Thread: 2013.10.19 - University Park, PA @ Bryce Jordan Center

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

2013.10.19 - University Park, PA @ Bryce Jordan Center

Post if you were at tonight's show.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Loved the show. Thought the setlist was amazing. Various Methods of Escape and In Two were great, was hoping to get both of those, light show for In Two was ridiculous. Took a friend of mine who had never seen them before, he loved it. It was hot as balls in that arena though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I was there as well. Great setlist, stunning visuals, band was on point, backup singers were amazing. No complaints except for the yelling during Hurt and weak crowd, at least where I was located. Thank you NIN for a great concert that I thoroughly enjoyed!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Great show, glad I was there! Loved the set, only one or two swaps I'd make, but hell, I'm just glad to see another show! Wish I was down on that empty floor - whole venue was calm as hell, half the time it looked like people in the floor were barely moving!

I had the pleasure of being a couple rows in front of the "Trent fucking Reznor!" guy and the douche who just has to yell shit during Hurt, but there's always one, right?

New material sounded fantastic, and the backup singers were an awesome addition to the lineup... added a lot to in several places I wouldn't normally expect.

Might add more impressions tomorrow (today), but that was a bit of a long drive home. Hope everyone else enjoyed the show!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Show was awesome. It sounded and looked fantastic. Highlights for me include Find My Way, Reptile, Somewhat Damaged, and Even Deeper. The whole show was just perfect, but the crowd sucked. Everyone was just sitting in my section, barely moving. How is that even possible? My friend and I were the only ones standing up and moving around. Im pretty sure the people behind us were pissed at that, and if your out there Im sorry but its Nine Inch Nails, not a silent film or ballet. Get up and get into it! Ive never been to a concert where everyone just sat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My friend got sick, I had to go alone, traveled 2+ hrs one way, but the second it started I was so glad I didn't miss it. Amazing show! The lights, the band, I loved it all. I think Somewhat Damaged was my favorite. It was so good.

If Trent had forgotten why he left rural PA, he got a great big reminder tonight!! WORST audience I've ever been a part of for anything. No upper level sold at all, half filled floor and everyone else was dead to the world. No one near me even seemed to be 'headbanging' in their seat. With the exception of 'guy in bright green striped shirt at the end of row D'. Idk if he was on ecstasy or what but he danced his balls off the entire time. I seriously considered asking if I could move down to the floor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    NIN kicked ass as usual ! Santified was Godlike !! The crowd however sucked big time. WTF sits at a NIN concert ? All of section 103 YOUR LAME ! Even GA was tame! You cornfed Amish freaks dont deserve to be graced with a NIN show. And the No purse policy ? Really ? Like your an important venue ? No alcohol No energy lame ass place But great show.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Just an FYI about the alcohol- it's on a University campus, so it can't be sold (differs from state to state I believe though).

Shit, can't imagine how dry some of the Saturday football tailgating has to b in certain spots. :/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwidow View Post
    NIN kicked ass as usual ! Santified was Godlike !! The crowd however sucked big time. WTF sits at a NIN concert ? All of section 103 YOUR LAME ! Even GA was tame! You cornfed Amish freaks dont deserve to be graced with a NIN show. And the No purse policy ? Really ? Like your an important venue ? No alcohol No energy lame ass place But great show.
    I don't know if you were at the show or not...but "all of section 103" would be no one, it's behind the stage. Section 104 was the furthest to the side that was open, and was mostly standing, I was in it.

Moving on: NIN put on a great show, no complaints there. Nice to see the setlist switched up a bit. Sat right on the front row of the side this time, while I couldn't see the effects with the displays, it was very cool to be able to see everyone working and really be able to see the band members, more than just when you're "supposed" to see them. (ex: Robin Finck coming on and off with guitar changes, them "hiding" out of the lights/at the back of the stage, etc). The backup singers have grown on me from the first show I saw on this tour, I wasn't happy with their addition in Boston, but hearing it a second time it is something new and interesting.

Venue was a decent place, but seemed overly paranoid with security and took far too long screening people to come in. I also don't understand the bag policy. Boston got everyone in the door quickly and allowed bags, and they've got far more reason to be concerned about things than the middle of PA does.

