Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Nine Inch Nails on Jimmy Kimmel 11.07

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    You know Pearl Jam just played Fallon, yes?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    I doubt Metallica, U2, Zeppelin, or Pearl Jam are going to be playing on Jimmy Kimmel.
    Metallica have done Stern. Pearl Jam and U2 have done multiple late night shows. Led Zeppelin haven't been around for decades.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    I'm going to close my eyes, cover my ears and keep saying that nin doesn't have to resort to late night.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This is so awesome ACL and Kimmel they're playing finally after 20+ years Trent decides to go on television

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    If he wanted to play Kimmel because he was a fan etc, then it's cool...problem is, the album is dropping fast and it reeks of Columbia forcing him to do it

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    I doubt Metallica, U2, Zeppelin, or Pearl Jam are going to be playing on Jimmy Kimmel.
    Last year, Springsteen was on Jimmy Fallon performing (and there was Bruce Springsteen week) and Keith Richards was also interviewed by Jimmy Fallon as part of The Rolling Stones/Exile On Main Street week a few years back.
    Last edited by Scarlet Siren; 10-29-2013 at 01:05 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    While I would've preferred Live on Letterman or maybe getting Craig Ferguson to do a "Trent Reznor night" interview/performance, or even a Saturday Night Live appearance, I have no problem with them doing a performance that will air on Jimmy Kimmel.

It could be worse, they could be licensing out the songs to anybody with a check, "Copy of a" to a photocopier company, "Came Back Haunted" to Party City for Halloween, "Find My Way" to Garmin, "Satellite" to either DirecTV or a home surveilance company, "Running" to Nike.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I just can't wrap my head around anyone who sees this as a bad thing. We're getting proshot footage of NIN people.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    i agree that this isn't something that NIN just "earned" or whatever. but, eh, fans are excited about it, hopefully some non-fans will be interested, maybe it's no big deal to trent and the band. i don't think there's much evidence that columbia is forcing them to - not that there would be. it's possible, but maybe columbia just made the suggestion, or maybe jimmy kimmel asked trent directly, who knows.

and if columbia did require NIN to do it, is it really a big deal? NIN are required to do a certain number of concerts, too, due to financial constraints. (as trent said in interview, they have to do a few months of touring to justify developing the production, etc.) there's always the business side of things. most of us probably wouldn't know of NIN if trent wasn't willing to embrace that and (maybe with some failures) have some success in it. compared to most groups, NIN is pretty mainstream (from the business side).

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    and if columbia did require NIN to do it, is it really a big deal? NIN are required to do a certain number of concerts, too, due to financial constraints. (as trent said in interview, they have to do a few months of touring to justify developing the production, etc.) there's always the business side of things. most of us probably wouldn't know of NIN if trent wasn't willing to embrace that and (maybe with some failures) have some success in it. compared to most groups, NIN is pretty mainstream (from the business side).
    I don't believe NIN will make money directly off this concert -- I believe they're each only paid musicians union scale.

And isn't the contract with Columbia more like a licensing agreement than a traditional contract? (HM is Null Corporation under license by Columbia.) I'd think there are very few things Columbia can make him do.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I agree with @jessamineny .
    I'm just pumped to see them on T.V. I hope they play Copy of A/All Time Low. I know they will play CBH. Then maybe an old classic like Terrible Lie/Wish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If getting on late night helps NIN earn a few more fans and sell more tickets then why not. I would like to see them live a few more times before he stops touring again so whatever needs to happen to keep that going im down with.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    What a bunch of hipsters around here. "Late night television is SO mainstream. What is Trent thinking?" I'm sorry. I forgot Nine Inch Nails is an indie club act.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    That show aired at 11am on a Saturday. It was a chart show following a kid's TV show.
    i didna say that was a late night show. okay, a "TV APPEARANCE", then.

but it's actually the 3rd time it's happened, so yeah either way.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I don't think late night TV is a bad thing.

I do think it's a shame NIN didn't do Fallon. Regardless of any actual opinions on Fallon (or Fallon vs. Kimmel), Late Night does get the cooler bands and the cooler performances (especially if The Roots work their way in). Kimmel seems weirdly out of place. Then again, I have no idea what ratings are for either of them, so maybe Kimmel makes way more sense as far as exposure.

