Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    We saw an advert for a recent Dr Who and my husband just said 'that's Hellraiser'. they do have this habit of borrowing from other sci-fi / horror themes, like Planet of the Dead was the Langoliers but with a less interesting explanation. The weeping Angels are definitely the most interesting concept in years in my opinion

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    I liked the episode up until the very last scene. The afterword scene was a safe ending after putting everyone through the ringer, emotionally.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Trying not to read this thread right now but had to pop in to say HOLY GOD DAMN. I never really payed any attention to this show and kind of wrote it off as weird nerdy sci-fi stuff until about a week ago. Since then I've managed to get through 4 and a half of the new seasons and I'm kind of pissed at myself because A) I put off watching it for so damn long and B) I've seen enough references to it all over the internet that I've spoiled pretty much everything that's happened so far, which wasn't so bad in the first few seasons but the whole mystery behind River Song is totally ruined

Question though, does the 11th Doctor ever get really likeable? I thought David Tennant was extraordinary as the 10th Doctor, and so far Matt Smith is good but he just doesn't feel right.

Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    The weeping Angels are definitely the most interesting concept in years in my opinion
    "Blink" was one of the most interesting and entertaining TV shows I've seen in a while, it could've easily been fleshed out and made into its own movie.

*EDIT* I'm halfway through the Van Gogh episode, starting to really like Matt Smith now
    Last edited by ibanez33; 10-11-2012 at 02:36 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^^^I'm in the same boat. I just started watching Doctor Who over the summer after a friend of mine convinced me. I just finished The End of Time Part 2 and watched the 10th Doctor regenerate. I really don't want to watch Matt Smith as the Doctor, but I'm sure he'll be fine. It's just that I loved David Tennant as the Doctor so much (as I'm sure the majority of fans do.)

The 10th Doctor's last words before regenerating were "I don't want to go." The feels...

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeeOhDeeWhy View Post
    The 10th Doctor's last words before regenerating were "I don't want to go." The feels...
    I know, man. That was rough.

I'm on board with Smith now, but he definitely took some getting used to. I'm not really a fan of his childishness but after reading through this theory on regenerations it kind of makes sense, so I'm OK with it.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I got really tired of the 10th doctor. He started off great but it all felt too comfortable and samey after a while. His departure really summed that up. Tennant is a great actor and had some excellent moments but Smith was a much needed breath of fresh air IMO.

Edit: re Originality. Who really borrows/steals, as many other great shows have (x files series one?) - what I like about that is it makes some great scifi accessible to people who would otherwise not see it. Example, the impossible planet/Satan pit was a blatant doom and event horizon homage, that my partner, parents, niece etc could enjoy but id never get them to appreciate doom
    Last edited by jmtd; 10-15-2012 at 08:14 AM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Trailer for the new Christmas special, "Snowmen":

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Not long until the second half of series 7 now. The new trailer looks pretty good!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Loved that trailer. Discovering details about the new lady friend of the Doctors should be interesting and the new series looks like a ton of fun!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well, the first episode of the new series was pretty good. I really like Clara, I already think she's a much stronger companion than the Ponds ever were. And I have absolutely no idea how the 'mystery' surrounding her deaths is going to be resolved. Fingers crossed for a great series, next week's episode looks interesting.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Clara's mystery will be answered in the season finale, according to Jenna-Louise Coleman.

Also, it was announced yesterday that David Tennant and Billie Piper are returning for the 50th Anniversary special.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Can't we just have one companion who isn't the key to saving the universe or whatever. Just someone normal.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Doctor Who

What, like Jo?

(Secretly I wish to myself that Clara is Romana.)

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Can't we just have one companion who isn't the key to saving the universe or whatever. Just someone normal.
    Martha was normal. Yes, she was "the key to saving the universe" but only because she had been around with the Doctor, that could have happened to anybody else.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Martha wasn't human enough, she was TOO good at not dying (come on, surviving on Earth for a year when the Master wants you dead? Most companions can't leave the TARDIS without dying at least twice). Martha was the closest we got but still, Mickey was the only companion (and I use that loosely who wasn't the messiah.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    A bit of a niche episode, what with the Doctor introducing Clara to the wonders of the universe, but boy, did I get a bit teary when he fed all his memories to the parasite.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    He mentioned Susan, it could've been the worst episode ever but mentioning her makes it 100% fine with me

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Oof. I thought Rings was shit. Up there with "Star Whale" in terms of just "...*sigh*...really?" kind of sentiments

I like Clara. A lot. Much, much more than Amy and Rory. Much better than Martha. Much better than Donna. And I'm eager to see where they're going with her. But the episode last night was rough.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    ^ Agreed on every point, really liking Clara but didn't dig the episode at all. In its defense though, it did look pretty spectacular at times; the rings, the pyramid, all the new alien costumes, the parasite-god-world-thing at the end. It's just the writing which lets this show down sometimes, there was so much set-up and character moments that there just wasn't room for anything to really happen. They should bring back two parter episodes.

