Page 102 of 156 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 100 101 102 103 104 112 152 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,060 of 4652

Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    racist kidnapping and torture in chicago gets no airplay. cops were reluctant to charge these monsters initially.

http://patch.com/illinois/chicago/ha...video-suspects

nsfw

Last edited by mfte; 01-06-2017 at 05:56 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    racist kidnapping and torture in chicago gets no airplay. cops were reluctant to charge these monsters initially.

http://patch.com/illinois/chicago/ha...video-suspects

nsfw

it made international headlines and was one of the top trending topics in Europe,most read article on BBC News worldwide, Not that many American crimes get such attention here.
    I dont think it was the crime itself, as awful as it is, but way worse stuff happens on a daily basis, but it was media outlets and other rights groups slowness or refusal to label it a racist attack or a possible hate crime, that was utterly baffling people and causing outrage and puzzlement from afar.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    Yup. The media hypocrisy has been the big focus on this. What's underneath that hypocrisy is likely also what's underneath the crime itself.

If it were flipped around and was 4 white kids torturing a black kid while saying "Fuck Obama! Fuck black people!" ... Well everyone knows the coverage would have been very different.
    Well but the local consensus was that they were trying to get attention, hence the live feed, and they were drunk and high, as displayed by the liquor bottles, so while it was OBVIOUSLY a hate crime against the handicapped victim, the question was whether or not it was truly racially motivated, much like the black people who beat up the white guy who was carjacked, here, and took the time to add in some anti-Trump statements. Plain old vicious crime vs. race crime. In this case, they absolutely victimized a mentally disabled person, that is the WORST thing about this.

I live here where this was BIG coverage (well, as big as all the other awful crimes that happened here in the last month), so I can't attest to the coverage or lack thereof around the country but there wasn't much world coverage with the OTHER shit that's happened here in the last month, including a black thug beating the living shit out of a 94-yr-old woman for her purse, and she is in constant pain and has broken ribs and a pizza place cam nailed the guy, and that wasn't a hate crime, it was just "a crime" and pretty normal here even in certain suburbs.

I guess you guys didn't read about that case in Joliet where 4 white people lured 2 black dudes to an apartment and tortured them for hours then killed them then had sex on top of their bodies? That wasn't deemed a hate crime, either.

http://madamenoire.com/264476/horren...ts-on-corpses/
    Last edited by allegro; 01-07-2017 at 05:53 AM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    i saw the torture video on CBSN. Pretty fucked up.
    It is good that they are saying "reverse racism" less and less.
    Racism is racism in my book.

Also CBSN kicks ass.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    That's exactly why I wouldn't watch it. I saw a few clips of it and it was immediately obvious that their sole intention was going viral. Facebook Live bullshit.

Their victim was (intentionally) handicapped. They are degenerates. They were trying to get attention and, more importantly, they abused and tortured a mentally ill man. And now they will live in prison hopefully forever.

Facebook needs to CHANGE its policy, for sure.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-07-2017 at 01:35 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    These aren't mall kids. The people who go this far are sociopaths. And Facebook draws sociopaths.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    FB can't take down live instantly but I think it should remove graphic content and then remove users. Right now, it protects all graphic content including murders. So it ENCOURAGES live murders.

A generation older is funny that you mention considering I have been doing this since I was banging CShell and using VI editor and had 3 bangs in my email address and the fucking FBI at my house several times. Us older folks who had to actually work to make this work know how this all went so fucking wrong: it's when they let all the idiots in.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-06-2017 at 11:48 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Funny: I'm not.

Look up the "Mark Ethan Smith" Usenet controversy. My friends were involved in that, one of the first censorship issues in online history. Privacy vs. censorship.

But the victim has privacy rights, more than the criminal's Likes.

Here's MES's version: http://www.angelfire.com/bc3/dissident/

My best friend had a different view, as MES posted her name, address and phone number on Usenet as retribution.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-07-2017 at 12:01 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I guess you guys didn't read about that case in Joliet where 4 white people lured 2 black dudes to an apartment and tortured them for hours then killed them then had sex on top of their bodies? That wasn't deemed a hate crime, either.

http://madamenoire.com/264476/horren...ts-on-corpses/
    Holy shit, I had forgotten all about that.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I heard about it on the radio, where it was called "a racist assault"

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    FB can't take down live instantly but I think it should remove graphic content and then remove users. Right now, it protects all graphic content including murders.
    "Dear Americans: Stop making your military so damn huge and give people medicine and education because you're sick and stupid."

THAT got the poster a 30 day ban from Facebook for "violating community standards". I've reported racism, sexism, personal attacks, photographs of murder victims who are clearly identifiable....every single one of them eventually returned with "this does not violate our community standards" and a suggestion to simply block people I don't like.

Facebook needs to sort their shit. I'd be so fucking embarrassed to be the PR person who has to answer questions about why they work the way they do.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    It's a weird world when real life headlines sound like they were written for The Onion.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/wo...rom-curriculum

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Wait - students the School of Oriental and African Studies don't want to take a course based on white Europeans? What a shock!!!

