551 Post(s)
    Best nin show I've ever seen

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

2013.11.08 - Los Angeles, CA @ Staples Center

Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Best nin show I've ever seen
    Agreed dude!

Also great to meet Jeff and Matt from APC at the gig.
    Last edited by virushopper; 11-09-2013 at 02:25 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well that was fun. I confess, one of the tamest nin shows I've been to. I got a friendly nudge during MOTP / Wish, but that's about it. Still, I don't mind trent's new funk/sex rock + backup singer combo. That, and the lights are pretty batshit -- but at this point, I'm just preaching to the choir.

At the risk of having nothing interesting to say, I confess, I do love the new nin ticketing process. Get in line, get your wristband, get some food, get inside, get in line again all southwest-style, friendly walk to the rail, hang out. A+

Also, clearly I missed the earlier setlists when trent added freakin' Lights in the Sky to the playlist. Hooray!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Damn. I'm floored. I don't think any concert will top that for a while. Pino is a fucking rockstar on that bass.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Good. Shit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I would also say out of 11 shows I've seen, even with crappy seats, this was at least top 3. Was I mistaken that they played way more songs than usual, maybe because of the taping? No into the void, no reptile, no echoplex, no tdtwwa, but it felt like a crazy long show. The visuals were definitely better than LITS, I saw two of those shows plus watched toiou countless times; this light show was better. Band was great, backup singers were amazing.

If the show wasn't ultimately sold out it was extremely close. During the last few songs they blasted the arena with light and people were filled to the top in the upper deck all the way around the arena. And the energy was great. Last few songs, every one was up dancing and cheering, even in the upper deck. Really great show.
    Last edited by matt925; 11-09-2013 at 02:43 AM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    For those who are wondering who Trent was referencing to right before "Twilight", http://www.ocweekly.com/2013-10-17/m...-colon-cancer/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Good show, although a lot of people around me and in general decided to use any new song as a time to get beer and food. And everyone thought that Explosions In The Sky was just backround music to talk about your dumb work week. Lots of vids, should almost all be uploaded by morning. Solid sound too.

MOTP
    All Time Low
    Came Back Haunted
    In Two
    The Big Come Down
    Somewhat Damaged
    Satellite
    Even Deeper
    In This Twilight

Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post
    For those who are wondering who Trent was referencing to right before "Twilight",

I know Andrew. I photograph shows on the side and have been fortunate to have done quite a few gigs and festivals with him there the last couple of years. Nobody more deserving right now to get a song dedication than him. Hoping I can see him again before things get worse.
    Last edited by suprefan; 11-09-2013 at 02:48 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It was a great show!! My first in the US!!! setlist was as follows:

1-"Copy Of A"
    2-"1,000,000"
    3-"Terrible Lie"
    4-"March Of The Pigs"
    5-"Piggy"
    6-"All Time Low"
    7-"Disappointed"
    8-"Came Back Haunted"
    9-"Find My Way"
    10-"Various Methods Of Escape"
    11-"The Frail"
    12-"The Wretched"
    13-"Sanctified"
    14-"In Two"
    15-"The Big Come Down"
    16-"Survivalism"
    17-"Running"
    18-"A Warm Place"
    19-"Somewhat Damaged"
    20-"Wish"
    21-"The Hand That Feeds"
    22-"Head Like A Hole"
    23"Satellite"
    24-"Even Deeper"
    25-"In This Twilight"
    26-"While I'm Still Here"
    27-"Black Noise"
    28-"Hurt"

Correct me if I'm wrong

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I really enjoyed the show and the general funk vibe. The lights were really cool during Disappointed; they used the three screens for a 3D effect similar to one used in the HTDA shows. I also enjoyed the nature visuals during Even Deeper. It was nice to hear the new version of Sanctified. The back up singers really added something special to the show.

I was disappointed to not get ATLITW, but there's always Las Vegas. I also ran into some people whom I hadn't seen since the ARG, which was really nice.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Yeah, I don't mind not getting ATLITW so Andrew could enjoy one of his favorites. Great fucking show, wonderful queue and fun barricade buddies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    can't even process what i witnessed from perhaps the most incredible vantage in entire arena, basically first row of seats directly behind soundboard (section 106 row 4). so incredibly happy i invested in lower level for this show. after lights in the sky 2008 at forum, where i got amazing seats from the band but was too close/off to side to enjoy the layered screen effects this time i got the full production experience. and it was a mind melter. i'm just going to leave it at that. words aren't going to do you or me justice. i need some time to let this sink in. suffice it to say: see this tour

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That setlist was fucking SPECTACULAR! As a huge fragile fan, I really appreciated hearing Even Deeper AND THE BIG COMEDOWN!!! That song was such an amazing surprise. Fuck, that was a great show. That mosh pit got pretty intense. I was totally out of energy by the time THTF and Head like A Hole happened, sadly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Show was awesome. Setlist was awesome. Ticket process was awesome. Getting rail (I usually get seats) was awesome.

