Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    By the way, for anyone who hasn't seen the classic series and has 200gb of hard drive space, you may want to drop me a PM.

On topic, I wonder if they'll ever bring back Paul McGann and Christopher Eccleston for a one-off episode/TV film/Film/Radio Play of their regeneration? It's the only one we don't know the details of after all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DF118 View Post
    Should've kept Rory =(

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    They should make it so that Rory is unveiled to be THE VALEYARD ALL ALONG!

I bet somewhere there's some really bad fan fiction in which that happens.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DF118 View Post
    Good. Two seasons of Amy was 1.5 seasons too many, and while I liked Rory, he had this extremely annoying habit of "dying" - but just kidding! - very frequently. Time to move on, Doctor.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    So...Christmas episode.

Kinda sucked. A lot. And I've never said that about a Who episode before.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    It's New Year's Eve and I'm home. as always (never have been the one to go out to party on NYE). What's a girl to watch on this special night?

Why, the Doctor Who movie, of course!

I've been watching it on NYE (or on NYD) almost every year since it first aired in 1996 (I recorded it at the time; still have the tape). The script is godawful but Paul McGann was a splendid Doctor. It makes you wonder what he could have done with the role had this be made into a TV series as it was supposed to be.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I'd kill for a special TV film of the Time War, McGann doing it all then becoming Eccleston

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I'd kill for a special TV film of the Time War, McGann doing it all then becoming Eccleston
    I can't tell you how many hours I've lost imagining that sort of thing! Someone told me the other other day that McGann is considered the longest running Doctor because of the 70+ novels about the 8th Doctor. Pretty crazy, I'd love to read some of those.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    So we may be months away from new episodes, but Season 6 has finally been added to Netflix streaming.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    After seeing a couple random episodes at a friend's back home, and then a good friend online convincing me, I am starting this. I was informed that starting at 2005 is a good idea. I may go back and watch earlier stuff eventually, but at least this way I can discuss it with friends. Starting Rose now.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    First doctor for me was McCoy, but I was a young-ling and can only vaguely remember. I watched Eccleston's series, and probably all of the following Tenant, then dropped out mostly until Smith, who I think is the best nuWho. I did watch the weeping angels tenant episode but the library is still queued.

I think Amy/Rory are the best companions ever, personally, and the last christmas episodes have been the best of the nuWho xmas ones, simply because the others have just been effects vehicles. Donna was the only redeeming feature of the one she was in.

Massively impressed with Moffat.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trains View Post
    I can't tell you how many hours I've lost imagining that sort of thing! Someone told me the other other day that McGann is considered the longest running Doctor because of the 70+ novels about the 8th Doctor. Pretty crazy, I'd love to read some of those.
    Some of them are good, some not so. The New Adventures (7th doctor) & Eighth Doctor Adventures are surprisingly adult, very dark. The Human Nature 2-parter is adapted from one of them

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trains View Post
    Was that Anthony Head at the beginning?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Some of them are good, some not so. The New Adventures (7th doctor) & Eighth Doctor Adventures are surprisingly adult, very dark. The Human Nature 2-parter is adapted from one of them
    Picked up a few of the Eighth Doctor Adventures cheap (The Eight Doctors, Alien Bodies and The Gallifrey Chronicles); like you say, far more adult-natured and mature. I rather enjoyed that to be honest, a complete move away from the accessibility of the TV show. It's a shame that they're out of print now and mostly forgotten about.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I love Rose so much it hurts sometimes.

Edit: So, I'm really liking this show, and I'm flying right through it. Anyway, there's an episode where they encounter a lone Dalek and Rose ends up taking its side, claiming that it's changing. Now I'm onto an episode where this alien child thing is trapping people inside drawings because it's been alone, drifting through space. The Doctor is sympathizing with the alien, but Rose is against what the child is doing. The Dalek fucking killed people, whereas this alien child spore thing doesn't seem to have killed anyone. How is that okay, Rose? And then when everyone is returned from being trapped in the drawings, everyone goes back to where they disappeared from, yet Rose doesn't go to to where the Doctor disappeared and is convinced that somehow he didn't come back. What a stupid episode. It was the first one written by Matthew Graham. Hopefully that is an indication on why it was so shitty, and if that's the case, I hope he hasn't written any more.

Edit2: I just finished Blink and it may be my favorite episode yet. I love Carey Mulligan, and I was delighted to finally see her with long hair. Plus, the episode was exactly my kind of creepy. Love this show.
    Last edited by Goldfoot; 06-10-2012 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Fuck double posts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I really try to avoid posting twice in a row, but I want to bump this. That said:

I just finished season 6 and I have some serious issues with what went down. My whole post is SPOILERS, but I'm not going to bother tagging it, so if you haven't caught up, stop reading.

