Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: top 10 live concerts you have been to?

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

top 10 live concerts you have been to?

Ok pulling a little bit of a Kris here (I still love you) trying to cut it down to ten (90's were good to me) not in any ranking.
    U2 CowPalace -Unforgetable Fire tour
    Fishbone Warfield -HBO special
    Primus Nighbreak (used to do sushi Sundays)
    NIN -Warfield -The Fragile
    Peter Gabriel -Security Tour - War Memorial
    NIN With Teeth- Warfield
    Willie Nelson- Filmore
    Ani DiFranco- Greek Theater in Berkeley
    Primus -New Years Eve show -Filmore
    Paco Da Lucia-John McLaughlin and Al Di-Melola - a night in San Francisco II -War Memorial,
    Shit I use up my 10.. added
    The Fixx- War Memorial
    Ministry - One Step Beyond
    Living Color -One Step Beyond
    Tool - Cochella
    Sorry for the spelling errors just feeling chatty tonight
    -Louie

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Oh geez, this is going to be tough, and in no paticular order

Ministry - Eagles Ballroom 2003?
    NIN - Target Center 2000
    NIN - Mid American Center 2008
    NIN - Xcel (Tension for teh win!!) 2013
    Rammstein - Roy Wilkins Auditorium 1999
    Tool - The Areana here in Sioux Fuckin' Falls! 2002?
    Marilyn Manson - The Orpheum in Minneapolis 2006?
    Marilyn Manson - Roy Wilkins Auditorium 2003
    Tool again - Xcel Energy Center - 2007? (10k days tour)

and finally...

Coal Chamber - Twisters Night Club Tea, SD 1999

Yes no kidding, tiny little night club in the middle of nowhere, with Dope and Slipknot as the openers. Nu-metal to the core, i had never, up to that point, been to such a insane show!

Honorable mentions:
    Soulfly with Neurosis - Twisters again - 1999
    Family Values - Target Center - 1998 (first time seeing R+...)
    Ozzfest 2001 - Apple River WI

That Ministry show though, let me tell you, holy shit was probably my favorite show ever. Paul was still with the band, Al was clean sober and healthy. I managed to be on the barricade for the whole set, they opened with the first 3 tracks in order from Animositisomina, and then proceeded to play practically everysong i could ever ask to hear from the semi-classic line up. Dead Guy, Filth Pig, Reload, NWO, Just One Fix, Hero and So What? They broke for encore and after a couple minutes, the intro loop from Breathe started up, NO Friggin WAY!!q That was and still is my favorite* Ministry track, and they couldnt have followed up with a better song than Stigmata. If I remember right, they closed with the cover of Light Pours Out Of Me.

*not including Over the Shoulder, Same Old Madness, Scarecrow or Lava
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 03-03-2014 at 08:54 AM. Reason: thought of some more

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I didn't want to include any of the same bands twice.

10. Mark Lanegan-- Paradise, Boston (2012)
    9. Doors of the 21st Century--Orpheum Theater, Boston (2003)
    8. Chickenfoot--Orpheum Theater Boston (2012)
    7. KISS-- Tweeter Center, Mansfield (2004)
    6. Monkees-- The Opera House, Boston (2013)
    5. Guns N' Roses, DNC Center, Worcester (2011)
    4. Tori Amos-- Bank of America Pavilion, Boston (2009)
    3. Van Halen-- Banknorth Garden, Boston (2007)
    2. Garbage--Avalon Boston (2005)
    1. Nine Inch Nails--Orpheum Theater Boston (2005)

Honorable mentions--Jesus and the Mary Chain, Stone Temple Pilots, Scott Weiland, Marilyn Manson, Jane's Addiction, Bush, Filter, Soundgaden.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 03-02-2014 at 07:25 AM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)

Lots of great concerts, but as these are the ones that come to my mind right now, they're probably the best to date:

Nine Inch Nails - 2007 second show in Munich
    Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - 2010 Munich
    Rob Zombie - 2012 Munich
    Fantomas and the Melving Big Band - 2006 Munich
    Oasis - 2009 Munich
    Mark Lanegan - 2012 Hamburg
    Rammstein - 2011 Berlin
    the Dillinger Escape Plan - 2008 Munich
    Atari Teenage Riot - 2012 Munich
    Refused - 2012 Munich

I really hope that the two NIN shows I'll be attending this year will make it into this ranking!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    hmm..
    Muse - Reading Festival 2002
    Glassjaw - Cardiff SU 2011
    Deftones / A Perfect Circle - Wembley Arena 2003
    Placebo - Bristol 2000
    Nine Inch Nails - London Scala 2013
    Wild Beasts - Cardiff Coal Exchange 2012
    Radiohead - Manchester 2003
    Anamanaguchi - Blip Festival 2011
    Cut Ribbons - Swn Festival 2012
    Mogwai - Bristol 2003