As for whining about the crowd, you need bodies to have energy. There weren't enough people there to really get that sort of thing going outside of the pit (which did get going pretty well from what I could see). As for why there weren't enough people, it's in the middle of nowhere and tickets were expensive for the only people who do live there (PSU students). Especially considering Pittsburgh already got a show and there were closer shows for Philly/NJ/NYC, I'm not surprised at the lack of crowds. You've got a few low-population cities that this could be considered relatively close to (1.5hrs+ but closer than/equal to other shows), and die-hard fans who want to drive far for a second show.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Copy of A
    Terrible Lie
    March of the Pigs
    Reptile
    All Time Low
    Disappointed
    Come Back Haunted
    Find My Way
    Various Methods Of Escape
    The Big Come Down
    In Two
    Survivalism
    Running
    A Warm Place
    Somewhat Damaged
    Wish
    Burn
    The Hand That Feeds
    Head Like A Hole
    Sanctified
    Even Deeper
    While I'm Still Here - Black Noise
    Hurt

Thought the show kicked ass regardless of size of the crowd. They brought it last night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by millerm276 View Post
    As for why there weren't enough people, it's in the middle of nowhere and tickets were expensive for the only people who do live there (PSU students). Especially considering Pittsburgh already got a show and there were closer shows for Philly/NJ/NYC, I'm not surprised at the lack of crowds. You've got a few low-population cities that this could be considered relatively close to (1.5hrs+ but closer than/equal to other shows), and die-hard fans who want to drive far for a second show.
    Yeah.... I was commenting on the drive that I had found the exact middle of nowhere. I drove 2 1/2 from the Allentown area for the show... very pretty drive, but there was NOTHING between Harrisburg and State College. I was over in Section 105 and I know your section was standing, mine.... I was confused when no one stood up. On the up side, I did manage to get some good pics and a video because of it. Glad I made it out though, the setlist was great!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    The show was not loud enough. Overall it easily beat out Cleveland for me though.

Setlist (totally), band and *crowd* energy on the floor/rail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As for the security, I know it was implemented after the Boston bombing, presumably for their sporting events. I realize that State College seems like a 'nothing' place, but it had a very, VERY big scandal that brought out the craziness from a few directions. I wouldn't be surprised if they were advised to worry about retaliation.

Someone pointed out in the upcoming shows thread that sometimes festivals won't allow the artists to play within a certain range. I understand a little better why they chose SC, then. I guess Wilkes-Barre/Scranton might have still been too close. At least there would have been a MUCH bigger local base to draw from. I doubt there were many students there at all. Too bad, they really missed out.

I hate to be this negative, but it was a lousy experience in regard the crowd (not the show!!). I only got to one show this time, and my LAST one was Webster Hall. No doubt, I was spoiled :P

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I saw plenty of students near me in my section... they were mostly messing around on their phones the whole time looking bored. If this show had been at the arena in Wilkes-Barre, it would have been packed (and I would have had a 20 minute instead of hour and 20 minute drive :P). I would not be surprised if they hit Montage in Scranton for the supposed 2014 pavilion tour. If that happens, I'll host an ETS meetup at my house, haha.

Anyway, I love to read impressions - I don't think anyone was "whining" (as one person above put it) about the crowd - I think we're just expressing disappointment in lack of energy. It's a people problem. There were plenty of us getting into the show... just, like, a couple per section. I think we'd have had a lot more fun if they relocated all of us to an ETS section, but them's the breaks.

My 'complaints' as it were - I'll catch heat, but I'll say it: wasn't too keen on the Sanctified arrangement. It sounded almost like Trent wasn't exactly sure how to sing it. Another rough spot, Survivalism anyone? It sounded pretty sloppy - maybe it's just me. That's one of those songs I feel loses a bit when the crowd around you is sitting in chairs and checking their phones the whole time.

Those are really, really minor gripes though... I thought the band was tight as hell, and maybe if I hadn't made the mistake of seeing they encored a previous show with I'm Afraid of Americans, I'd be none the wiser and have less to nitpick. I'm glad Trent is back, and am really hoping I can get a couple 2014 dates under my belt.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Great show. Was "disappointed" that we didn't get The Wretched or I Would For You, but glad the setlist wasn't the exact same as the night before and Burn was a nice surprise, as well as Sanctified.

I got to the venue at 11am and ended up being like 3-5 people from the dead center of the rail so I was happy.

As for the crowd, it wasn't the rowdiest and I couldn't see that far back in the bit, but the seats looked fairly filled for the most part (there is no upper level as far as I saw, and if there is they had it closed off to begin with and not because tickets weren't sold). Granted it's only a college gymnasium pretty much, but I didn't think it was that bad given the area for the show. The rail and a number of rows back from the rail were pretty rowdy, but not as crazy and Newark and DC.

