Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Pearl Jam

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Pearl Jam

I was there, it was nuts. PJ was to go on at 7:30 but started at 8:15. We were in the upper deck, they played 7 songs then said they had to evacuate everybody on the field due to the storm heading our way. That was at 9 pm. Roadies covered all the equipment with plastic. We waited around for more than 30 minutes, then the storm hit. We waited around until 11:15 pm, we'd been there since 6:15. Another storm started hitting. We left. We were almost home when we heard that PJ went back on at midnight.

This pic is when they were evacuating the field.

Attachment 284,
    Last edited by allegro; 07-21-2013 at 08:09 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    ^^^ That's a wild picture. Do you wish you had stayed? I am sorry you missed the rest of it. That guy who lost his wife, that Ed dedicated Come Back to is on the Pearl Jam board. I think overall I'm glad I went to the London show though - they played some rarities such as Sad and Alone.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Pearl Jam

yeah the Come Back dedication was before the storm hit, was nice.

I also got to sing along to Release. :-)

I wish they would have started on time, then we would have seen more before they evacuated. I wish they would have kept us informed; the Wrigley curfew is at 11, nobody was sure if the neighborhood would let them play a lot later than that. The last Tweet from PJ was at 11, nobody knew what was going on. I had a sick dog at home with a sitter. Yeah I was bummed, but I couldn't stay, luckily I live in the North Shore not too far north of the city so I could get home by midnight.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/0...ley-field-719/
    Last edited by allegro; 07-22-2013 at 01:27 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Pearl Jam

This is before the evacuation ...

Attachment 285

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redshoewearer View Post
    I was at the London show on 7/16 when you posted, and then didn't make it back to this thread. I hope you got to hear it on the Earthcam posted outside of Wrigley. I listened to it on the archive (they save 24 hour's worth) - I don't know if you saw that the show had to be shut down for 2.5+ hrs due to weather. They started back up at almost midnight and played till 2am! I did get to see Mind Your Manners in London, and they introduced 2 new songs at Wrigley - Lightning Bolt and I think the name was Future Days - you can find footage from the show online.

Thanks, a couple tapers shared their tapes Saturday on various sites so I grabbed one. I actually live about 30 miles west of the field and had friends at the show, so when the storm hit me I gave them a heads up it was coming and 5 minutes later they emptied the field. Sounds like the ones who stuck around got a great show.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Pearl Jam

there were a LOT of people who stuck around, a lot of the beer vendors ran out of beer.

they didn't do the entire planned set list, the Wrigley neighborhood association extended only until 2 am
    Last edited by allegro; 07-22-2013 at 01:31 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Mind Your Manners video out tomorrow!

http://instagram.com/p/dUkwL4pnCn/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Simple and effective video. love it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    All I have to say is that this is great for the big names from Seattle. King Animal comes out, less than 2 years later Chains come out with Devil Put Dinosaurs Here and now Pearl Jam with a new album. The only thing that can cap this off is if the new STP album (if they make one) would somehow have Scott's voice on it instead Buster Chokington. *why can't I break up my thoughts into separate paragraphs? It refuses to let me use my enter button.* I've never seen them live, but I have seen plenty of enough footage. Bought Live At The Garden the same day I bought Bowie's Reality Tour. Didn't have the setlist I was hoping for, but Daughter/Own Two Hands was awesome. Yellow Ledbetter was awesome. Baba O'Riley was awesome. Black was not so awesome. Every time I get to hear a Mother Love Bone tune is a treat for me, so Crown of Thorns was awesome for me. It's just a great concert. If any of you don't have it. Grab it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Video is OK - It's just Do the Evolution without all the anger really. The last 2 albums have been very hit and miss and i'm thinking this one will be the same. With the exception of touring (amazing band live) they don't really excite me much anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Twilight View Post
    Video is OK - It's just Do the Evolution without all the anger really.
    wasnt that video 100% animated? dont get the comparison unless you are comparing songs then it sorta makes sense even though i see this song on vitalogy not yield.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninedead View Post
    wasnt that video 100% animated? dont get the comparison unless you are comparing songs then it sorta makes sense even though i see this song on vitalogy not yield.
    I mean the song and subject matter. Not necessarily the style but the purpose and its message.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Pear Jam, Pear Jam, Pearl Jam...one of my first loves. PJ ten at 11 and nin broken at 12.
    I always wondered as a youngster which bands would be the pink floyds, the led zeppelins, the doors...of our generation.
    Pearl Jam.
    Fuck yes.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    fans are really hating on Sirens but I don't think it's that bad