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidcalm View Post
    Nine Inch Nails - London Scala 2013
    *cries tears of still-freshly agonised frustration*

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    *cries tears of still-freshly agonised frustration*
    Too soon? It was a mighty fine gig...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I don't travel much so I have only watched bands who visit.
    My ten in some order

Deftones - 2010
    NIN - 2009
    Oasis - 2009 (for nostalgic reasons)
    MetallicA - 2013 (band was awesome as usual, night was almost ruined by greedy promoters)
    Franz Ferdinand - 2006 (was surprised at how good they are live)
    Deftones - 2013
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs - 2010
    Oasis - 2006
    Garbage - 2012
    Slayer - 2006 (good memories as it was with the Lombardo and Hanneman)

Catching KoRn, Rob Zombie, AIC, among others this week, cannot wait!
    Last edited by LaneSax; 03-02-2014 at 08:27 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Top 10 in no specific order (except U2 being my Number 1)

U2 - St Louis 2011
    Kanye West & Kendrick Lamar - Kansas City 2013
    The Flaming Lips - Kansas City 2007
    How To Destroy Angels - Chicago 2013
    LCD Soundsystem - Kansas City 2007
    Arcade Fire - Kansas City 2011
    Nine Inch Nails/MEW - Chicago 2009
    The National/Tame Impala - Kansas City 2013
    BlackDiamondSkye Tour - Kansas City 2010
    Sigur Ros, At The Drive-In, Jack White - Lollapalooza, Chicago 2010

Honorable Mentions:
    MUTEMATH - Lawrence, KS 2007
    M83 - Lawrence, KS 2010
    Brand New & Manchester Orchestra - Kansas City 2007

And also, just for fun, my first two concerts ever:

Static-X, Machine Head, Fear Factory - Kansas City 1999
    Dope, Slipknot, Coal Chamber - Kansas City 1999

Both lineups were supposed to perform as one whole show, but the second stage collapsed. So Dope, Slipknot, and Coal Chamber came back a month later and made up for it by playing in a super tiny bar. I was 10 or 11 at the time and my really cool mom took me to these.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Hey, this looks like fun!

*grabs his concert stub collection* Let's see...

I have them listed in chronological order in a binder, so that is how I will list them here too... Just gonna pick my top 10 as I flip though, so that is the order.

****DISCLAIMER**** Before we get started, I just want to say I was not able to come up with a Top 10. I'm sorry. I've been to too many awesome shows I had such a hard time narrowing it down to the 15 I did. And it's technically 17, as I have included 2 Back-to-back NIN show dates in 2 citys that were doing multiple nights together. I guess when you take out the duplicate bands, there would probably be 10. But I hold different shows close to my heart for different reasons and couldn't pick one over the other. There are still TONS I had to omit, but here we go:

1. Edgesfest '98 featuring - Green Day, Foo Fighters, The Tea Party, Econoline Crush, Holly McNarland, Sloan, Moist, Bif Naked, The Matthew Good Band, Rusty, Creed + more -July 4, 1998 @ Winnipeg Stadium- Winnipeg, MB (This was my first "real" concert, and it was awesome)

2. Coal Chamber With Slipknot and Dope - November 3, 1999 @ Le Rendezvous - Winnipeg, MB

3. Summersault 2000 featuring Foo Fighters, Smashing Pumpkins, A Perfect Circle, I mother earth, trebel charger, finger eleven + more - August 9, 2000 @ Winnipeg stadium. Winnipeg, MB

4. Rammstein with Godhead and Crossbreed - July 16, 2001 @ The docks. Toronto, ON

5. TOOL with Meshuggah - October 6, 2002 @ skyreach centre. Edmonton, AB

6. David Bowie with The Polyphonic Spree - April 7, 2004 @ Winnipeg Arena. Winnipeg, MB

7. KMFDM - Oct 13, 2004 @ Pyramid Cabaret. Winnipeg, MB

8. Nine Inch Nails with Dresden Dolls - May 9 and 10, 2005 @ Kool haus. Toronto, ON

9. Pemberton Festival - too lazy to list the lineup, there were over 100 bands there, but the main one was NIN. July 25-27, 2008. Pemberton, BC

10. Nine Inch Nails - Lights In The Sky. December 5, 2008. Save On Foods Memorial Centre. Victoria, BC

11. a Perfect Circle - Mer Des Noms Live - Nov 12, 2010 @ Showbox at the market. Seattle, WA

12. OhGr - Western Fallout 001 - Rickshaw Theatre. Dec 4, 2011. Vancouver, BC

13. Rammstein - Made in Germany - May 13, 2012 @ Rogers Arena. Vancouver, BC

14. Ghost - April 29, 2013 @ Commodore Ballroom. Vancouver, BC

15. Nine Inch Nails - Tension 2013 - Nov 15-16, 2013 @ Hard Rock Hotel. Las Vegas, NV

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Cypher View Post
    NIN -Warfield -The Fragile

-Louie
    This never happened.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    NIN in 08 and 13, Leonard Cohen in 08 and 11 I believe? Flaming Lips in 12, Bob Dylan 08 and 12. Don't have any others where I was 100% blown away that I can think of right off the top of my head. I guess Alexisonfire in 08 or 09 ish was pretty good too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    There have been far too many to list or rate next to each other but the very best two...