All in all, great show and glad I went. So glad I got to see three shows on this tour and can't wait until they come around again

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Here is Sanctified from last night. I missed the first 5 seconds or so and some of the end. I'm sure there's better video than mine. Unbeknownst to me at the time, I didn't have my video settings on "full HD". Apologies.

Sorry it's not on Youtube. Click "close to play" in the middle of the screen.

http://videobam.com/SuQTi
    Last edited by NINfan04; 10-20-2013 at 05:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A few notes about the venue, the whole body wanding thing is ridiculous and it caused the whole long line but it's always done here...must be a Penn State policy as I've experienced it before. The floor was 1/2 full and I'd say the seats were 3/4 full but I do believe it was the price of the tix . I was here in January for Rise Against and A Day to remember. The tix were $35 for floor and $25 for seats and guess what? The floor was packed as was the seats and I don't believe Rise Against is a bigger band than NIN. Anyway the show was nothing less than awesome, the lights are better than the LITS tour and the backup singers are a nice addition. Here's Various methods of Escape from my cam
    Last edited by downward; 10-20-2013 at 06:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Guess I'll be the dissenting opinion here. Dunno about the seats but front and center on the floor there was PLENTY of energy, at least later in the show. The setlist was pretty awful, 5 songs in a row from Hesitation Marks was a complete waste of time and energy-killer. A LOT of great older songs were skipped so they could play 3/4 of the worst NIN album. The band didn't interact with the crowd at all, felt like they were going through the motions, probably because they were playing in the middle of fucking nowhere to a half-empty arena, but still, for a hundred bucks you hope to hear TR at least say something other than the names of the band. Also watching Godspeed was literally the most bored I've ever been at a concert, and $40 for a tee shirt, seriously? I don't regret going, but I expected much better for my first NIN show. I honestly had more fun at the Rise Against concert in 2012 and I didn't even know any of their songs except Savior.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by downward View Post
    Here's Various methods of Escape from my cam
    That's awesome. Wondering if you may have possibly gotten the full show?

In my opinion, this was the best setlist thus far on the tour. Maybe it's because I have heard all the past catalog and wanted to hear more Hesitation Marks, but this setlist had enough of the "hits" varying throughout the set to make it very balanced. I don't think they were just going through the motions. Finck and Eustis had some moments of energy throughout, especially during Burn. I honestly think this was my favorite concert I have seen of the band.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedirex View Post
    Guess I'll be the dissenting opinion here. Dunno about the seats but front and center on the floor there was PLENTY of energy, at least later in the show. The setlist was pretty awful, 5 songs in a row from Hesitation Marks was a complete waste of time and energy-killer. A LOT of great older songs were skipped so they could play 3/4 of the worst NIN album. The band didn't interact with the crowd at all, felt like they were going through the motions, probably because they were playing in the middle of fucking nowhere to a half-empty arena, but still, for a hundred bucks you hope to hear TR at least say something other than the names of the band. Also watching Godspeed was literally the most bored I've ever been at a concert, and $40 for a tee shirt, seriously? I don't regret going, but I expected much better for my first NIN show. I honestly had more fun at the Rise Against concert in 2012 and I didn't even know any of their songs except Savior.
    The are many red flags in this statement, but I believe the biggest is "I had more fun at a Rise Against show than a NIN show".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Decent Night

This was my second show of the tour/week and it was a very good night. The venue didn't have a good attendance. They had curtains over the upper section and everyone with those tickets got moved into the lower seats. Even with that there were many seats open. This worked out well for my group as we moved from seats on the opposite side of the arena to sitting parallel with the front row of the GA section. After experiencing GA craziness in Brooklyn, it was interesting to see the show from a different perspective. You wouldn't think a NIN show is choreographed, but the movement of lights, screens and band members was cool to watch.

The floor from where I sat was respectable. Decent energy that got better as the night went along, but compared to Brookllyn it was weak. Couldn't tell about the seats though.

Other than the screening process, the staff was amazing. Ushers were accommodating, security didn't hastle any autograph attempts. Just a really good time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    The are many red flags in this statement, but I believe the biggest is "I had more fun at a Rise Against show than a NIN show".
    The pretentiousness, it burns. To be fair, I should've phrased it as "I had more fun/$ spent at the Rise Against show." NIN's my favorite band and it was a pleasure to see them live for the first time, but given the choice between another show like this (neophiliac setlist and all) or 3 shows on the caliber of that Rise Against show, the latter would easily win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have some of Disappointed and also all of HLAH, I'll post them later . I don't like to record the show because I like to experience the show for real, not through a 2X2 screen of a camera but there were certain points where I said that I just gotta video this! Thank for recording the audio, haven't listened to it yet but I'm sure it's great. !
    Quote Originally Posted by RITCNIN View Post
    That's awesome. Wondering if you may have possibly gotten the full show?