Plus, why the hell am I complaining? I might get to go to this, I ought to shut the frak up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was really surprised that this was happening since NIN is better than shitty late night tv shows but who gives a fuck. At least it is a full blown stage and not the corner of the sound stage and so IMO that makes it 100% better.

My thought is this: Is Tension 2013 completely sold out? I was at the Detroit show and it was not... and i don't think the Staples center show is sold out either (i thought they would have sold out almost everywhere.) Given the enormous size of the tour and the costs of 8 piece band and the sheer man power... i wonder if they kind of have to go down the "Late Night" road to raise awareness that they got a great new album/tour. At the same time i kind of think that may pull out some of the big production stuff to get the excitement up?

What do you guys think?

(full disclosure i just scored greenroom passes for this... extremely excited)
    Last edited by clearside; 10-29-2013 at 05:56 PM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    What a bunch of hipsters around here. "Late night television is SO mainstream. What is Trent thinking?" I'm sorry. I forgot Nine Inch Nails is an indie club act.
    It kind of makes me wonder what it would have been like if Trent Reznor visited David Letterman and Howard Stern any year(s) between 1994-2000. We'd probably have lots of those clips being posted around here by now.

And yeah, I don't recall Trent talking about abstaining from such things due to artistic integrity/reasons/purposes/standards. He just wasn't interested in interviews, but did some of them occasionally on MTV. I actually saw a picture of him with Jon Stewart on The Jon Stewart Show, but that was only backstage with Marilyn Manson, and only Marilyn Manson showed up on the actual show.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 10-29-2013 at 06:31 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    I get to see NIN perform. I don't give a flying fuck what it's for! I'm HAPPY!

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    There's a lot of needless bitching going on here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I could actually easily picture the Self Destruct era band on a late night show in the 90s. Weird that it didn't happen.

This is promotion. Its not selling out or resorting to anything. Its an awesome form of promotion. Its not like they're doing the halftime show at a sporting event.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by captainbeyond View Post
    I could actually easily picture the Self Destruct era band on a late night show in the 90s. Weird that it didn't happen.
    I'm pretty surprised it never happened aswell. I can easily imagine them on an early Conan O'Brien, playing March of The Pigs then destroying their instruments, followed by Conan going "Wow, that was something."

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    Poor Letterman.
    HOW ABOUT THEM NINE INCH NAILS???

I swear I still hear him say that. He's been waiting since Woodstock for it to happen. Dave definitely needs a hug...

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I want NIN to do Letterman and Fallon. That's all. Not Jay Leno. He sucks ass.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    God fucking dammit as soon as I don't pay attention to NIN news for a week I miss shit like this. If anyone has an extra tic they aren't using hit me up and I could meet you there. I entered the lottery after it was sold out and only 10 people are selected so its probs not happening.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Now that the pandora's box of playing on television is open, they should definitely do a live-on-letterman concert, something that has a lot more integrity than just playing on the Jimmy Kimmel Bud Light Stage (not complaining, I love that I will see them on TV for the first time in my life)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Great news! I really like this show. But I still hope that TR will be interviewed by Jimmy someday (and maybe Jimmy will do some cool video, which will make fun of TR *). :-)

* - as Kimmel does it in case of almost every guest.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    There's a show here called Later with Jools Holland. It airs at 11pm once or twice a week and is all about performances by "artists" - some obscure, of all genres. I have no idea how NIN have never been on that.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    There's a show here called Later with Jools Holland. It airs at 11pm once or twice a week and is all about performances by "artists" - some obscure, of all genres. I have no idea how NIN have never been on that.
    To add to this, when I checked out Pino Palladino's wiki entry, he used to play for the Jools Holland band

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    If he wanted to play Kimmel because he was a fan etc, then it's cool...problem is, the album is dropping fast and it reeks of Columbia forcing him to do it

If Columbia can force him to go on a late night chat show, I hope they can force him to release that Everything video at some point

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Seeing Jane's Addiction at Kimmel tonight.