Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    I thought Twitch was just for game streaming and stuff like that! It does seem like an odd place to find The Doctor. It looks like Twitch is included with Amazon Prime, so I will try to catch a few episodes. I have not seen any of the classic Who, but I have watched all of the modern episodes several times.
    It has something to do with gaming? The only thing I've ever used the site for was just this - another show I like (which ended in the early '00s) being lived streamed a few episodes at a time, usually hosted by one of the writers / son of the show's star/creator. I literally don't know anything about the site beyond just the page I've watched that on, so to me, the Classic Who news seems pretty appropriate.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by playwithfire View Post
    There's a bunch on Amazon Prime! I started with the third doctor, which went well.
    I can't seem to find any of the classic Dr Who (1963 - 1989) on Amazon Prime, so perhaps I am not searching correctly? They have Series 1 through 10 (2005 - 2017) listed but I have seen all of those a few times, including the Christmas specials, and also all of the spin-off Torchwood episodes. Some more Who to watch would be nifty.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    It has something to do with gaming?
    Yes, according to our household gaming expert, you can watch gamers streaming what the are playing live on Twitch, and apparently this is something which is popular. Go figure.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    I can't seem to find any of the classic Dr Who (1963 - 1989) on Amazon Prime, so perhaps I am not searching correctly? They have Series 1 through 10 (2005 - 2017) listed but I have seen all of those a few times, including the Christmas specials, and also all of the spin-off Torchwood episodes. Some more Who to watch would be nifty.
    Oi, you're right. I didn't think I'd purchased it, huh. Though there is some sort of $7 add-on for a bunch of british tv

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Yes, according to our household gaming expert, you can watch gamers streaming what the are playing live on Twitch, and apparently this is something which is popular. Go figure.
    Wow. That's just......wow.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Wow. That's just......wow.
    yeah, twitch is primarily a platform for streaming playthroughs of games. people on there have thousands of followers who just...watch them play games and chat with them while they're doing so. it's kinda weird.

but they did an mst3k marathon a while back which was fun.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Official trailer for the Jodie Whittaker era is here. In the Twitter post near the bottom of the article.
    https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2...ker-in-action/

I've pretty much accepted that The Doctor is now a woman, but want Chibnall and co. to treat it as no big deal instead of having every other line of dialogue stick it in your face as if all the viewers are blind. It annoyed me enough that some Moffat-era episodes simply could not have characters go for more than three sentences without talking about The Doctor.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yay! Season 11 now has a start date! More than a year after the new Doctor was announced! October 7. Though why do they have to move the show from Saturdays to Sundays?

https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/05/docto...ndays-7916459/

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    I need her to be REALLY GAY but other than that yeah, same, re: woman

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_Nicholas View Post
    Though why do they have to move the show from Saturdays to Sundays?
    So I have a reason to live on Monday mornings?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    BBC America is doing a thirteen day marathon of Doctor Who leading up to the premier of the 13'th Doctor on October 7th. Why do I never get tired of watching these shows even though I have seen them all? Perhaps because I have not yet entirely figured everything out. Bad Wolf?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Welp, the simulcast airs in 10 minutes. Hope it's good.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Episode was meh. It wasn't bad but it didn't hook or engage me.

Was a typical "First Episode of a New Doctor" showing but her portrayal was fine. I'll keep it up.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 10-07-2018 at 02:17 PM.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    I'm 3000% sold on Chibnall. I was really worried he was going to take the series in a lighter direction and THAT IS VERY NOT THE CASE.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    we were watching the later livestream so we could see the extended stuff. we paused it so sarah could make herself dinner real quick, and when we hit play, it didn't resume, but jumped ahead to the current live time. so now we have to wait until it's available streaming to finish the episode. but i really liked what i saw so far. i love the new doctor so much.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    old school curmudgeon here... ok

I think it looks and sounds fantastic - Murray Gold was awful and won't be missed by me. Supporting cast were good but the northern accents were sometimes dodgy.

I've been really pissed off by reactionary haters saying the female doctor is PC gone mad and could never work etc. Total bollocks... I own every single classic episode, there was never a time where the doctor couldn't have been switched for a female actor.

However - Jodie reminds me of bubble from ab fab and it's the same hyper caffeinated wacky david tennant shit, which I find grating.

Anyway I'm going back to the cellar with my patrick troughton dvds now

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    If I had to sum up the episode in one word:

Natural.