In my opinion, this was the best setlist thus far on the tour. Maybe it's because I have heard all the past catalog and wanted to hear more Hesitation Marks, but this setlist had enough of the "hits" varying throughout the set to make it very balanced. I don't think they were just going through the motions. Finck and Eustis had some moments of energy throughout, especially during Burn. I honestly think this was my favorite concert I have seen of the band.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Missed all the Northeast shows due to traveling and missed the Atlanta show by a day, so the only logical solution was to drive from Boston to Penn State. Trent & co were great as usual. Crowd was pretty sad overall. Two middle aged ladies were next to me and way too drunk and wouldn't shut up the entire show. Kept insulting the backup singers because they weren't hot dudes.
    I loved the setlist. I would probably have dropped Find My Way and Disappointed and replaced with the Wretched, but otherwise it kicked ass.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sedirex View Post
    Guess I'll be the dissenting opinion here. Dunno about the seats but front and center on the floor there was PLENTY of energy, at least later in the show.
    Pretty accurate. I was front and center with friends on the rail, and I'll always remember good crowd times from up there. I'm a little sore around my knee caps from the barricade and a little on my left ribcage, but it was worth the jumping up and down during several songs with all of those behind me. Everybody wasn't spaced out and all too comfortable as that apparently seems to be happening at a lot of NIN shows lately, and given the smaller turnout in this show's case I'm here to say it was also not weak up front on the floor (though far from violent).

There were a lot of fairly young looking guys behind me, many in glasses. Were any those you by chance, or were you more in the pit?

Yes @RITCNIN... I'll say again, all things considered--this was one of my better shows in terms of setlist, and I've been to a lot.

Last edited by Amaro; 10-21-2013 at 11:05 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Great show, great crowd energy at the rail. Fun times in line, even with the rain. I love spending the day in line with other NIN fans. The wristband numbering has taken most of the stress out of it. Reconnected with lots of people from other tours, other tour stops. I'm continuing to love all the new material/arrangements/personnel. Tension 2013 is an elegant and sophisticated production that's rich and gorgeous, visually and sonically thrilling. No longer angst-ridden, Trent 2013 is a formidable performer, in full command. He's in top form, at the top of his game. If you are looking to relive your youth, watch a video. If you are interested in following this brilliant man into the future, do not miss this tour!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Here's A Warm Place straight into Somewhat Damaged from the Bryce Jordan Center. Complete songs from start to finish. You're welcome. =)

http://videobam.com/aqkut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Here's the end of THTF and complete HLAH

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I do have to smile a little bit - love you guys, but really? "What are you talking about? Energy at the rail was great!" Yes - you 20 people had a great, high-energy show. However, literally looking down on the GA section, I saw 98% of folks standing around, not even doing a mild sway. Hey, I'm jealous, I'd love to be up there rocking with you, but the vast majority of the empty place was just standing around. I was the "crazy" one in my whole section because I was *gasp* standing and then occasionally *gasp* throwing a fist in the air. Band energy was fantastic, the good fans were awesome, but don't call the rest of us crazy for saying it was a low energy crowd when you were the proverbial 1 percent .

In other news, not sure if this is an ETS-er or not, but this person has an awesome selection of videos from the show... almost the whole thing and decent quality. Stumbled across it earlier this afternoon:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/silversun1100/videos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magrão View Post

There were a lot of fairly young looking guys behind me, many in glasses. Were any those you by chance, or were you more in the pit?

I may have been one of those young whippersnappers behind you. I was in the second row, no glasses but I think the guys you're talking about were just to my left.

Anyway, fucking INCREDIBLE show for me. Totally different from the one other time I saw NIN during NIN/JA when I was in pretty much the last row of seats before the lawn. Totally different dynamic up front, in a great way. My neck hurts from headbanging...always a good sign. Extremely pleased with the setlist. Trent looked and sounded in top form, hard to believe he's approaching 50.

Also enjoyed seeing one of the security guys, the black guy, singing along to "Running." What a badass.

All in all, my reaction can be summed up with a resounding "Fuck yeah!"