Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13
Results 361 to 386 of 386

Thread: Nine Inch Nails on Jimmy Kimmel 11.07

  1. #361
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NJ/NYC/NY
    Posts
    178
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Loved the videos. They did this performance in such a tasteful fashion that I would really hope they continue to go the TV route, don't care if the show isn't great now but I'd love to see NIN on SNL, its an institution and it's a shame they haven't already played it.

  2. #362
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    479
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    Poor TR, his voice just isn't cutting it anymore. I think he would have been better off with the HTDA plan of having a female lead(but maybe calling it NIN if he is so concerned with selling records).

    I really think if he wants to keep doing the lead vocals for NIN he needs to totally change his vocal style (and not just singing lower).

    Anyway, VMOE is a great song, and I think with a better mix it still has potential live. But i agree that it is a weird song to try and pull in new fans. Maybe if they had executed better.
    Me thinks you need to listen to more of the quality live stuff out there or better yet, the last batch of rehearsal tracks... T-Rizzy's voice is on point.

  3. #363
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Canada, West Coast
    Posts
    1,088
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_k_f View Post
    Me thinks you need to listen to more of the quality live stuff out there or better yet, the last batch of rehearsal tracks... T-Rizzy's voice is on point.
    If anything, his voice is as strong as the WT era. On some live YouTube video, Reptile and Burn from what I can see, he can scream again. Not like the 90s but better than what he has sounded like on the last few tours.

  4. #364
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,820
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    The All Time Low one on Jimmy Kimmel's youtube has had 77,000+ views so far in one day - for comparison Arcade Fire only had 40,000 or so but I don't know when they were on. Not too shabby (of course everyone may hate it!)

  5. #365
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Canada, West Coast
    Posts
    1,088
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    The All Time Low one on Jimmy Kimmel's youtube has had 77,000+ views so far in one day - for comparison Arcade Fire only had 40,000 or so but I don't know when they were on. Not too shabby (of course everyone may hate it!)
    Arcade Fire was the day after NIN. Pretty impressive #'s. AF will probably tally more than NIN in the next few days though.

  6. #366
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,940
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    The All Time Low one on Jimmy Kimmel's youtube has had 77,000+ views so far in one day - for comparison Arcade Fire only had 40,000 or so but I don't know when they were on. Not too shabby (of course everyone may hate it!)
    It was their late-night TV debut, which garnered all sorts of press -- and which would help explain all the traffic. Even my mom sent me a FB message about the broadcast ("It only took them 25 years!"). Yes, Mom.

  7. #367
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,820
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    Arcade Fire was the day after NIN. Pretty impressive #'s. AF will probably tally more than NIN in the next few days though.
    ha, that would explain that!

  8. #368
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    325
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    Arcade Fire was the day after NIN. Pretty impressive #'s. AF will probably tally more than NIN in the next few days though.
    NO they weren't. Arcade Fire were on Kimmel a week ago.

  9. #369
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,820
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    It was their late-night TV debut, which garnered all sorts of press -- and which would help explain all the traffic. Even my mom sent me a FB message about the broadcast ("It only took them 25 years!"). Yes, Mom.
    yeah, personally I think they should have started doing late night shows from 2005. I could understand not doing it in the 90s, as it seemed TR was having difficulty coping with all the pressure and I don't think going on Letterman would have helped with that, but there was no reason not to do it as a comeback. And I get really annoyed with people talking of selling out etc, because all the grunge bands from the 90s were going on these shows all the time and noone was slagging them off for it and they were just as bad for going on about 'integrity' the whole time

  10. #370
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Canada, West Coast
    Posts
    1,088
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corona Radiata View Post
    NO they weren't. Arcade Fire were on Kimmel a week ago.
    http://abc.go.com/shows/jimmy-kimmel...te-arcade-fire
    Unless they have been on the show twice recently.

  11. #371
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    LOL "Your voice in echo echo stereo"

  12. #372
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,820
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    http://abc.go.com/shows/jimmy-kimmel...te-arcade-fire
    Unless they have been on the show twice recently.
    This is the one I was referring to, it was added last week from the timing, maybe they were on twice?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5cWbYeBKSY

    I was just making the point that Arcade Fire are a huge thing at the moment yet only 40,000 views, I like Arcade Fire so not trying to diss them!

  13. #373
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,253
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    It was their late-night TV debut, which garnered all sorts of press -- and which would help explain all the traffic. Even my mom sent me a FB message about the broadcast ("It only took them 25 years!"). Yes, Mom.
    I love that we have nice quality live recordings of these songs
    I'm also always happy for any extra press

    but part of me wishes they had stayed off network TV... I'm never gonna find it now, but there was an interview circa-fragile I think where he talked about never being on SNL or whatnot and how Reznor's tried hard to keep the nin-image pure, and while it's a totally impossible ideal when you're trying to get noticed in this crazy world, I sort of liked that.

