Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Pearl Jam

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    Amazon is now listing a black vinyl No Code reissue for August 13th release up for pre-order, with the same verbage as what the clear 10c version had. Either they forgot about the 2016 version, or this 2021 version will be using the original take of Who You Are. Something strange is afoot with this.
    It's a shitty copy/paste job from the 2016 release:

To celebrate the 20th anniversary of No Code, Pearl Jam reissues No Code on 150-gram vinyl. This is the first time the album has been available on the format since its original release and the first time the album is being mastered specifically for vinyl, by Grammy Award-winning engineer Bob Ludwig. It features recreations of their original packaging, including the set of nine random replica Polaroids/lyric cards.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    the Polaroids weren't random either, there was a C, O, D, and E set.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    What a great album No Code is.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    What a great album No Code is.
    Without question my favourite of the band’s.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I didn't get No Code when I first bought it, but quickly loved it when I revisited it a few years later. "Hail Hail," "Present Tense" and "Lukin" are three of their best songs, IMHO. The whole album is great though, love the World Music/Neil Young style. The album has held up really well too. Can't believe it's been 25 years. Stone Temple Pilots are doing their Tiny Music deluxe reissue too. Both albums really take me back to my junior year of high school.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    I didn't get No Code when I first bought it, but quickly loved it when I revisited it a few years later. "Hail Hail," "Present Tense" and "Lukin" are three of their best songs, IMHO. The whole album is great though, love the World Music/Neil Young style. The album has held up really well too. Can't believe it's been 25 years. Stone Temple Pilots are doing their Tiny Music deluxe reissue too. Both albums really take me back to my junior year of high school.
    Oh yeah, for sure. It definitely has a nostalgic element for me, too.

I kinda feel that No Code was the last time the band really experimented with its sound. And really, after (for me) the experimental misses of Vitalogy, stands as their one truly successfully challenging album. It’s beautiful, dusty and at times feels unsure of itself; a quality that lends itself to the rough aesthetic that I feel the band were going for with this release.

I know that my thoughts on Vitalogy will be unpopular here, given that it’s considered a classic amongst fans. But for me, No Code was the band at its peak, on all fronts.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muad'nin View Post
    Oh yeah, for sure. It definitely has a nostalgic element for me, too.

I kinda feel that No Code was the last time the band really experimented with its sound. And really, after (for me) the experimental misses of Vitalogy, stands as their one truly successfully challenging album. It’s beautiful, dusty and at times feels unsure of itself; a quality that lends itself to the rough aesthetic that I feel the band were going for with this release.

I know that my thoughts on Vitalogy will be unpopular here, given that it’s considered a classic amongst fans. But for me, No Code was the band at its peak, on all fronts.
    I thought Riot Act was probably their most experiential.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    I thought Riot Act was probably their most experiential.
    It’s certainly one in which they tried things, for sure. And is my second-favourite release of theirs, haha! Which I think would constitute another controversial PJ opinion…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muad'nin View Post
    It’s certainly one in which they tried things, for sure. And is my second-favourite release of theirs, haha! Which I think would constitute another controversial PJ opinion…
    Riot Act has Can't Keep, Save You, Cropduster, You Are, 1/2 Full and ALL OR NONE (To myself I surrender... hits so hard) so i don't think it's controversial at all, those are some of the best songs they've ever written.

Bu$hleaguer and Arc are weird in a good way and the album can be really dark sometimes.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by erre View Post
    Riot Act has Can't Keep, Save You, Cropduster, You Are, 1/2 Full and ALL OR NONE (To myself I surrender... hits so hard) so i don't think it's controversial at all, those are some of the best songs they've ever written.

Bu$hleaguer and Arc are weird in a good way and the album can be really dark sometimes.
    Id also add Ghost, one of my favorite under appreciated simply structured PJ songs

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

It’s an outlier in their discography, for sure. Which is something I always appreciated about it.

Happy to read that I’m not alone in my appreciation for this one. I feel like a bunch of their mid-period works often get overlooked…

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Finally got this up on the wall!