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Kool Haus Toronto 2003, front & center. The Nocturama Tour was the first tour without Blixa and this allowed the rest of the Bad Seeds to really step to the forefront. Truly an eerie and beautiful set.

Portishead, Berkley California, 2011, front & center. I had waited a decade to see this band. The performance by the SIX piece band was truly otherworldly. I was transported...elsewhere. My life is now broken up as "Before Machine Gun" & "After Machine Gun". That song's bass shook not only my bones, but also my soul and past lives as well.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Nine inch nails at the paldium. They played all of TDS

Daughters has excellent live energy.

The Mars Volta at the Catalyst in santa cruz

Explosions in the Sky in the redwoods of big sur.

ASMZ in san francisco

Gwar.

HTDA

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Violent Femmes, (old) Blue Note, Columbia, Mo., 1985
    Concrete Blonde, (old) Blue Note, Columbia, Mo., 1989; House of Blues, New Orleans, 2004
    Rolling Stones, Steel Wheels tour, Busch Stadium, St. Louis, 1989
    David Bowie, Sound + Vision tour, St. Louis Arena, 1990
    X, Bogart’s, Cincinnati, 1993; The Continental, Buffalo, 2003; plus the other times
    Jesus and Mary Chain w/ Mazzy Star, Buffalo, 1994 (the smoke machines set off the smoke alarms in the college gymnasium; I hopped in the car and went to see the show the next night, too, in Toronto at the Warehouse)
    Damien Rice, Massey Hall, Toronto, 2007
    Nine Inch Nails, the entire Wave Goodbye club tour, NYC and L.A. (I missed Chicago, which I spent in my hotel room with the NINflu, wah-wah), 2009
    The Replacements, reunion show at Riot Fest Toronto, 2013; plus the other times I saw them, whenever the hell those were
    Queens of the Stone Age, Murat Theatre, Indianapolis, 2013 (sentimental; Detroit show was best of the tour I saw)
    Last edited by jessamineny; 03-03-2014 at 11:16 AM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    - Nine Inch Nails - "WITH TEETH Tour" 2005 (with the Dresden Dolls)
    - Einsturzende Neubauten - "Ende Neu Tour" 1999 (daaaaaaaamn!)
    - Mogwai - 2006 (No tour i think, but the latest album they had was "Mr Beast")
    - Steven Wilson - "Grace for Drowning tour" 2012 (The concert was recorded for his first live DVD "Get all you deserve")
    - Pearl Jam - "Riot Act Tour" 2003 (I went to all three dates they did in my hometown)
    - Anthrax - "Greater of two evils tour" 2008 (Fuckin' awesome concert!)
    - PJ Harvey - "Uh Huh Her tour" 2004
    - James Brown - 2005 (I was lucky to catch him live!)
    - Vans Warped Tour 2005 (Not really a punk pro skater but had a blast!)
    - Glastonbury 2009 (Nuff said)
    - Nine Inch Nails - Wave Goodbye Tour 2009 (Roskilde Festival)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    2. Coal Chamber With Slipknot and Dope - November 3, 1999 @ Le Rendezvous - Winnipeg, MB
    Awesome, the day after I saw them! I remember Slipknot playing in order...

sic
    eyeless
    wait and bleed
    surfacing
    spit it out
    frail limb nursery into purity
    and closed with fuckin' scissors!

Awesome set, I dont remember what was played during set change, but before Coal Chamber came out, they started playing the theme from Nightmare Before Christmas, and had these strobe lights going. It was such an intense build up, they opened with Loco and as soon as Dez said "pull!" the place just went ape shit! @ManBurning IDK how big this Le Rendezvous place was, but Twisters had a capacity of like 1200-1300 people. This place was packed, everybody I knew at the time was at the show. Good times, good times

I always get so nostalgic when i come here guys. Here is some loot from the show

I love this flyer!!

Excuse the shittyness of my phone, but 16 year old me never again wore this pair of shoes after running into Joey after the show! Ive heard all sorts of stories about how he is a dick now, but in 1999 he was a pretty nice guy to a group of teenagers! lol

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    This never happened.
    you are correct it was the Cow Palace. I said the 90's were good to me

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Out of roughly 102+ shows.