  14. #374
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Canada, West Coast
    Posts
    1,088
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    This is the one I was referring to, it was added last week from the timing, maybe they were on twice?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5cWbYeBKSY

    I was just making the point that Arcade Fire are a huge thing at the moment yet only 40,000 views, I like Arcade Fire so not trying to diss them!
    Maybe they were haha. I just remember looking at the schedule for Kimmel and wishing I had tv because NIN and Arcade Fire would be on the same week. What did you think of the new AF album?

  15. #375
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    325
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    http://abc.go.com/shows/jimmy-kimmel...te-arcade-fire
    Unless they have been on the show twice recently.
    Either way, the videos you're talking about are a week and a half old (and have less views).

    I think the reason All Time Low has so many is because it's the first result when you search "nine inch nails" on Youtube.

  16. #376
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,820
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    ^^^not heard the whole thing yet, watched the Reflektor single / video and enjoyed it

  17. #377
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,820
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    I love that we have nice quality live recordings of these songs
    I'm also always happy for any extra press

    but part of me wishes they had stayed off network TV... I'm never gonna find it now, but there was an interview circa-fragile I think where he talked about never being on SNL or whatnot and how Reznor's tried hard to keep the nin-image pure, and while it's a totally impossible ideal when you're trying to get noticed in this crazy world, I sort of liked that.
    I think it's MUCH more difficult to get noticed now though because there's just so much noise and so much music

  18. #378
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,253
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I think it's MUCH more difficult to get noticed now though because there's just so much noise and so much music
    you're totally right. and NIN isn't at their peak anymore (and frankly, even bands AT their peak have a hard time staying noticed). I understand the practicalities, just feeling nostalgic!
    and besides, I'm loving these performances (especially VMOE). So all's good!

  19. #379
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    837
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    but part of me wishes they had stayed off network TV... I'm never gonna find it now, but there was an interview circa-fragile I think where he talked about never being on SNL or whatnot and how Reznor's tried hard to keep the nin-image pure, and while it's a totally impossible ideal when you're trying to get noticed in this crazy world, I sort of liked that.
    i don't think it's even about the need to do TV to get noticed. the idea of keeping the experience pure just doesn't make any sense anymore. the access to computers and the internet mean that people can interface with the media in multiple ways. (and although that has been true for some since the 90s, it's the norm now.)

  20. #380
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,253
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    i don't think it's even about the need to do TV to get noticed. the idea of keeping the experience pure just doesn't make any sense anymore. the access to computers and the internet mean that people can interface with the media in multiple ways. (and although that has been true for some since the 90s, it's the norm now.)
    fair point

    but then you look at a guy like Burial, and that experience feels pretty pure to me. and... that guy probably still works at 711. So, yeah.

  21. #381
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    837
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    fair point

    but then you look at a guy like Burial, and that experience feels pretty pure to me. and... that guy probably still works at 711. So, yeah.
    i was thinking of making that point, too. (although i never heard of Burial. (although i will now check it out.)) could work for some. but no way it'd work for NIN. if nothing else, trent lost the option with his oversharing twitter/nin.com era. but, really, there are people that seriously check out new music by just searching for stuff to play on youtube. like, not music videos, just for music to listen to. (that's why lyrics videos have become so popular now.)
    Last edited by m15a; 11-09-2013 at 03:07 PM.

  22. #382
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,253
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    i was thinking of making that point, too. (although i never heard of Burial. (although i will now check it out.)) could work for some. but no way it'd work for NIN. if nothing else, trent lost the option with his oversharing twitter/nin.com era*. but, really, there are people that seriously check out new music by just searching for stuff to play on youtube. like, not music videos, just for music to listen to. (that's why lyrics videos have become so popular now.)
    Burial – Kindred
    enjoy -- that EP is one of my favorite things from the last few years

    and yeah, everything you said is totally right, and I'm just being nostalgic for when the media corporations controlled our lives as opposed to the tech corporations! ignore me and back on topic now

  23. #383
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Wrong end of the phone
    Posts
    1,095
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jesus View Post
    LOL "Your voice in echo echo stereo"
    I'm curious if he did that for the ACL taping.

  24. #384
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    I'm curious if he did that for the ACL taping.
    Nope, he didn't hold back for the ACL taping. You might here a drop in his audio when it finally airs.

  25. #385
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Cambridge, MA
    Posts
    388
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    If anything, his voice is as strong as the WT era. On some live YouTube video, Reptile and Burn from what I can see, he can scream again. Not like the 90s but better than what he has sounded like on the last few tours.
    Um. Last time i heard him live in 2008, his voice was raspy, but he could at least stay on key.

    It's probably because he's trying to hold back a little bit, but when he is not screaming, his voice is all over the place.

    Love the song. Didn't like the live version at all.
    Last edited by HurtinMinorKey; 11-15-2013 at 07:04 PM.

  26. #386
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Canada, West Coast
    Posts
    1,088
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    Um. Last time i heard him live in 2008, his voice was raspy, but he could at least stay on key.

    It's probably because he's trying to hold back a little bit, but when he is not screaming, his voice is all over the place.

    Love the song. Didn't like the live version at all.
    Last time I saw them was in '08 too. I'm seeing them this Thursday so I can report back to whether or not his voice is better. I remember it being raspy too, but on the JK show and other YouTube clips it sounds much better than I remember.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions