Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    my fiancee and i have been making our way through a bunch of classic episodes. we started with "the war games" and then went backwards and watched several more Patrick Troughton episodes (we like him a lot). then we watched some of the beginning of Jon Pertwee's run, and though he's charming, he's almost too mellow for us.
    If you think he's mellow, try Peter Cushing's Doctor

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    If you think he's mellow, try Peter Cushing's Doctor
    haha, i know. we watched Doctor Who And The Daleks with Rifftrax and it was awesome.

i guess i just figured if the doctor is going to wear a cape, he's gotta be more exciting...

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Nice nod to The Brain of Morbius in the mini-sode.

Also, look how young John Hurt's War Doctor was the end. Tells you how long the Time War went on for.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trains View Post
    So, so, so awesome. marodi, watch it.
    OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!! Are those tears of joy? Yes, yes they are. How incredibly fantastic that was. But it's a bittersweet thing too because it made me think about all that could have been...

So many feels...

edit: I've just remembered: November 14th is Paul McGann's birthday!
    Last edited by marodi; 11-14-2013 at 11:08 PM. Reason: my memory is not what it once was

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Day of the Doctor teaser video / possibly part of the into to the episode:

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post

Also, look how young John Hurt's War Doctor was the end. Tells you how long the Time War went on for.
    Especially when you take into account how little Time Lords age. Eleven has been around for several hundred years at this point and looks exactly the same.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post

The 8th Doctor hangs out with them a lot in the radio plays, so it was more a nod to the radio plays in general I felt

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Just before he drank the Elixir, the Doctor recites the name of his companions whom are all from the radio plays; does it means that all of those just became canon (as well as the plays)?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    ^ Yep. Not only that, but there's a new interview with Steven Moffat on the BBC site where he pretty much confirms the audiobooks as canon. The ones I've listened to have all been very good. And it's cool because the later stories in the Eighth Doctor series really steer him towards the darker, grizzled looking Doctor we saw in the new minisode. To the point where I wonder if it was intentional.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Not crying.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    ^^^ Hands-down favorite episode of that series, possibly even the Matt Smith era. Loved the sets, the costumes, the acting from the guests...great episode.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Same here. I just read yesterday that Neil Gaiman had actually written the first draft of that episode before they had even cast Matt Smith as the Doctor.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    New prequel mini-episode on iTunes: The Last Day (link contains spoilers, but also contains a further link to the episode on Daily Motion).

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    That was alright, I guess. Not quite what I expected, but at least it's something different.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hmm, it felt more like a video game like Halo or Mass Effect than Doctor Who. But hey, it wasn't bad. Spoiler: When the Dalek came into focus though, I have to admit I thought "man, these guys are just not scary anymore". Might just be me, hopefully the special will change that!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Just watching 'adventures in time and space', a dramatisation of the beginning of Dr Who and the William Hartnell era, it's so sad when they have to create the regeneration because of his ill health and tell him he's being replaced but he doesn't want to go

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I really want to see that doc. Hopefully my internet will be fixed soon so that I can handle downloading it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Just watching 'adventures in time and space', a dramatisation of the beginning of Dr Who and the William Hartnell era, it's so sad when they have to create the regeneration because of his ill health and tell him he's being replaced but he doesn't want to go
    The whole thing was absolutely gorgeous. So much so that I thought it would have been enough just to have that show as the 50th anniversary celebration alone. Even for a young'un like me who hasn't seen any First Doctor stories, I still found it incredibly powerful and moving. It's worth watching for any fan of the show.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trains View Post
    The whole thing was absolutely gorgeous. So much so that I thought it would have been enough just to have that show as the 50th anniversary celebration alone. Even for a young'un like me who hasn't seen any First Doctor stories, I still found it incredibly powerful and moving. It's worth watching for any fan of the show.
    The bit where she sees the kids pretending to be daleks on the bus before being told the viewing figures is just great. I mean those viewing figures were about a sixth of the country's population at the time
    Last edited by WorzelG; 11-23-2013 at 09:44 AM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHThat was excellent, it was so good I can't believe Moffat was involved

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Oh my god, the feels I'm experiencing right now! That was an 80 minute long fangasm. That was fantastic!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Lost interest in Who around the time Eccleston finished up, and hadn't watched it since then... Turned on Day Of The Doctor tonight, and was very pleasantly surprised. Brilliant piece of television - hilarious, smart, well-written, emotive, well acted, and infinitely more polished than the first series of 21st century Who (talking mainly about the camerawork and direction, but the effects were great too). Will definitely be watching more in future.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I don't know, it kind of bugs me that in The End of Time (which coincidentally aired between airings of Day of the Doctor) it's established that the return of Gallifrey would be A Bad Thing. & it was established several times that the reason the Doctor did what he did to Gallifrey was that they'd become just as evil as the Daleks.

So now he's going to go off & search for Gallifrey?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skullboy0 View Post
    I don't know, it kind of bugs me that in The End of Time (which coincidentally aired between airings of Day of the Doctor) it's established that the return of Gallifrey would be A Bad Thing. & it was established several times that the reason the Doctor did what he did to Gallifrey was that they'd become just as evil as the Daleks.

So now he's going to go off & search for Gallifrey?
    Rassilon and all his crew are gone though, and not all Gallifreyans were crazyevil. As they said, over a billion children

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rassilon and all his crew are gone though, and not all Gallifreyans were crazyevil. As they said, over a billion children
    But doesn't this undo everything that happened with them originally? "Hiding" Gallifrey instead of destroying it changes the Gallifrey timeline.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skullboy0 View Post
    But doesn't this undo everything that happened with them originally? "Hiding" Gallifrey instead of destroying it changes the Gallifrey timeline.
    Nah, it fits because that happened just prior to Gallifrey's destruction, which would have happened at the time it was saved. If that was to be a plot point, I'm sure they'd've brought Dalton back.

Better question: what if someone else did the same to Skaro?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Nah, it fits because that happened just prior to Gallifrey's destruction, which would have happened at the time it was saved. If that was to be a plot point, I'm sure they'd've brought Dalton back.

Better question: what if someone else did the same to Skaro?
    No, the events of The End Of Time (from the Gallifrey perspective) took place after the Doctor pushed the big red button originally. He didn't push the big red button this time, therefore those events never happened. Unless they're trying to claim this is the way things always happened, & the War Doctor didn't remember he didn't push the button (the whole bit where they don't remember interacting with each other) & he just thinks things unfolded the way they were supposed to, & now realizes they didn't.

Edit: OK, after reading the Wikipedia article on the Time War, I may have been mixed up about the whole Time Lock thing, I thought it was something the Doctor did, but I guess it was a side-effect of the whole Time War.
    Last edited by skullboy0; 11-23-2013 at 07:32 PM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    OMG I got so emotional watching all the Doctors at work saving Gallifrey.

Also, Capaldi! Baker!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quick question - we've only got up to finishing season 5 of the new Dr Who, so the first Matt Smith season - will that make a difference to watching this?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Yep, you should definitely watch the rest of the Matt Smith stories beforehand, especially the latest series. The only thing I haven't seen was this month's 7 minutes mini episode, and still, I was kinda lost because it explains a huge plot point, and there was no re-cap of its events in the anniversary.