Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN Austin City Limits show aired April 5, 2014

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

NIN Austin City Limits show aired April 5, 2014

Anyone else hear about this surprise?!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    "Nine Inch Nails are set to tape a performance on Austin City Limits on November 4. The show will air on PBS stations across the country in 2014."

http://tour.nin.com/acl

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Well, I should have put two & two together earlier. Since the festivals wouldn't have the full production, the tour personnel identified specific items that would be needed for the festival shows and labeled them as such. Turns out they also flagged "ACL" as well, but I didn't make the connection until now.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Fuck yessssss

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    wow. really hope some ETSers (is that what we're called?) can make it. and provide the rest of us with some spoilers. supposedly, attendance is limited to 800 people.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    What kind of show is this? A festival? Tension or festival production? I hope that doesn't mean we won't get a live dvd release.
    Last edited by Fist Fuck; 10-29-2013 at 01:03 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fist Fuck View Post
    What kind of show is this? A festival? Tension or festival production? I hope that doesn't mean we won't get a live dvd release.
    They're playing at The Moody Theater. It's a small venue. I'm not sure if they can pull off the full Tension production. They'd be cutting it close. https://www.google.com/search?q=the+...w=1366&bih=553

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    has anyone seen any similar bands on ACL? how has their shows compared to their regular concerts? i've only seen folk-type groups.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corona Radiata View Post
    They're playing at The Moody Theater. It's a small venue. I'm not sure if they can pull off the full Tension production. They'd be cutting it close. https://www.google.com/search?q=the+...w=1366&bih=553
    They don't use the full theater for show tapings, there's a good hit on that page that describes it.

Edit: & here's a shot of the current stage setup for TV tapings I found on Wikipedia

So it'll probably just be the band set up on this stage, probably none of the Tension production. I think the whole point of playing Austin City Limits is playing Austin City Limits, with, uh, all the Limit-ations that brings.
    Last edited by skullboy0; 10-29-2013 at 01:54 PM. Reason: added pic of the stage instead of making a new post

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Oh god the impossible pain of not being able to get there. A little too far to drive on a Sunday and fares a little too much. I hope some of you get in and tell the rest of us everything.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    has anyone seen any similar bands on ACL? how has their shows compared to their regular concerts? i've only seen folk-type groups.
    I saw the Deftones there and it was awesome. The sound is great and there's not a bad seat in the house. But as far as stage size and production, I would guess it would be the festival amount of production, not the full Tension experience. But hey, if I could get into this, I'd take any kind of show/production I could get!

I registered for the drawing, so here's hoping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Being just a few towns over from Austin, I was all over this like white on muthafuckin rice. I've always wanted to go to an ACL Live show and going to one for my favorite band of all time ever would be...indescribable

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    OMG, I'm fucking DVRing that man. More NIN on TV is good!!!!!

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Reading up on this- looks like every show is 60 minutes, and I'm guessing that's a rule stickler so all the shows are unique but the same. (Did that make any sense?)

Kind of glad it's airing next year, will be something to look forward to with them switching up from Tension to festival to Vegas in the coming weeks. (NIN overload)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Woah...really hoping for a way into this one. The stage is only big enough to fit the band, not much else. They typically close off the upper balcony for tapings, but open it up for larger acts. I imagine NIN will get the full ~2500 capacity.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Per http://acltv.com/faq/

What are these live streaming events?

Did you know that while tapings can last up to two hours, actual Austin City Limits episodes broadcast on PBS are only 57 minutes long? This means we are only able to include 10-12 songs per episode! In some cases that time is shared between two artists, meaning we may only be able to include 5-6 songs from the set! We collaborate with the artists to choose a mix of songs that best showcases the performance, but what about the rest of the songs?
    This is why ACL Live Streams are so important; they’re a ONE TIME chance to catch the entire show, as it’s happening, in High Definition! You finally have a chance to see every song from these historic nights, produced and mixed by our award winning ACL crew! You can watch live streams on our YouTube channel. Be sure to subscribe to our channel so you don’t miss any!
    Live Streams are a one-time deal! I repeat, you can only watch the live stream once, so stay tuned to our website, mailing list, and Facebook page for important taping and streaming announcements. If you miss it, you’ll have to wait for the broadcast on PBS. Moving forward we’re doing our best to bring you as many live streams of tapings as possible.

Will you ever repeat the program that includes (insert your favorite artist here)?

After an episode is produced, public television stations have rights to broadcast it four times in three years. Unless the program is still within its three-year window, it is not available for broadcast.

Are CDs or DVDs available?