Not awesome was watching a girl pass out behind me and the security guard blocking my view most of the show.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I have to say I'm shocked at how good it sounded. I've never seen a show at The Staples center that sounded even remotely decent, but this sounded amazing.

When I first heard about the backup singers, I didn't imagine that working, but it was great. Has he done Sunspots with them hitting the fallsetto notes at all on this tour, because I imagine that could work really great.

Everything about it... and the bassist killed it. Especially on Sanctified. The surprising highlights for me were 1,000,000 and A Warm Place. Actually, 1,000,000 was my "heavy highlight" from the whole show. Fucking amazing. I've also gained a new appreciation for the new material. I was split on a lot of the new stuff, but after hearing the live renditions I get some of the stuff that didn't work for me.

I would say that one of my favorite songs on the album, Various Methods, didn't translate as well live. I also felt like Running didn't blow me away, but these are small complaints. This was one of the best arena-rock shows I've ever seen... fuck, it might be the best arena show I've seen.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    March Of The Pigs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just realized they didn't play Closer. Kudos, Reznor. I hardly even noticed.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    When Lisa and Charlotte sang... nay, screamed... nay, WAILED during the chorus of The Wretched, my entire body broke out in goosebumps. Holy fucking shit. Highlight of the show for me. I was NOT expecting a song I've listened to for nearly 15 years to hit me so primally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Pretty awesome show. I had nose bleed seats which I could tell messed with some of the visuals, but I'll be sure to buy tickets earlier on next time. I was sad no The Day The World Went Away, but In This Twilight made up for it. Trent joked about how no one ever heard that song since it was one of the last tracks on Year Zero and no one made it that far. The little video that plays in the background with the city and explosions is so awesome with the music, I remember it vividly from the LITS tour show in Massachusetts, they closed with with that song.

Shoutout to the girl in my section (316) that was standing up and jamming out the whole time, you're awesome. No one in that whole section stood up during the show except for like 5 people, I wanted to but I'm way tall and didn't want to block people's views I know everyone enjoys concerts differently but that bummed me out a lot.
    Last edited by RPM1123; 11-09-2013 at 04:37 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you Trent. Have to say it because the show was amazing, and as a fan, I felt that I was treated really well for the money I spent on the nin.com pre-sale. The pre-sale entrance was really well organized, I got early entrance, and I didn't have to worry about losing my place in line to get drinks thanks to the numbered wrist band system. Plus I had some cool people to talk to that I met that night (shout out to Tom and Gene if you remember that long blonde-haired guy... and are also miraculously reading this on this site)

I created an account just now, just so I could post on here about this show.. hah! But it was amazing! I hadn't looked up any set lists or any videos of the previous shows, and I'm glad that I didn't because it was great to see everything fresh. As always, NIN is simply one of the best bands that I've ever seen live. The only show that I can think of that might have NIN topped is when I saw Roger Waters perform The Wall Live, that's about it. And as far as NIN shows go, this was my 6th one and it was right up there with the LITS show at the forum and the summer 2006 show in Irvine when I saw them play La Mer/Into the Void for the first time. It's hard say any one of those shows was better than the other, but I gotta say, the new album really works well live with the band and stage-setup they've got going on. And my god, the backing singers were awesome, especially with them going crazy at the end of While I'm Still here/Black Noise. Hearing them wailing over the wall of beautiful NIN noise in that song was pure bliss. What a great show.

I have some crappy videos I decided to record on a whim on a phone. I may post them later. And in case you were wondering, the vids were taken during HLAH, in this twilight, while i'm still here, even deeper, and hurt
    Last edited by Simtaur; 11-09-2013 at 05:05 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Am I the only one that noticed a saxophone solo?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Also, yes, I noticed you were crying. You were not alone.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    All Time Low

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Came Back Haunted

In Two

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Satellite

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

2013.11.08 - Los Angeles, CA @ Staples Center

Managed to scalp some tickets for 65 bucks. Immediate stage left. Got to watch the inner workings. Super cool. My friend was bummed they didn't play more hits. But I was pretty happy with the show overall.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    My friend was bummed they didn't play more hits.
    They played enough hits if you ask me. The balance was pretty close to perfect.

But also... in response to VenturaLocal, I don't think that qualifies as a "saxophone solo."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VenturaLocal View Post
    Am I the only one that noticed a saxophone solo?

2013-11-08-2528 by Al Pavangkanan, on Flickr