they really care about Grammys.
    seriously! now can we please get back to talking about trent's drop-crotch pants?

actually seriously, clearly people (myself included) care about the grammy nominations because this thread exists. if you don't care, you can just not say anything. you don't have to let everyone know you're too cool for it.

Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Led Zeppelin and Neil Young & Crazy Horse's albums are nominated for Best Rock Album...despite coming out last year. WTF?

"The eligibility period for the 56th Annual Grammy Awards is October 1, 2012 to September 30, 2013."
    Last edited by m15a; 12-07-2013 at 01:05 PM.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    So, NIN is alternative???????

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    To the old fogies who do the voting, probably.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    my vote would go to either Lonerism or Trouble Will Find Me, but since I don't care...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    What's the bet half of the people in here wouldn't be so vocal in their anti-Grammy-ness if Trent wasn't so against them?

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    What's the bet half of the people in here wouldn't be so vocal in their anti-Grammy-ness if Trent wasn't so against them?
    or if you just looked at the stuff they generally nominate

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    So, NIN is alternative???????
    it's probably the most poorly defined genre, . . so maybe it's the least inaccurate?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    No, they are industrial guys..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    What the hell does "alternative" even mean anymore?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Alternative means contrary to mainstream and/or doesn't fit in the other genres. So yes, NIN is alternative.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I hope Daft Punk wins all 5. I hope TR wins his.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Alternative means contrary to mainstream and/or doesn't fit in the other genres. So yes, NIN is alternative.
    Well in theory, yeah, but would you really call Vampire Weekend "alternative"?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by staleincense View Post
    Well in theory, yeah, but would you really call Vampire Weekend "alternative"?
    Out of the options listed, yes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I find it intriguing how numerous posts in regards to this topic proclaim "fuck the Grammys" "Who cares anyway". When in fact it's pretty obvious you (we) do care. And there is nothing wrong with that. I mean We are on a Nine Inch Nails message board and in a thread made specially about the Grammy nomination where quite a few people (with more to come) have posted in regards to the subject. so clearly we do care.

While It won't affect in anyway how I perceive Nine Inch Nails Or what the music means to me. I would be excited If Trent received another Grammy award (he already has three). As it will also garner more exposure for the album (which is only a good thing). So I will definitely be checking online the day after the Grammys to see if Hesitation Marks wins the award, which I'm certain many other members here will as well (whether they want to admit it or not). And if Hesitation Marks wins the posts will consist of "Congratulations Trent, Well deserved" and if they lose the claims will be "fuck the Grammys, they suck anyway?. So in all I guess what i'm saying is there's nothing wrong with wanting a band you enjoy to receive an award and more mainstream exposure.

Also on that note, is the Alternative Album category actually aired on TV? As I haven't watched a Grammy awards show in many years, but I know quite a few categories get reduced to being announced during the pre show. Given what the mainstream musical climate is like today, I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of those categories.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jnk6980 View Post
    I find it intriguing how numerous posts in regards to this topic proclaim "fuck the Grammys" "Who cares anyway". When in fact it's pretty obvious you (we) do care. And there is nothing wrong with that. I mean We are on a Nine Inch Nails message board and in a thread made specially about the Grammy nomination where quite a few people (with more to come) have posted in regards to the subject. so clearly we do care.
    Wait, so if someone says "fuck it I don't care," they therefore do care because they bothered to say they don't?

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Hesitation Marks is the worst album in this category and it's not even close. I think Lonerism by Tame Impala is one of the best albums of the past few years, so I would vote for it. The National and Vampire Weekend put out y two favorite albums this year, and this is also Neko Case's best album in a decade. The committee loves established acts like NIN, so my money is on Trent to actually win.

Biggest leftfield nominee is James Blake for Best New Artist, I hope to God he wins, even if this is his second album.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Wait, so if someone says "fuck it I don't care," they therefore do care because they bothered to say they don't?
    There is a difference between saying something in passing and taking the time to type out a post about it. If one simply didn't care then all they needed to do was read the first post indicating what the thread was about and then move on.

And perhaps I was to broad or general with the content of my original post. I'm sure there are those that simply do not care one way or another. But I would think that as fans those that said they don't care for the most part do care to some degree whether or not they win the award.
    Last edited by jnk6980; 12-08-2013 at 11:03 AM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jnk6980 View Post
    And perhaps I was to broad or general with the content of my original post. I'm sure there are those that simply do not care one way or another. But I would think that as fans those that said they don't care for the most part do care to some degree whether or not they win the award.
    Well let's get super trippy here then. I not only don't care, but if I were a Grammy voter who did care, I'd vote for The National.

If you could imply that I do care about something here, I guess you could say that I'm bothered that anyone gives a shit about the Grammys. It's like a music awards ceremony run by people who hate music. It should be called "The Uninformed Pedestrian Awards." It means less than nothing, so it's always a little strange to see people get excited because a musician they like is nominated, when they should probably take it as an insult.