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Lukin is 1 of my favorite PJ songs for sure.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Riot Act is in my top 3 PJ albums and the last album of theirs that I really enjoyed

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Pearl Jam Drop New Digital Mixes of ‘Ten,’ ‘No Code’ for 30th, 25th Anniversaries
    Two LPs were released exactly five years apart on August 27th in 1991 and 1996

since it's a locked article, this is the gist:

Fans with Atmos listening capabilities can hear these new mixes by Josh Evans for Ten and No Code on Apple Music, TIDAL, and Amazon Music.
    I tried to download some tracks (not this, didn't know until now) this morning from Apple Music but it appeared to be missing from the menu, or the UI is so convoluted that I just couldn't find the menu item. Either way I really need to hear what's new, especially after the "2021" LP release for No Code was just the 2016 one. I mean, the copyright date on the damn thing still says 2016 on it ffs, all they did was slap a new bar code sticker on the back. so dumb.

OH but they sold out on the clear release to scalpers, so that's great for them.

edit:

https://pearljam.com/news/free-molin...ars-of-no-code

To further commemorate Ten & No Code, newly remixed state-of-the-art digital versions of the albums will be released on Friday, August 27th. Both anniversary editions of Ten & No Code were fully mixed by Pearl Jam producer & sound engineer Josh Evans in Dolby Atmos and Sony 360 Reality Audio to truly provide listeners with an immersive, sonic experience.
    but we won't tell you where to go for that. just, you know, figure it out.
    Last edited by allegate; 08-27-2021 at 02:20 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Didn't they already remix Ten? Also No Code sounds perfectly fine in its original mix?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    yeah, but this is in Atmos so it's special.

I mean, most Atmos releases sounds to me like someone flipped the "Live" soundstage on in the mix but some actually sound better. I kind of liked the Atmos release of Gigaton but also it really really highlighted the cut/paste production job from ol' Josh.

so, meh?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Now I feel bad for shitting on these things. mea culpa! they sound great, like there's a ton of space in the music and instruments. Hard to describe, but you know how a waveform and bricking looks? This is like the waveform is the size of a tidal wave or something, there's no clipping or compression like you hear in so much music.

Three downsides: still can't download them, the songs are limited to three services that you have to pay for so you can't purchase them, and the songs on No Code are clipped. Like physically clipped as the songs start a couple seconds into the song - one song is missing almost an entire lyrical line? - and there is no flow / cross-fade between the songs like on any other release. I hope it's fixed.

Finally I can't wait to see what Josh does to Binaural. wow.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    At this point I'm hoping for a Lost Dogs 2. Gimme that unreleased Avocado songs!

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Been getting back into PJ again. Fuck were they on fire during the 95 Vitalogy tour. I miss angry self loathing Eddie Vedder

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    An Eddie that doesn't go the hwat pronunciation.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post

MAJOR Tom Petty vibes -- but this does not sound great. Production sounds canned.

I DO recommend the Flag Day soundtrack EV did recently. Fantastic group of songs and EV sounds much better than he does in this new solo song.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    https://www.facebook.com/1311397/vid...4663176097755/

fan livestream of the show tonight.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    seems like they delivered, especially ed, and gigaton stuff sounded great live. Can't wait for ohana now!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Nice, can't wait for the bootleg.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The Pearl Jam/Motley Crue feud seems like it came 30 years too late.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I listened to the first night of Eddie Vedder from the Beacon. Not bad although I didn't feel compelled to go spend big bucks for the show here. Great version of "Porch" on the tape.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Here is a review from Ultimate Classic Rock by Michael Gallucci:

I found this line to be interesting:

They’ve stayed relevant for the most part by not playing to the huge expectations debut album Ten promised. The band put out a record in 2020, Gigaton, but Pearl Jam haven’t really made a Pearl Jam album since 1998's Yield (though LPs like 2013's Lightning Bolt come close). Vedder's creative restlessness has often seemed at odds with his bandmates' more commonplace aspirations, so their albums come off more like compromises than full-band statements.
    I never thought of PJ's post 90s albums that way, but Gallucci might have a point. I thought that the self-titled (2006) album seemed like a band statement.