10. The National, Local Natives, Wye Oak - Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - 2011 (Just an all around great show. The National is one of my favorite bands and this was my first and only time seeing them up until this point.)
    9. Red Sparowes, Russian Circles - The Crepe Place - 2008 (2 of my favorite bands at the time in a Crepe Resturaunt? Yes please! They had more energy than other shows that I've seen both bands at.)
    8. Grails, True Widow - The Rickshaw Stop - 2011 (I had been trying to see Grails for years and years and finally got to see them just 2 days before my birthday. They didn't disappoint. They just absolutely killed it.)
    7. Godspeed You! Black Emperor, OM - The Warfield - 2010 (The first time I saw Godspeed. I saw them a few more times since, but all but one of them topped the intensity of this show. Moving and emotional.)
    6. The Tallest Man on Earth, S. Carey - Henry Miller Library - 2010 (The Wild Hunt was my #1 or #2 album of 2010. So to see most of it performed live under the redwoods in Big Sur was quite a treat.)
    5. Bill Callahan - Don Quixote's International Music Hall - 2011 (Such a great show. The venue is nestled in the Santa Cruz Mountains, so my friends and I spent the day hiking around the woods and swam in a watering hole. Callahan and his band were at the top of their game that night.)
    4. Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra, Mantana Roberts - Great American Music Hall - 2012 (Before this show I had only been a casual fan of ASMZ. I've yet to see a band play with such passion and conviction as they did that night. The songs these guys write have life.)
    3. Nine Inch Nails, Autolux - Santa Cruz Convention Center - 2005 (I saw NIN 7 times from 2005-2009 and this was by far the best. In a venue about the size of an average high school gym. Amazing setlist. Crazy crowd. Aaron North. I was only 17 at the time, but I remember this show fondly.)
    2. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Fernwood Resort - 2012 (Godspeed under the stars and redwoods in Big Sur. Followed by camping. Best night of my life. Godspeed played my favorite set that I've seen them play. Perfect.)
    1. Isis, Jakob, Tombs - Great American Music Hall - 2010 (Isis' farwell tour. Rare for a band to leave when they are at their peak. I had seen them quite a few times before this, but they just kept getting better with every show. Perfect way to say goodbye.)

Honorable Mentions
    Explosions in the Sky, Twin Sister - Henry Miller Library - 2011
    Deafheaven, Marriages, Monuments Collapse - Bottom of the Hill - 2013
    The Bleeding Edge Festival (I watched Isis collaborate with Tim Hecker, Tim Hecker solo, Yo La Tengo, Black Dice, William Basinski, Matmos, Brightblack Morning Light, the Morning Benders, The Avett Brothers and more)

First Show
    Live 105's BFD (Watched: Deftones, AFI, The White Stripes, Interpol, The Roots, The Chemical Brothers, Hot Hot Heat, The Transplants, The Used, The All-American Rejects, The Ataris, Finch, The Donnas) - Shoreline Ampitheater - 2003

Worst/Most Disappointing Shows
    Van Halen, Shinedown - HP Pavilion - 2004
    Deftones, Dir En Grey, The Fall of Troy - Santa Cruz Convention Center - 2007
    Nine Inch Nails, Jane's Addiction, Street Sweeper Social Club - Shoreline Ampitheater - 2009
    A Perfect Circle, Red Bacteria Vacuum - Greek Theatre - 2011
    Dream Theater - ??? - ??? (I hated this show so much that I threw away the ticket and I can't find any info online about it)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    10.) NIN - Erie, PA circa 2005.
    Lost my shit b/c it was my 2nd NIN show, and 1st in the GA section. As I'm originally from an hour south of Erie, TR said something along the lines of "Everyone asks me why my songs are so dark and depressing, it's because I spent 18 years living in northwest PA!" and the place BLEW UP. Loved it.
    9.) M83 - Stockholm, Sweden circa 2008.
    1st time seeing them, and immediately fell in love with Morgan Kibby as she made love to the keyboard while singing.
    8.) Vader - Vasteras, Sweden circa 2009.
    First ever black metal show; saw many "shady characters" (aka Hell's Angels), as my buddy Markus would say.
    7.) M83 - Buffalo, NY circa 2012.
    Third time seeing them, just after Midnight City went through the roof. Unbelievable energy.
    6.) Mastodon/Dillinger Escape Plan - Buffalo, NY circa 2012.
    Killer show, met former DEP guitarist Jeff Tuttle (who is a great dude) behind the venue and had a small chat with him before the show. First time ever seeing Mastadon and they killed it.
    5.) Blind Pilot - Toronto, ON circa 2012.
    Great band, super intimate closing to their set where the band unplugged, came into the crowd, and had a sing-along ending to their set.
    4.) NIN - Prague, Czech Republic circa 2010.
    Stood on the rail, directly in front of Robin and we had a "moment" where we locked eyes, nodded at each other, and he turned around and proceeded to jam the fuck out. I also think he may have tweeted about our "moment" after - something along the lines of "I see you prague"...
    2 & 3.) Dillinger Escape Plan/Deftones - NYC, circa 2011.
    They played a 2 night set at the Best Buy Theater in Times Square. First night I was on the rail for DEP and it was a religious experience. During the breakdown of Sunshine The Werewolf, Greg motioned to myself and three other dudes to make room. He jumped off the stage, grabbed five of us, ran to the back of the pit/GA section and we all sang "DESTROYYYERRRRRRRRRR!" + the next verse together. We surfed him back to the stage, then Ben Weinman kicked me in the head and I played his guitar while he stood on the crowd. Friday's show was so fucking good, my buddy Brian and I scooped tix to see them Saturday as well only to experience the same shenanigans. Also - the Deftones were fucking on fire! Never seen them before then, and I was blown away by their energy and intensity. Chino is the real deal. Also noteworthy: Greg's backup vox on Passenger were enough to make the DEP haters/Deftones loyals do a double take and ask "Is that Maynard?!"
    1.) Dillinger Escape Plan, Pittsburgh PA March 31, 2010.
    Having flown back to the US because my sister was in ICU and on her way out, I needed to take an evening away from the madness at home. I saw DEP was playing and felt that there would be no better place to be than a room full of people screaming their faces off. I had been listening to Option Paralysis a lot leading up to the show, and felt that Farewell, Mona Lisa was a fitting tribute to my sister. It was the opener, and that show was an amazing, cathartic experience. My sister passed away the next day.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    best live shows I've seen were probably...

