Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Music Documentaries

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Just finished watching this South Bank Show http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_South_Bank_Show about Bjork. It's quite old but it's still interesting, and Bjork is a treasure to view at any point in her career.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The South Bank special on Nick Cave is absolutely superb

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Not sure if this has been posted but HATED, the documentary abotu GG Allin, is incredibly fascinating.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Surprised that nobody's mentioned "Searching for Sugar Man" yet. Make of it what you will, but it seems that everyone I've been talking to is now at least pretending to be somewhat obsessed with Rodriguez because they watched this doc, and now he's playing Coachella on the waves of his newfound popularity. It's all pretty fascinating, though I'm not sure I can completely get on board with the assessment that his music is as good as the film insists it is.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    But the film is such a finely crafted documentary, with a great narrative and twists uncommon to other linear docs. It's fantastic and really heartwarming. Besides, what's the big difference between experiencing the movie and becoming an avid fan versus having a friend play you several songs and recounting the whole, true story of Sixto Rodriguez and becoming the same? The music and story are reaching ears either way, as they rightly deserve. The film insists this, and apparently many other people agree. He seems to be the American Nick Drake that stuck around — I think we're the better for it.

IMO

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by keysersoze View Post

Sad thing to watch.
    Bunch of fucking assholes, fans from a stupid band.
    "woot-woot"
    Whats the name of the charity that made this infomercial and how can I get into contact with them to make a generous donation to help these poor children?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

This is pretty good, not a docu about music as such, more a portrait of Genesis and Jaye as they go about their lives.
    http://www.balladofgenesisandladyjaye.com/ballad/

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    But the film is such a finely crafted documentary, with a great narrative and twists uncommon to other linear docs. It's fantastic and really heartwarming. Besides, what's the big difference between experiencing the movie and becoming an avid fan versus having a friend play you several songs and recounting the whole, true story of Sixto Rodriguez and becoming the same? The music and story are reaching ears either way, as they rightly deserve. The film insists this, and apparently many other people agree. He seems to be the American Nick Drake that stuck around — I think we're the better for it.
    I'm not intentionally being derisive. It is a great documentary, and it's certainly compelling. I don't hold it against the movie in any way for presenting Rodriquez as the long lost American Nick Drake, it's important to the story. I don't blame people for discovering his music through the movie. Hell, I'll almost certainly be catching his set at Coachella.

The only issue I take is with the musical component requiring the narrative, but I'm not trying to be overly cynical. If anything, I think it's a fascinating phenomenon.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Camille View Post

This is pretty good, not a docu about music as such, more a portrait of Genesis and Jaye as they go about their lives.
    http://www.balladofgenesisandladyjaye.com/ballad/
    Yes indeed... recently got my very own copy (comes in a nice slipcase).

Very moving film.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    The only issue I take is with the musical component requiring the narrative, but I'm not trying to be overly cynical. If anything, I think it's a fascinating phenomenon.
    It is fascinating, yes. I certainly found out about and got into his music because of the film's narrative! And yet...he had no "narrative" in South Africa for decades. They were unknowingly a part of it. So, I believe his music is very appealing even while excluding the influence of the film as we already have evidence to support that. [I'm also jealous you'll see him at Coachella! He's coming around NYC, but I'm saving money for ATP UK.]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I would be horribly disappointed if NY is NOT on the Sound City soundtrack in some way. This film was lacking a live jam with Mr. Young, unlike everyone else who is historically important to this space & stepped up to play again. Neil releases an album a year it seems. WTF?

But I'm a Winnipegger, so...
    Last edited by Stereo75; 02-07-2013 at 12:54 PM. Reason: NOT! I'm theee man! I'm so bad - I should be in detention!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stereo75 View Post
    I would be horribly disappointed if NY is NOT on the Sound City soundtrack in some way.

But I'm a Winnipegger, so...
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/so...el/id585812146

Sorry for the disappointment.

I really enjoyed the Sound City doc, watched it the night I got it. Watched Shut Up and Play the Hits recently too, that was really well-done also (I mostly bought it for the concert, though).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post

Sorry for the disappointment.
    No disappointment, eh.

Just a thanks.

What an incredible film.

I'm trying it on my jam mates tomorrow night & we're gonna do a 2 mic session afterwards...

They will oblige.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    Not sure if this has been posted but HATED, the documentary abotu GG Allin, is incredibly fascinating.
    I just finished watching this and i'm a bit puzzled really. I can't understand what is so fascinating about this docu or indeed GG Allin. Someone got a girl to piss in his mouth for his birthday, then he pukes up bbq sauce over his face......okaaay! For someone with such notoriety attached to their name, that is all they could find to tell us? They managed to interview a few shitbrains for this but no one including Allin himself really gave us any sort of insight into his life or music.
    All I really learned about him from this is that he was on the run from the cops a lot, shat on stage a lot and threw it at the audience.

Still, each to their own.
    Last edited by Camille; 02-11-2013 at 11:05 AM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    That's coming on Showtime this weekend. I already got my DVR set to watch both parts. As overrated as they are, I am interested to see how they succeed and such and maybe asks questions into why they're so hated.

After all, I still think is the best reaction about the Eagles in general

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Ironically, The Big Lebowski ​has been on the Showtime networks quite a bit lately.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I Dream of Wires looks pretty fascinating, especially if you're a synth geek.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I just finished watching this and i'm a bit puzzled really. I can't understand what is so fascinating about this docu or indeed GG Allin. Someone got a girl to piss in his mouth for his birthday, then he pukes up bbq sauce over his face......okaaay! For someone with such notoriety attached to their name, that is all they could find to tell us? They managed to interview a few shitbrains for this but no one including Allin himself really gave us any sort of insight into his life or music.
    All I really learned about him from this is that he was on the run from the cops a lot, shat on stage a lot and threw it at the audience.

