Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Nine Inch Nails on Jimmy Kimmel 11.07

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Love or hate Jimmy K, but he was pretty damn excited to have NIN on his show. You could tell he just wanted to get to the performance.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash512 View Post
    sweet jesus that was great
    I actually liked the edited arrangement quite a bit -- normally that drives me bonkers but it made the song feel a bit more urgent

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Trent wearing Justin Beiber pants huh.... I'm starting to feel old as shit.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hollowsminion View Post
    Love or hate Jimmy K, but he was pretty damn excited to have NIN on his show. You could tell he just wanted to get to the performance.
    Kimmel is always excited about the musical guest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotinCnStopMeNow View Post
    Ya Trent has been doing that all the time from what I've heard. They haven't been playing closer during the shows on this leg of the tour, so that's all you get of it when they play All Time Low.
    For more on one person's take regarding TR's inclusion of "Closer" lyrics, see this blog post: http://welldocumentedlife.blogspot.c...ood-karma.html

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Thank you. That was excellent. I like it more than ATL. *shrugs*

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Man, ATL sounds so much better than VMoE did for this performance. Ugh.

Does Kimmel usually upload the song that's played on-air to that YouTube channel? I see two songs for most of the other artists.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    Man, ATL sounds so much better than VMoE did for this performance.
    Yeah, I liked that a lot! Pino is great!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    It was great to see NIN on Kimmel. I was excited for the world to get to experience the thing I love so much. But I don't think the performance is going to sell any tickets or albums. VMoE is a great song with a great build, but it takes a while to get going. I kept imagining sleepy people in bed with their remotes in hand, curious about NIN, but not grabbed by the first 30 seconds of the song. Click...goodbye. Especially with the poor mix and shitty tv speakers. You could probably make a case for or against every song on HM, and I'm sure the decision to do VMoE wasn't entered into without a great deal of thought, but I think it was a missed opportunity. I doubt it made a strong first impression on the uninitiated.

Aside from the song itself, I think Trent's two-fisted grip on the mic blocked the view of his face so much, it made him feel less accessible, again leading to click...goodbye. But I do love those drop crotch pants.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LOVEANDZOMBIES View Post
    Thanks for uploading these. Any chance you shot VMOE or ATL? I'm interested to hear what they actually sounded like since word is the studio mix wasn't perfect.
    Nope, because the first 2 were being broadcast/ streamed, so in my opinion it wasnt needed. It sounded perfectly fine, dont worry about such things.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRH129 View Post
    For more on one person's take regarding TR's inclusion of "Closer" lyrics, see this blog post: http://welldocumentedlife.blogspot.c...ood-karma.html
    You mean your take?

Actually, I think it's because a bunch of people on the board were calling ATL "the new Closer" when the album came out. Since he's not playing it live, he decided to kinda sorta actually make it the new Closer -- at least, as much as we're gonna get. Putting that dry sense of humor right to work.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Well I for one thought this performance was pretty great, of course this is also one of my most favorite tracks off Hesitation Marks. Band looked good, sounded good....all good over here foe me I suppose. For some reason I forgot to Tivo this so thanks Ash for uploading this so I can check it out at work.

This performance kind of reminded me a lot of the Fragile performance at the VMA's in 1999, it could just be because it's a TV taping and there's more than just five people on stage. VMOE kind of has little bit of a similar song structure too.

Either way, very cool and glad to see Trent still finds new ways for Nine Inch Nails to partake in new ventures to get music out to the masses.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by k258 View Post
    I kept imagining sleepy people in bed with their remotes in hand
    That was me! I was in bed with remote in hand, it was 11:30 PM in Chicago (12:30 AM on the East coast), some of us have to get up early ... I think ATL on the broadcast would've been more lively at 11:30 PM.

The whole vibe was very different, much more Steely Dan than classic NIN -- and that's okay by me.

edit: I kept thinking he had a shirt hanging down in the back until I saw what people were talking about ... droopy diaper pants.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-08-2013 at 12:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    You mean your take?

Actually, I think it's because a bunch of people on the board were calling ATL "the new Closer" when the album came out. Since he's not playing it live, he decided to kinda sorta actually make it the new Closer -- at least, as much as we're gonna get. Putting that dry sense of humor right to work.
    Last I checked, I am one person (even when I refer to myself in ambiguous ungendered third person). Why make a new song "the new Closer"? That dry sense of humor you mentioned...was kinda sorta actually what I was getting at. If you could have been in my shoes during the ACL taping, standing next to people who actually believed he was going to segue into "Closer," you would have seen how funny it was. It was like he knew it would drive up anticipation for fans who had no idea where he's taken his music since 1999. I looked to Robin, and his reaction (a smirk and shaking of his head) allowed me to remain steadfast in my perception. Although...Robin smirks and shakes his head often...

In many ways, it feels like TR is saying, "Hey, look! There's a spot in your shirt. *flicks the nose of person who looks down* Fooled you!" That always gets me! (To see it, not to experience it)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Yeah, I liked that a lot! Pino is great!