http://popload.blogosfera.uol.com.br...-do-pearl-jam/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneSax View Post

Honestly I don't know what's so bad about it, I've had it on repeat for the last 30 minutes. I think it's awesome. Thanks for posting the link to the video.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneSax View Post

Huge PJ fan but this is terrible, just laughably terrible.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    OK, I know why fans are upset about it but seriously for anyone who has listened to rock music for the past 15-20 years. This is what a rock ballad should be. It's very simple and direct. Eddie's voice is clearly at the top of his game and he's not being sappy. Bands like Crud, Nickelturd, 3 Dull Dudes, and the rest of these godawful post-grunge bullshit bands should listen and learn. Unfortunately, they're just too dumb and bloated to realize what it takes to make a good rock song.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I...I just dont even know what to think

It's not terrible

It's not..umm...

Who are these guys and what have they done with the real members of Pearl Jam

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Pearl Jam

New albums streaming on itunes now, I'm about half way through it and it seems pretty solid so far

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Damn good little rock album here. Really digging "Getaway", "Infallible", "Pendulum", "Swallowed Whole" and "Let the Records Play". In fact, after "Sirens" (the only real dull track on here), it goes on a great run of tracks.

Another solid effort from the boys. I'd go 8/10.

It really hasn't felt that long since Backspacer, though, has it?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Some good, some average and some awful. Overall a decent album but nothing special. Nothing I really love but Yellow Moon, Infallible, Pendulum and My Father's Son are great songs.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    so here's a nice little article revisioning the band's catalogue:

Ten (1991) It's Pearl Jam's best-selling record, it's the one that even people who don't care about Pearl Jam know fairly well, and it's generally regarded as the most essential entry in its catalogue. All of this seems just. Ten has Pearl Jam's signature song ("Alive"), its most affecting song ("Release"), its most popular deep cut ("Black"), its best song to hear live ("Porch"), its most iconic/caricatured song ("Jeremy"), its dumbest fun song ("Even Flow"), and its funnest dumb song ("Once"). If Pearl Jam's career had abruptly ended in 1992, it could still draw a couple thousand people at any county fair in the country tonight based solely on this album. PROPERLY RATED.

Vs. (1993) I'm strongly tempted to argue that Vs. is underrated, since it seems to be somewhat overshadowed retrospectively by later, more cultish entries in Pearl Jam's discography. (More on that in a second.) I suppose if this were 1993, I'd argue that Vs. is overrated, since it sold the most copies in its first week of release (just over 950,000) of any album ever at the time. But in reality the truth about Vs. lies somewhere in the middle. The density of Pearl Jam classics on Vs. (most notably "Daughter," "Rearviewmirror," and "Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town") makes it attractive for newcomers to check out after Ten, and it will always be the second most overly familiar album for hard-core fans. This is exactly how Vs. should be regarded: as the Pepsi to Ten's Coke. Vs. actually sounds better than Ten, due to the reliable physicality of Brendan O'Brien's production. But the songwriting lags slightly behind, if only because of the occasional clunkiness of Eddie Vedder's political commentary. PROPERLY RATED.