As the programs are produced for public broadcasting and commercial release is not the priority, rights obligations have made issuing the programs on CD or DVD a challenge. Not an insurmountable one, however: KLRU has recently partnered with New West Records to begin releasing selected episodes from the archives as the Live From Austin TX series. Information on the current catalog can be found here.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Record this motherfucker.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    There will be no fan recording of this, you do it, and you'll be kicked out. They film this for the series. Tapings are for the audience who are selected by a lottery system from the website. Judging by this one, very few people will be selected as tickets get handed out to people in the know. The special will be an hour long, but the show itself is usually longer. I saw Neko Case play it a few weeks back and she played for two hours. Sometimes artists will redo a song if they feel they missed something the first time around. Probably only 800 to 1000 will be in attendance, definitely no tour stage since it's small and they'll be in San Antonio the next day. It's not just for folk music, Austin City Limits has specialized in bringing together some of the most sought after acts in music for nearly 40 years, whoever said that borderline offended not me, but the great people I'm close to who help put this taping together.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    There will be no fan recording of this, you do it, and you'll be kicked out.
    I think Corona meant record the live stream of it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    It's not just for folk music, Austin City Limits has specialized in bringing together some of the most sought after acts in music for nearly 40 years, whoever said that borderline offended not me, but the great people I'm close to who help put this taping together.
    if you're referring to my post, i said that i had only seen folk music performance from ACL (on TV), not that that's all that has happened. i'm somewhat offended that you would interpret the presentation of folk music as a put down. (well, really, i just think you misread what i said. but if you are saying folk music is lesser music, i would be offended.)

i think Corona Radiata was talking about recording the broadcast. but if not, yeah, this is a free show where they obviously don't want tapers, so, i wouldn't try it.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Yes, I was talking about recording the internet stream (assuming there is one).

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

NIN playing Austin City Limits 11/4

There will be no fan recording of this, you do it, and you'll be kicked out. They film this for the series. Tapings are for the audience who are selected by a lottery system from the website. Judging by this one, very few people will be selected as tickets get handed out to people in the know. The special will be an hour long, but the show itself is usually longer. I saw Neko Case play it a few weeks back and she played for two hours. Sometimes artists will redo a song if they feel they missed something the first time around. Probably only 800 to 1000 will be in attendance, definitely no tour stage since it's small and they'll be in San Antonio the next day. It's not just for folk music, Austin City Limits has specialized in bringing together some of the most sought after acts in music for nearly 40 years, whoever said that borderline offended not me, but the great people I'm close to who help put this taping together.
    While I was growing up, ACL featured Texas music and I was never into any form of country so I avoided it like the plague. I was actually surprised to learn that they widely broadened their focus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    All I can remember about ACL was being tortured by it on PBS before Doctor Who would air when I was a little kid. I remember a bunch of hicks playing fiddles and blowing on jugs etc, lol. Just a bunch of country and folk singers. So it's pretty fucking awesome NIN will be performing on this show! First time in my life I'll look forward to Austin City Limits!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Master View Post
    All I can remember about ACL was being tortured by it on PBS before Doctor Who would air when I was a little kid. I remember a bunch of hicks playing fiddles and blowing on jugs etc, lol. Just a bunch of country and folk singers. So it's pretty fucking awesome NIN will be performing on this show! First time in my life I'll look forward to Austin City Limits!
    Ha yeah it seemed like every time I happened upon ACL, ROY CLARK was on. So when I was a kid, I associated ACL with a kind of higher level of Hee Haw. If you would've told me that a band like NIN would play on ACL, back then, I would've accused you of ingesting PCP.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Pearl Jam play ACL in 2009. If I remember correctly, the broadcast took about 6 months to air after the show. I had it on one of my DVRs before it blew up. Here's one of the songs so you can get an idea of what their setup was. The backdrop is the same as the one posted above.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    For some reason I chuckle a little thinking about NIN on PBS.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    It doesn't look like this will be streamed.

http://www.youtube.com/user/AustinCityLimitsTV/

ACL had an upcoming event listing for Portugal The Man before their stream today. After their stream, it now shows the next upcoming event as Sarah Jarosz on Nov. 10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy

I am so jealous of anyone that can get into this show. I've only seen Wilco and Willie Nelson at a taping, not to mention several other artists for regular shows. The sound is great and there isn't a bad seat in the house. The stage is only a foot or two off the ground.

Tickets for tapings usually get you a standing spot on the floor. Upstairs is mostly for VIPs and company sponsored booths. So don't be surprised if you see some empty seats up in the balcony.
    Last edited by Dinki Di; 10-30-2013 at 11:33 PM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinki Di View Post
    Tickets for tapings usually get you a standing spot on the floor. Upstairs is mostly for VIPs and company sponsored booths. So don't be surprised if you see some empty seats up in the balcony.
    It's now a first come basis. The earlier you get there, the best chance you have to getting on the floor, the past few tapings I've been to, I got there about 20 minutes before showtime and we got seats in the balcony.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That's good to know. Last time we won our tickets through wilcoworld.net, not acl.com. We arrived 20 minutes and stood behind one of the camera set-ups.