Oh, and it was cool that the time war got a shout out. Been a while.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trains View Post
    They should bring back two parter episodes.
    Hell no, bring part 6 parters

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Sutekh has received a momentous bounty

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Hell no, bring part 6 parters
    Having sat through all six episodes The Invasion of Time in one sitting, I'm quite happy for them to relegate the six-parter format to the annals of history. I will never, ever get those hours back...

This week's was far, far better than the Rings episode.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Okay then- That’s what I’ll do. I’ll tell you a story.

Can you hear them? All these people who lived in terror of you and your judgement. All these people whose ancestors devoted themselves, sacrificed themselves, to you. Can you hear them singing?

Oh you like to think that you’re a god. You’re not a god. You’re just a parasite, eaten out with jealousy and envy and longing for the lives of others. You feed on them. On the memory of love and loss and birth and death and joy and sorrow. So…

So… come on then. Take mine. Take my memories. But, I hope you’ve got a big appetite. Because I have lived a long life, and I have seen a few things.

I walked away from the last great Time War. I marked the passing of the Time Lords. I saw the birth of the universe, and I watched as time ran out, moment by moment, until nothing remained, no time, no space… just me!

I walked in universes where the laws of physics were devised by the mind of a madman. And I watched universes freeze and creations burn. I have seen things you wouldn’t believe. I have lost things you will never understand. And I know things. Secrets that must never be told. Knowledge that must never be spoken. Knowledge that will make parasite gods blaze.

So come on then. Take it! Take it all, baby! Have it! You have it all!

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Name of the series finale revealed.

Okay, I'm a bit confused. Is this the last episode of series seven or forever?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think it's just the finale to the current series. There's still the 50th anniversary special to come in November, and I'm pretty sure Steven Moffat's confirmed there'll be a Christmas episode this year. Beyond that, who knows? There's been a couple of rumors about series 8, though I'm guessing we'll have to wait at least another year after the 50th for it to come around. They've still got a lot of unanswered questions to address: the 'first question', the fields of Trenlore (or whatever it was called) and the whole Silence will fall arc. Whenever Matt Smith gets asked how long he intends to stay with the show he gives vague, non-committal answers, so who knows how much longer it will be until they recast for the twelfth Doctor.

As for the Spoiler: Doctor's name being revealed in the finale...well, I'm not too fussed. It isn't something I urgently need to know, but I am pretty curious to see whether they'll pull it off.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by playwithfire View Post
    Okay then- That’s what I’ll do. I’ll tell you a story.

Can you hear them? All these people who lived in terror of you and your judgement. All these people whose ancestors devoted themselves, sacrificed themselves, to you. Can you hear them singing?

Oh you like to think that you’re a god. You’re not a god. You’re just a parasite, eaten out with jealousy and envy and longing for the lives of others. You feed on them. On the memory of love and loss and birth and death and joy and sorrow. So…

So… come on then. Take mine. Take my memories. But, I hope you’ve got a big appetite. Because I have lived a long life, and I have seen a few things.

I walked away from the last great Time War. I marked the passing of the Time Lords. I saw the birth of the universe, and I watched as time ran out, moment by moment, until nothing remained, no time, no space… just me!

I walked in universes where the laws of physics were devised by the mind of a madman. And I watched universes freeze and creations burn. I have seen things you wouldn’t believe. I have lost things you will never understand. And I know things. Secrets that must never be told. Knowledge that must never be spoken. Knowledge that will make parasite gods blaze.

So come on then. Take it! Take it all, baby! Have it! You have it all!

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I really, really, really, really hope that the Doctor's name isn't revealed. Ever.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ibanez33 View Post
    You just couldn't leaf it alone, could yew.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Liked the last episode.

Did not like the reference to things sounding like the devil knocking, then going to bed in an empty house and waking up to knocking sounds I'd never heard before.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Name of the series finale revealed.

Okay, I'm a bit confused. Is this the last episode of series seven or forever?
    Big rule of Doctor Who - if the episode title is slightly too dramatic, that means it probably doesn't accurately reflect the plot or outcome of the story, ie resurrection of the daleks (the daleks are not dead and are never resurrected in any way), day of the daleks (they lose), city of death (some of it is set in a city I guess, but not that many people die), the death of doctor who (he doesn't die), or remembrance of the daleks (???), and so on

I honestly have a life