And I loved it for that. I only noticed two references to the fact that the Doctor is now in a woman's body (the "Why are you calling me 'Maddam'?" line and the "I haven't bought women's clothes in a long time" line). Otherwise, it felt like watching any new episode of Doctor Who. The Doctor is still brilliant, still good with tools, still a take-charge kind of person (er, Time Lord). Whittaker's casting felt groundbreaking at the announcement, but I feel like perhaps it's even higher praise to say that it hardly felt too different from any other episode. To me, she didn't stand out because she's the first female Doctor. She stood out because she's The Doctor. A damn good one, at that.

I'm looking forward to seeing where this season goes.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I watched it again today, and I think I can actually see her portraying the echoes (as she mentions when she's telling everyone about regeneration) of past Doctors before she settles in on herself. Some of it was in the script, and some of it was Jodie's acting. It was subtle enough that I only had a feeling about it the first time, but more definite upon watching a second time. I really like her acting. The story could have been stronger, but it's just the start. Mostly things I am always nitpicking with all television shows - plot holes, glib excuses for why one bit of their world's logic contradicts itself often within the same scene, or places where dialog doesn't flow the way a natural conversation would. A stronger story usually distracts me from those things. I hope for some good ones after all the new characters are introduces properly. I like Ryan a lot. Grace would have been an excellent companion, too. Spoiler: I was sad she died, but knew she would because of the way they introduced her. Ryan was talking about the best woman he ever knew, and the first shot we see after his youtube post was her face. And since she wasn't introduced as a companion, and yet acted like she would have been a great companion, I was prepared for her death, but really sad to see her go.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

New theme rules

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    This is off to a wonderful start. I'm very reminded of David Tennant's doctor in her acting, which is fine, because Tennant has been my favorite so far. Capaldi was a very close second, but I didn't like Matt Smith's doctor at all.

She might settle in a though and be something different, but the first two episodes she was so much like Tennant that it was almost like she was doing a Tennant impersonation. I have no complaints with that, but I'd also be interested in seeing her settle in and do her own thing going forward.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i started crying Spoiler: as soon as she stepped into the tardis, before they even really showed how it had redesigned itself when we watched it last night. jeez i'm a weenie.

really, really enjoyed that episode. cool twist on a classic concept (space race!) with great supporting characters.

and yeah, i LOVE the new version of the theme, and the credits sequence is so gorgeous. no more shitty CG to look at!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
    This is off to a wonderful start. I'm very reminded of David Tennant's doctor in her acting, which is fine, because Tennant has been my favorite so far. Capaldi was a very close second, but I didn't like Matt Smith's doctor at all.
    I actually hear a fair bit of Matt Smith in her delivery, albeit a bit toned down, and the Tennant references are more prominent visually, the way she plays with her face and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    started crying
    Right there with ya, it was a beautiful scene; the score, the dialogue, that look of absolute joy on her, the snarky Ten callback - it all worked wonderfully. It was also a great decision to make us wait two episode for the moment, made it all the more impactful.

Didn't think the two plots were anything special so far, but I really like this Doctor and am happy to see the way the production values have changed compared to the last couple of seasons. On board as of now.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    So uh...minus the Rosa Parks episode I can't say I've really enjoyed this anymore than the previous season. I can't even tell this is a new writer if I'm honest.

Also what type of shit is this? No Christmas Special?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    So I got a Doctor Who tattoo - and being me, it couldn't just be something simple

(bonus nerd points if you can read it without hitting spoiler)

Spoiler: Pain is a gift.

Full quote: Pain is a gift. Without the capacity for pain, we can't feel the hurt we inflict. - The Twelfth Doctor, s8e12

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tonight's episode was a proper good one

Has anyone noticed the villain is so often humans for this season? Episode one was an alien and episode 5 didn't really have a villain, but the rest are humans or so-close-to-human-they're-human. I'm digging it

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I just wanted to say that I am very much in love with the 13th Doctor and with Graham.

Also, this world needs more Alan Cumming, in everything.

I'm really really really enjoying this season.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Yes, I'm really enjoying this a lot as well. None of the episode have blown me away, but there haven't been any that were disappointing either. Usually I have an episode or two that I don't really enjoy much, but that hasn't happened yet so far.

The thing I loved about this episode was how they pointed out that the situation would have been much, much different if the Doctor were still a man.

How many times has the Doctor walked up to some historical world leader, rambled incomprehensibly and been followed as a leader? But now that the Doctor's a woman, instead of following her lead, they put her on trial for witchcraft.

They haven't spent a lot of time in the modern day this season. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens when the doctor meets up with unit or torchwood, or really a historical figure who already has a standing relationship with another incarnation of the doctor.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I've been watching some of the Christmas Specials today on BBC America.

He's not my favorite Doctor but I HATE watching the Eleventh Doctor regenerate. Right in the heart.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    It's that time again. We'll see how it fares this season.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Are we really not going to talk about "Ruth", fellow Whovians?