1. Tom Waits

2. Einsturzende Neubauten

3. Radiohead

4. cLOUDDEAD

5. David Bowie

6. Rachels

7. Tool (circa 98)

8. The National

9. 13 & God

10. NIN (most recent tour)

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    1. Radiohead with Supergrass- 2003 Houston, TX for the HTTT tour
    2. Arcade Fire- Coachella 2011
    3. My Morning Jacket- Bonnaroo 2011
    4. Pearl Jam- Austin City Limits 2009
    5. Nine Inch Nails with TV on the Radio and Bauhaus- June 2006 in San Antonio for the With Teeth Tour
    6. Kanye West- Austin City Lmits 2011
    7. Pavement with Times New Viking- Austin 2010
    8. Queens of the Stone Age and ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead- San Antonio 2003
    9. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds- Coachella 2013
    10. Wilco- San Antonio 2006

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Holy shit, great thread! Let me see, I haven't been to a ton of concerts so I'll just spew out some of my faves in no particular order:

Misfits: Anaheim 2011 (Best concert experience ever; not because of the band, but because I never laughed so hard in my life)
    Fiona Apple: Temecula 2005?/6? (Fucking crazy Fiona is the best!!!!!)
    Fiona Apple: Los Angeles 2012 (More crazy Fiona)
    NIN: Cabazon, CA 2006 (Spiral Club Show)
    NIN: Los Angeles 2008 (LITS era)
    Soundgarden: Los Angeles 2011
    Depeche Mode: Coachella 2006
    Lady Sovereign: Coachella 2006
    Tori Amos: Los Angeles 2007
    Morriessy: Los Angeles 2011

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Ten isn't enough, 12 was as few as i could trim...and i've been to a bunch of epic weird shows since I moved to L.A....
    3/10/1999 Marilyn Manson w/ Hole & Monster Magnet - Cow Palace
    -
    8/14/2002 Area2 Festival : David Bowie w/ Moby, Blue Man Group, Busta Rhymes, Ash The Avalanches, Dieselboy - Shoreline Ampitheatre
    -
    3/31/2006 Nine Inch Nails w/ Saul Williams - Key Club Morongo
    -
    3/3/2007 In The Attic: Pete Townshend w/Ben Harper, Rachel Fuller Alexi Murdoch, Joe Purdy, Tenacious D -The Hotel Cafe
    -
    8/17/2007 The Buzzcocks w/ The Adored, Easy Image - Spaceland
    -
    10/8/2007 Morrissey w/Kristeen Young - Palladium
    -
    10/3/2008
    Lou Reed, Ulrich Krieger & Sarth Calhoun -Roy And Edna Disney CalARTS Theatre (Redcat)
    -
    04/17/2009
    Coachella: Leonard Cohen also saw: Paul McCartney, Morrissey, Franz Ferdinand, The Airborne Toxic Event, M. Ward - Empire Polo Fields, Indio
    -
    07/02/2010 Jane's Addiction (w/Duff) - The Roxy
    -
    01/08/2011 Jandek (w Mike Watt & BJ Miller) - Crystal Cove Ampitheatre, University Of California Irvine
    -
    04/14/2011 Prince - The Forum
    -
    06/16/2011
    Booker T Jones w/ Nick Whitehouse (Booker T featured guests: Cut Chemist & Greg Dulli) - The Satellite (Spaceland)
    Last edited by innerturmoil; 03-03-2014 at 11:04 PM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Awesome, the day after I saw them!
    Oh dude, I have such an awesome story about this show. I was 16 years old as well, didn't have a job, so I couldn't really afford to go to concerts, so I never bought a ticket to this show. But I knew a hand full of people that were going. Actually, there was a meet and green with Slipknot at a local record store downtown this day. I had no idea who this "Slipknot" band was at the time, but I had a friend who was OBSESSED with them. I have no idea how he found out about them, but they were pretty new at the time, I didn't know who they were, but he skipped school to wait in line all day at this signing. Me and this other friend of mine decided to head downtown after school to see if we can see our friends at the signing, and we did. Our friends were like, wait in line with us and get signatues and I was like... I don't even know this band or anything, but friend was like who cares, you're here, they're just about to sign stuff. The thing is, I didn't have anything to get signed...