In Closing Time, the Doctor stops by to see Craig as he's on "a bit of a farewell tour." This is because he knows, from the episode with The Flesh, that he is going to die on April 22, 2011. In talking to my friend, he explained that apparently after the Doctor parted ways with Amy and Rory (when he gave them the car), he went off and did his own thing for ~200 years. If this is the case, then that alleviates one issue I have, even though they didn't explain this in the show. If this is not the case, and he's only been on his own for a little while, then there's ~200 years missing from his timeline. In conversations with River Song in The Impossible Astronaut, it's established that the Doctor who dies is 1102 years old, while the one they meet after this is 909. I realize the season starts with the Doctor going throughout history and Amy notices a bunch of his exploits, but I wouldn't say this was about ~200 years.

I'm willing to concede that ~200 years happened and they just didn't mention it explicitly, but the way they ended the season is a total cop-out. When River Song manages to not kill him, it completely fucks time, with the only way to reconcile it being physical contact between her and the Doctor. So he manages to trick time by being inside of the Tesselecta? That doesn't make sense because time isn't a sentient being that can be tricked. It also doesn't explain the energy coming out of him. Unless the energy release was only the first time we saw it, but it really seems like they are showing events happen the same as they did in The Impossible Astronaut. Still, the idea of him tricking time or the universe or existence or whathaveyou doesn't sit with me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Riddle me this: If the Silence needed a Time Lord to kill the Doctor, that's all well and good. But if the Doctor dies by being shot, then why couldn't any old enemy do it? Why did they have to go through all the hassle of kidnapping River Song, training her to be a killer and then setting her upon the Doctor, when actually she doesn't even kill him of her own accord? As she points out in the finale, the spacesuit's mechanisms are locked so that she can't prevent the gun from firing. So if that's the case, then why does she even need to be there?
    Last edited by Trains; 06-26-2013 at 12:39 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    He has 12 regenerations so there will probably be two more, unless he gets fired into the sun or something

Ive been a fan since the 7th doctor and while the last 5 or 6 series have had their moments, i dont really like the approach davies and moffatt take, i prefer the spooky 60s and 70s ones & if i was el presidente it would be time for a reboot. I hate the soapiness, light heartedness etc bah humbug. I think its been patchy since the late 70s

Also the incidental music on new who is awful, old who had some pioneering electronic music that was really unsettling (delia derbyshires inferno score, sea devils score spring to mind), now we have this really intrusive, OTT melodramatic john williams crap

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The new series starts in the UK this evening. Apparently there's going to be lots of Daleks in this one. I really hope this will be good, I'm optimistic for a strong run of episodes.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    That single episode was better than any of the previous season. The spoiler twist at the end was kind of obvious solely because he mentioned milk one too many times - if the Doctor HADN'T noticed that, it would've been nice for the audience to have the chance of figuring that out themselves. Very happy that Rory got a major role in this episode too, because Amy sucks.
    Overall, I think the whole Dalekboner thing worked solely BECAUSE the Daleks weren't the plot point - they were a Macguffin, something that could've been any other enemy and it would've worked exactly as well. But I'm worried what wiping the Daleks' knowledge of the Doctor will do, hopefully that won't cause any stupid timey wimey bullshit later on.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    My name is Oswin Oswald. I fought the Daleks. I am human. Remember me.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Load of crap, they hyped it as the return of the classic daleka, and they barely featured at all.

Old school for life

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    So...what's so great about this long running TV series?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Oswin- Daleks subtract love, add anger. Doesn't she seem a bit too angry to you?

Amy- Well somebody's never been to Scotland!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    So...what's so great about this long running TV series?
    It has a very flexible format and a relaxed attitude towards scientific plausability, the tardis (their ship) can travel anywhere in space or time, so one week it can be the fall of rome, next week they're fighting werewolves alongside queen victoria.

It has a very british feel (quirky characters, odd humour, references to uk culture), lots of dark humour and allegories for social/political issues (usually with a centre left sort of bias, although the writers in the 70s were pretty radical)

The original run (63-89) is in some ways pretty creaky compared to the new ones, but I prefer it.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    The show also follows a chain of characters throughout complex stories, the fact that no character is fixed into the series means people can leave when they've had their time, go off and get married and so forth. There's no rigidity as there is with, say, a sitcom where nothing can be changed without focus groups and opinion panels.

Also,