Vitalogy (1994) This was the album that skeptical rock critics who had initially dismissed Pearl Jam as grunge carpetbaggers decided was OK to like, probably because it was easily the least likable Pearl Jam album to this point. The typeface on the album cover nods to Harvest, but the album's aesthetic is Time Fades Away. Half of Vitalogy is brilliant, and the other half is terrible; that this was by design doesn't make the tiresome parts any less tiresome. I've loved this album for nearly 20 years, but only recently did I realize that my version of Vitalogy consists of only six songs ("Last Exit," "Not for You," "Tremor Christ," "Nothingman," "Corduroy," and "Immortality") out of a possible 14. That is not a good percentage of plays for a supposedly classic record. I think other people similarly misremember Vitalogy's quality — it ranked no. 2 in a Rolling Stonereaders' poll about Pearl Jam albums, which is far too high. More than 877,000 people bought Vitalogy the week it came out, and I'm guessing at least 416,000 were disappointed. OVERRATED.

No Code (1996) Pearl Jam's fourth album was underrated when it first came out, and now it seems a little overrated. No Code is the departure point in Pearl Jam's discography. Loving Ten means you were young and engaged with rock music in the early '90s; lovingNo Code (and everything afterward) is what makes you a "real" Pearl Jam fan. Let's split the difference: Arguing that No Code is Pearl Jam's best record is bogus, but not counting it among Pearl Jam's best is plain old ill-informed. Looking back, it's a little amazing thatNo Code, and not Vitalogy, marked the end of Pearl Jam's "biggest band in the world" period — this is a far more consistent and overall better record. It's also more successfully "weird" — investing time with No Code and endlessly traversing its prickly corners pays much higher dividends. "Hail, Hail" is a top-five Pearl Jam "rock" song, and "Off He Goes" is a top-five Pearl Jam "slow" song. "Sometimes" is my dark-horse pick for best side one, track one on a Pearl Jam record, and "Lukin" is its most credible "we're pretending to be a punk band" song. At the time, it appeared that No Code might end Pearl Jam's career, but ultimately it's the record that set Pearl Jam on a course away from being a strictly '90s phenomenon. PROPERLY RATED.

Yield (1998) This is the last Pearl Jam LP to go platinum, and the one with the worst album cover, which, given the high standard of awful Pearl Jam album covers, is saying a lot. Yield looks like one of those mid-'80s Roger Waters solo records that only dudes who work in used-CD stores claim to like. All of that aside, Yield is the single most underrated entry in Pearl Jam's oeuvre, a solid no. 4 behind Ten, Vs., and No Code, even though it marks the start of the band's "post-mass" period. Yield is the most purely enjoyable and least pretentious record that Pearl Jam made in the '90s; if it had come out after Vs., Pearl Jam might be bigger than U2 right now. It's a testament to Pearl Jam's perversity that it waited to deliver the album that many people wanted after those people had already evacuated the bandwagon. UNDERRATED.

Binaural (2000) I once had a conversation with this guy about Pearl Jam in which he claimed that the band's best era was 1998 to 2002. This is the sort of argument a person makes after digesting so much of a particular artist's work that it has driven him to the brink of insanity. It's like saying, "You know, Raging Bull and Goodfellas are solid, but they pale in comparison to Scorsese's output from 1997 to 2002." The early '00s were clearly a bad time for Pearl Jam — Mike McCready struggled with drug addiction, there was the Roskilde tragedy, and the band was perceived by many casual observers as passé. Pearl Jam should've taken an extended break after Yield, but instead it plowed forward with the most dispiriting and deeply confused record of its career. Binauralrepresents the worst instance of Pearl Jam attempting to make music least suited to its specific skill set — it's a record of dense atmospherics and measured brooding by the most stridently anthemic and emotive band of its generation. What's supposed to be a pained, delicate sigh comes off as a dull, thudding roar. Binaural is a three-dimensional sonic representation of a band being flattened against a psychic brick wall. PROPERLY RATED.

Riot Act (2002) This album barely went gold, which means that for its entire album cycle Riot Act sold about half what Vs. did in its first week. That's an incredible tumble for the ex–world's biggest rock-and-roll band in just under 10 years. But if Riot Act is truly considered Pearl Jam's rock bottom, I think it deserves a smidge of redemption. I'm not saying it's great (or even good), but Riot Act has two songs I like ("Thumbing My Way" and "Green Disease") and Binaural has none. UNDERRATED.