Or did I? Earlier that day at school, they actually handed out our yearbooks.... I figured, hey what they hell... yearbooks are for signing right? So I whipped it out...

That's right, slipknot signed my yearbook! LOL... They also decided to be funny and write "1666" under the 1999 part as you can see in the photo. I think it was Shawn "The Clown" who did that. he also asked me where my photo was so he could draw devil horns on it, but I said no nah don't do that.

So after the signing, my other friend and I who didn't have concert tickets decided to go with our other friends who did have tickets over to the venue, because... well, what else is a 16 year old going to do? Might as well go hang around the venue with out friends, right?

So we went, and hung out and met alot of cool people. But then it was time to start letting people in, so it was time to part ways. Myself and the other friend with me who didn't have tickets decide to go around to the side of the venue, and I have no idea who's idea this was, but we opened this door that was on the side of the venue, and to our surprise, it was unlocked. We walked inside to the kitchen of the venue. We were inside the kitchen with backpacks on, it was quite obvious we just walked in from outside. 2 guys then came in and we were like "oh we're lost, where is the main room to the show" and they just point thru this other door. So we went through the door and lo and behold, we were inside the fucking venue and we didn't pay a goddamn cent to get in!

That is why I put this concert on my top 10 concerts of all time list. I would like to think my musical tastes have matured from when I was 16. You don't catch me listening to Slipknot or Coal Chamber anymore going on 31, but it was an epic moment for us getting into the show for free and the lineup was KILLER. You don't have tours anymore like Coal Chmaber / Slipknot / Dope. That was an amazing lineup where all 3 bands were pretty big names back then.

IDK how big this Le Rendezvous place was, but Twisters had a capacity of like 1200-1300 people. This place was packed, everybody I knew at the time was at the show. Good times, good times
    Le Rendezvous was TINY as fuck... I googled the capacity and it says 725. The venue was shut down in the early 2000's and reopened again maybe 10 years after it was shut down. So i'm not sure if they remodelled it and changed the capacity. I seem to remember it allowing a little more people than that, but it was under 1000 people for sure.

You also mentioned that Joey was cool to you guys where people nowadays think he's a dick. I guess you could say that's what gaining fame does to you. The band was really cool when we met them as well, but they were just gaining popularity in 1999. I haven't seen or met the band since then, so I can't really judge on whether his attitude has changed other than what I see in interviews and stuff. Some interviews he does seem a little stuck up, but who knows. Like I said, fame can somewhat change a person's personality. Even touring with 8 other band members day in and day our would tend to change someone as well. People change as they grow older, who knows what happened.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    hmm, cool thread ...

1. arcade fire with lcd soundsystem and gossip as a surprise opener -- seattle, fall '07.

2. nin in reno at the hilton showroom, spring '05.

3. nin, fragility 2.0, with a perfect circle, salt lake city, summer '00.

4. tie: jill scott, the paramount in seattle, 2009? AND janet jackson's the velvet rope tour (w/usher), salt lake city, summer '98.

5. scissor sisters (tied, two separate shows), roseland in portland (ta-dah tour in '06, night work tour in '10).

5. lady gaga, the fame monster tour (with scissor sisters opening), energysolutions arena, salt lake city, march 2011.

7. tie: depeche mode, singles tour, boise '98 AND britney spears circus tour, energysolutions arena, salt lake city, spring '10?

8. tie: the magnetic fields, aladdin theater, portland '11 AND nin w/bauhaus and tv on the radio, boise spring '06.

9. tie: nin in salt lake city (w/autolux and qotsa -- spiral members gained entry to a 7-song soundcheck), fall '05 AND nin in el paso (filmed for 'byit') with saul williams, spring '06.

10. triple tie: ladytron in salt lake city, early summer '08 AND mgmt, salt lake city, '10? AND lcd soundsystem at the showbox in seattle, late 2006 or early 2007.

BONUS: marilyn manson, hole, monster magnet in boise, march 1999. DRAMA.

