Thread: NIN Austin City Limits show aired April 5, 2014

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Thankfully, NIN isn't the band it was 20 years ago. An entire set of angsty music and stage trashing from a ~50 year old guy with a wife, kids, and several major awards under his belt would be pretty pathetic.

Just get a fucking time machine and go back to the early 90s.
    So by that theory, metal bands should stop playing aggressive music once they get to the age of 40 because its uncool for dudes in their 40s to show anger onstage?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    So by that theory, metal bands should stop playing aggressive music once they get to the age of 40 because its uncool for dudes in their 40s to show anger onstage?
    He(?) was referring in this instance more to the antics than the music. But even so I would agree that there shouldn't be a problem with an old man like Trent having a tantrum on stage.... if it was who he was. Which it isn't. The problem with your comparison is that NIN is not a metal band. NIN is one person doing what strikes his fancy at the time. The absolute last thing I want to see is Broken part 2 to placate the handful of Internet people who haven't grown up so they don't want anyone else to either.

Is this a midlife crisis thing where you're trying to relive your youth and Trent isn't cooperating?

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post

Is this a midlife crisis thing where you're trying to relive your youth and Trent isn't cooperating?
    Sprinkled with a whole lot of passive aggressive racism and sexism, and you have a very frustrated bro.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    YES. Why does that not make sense to you? YES. THEY SHOULD STOP. There's a reason they get shifted into some weird subculture after a certain age. Is there anyone who acts the same way in their 40s as they did in their 20s and manages to look cool? Forget music, even in life? OF COURSE NOT. Stop. Do something different. Get a fucking grip on reality.

Thank fucking Atheismo that Trent gets that.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    YES. Why does that not make sense to you? YES. THEY SHOULD STOP. There's a reason they get shifted into some weird subculture after a certain age. Is there anyone who acts the same way in their 40s as they did in their 20s and manages to look cool? Forget music, even in life? OF COURSE NOT. Stop. Do something different. Get a fucking grip on reality.

Thank fucking Atheismo that Trent gets that.
    I agree on that, but I don't think it has to do with being or looking "cool." It's about growing up. If you're 45 and you're the same person you were at the age of 20, then there's something wrong there. It's not about the type of music, but about the attitude.

Trent got out of that hole where he was, he's a happy man with a wife and kids, he's not the thin pale young guy full of angst and insecurities who hated the world and all that stuff. I think throughout his career, his music is a pretty accurate representation of where he was in life at the time.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tremolo View Post
    I agree on that, but I don't think it has to do with being or looking "cool." It's about growing up. If you're 45 and you're the same person you were at the age of 20, then there's something wrong there. It's not about the type of music, but about the attitude.
    Agreed, poor choice of words on my part. Just that there's rarely anything as significantly UNcool as those who can't let go of their past.