Pearl Jam (2006) The "return to rock" album that every veteran band is legally required to make 15 years into its recording career, Pearl Jam was greeted with relative enthusiasm after the grumpy doldrums of the band's previous two records. Pearl Jam is loaded with fast songs in the mold of "Spin the Black Circle" — it's all flat, trebly riffs and flat, throaty vocals. Me, I never thought Pearl Jam did "fast" all that well. Its ideal tempo is exemplified by "Corduroy," which I'd describe as "midtempo plus." Pearl Jam is more like "unconvincingly rabid" — though I will ride for "Unemployable," which is a fine Tom Petty rip-off. OVERRATED.

Backspacer (2009) This is my favorite Pearl Jam album since Yield, because in many ways it reminds me the most of Yield.Backspacer is just a batch of good, melodic rock songs played in straightforward fashion without a trace of fuss or furrowed brows. The first half is likable enough, but Backspacer doesn't really take off until the middle of the record, with two fine examples of "midtempo plus" chest-beaters: "Amongst the Waves" and "Unthought Known." Backspacer deservedly became Pearl Jam's most popular album in years, debuting at no. 1 on the Billboard albums chart and spinning off a rock radio hit with the zippy "The Fixer." But Backspacer still feels a touch undervalued. Fans loved it, but the album didn't quite reestablish the concept of "new Pearl Jam" as an exciting proposition in the minds of non–Pearl Jam cultists. UNDERRATED.

Lightning Bolt (2013) When a band has lasted for 10 albums and 22 years, the best you can hope for out of a new record is a handful of good tunes that you'd happily put on your best-of-band playlist. For me, Lightning Bolt has two of them, and they're both ballads: "Sirens" and "Future Days." Thematically, these songs are close cousins, detailing the hard-won rewards (and potential pitfalls) of fidelity, whether it exists between romantic partners or a band and its audience. Pearl Jam arrives as a full-fledged nostalgia band onLightning Bolt, but only in the anticipatory sense — this is music for ruminating on where you came from, expressing gratitude for where you are, and/or feeling wistful about how we are all headed toward the same place. As to how this album is rated, I can only speculate. I suspect that fans will love this record, critics will be respectful of it, and the rest of the world will be largely uninterested. And Pearl Jam will keep on marching forward. PROPERLY RATED.
    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...properly-rated

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I've been hearing the new album a few times as of late and I really like it. I think it's better than the last album and it sounds like a band that is getting better and more confident in their craft as musicians. It's what a rock record should be.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    so here's a nice little article revisioning the band's catalogue:
    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...properly-rated
    Vitalogy isn't overrated, the album is only reminded for those six songs, yet most of the "mainstream fans" don't give a shit about "Satan's Bed" or "Inmortality" (just watch the reaction when they are played live)

I don't think Vitalogy is a great album, but certainly is very interesting, yet, you have to be a fan to appreciate it ...that's why the album ISN'T overrated...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Lightning Bolt is a definite improvement from Backspacer.

I think the Stone and Jeff songs stand out. Infallible, Let the Records Play and Pendulum are pretty cool.

In relation to the article.
    I think the only overrated PJ album is their self titled one. Til today I will not get why fans jizz all over Marker in the Sand.
    I completely agree with Riot Act being underrated, I honestly think that's their last really good effort.
    Last edited by LaneSax; 10-19-2013 at 02:54 AM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Selftitled is my second favorite Pearl Jam album behind No Code. Seriously, the first half of that item is some of the best material they've penned. "Parachutes" may indeed be my favorite Pearl Jam song ever.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I think everyone agrees the first two Pearl Jam albums are classics, after that it varies for everyone. I could never get into Vitalogy either yet really liked Binaural when it came out in 2000.
    I thought the Riot Act era was their rock bottom, they sounded much older than they were, the album had a real VH1 vibe about it, didnt seem to exciting. After that they sort of came back re-energised with the 2006 self titled album and they were great live on that tour too.
    And Yeild is good too. Given to Fly is an epic ballad.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    For me Riot Act was their last great album. After that it seems something just disappeared.