Still, each to their own.
    It was a microscope into the period in his life that would eventually be close to his last, I believe he died either a year or a couple months later. I thought when they talking to a lot of his childhood friends and teachers, it was quite some insight into his life. When he used to dress in women's clothing, he looked like a young Ariel Pink! I enjoyed the fan's perspective on him as well as the ex band member who clearly had nothing nice to say about GG.

GG Allin is a weird favorite of mine, it's hard to explain. I think what appeals to me the most is how much he lived his life his way and while sure, the kind of debauchery isn't for everyone and not really should be...it's incredibly interesting to me in a freak show sort of way. GG Allin's main music (not the folk and acoustic stuff he did on the side) although while being very punk, to me fits perfectly in that outsider music kind of category like artists like Tiny Tim (who was a GG Allin fan), Jandek and Tonetta. They are in their own world and are really one of a kind. Sure, his shows were basically a reason for fans to get drunk, punch the lead singer in the face and hide from flinging poo poo...but there's something that always kind of has me intrigued with him as a performer.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    @ thefragile_jake, perhaps I was a little blunt in my dislike of the GG Allin film. There is obviously more to the guy's life than what was given to us in the documentary. I guess I was just a little disappointed in it, i'm not even really sure what I expected.
    Cheers for the level headed reply.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    @ thefragile_jake, perhaps I was a little blunt in my dislike of the GG Allin film. There is obviously more to the guy's life than what was given to us in the documentary. I guess I was just a little disappointed in it, i'm not even really sure what I expected.
    Cheers for the level headed reply.
    Thank you! What's even crazier about the film is the director of it went on to make the comedy movie Old School.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I Dream of Wires looks pretty fascinating, especially if you're a synth geek.
    I'm surprised more people on here aren't interested in this movie.

reznor is in it by the way

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The first part of the Eagles doc was pretty good. I'm a fan, so I'm a little biased. Nothing I'd recommend with hand on heart to a Nine Inch Nails message board, but worth the two hours.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I saw some of it last night. Oh man, the story about Glenn Frey wanting to fight Don Felder after a charity show. Honestly, that is hilarious. You can't make up shit like this nowadays. I'll try and watch it later on.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    It was a microscope into the period in his life that would eventually be close to his last, I believe he died either a year or a couple months later. I thought when they talking to a lot of his childhood friends and teachers, it was quite some insight into his life. When he used to dress in women's clothing, he looked like a young Ariel Pink! I enjoyed the fan's perspective on him as well as the ex band member who clearly had nothing nice to say about GG.

GG Allin is a weird favorite of mine, it's hard to explain. I think what appeals to me the most is how much he lived his life his way and while sure, the kind of debauchery isn't for everyone and not really should be...it's incredibly interesting to me in a freak show sort of way. GG Allin's main music (not the folk and acoustic stuff he did on the side) although while being very punk, to me fits perfectly in that outsider music kind of category like artists like Tiny Tim (who was a GG Allin fan), Jandek and Tonetta. They are in their own world and are really one of a kind. Sure, his shows were basically a reason for fans to get drunk, punch the lead singer in the face and hide from flinging poo poo...but there's something that always kind of has me intrigued with him as a performer.
    The appeal for me is he took the lifestyle and persona to the limit... rock n roll is not just music (luckily for him!). His career is a finger up to pompous musicians who think it's all about innovation and drawing attention to how competent they are as musicians... totally forgetting that theatre, presence, ethos etc are all massively important parts of the experience for a lot of people

Not that GG was some magisterial frontman, but he took it SO FAR and lived it 24/7, we have millions of bands who overdo the wanky virtuoso thing, it's nice to have something from the other end of the scale, where - let's be honest, the music is the last thing you hear about

GG taking a shit onstage and kicking someone in the face is NINE MILLION times better than having to watch those cunts from dream theatre illustrate how many woodshed hours they've clocked up

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Watched this last night, which is streaming on Hulu.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Did anyone watch that Beyonce doc last night on HBO? I caught some of it on TV last night and... man, she is so full of herself.

She is seriously becoming over-saturated.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Have always found Beyonce painfully dull in every form. Her music is bland, her interviews are very fake and contrived she does not seem unique in any way. She is sooo safe, she sucks compared to Kelis, Aaliyah (rip) or most other female RNB soul singer from the past decade, Her dancing is annoying. She is and always will be this brand. She has some seriously powerful people behind her, not to mention her father. She seems nice, but i cannot fathom why she is so big?

GG Allin was an actual psychopath. A psychopath with a platform. Hated to me seems like a documentary of what happens when you combine the two, seriously that guy needed to be on a leash. He was a timebomb like Sid Vicious. The amount of total morons in that film is what ruined it the people who were attracted or who leeched on to him, they are so stupid its unreal, sort of reminded me a bit of Natural Born Killers celebrating something so dark and tragic. I wonder how many of them are alive?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Couple of golden oldie documentaries about Kate Bush here. Both contain rare live and rehearsal footage, backstage footage and interviews surrounding her one and only tour in 1979 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tour_of_Life
    First up is a German made docu from 1980, followed by the BBC Nationwide film. Both are treasures, Kate is wonderfully innocent when interviewed and the live footage is different to that of the official Hammersmith footage. Great stuff.
    Enjoy.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Great reccomendation everyone!

From this thread I watched 30th century man, the scorcese harrison doc, and Fix

Holy. I knew Al Jourgensen was messed up but he went far beyond that in FIX.