Thank god for that video. Not only was it a good representation of the song, but I finally have a guide bass line to play along to, cos the one on HM is so processed it's difficult to tell what I should be playing! Mindfuckery of the highest order, in a good way.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    ATL sounded great! the synths were low but, with the good quality of the recording, still audible. there have been some really good (audio) bootlegs of the tour but this is still a definite positive addition to the recordings we have. and the visuals obviously a good addition to what we have so far. (for VMoE, i haven't seen an HD version yet so i'm not going to judge the recording quality.) EDIT: the mixing issues are a worse on VMoE, but still it's a nice addition to any NIN fan's video collection.

for those saying this performance won't sell albums, you never know. also, selling albums isn't all that music is about. it's not even all that the music industry is about. i bet plenty of people enjoyed the performance.

EDIT: from the perspective of us fans, that's two HM songs that weren't in the festival. i like all the HM songs on the festival, but it's an added bonus to have pro HD videos of two more songs.
    Last edited by m15a; 11-08-2013 at 03:17 PM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Before I knew that Rob Lowe and Columbus Short were going to be interviewed, I thought the entire episode of Jimmy Kimmel Live! was going to be entirely about Trent Reznor and Nine Inch Nails. I thought Jimmy Kimmel was going to interview Trent Reznor for about 20 to 30 minutes, and then have Nine Inch Nails perform for about 15 to 20 minutes on the air afterwards.

I'm also guessing it would've been around at least 20 to 30 minutes for the interview and 15 to 20 minutes for the performance due to commercial breaks as well if it actually happened, despite the show being 1 hour long. I'm also not so familiar with how late night show formats are with gigs, so I'll understand if that would've been impossible from the start even if Trent was the only guest. (I don't think I've seen performances of an actual set-list on the air at a late night talk show even if it was a small one anyway.)

With that said, I'm still thankful and happy that it happened anyway, and wish the best of luck for Nine Inch Nails as always.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 11-08-2013 at 01:54 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Yeah these shows never interview the bands. They're the entertainment usually there for the end only.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Kimmel's live music channel has uploaded the HD version of VMoE:

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I watched the performance this morning. I thought it was really good. Especially seeing NIN in a big, HD TV.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    Well I for one thought this performance was pretty great, of course this is also one of my most favorite tracks off Hesitation Marks. Band looked good, sounded good....all good over here foe me I suppose. For some reason I forgot to Tivo this so thanks Ash for uploading this so I can check it out at work.

This performance kind of reminded me a lot of the Fragile performance at the VMA's in 1999, it could just be because it's a TV taping and there's more than just five people on stage. VMOE kind of has little bit of a similar song structure too.

Either way, very cool and glad to see Trent still finds new ways for Nine Inch Nails to partake in new ventures to get music out to the masses.
    I was thinking the exact same thing. That quiet part and then the big end chorus was just like watching the Fragile on the VMAs. Although nothing can really replace that performance, since it was the first time we'd ever even heard it; plus the song and the performance was so rich and complex. VMOE is totally the Fragile of HM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I thought it was great. Suprising song choice....def reminded me of watching the fragile on the mtv awards. The song is kinda similar too with the breakdown and final chorus, as was said above ^^. Only critisism....TR,....stop wearing those pants. So weird looking. Looks like he is busting a sag or something. Fuck .

edit- wierd hearing the song edited but im cool with that. I understand. But wasnt expecting 2nd verse to be so short. Overall very cool. Except those pants. Sorry, apologies fans of those weird ass fucking pants.
    Last edited by EndlessLoveless; 11-08-2013 at 03:26 PM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I thought VMOE was great. Were the other songs not recorded by JK's crew? And I agree about those pants. Shouldn't someone in his life tell him they look like he is wearing a saggy diaper? His wife? Rob? Somebody?
    Last edited by icecream; 11-08-2013 at 03:28 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    If you all keep criticizing his pants, you know he'll just stubbornly keep wearing them, right?

:P

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    I thought VMOE was great. Were the other songs not recorded by JK's crew? And I agree about those pants. Shouldn't someone in his life tell him they look like he is wearing a saggy diaper? His wife? Rob? Somebody?
    Only VMoE and ATL were recorded by Kimmel's team, yeah. Someone recorded the other songs, though, earlier in the thread.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    If you all keep criticizing his pants, you know he'll just stubbornly keep wearing them, right?

I know I shouldn't give one fuck about them, but they just weird me out. Probably because I have never seen a pair in real life. I didn't even know they existed until the video from Tension showed up. It's like they want to be pajama pants and normal pants at the same time.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

TR, i LOVE your pants. Dont ever stop wearing them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    edit- deleted stupid comment after thinking about it, sorry for whoever saw.....was just looking for an excuse to use "flip flop flip flop flip" in a sentance.
    Last edited by EndlessLoveless; 11-08-2013 at 03:47 PM. Reason: stupid comment

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I wish people would stop bashing the pants - I think they are serving a very practical purpose but can't really say what for fear of being accused of weirdness!