BONUS BONUS: private janelle monae show (the ENTIRE second suite!), los angeles '09.

honorable mentions to the following opening bands: crystal castles, deerhunter, yacht, etc.).
    Last edited by kel; 03-04-2014 at 12:39 AM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    The amount of people in this thread that saw the Dope, Slipknot, Coal Chamber tour in 1999 is staggeringly awesome.

The KC show was, I think, the day after this local girl named Pamela Buttler had been found murdered in a field, and Corey from Slipknot very forcefully made everyone in the Beaumont be quiet so that he could dedicate Purity to her, and I remember one guy being an asshole and "woooo'ing" while Corey was trying to talk, and the amount of venom that came through Corey's voice was fucking bone chilling. I remember him lunging towards the guy screaming that he'd beat the fuck out of him if he didn't shut up. That performance of that song was so goddamns eerie because of all of that.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    The amount of people in this thread that saw the Dope, Slipknot, Coal Chamber tour in 1999 is staggeringly awesome.
    For the Calgary stop of the tour, my 5 friends and I spent the entirety of Coal Chamber's headlining set backstage getting drunk with Slipknot lol. We had saw them at Ozzfest earlier in 1999 in Vancouver so couldn't miss out on the show. Met Joey there, he remembered us and told us to come hang out backstage...oh darn...I missed...Coal Chamber.

My list would be too big to narrow to 10 as well, but would definitely include:

- TOOL, both Paramount shows in 2001, the Vancouver stop with Tricky for the same tour, and the 10,000 Days stop at the Paramount again in 2006.

- Tom Waits, Oct 15/04 at The Orpheum in Vancouver and the next day at the Commodore. Was front row for his Orpheum show, he announces that the next day is the 75th anniversary of the Commodore, so he'll stay in Vancouver on a whim and play the Commodore the next night...tickets on sale noon the next day. After the show and meet and greet, which was a dream come true, my friend and I ran down the street and sat in front of the Commodore all night, got tickets at noon, went home to sleep for 5 hours, and went back for another insane show that was beyond perfect.

- Any of the 5 Sigur Ros shows and Jonsi show. The 2001 show was amazing as it was in a cathedral here in Vancouver, but the 2002 show stands out for me...waited for the band to come out after to get autographs, they eventually do...we ended up talking music for an hour...everyone else leaves, and Georg says to my friends and I 'Hey, its end of November and our long tour, we fly back to Iceland tomorrow for the last two shows in a few weeks, our label has set something up for us at a bar here that we don't know where it is...wanna show us and have a drink?' So we end up on Granville getting hammered with Sigur Ros and Amiina until 2am at which point we basically had to carry Jonsi back to their hotel. I still have the show-used bow he used and some bonkers pictures of the evening.

- All 8 NIN shows obviously, no explanation necessary.

- Front row for The Cure, Vancouver - May 2008. One of my all time favorite bands and the first concert I took this amazingly beautiful girl to that eventually became my wife.

- Summersault 2000 in Edmonton (Smashing Pumpkins and APC were the only reasons I went).

- APC at the Showbox in Seattle (Mer De Noms night).

- Both times I've seen Tricky, just something about the shows even though they were at the Vogue and Venue (relatively small venues).

- Massive Attack, Deer Lake Park in Burnaby in 2010. No explanation necessary.

- All three Radiohead shows were awesome, though the show in 2008 was outdoors and rained the ENTIRE TIME...I mean monsoon, jungle rain...so that was kinda lame.

Probably forgetting a bunch, and should put in any time I've seen GWAR as it's always hilarious but don't wanna write three pages.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Nice topic. I'll give it a shot.

In no particular order.

DJ Shadow - Live from the Shadowsphere at Club Soda (November 2010 in Montreal)
    Deftones - at Spectrum (July 2007 - Montreal)
    Muse - at Quai Jacques-Cartier (July 2006 - Montreal)
    Nine Inch Nails - Lights in the Sky at Air Canada Center (August 2008 - Toronto)
    Nine Inch Nails - at Molson Amphitheater (June 2006 - Toronto)
    Nine Inch Nails - Tension at Bell Centre ( November 2013 - Montreal)
    Nine Inch Nails - Fragility 2.0 at Bell Centre (April 2000 - Montreal)
    Björk - at Quai Jacques-Cartier (September 2007 - Montreal)
    Slipknot - World Domination Tour at Metropolis (April 2000 - Montreal)
    Green Day - at Bell Centre (July 2009 - Montreal)

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    this is tough... have seen a ton of concerts, most of which were great. some highlights:

1. david bowie- beacon theatre, 2002. intimate setting for my first and only bowie show. he played absolute beginners and a bunch of low cuts, among other surprises. wish we got 'belway brothers,' 'station to station,' or 'hallo spaceboy' which were somewhat common at the time, but i still can't complain. have no idea why i skipped the reality tour. bad timing, maybe? probably thought he'd be back again...

2. killing joke- irving plaza, 2013. call me when your band is as good in 20 years as the day you started... blew my face off.

3. nine inch nails- webster hall 2009. obvious reasons. was on rail for this, robin finck stage dived and landed directly on my head during 'march of the pigs.' seen the band about 15 times now, and the only one that comes close to this show was the jones beach show with bauhaus in 2006...

4. pj harvey- beacon theatre 2007. only time i've seen her, on tour for white chalk, which i adore. one woman show, rotating in a circular fashion to play different instruments during the show. really amazing!

5. the cure- pnc arts center, 2000. first time seeing the cure. since i didn't have heavy internet access, i had no idea that the band played such long sets, nor busted out so many deep cuts, so the show more than made up for the terrible seats . this one makes the cut even though i enjoyed the reflections tour at beacon theatre more from a musical point of view... sometimes, it's all about that first moment.

6. the fall- knitting factory. my only time seeing the band. show was slated to start at 11, but the band didn't bother coming on until 1am, with no support act. they played a short, antagonistic set that ended with mark e. smith throwing me the mic to sing the rest of 'new big prinz.' he fired his band (again) a few days later...

7. smashing pumpkins- radio city music hall 1998. my first concert, touring heavily behind an album i love. had great seats, had a great time. my second favorite show was terminal five in 2010 with two good friends in tow and a killer setlist, but the first stands out to me for obvious reasons.

8. carter tutti play chris and cosey- santo's party house 2014. i know it's super fresh in my mind, but it was FAR better than expected. perfect setlist, and even the new arrangements were beat-heavy and devastatingly good, which is more than i can say for front 242 when i saw them....

9. his name is alive- maxwells, 2006. i've seen this 4ad band half a dozen times, but this poorly attended show was my favorite. it was my birthday, they passed out bells and percussive instruments, and i won "two gold stars" for enthusiasm.

9. dead can dance- radio city music hall 2005. first time seeing them, never thought i'd have the chance. they played with a full string orchestra, which spoiled me for the more recent tour which was very cheese-keyboard heavy. this show, unlike the second time i saw them, was a revelation.

10. the wrens- luna lounge 2004. my friend had discovered the wren's sorely underrated and at the time, rare first record, silver in a dollar bin. again, with little access to the internet, we knew nothing about the band, but enjoyed their art damaged pixies meets dreampop vibe. after a bunch of misfires, the band finally got some indie attention and played a college not far from me. i went, loved it, and impressed them with a copy of that cd. flash forward a few months later, and i'm attending the CMJ festival via my radio station, and i made a point to be front and center for their performance at the ill fated luna lounge. they recognized me (and we had a few beers after), and during the show i took part in a band stunt in which the guitarist/keyboardist/second vocalist hopped on a monitor and played piano, jerry lee lewis style, while i was holding the stand (and the keyboard) in the air. no injuries, just pure showmanship!

other gigs i loved and hate to leave out:

modern english, le poisson rouge 2010
    the ex, maxwells 2006
    the church, city winery 2010
    robin guthrie/brendan perry, irving plaza 2011
    nick cave and the badseeds- both beacon theatre in 2013 and roseland in 2003.
    wire are always consistently great, and i've seen them four times now... can't pick a favorite
    nitzer ebb, gramercy 2009
    new model army- maxwell's 2006
    codeine, the bell house 2012
    psychedelic furs, supper club 2005
    for against, bell house 2010 (felt weird that they opened when i was in the chameleons, felt they were the best band that night even over us)
    placebo, irving plaza 2001
    tuxedomoon, le poisson rouge 2008
    crime and the city solution, music hall of williamsburg 2012 - almost didn't make this one but glad i did
    peter gabriel- jones beach 2012
    the wake, littlefield 2010
    iron maiden, izod center 2008
    devo, mccarren pool 2008
    faith no more- both times in 2011
    tamaryn, the knitting factory 2012. best show i've ever seen from a friend's band.
    ashrae fax, glasslands 2013. second best show i've seen from a friend's band.
    xeno and oaklander/a place to bury strangers- can't pick one from the dozen or so times i've seen both bands, but are almost always great
    revolting cocks (minus al), the metro 2010
    the faint, webster hall 2004
    wovenhand, knitting factory 2008
    garbage, webster hall 2012
    omd, terminal five (hate this venue), 2011
    public image ltd., terminal five 2010

sorry that's a huge list, but all of those gigs were amazing for one reason for another. i can only think of four i HATED:

1. jesus and mary chain, webster hall 2007. completely boring and non-eventful
    2. my bloody valentine, roseland 2008. way too loud, even with earplugs, with no sense of melody or purpose. walked out at the end.
    3. ladytron, webster hall 2009. the faint blew them off stage. we are the robots.
    4. grouper, new museum 2009. she was amazing, but the crowd talked and made noise through the entire set, dulling the effect.

total list (missing a ton of the weekly wierd shows, and others i may have forgotten over the years):
    http://www.setlist.fm/concerts/frankieteardrop