Maybe I'll get flamed for this, but I see their point when you actually take it in context. It would be like going to school for political science and being told "okay, here's your Baking 101 class". They're going to a school with a set of expectations about what they'll be studying, then being told the curriculum goes somewhere different.

I get that schools - especially university - are about expanding your knowledge and education. So yes, I can see why people are laughing at and ridiculing students for asking that people be completely removed from their teachings. Maybe calling for the total removal of these philosophers is overkill. And I know that politically, it looks bad on paper for students to tell the teachers how the class should be. But I think the students have a fair (if somewhat hyperbolic) point, and this could be a great chance for students and staff to work together instead of simply antagonizing each other.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Wait - students the School of Oriental and African Studies don't want to take a course based on white Europeans? What a shock!!!

Maybe I'll get flamed for this, but I see their point when you actually take it in context. It would be like going to school for political science and being told "okay, here's your Baking 101 class". They're going to a school with a set of expectations about what they'll be studying, then being told the curriculum goes somewhere different.

I get that schools - especially university - are about expanding your knowledge and education. So yes, I can see why people are laughing at and ridiculing students for asking that people be completely removed from their teachings. Maybe calling for the total removal of these philosophers is overkill. And I know that politically, it looks bad on paper for students to tell the teachers how the class should be. But I think the students have a fair (if somewhat hyperbolic) point, and this could be a great chance for students and staff to work together instead of simply antagonizing each other.
    That's assuming that Descartes or Kant can't inform a reflection on the place and history of Africa and the orient within the context of the western world they're inhabiting.

I understand your point, mind you.

Ultimately my personal opinion is that everyone's kneejerking a bit too forcefully.
    Last edited by Khrz; 01-09-2017 at 03:32 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Ultimately my personal opinion is that everyone's kneejerking a bit too forcefully.
    Exactly. Seems like extreme reactions from all sides and very little actual dialogue.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    dismissing Kant as a voice for "white colonialism" is ludicrous in the context of a discussion about philosophy in general. At some point, any specialized focus (which I'm sure already leans) goes out the window when the context is broadened, and if people are saying that Plato is somehow dismissible because he was white... that's just nuts. When I was in college, I took a class that centered around classic Japanese literature and philosophy. That was the primary focus, but we also discussed Confucius at length. Why, since he was Chinese, would we be discussing him in a course on Japanese lit? Probably because he was hugely influential to Japanese philosophers and writers.

When you sign up for an education, you are going to be presented with thoughts and ideas from people you might not personally be interested in. I personally couldn't stand reading Jacques Derrida, but tough shit; a course dedicated to Philosophy and Literary Criticism would be sorely lacking if it excluded him for whatever reason. We also read Kant, Plato, Cixous, Roland Barthes, Aristotle, Freud, Confucius, Bertrand Russell, Thomas More, Sun Tzu, and tons of excerpts from writers from different regions and eras. I would assume that if USC had a specialized focus, we would have leaned towards that, but we still would have read Kant, because otherwise that course is bullshit.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I don't buy it. It's one thing to aim for a more inclusive curriculum, it's another to demand that that subject matter be dropped because of race. This whole thing stinks of that ScienceMustFall video a while back, where they wanted to drop 'decolonize' science by teaching about witch doctors that can strike people down with lightning.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    In the last couple of days, backpage has removed their adult sections, apparently facebook and Instagram are cracking down on "questionable" content, and now Fetlife just made a very confusing statement that says:

We just got some bad news. We can no longer allow FetLifers to publicly share sexual pics and vids containing blood visible in them. As much as this news saddens us, there is nothing we can currently do about it, particularly with the current political climate.
    Is all of this shit connected? What in the fuck is going on? This saddens me so much. I've been searching like crazy for the last couple of hours to try to find out why, and I'm unable to come up with anything.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Get fucked, you ignorant old bastard.

I know (okay, I hope) nothing will actually come from this, but it just infuriates me that anyone so astronomically fucking idiotic could be in a position of power at any level of government.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    apparently facebook and Instagram are cracking down on "questionable" content
    *cough*bullfuckingshit they are*cough*

https://www.buzzfeed.com/maggyvaneij...en9#.dqzQm5234

According to Facebook, video of a 12 year old hanging herself isn't against their community standards.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    After 146 years, Ringling Bros. Circus' The Greatest Show on Earth is closing down for good: http://www.seattletimes.com/business...ter-146-years/

Thanks a lot 21st Century. Oh, and animal activists.... fuck you. I hope a tiger kills your ass.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    After 146 years, Ringling Bros. Circus' The Greatest Show on Earth is closing down for good: http://www.seattletimes.com/business...ter-146-years/

Thanks a lot 21st Century. Oh, and animal activists.... fuck you. I hope a tiger kills your ass.
    Blaming animal rights activists for this is idiotic. Fewer people were going because there just aren't enough people who like the circus, and it's not like it something you go to year after year. Once you've seen it, you've seen it, so repeat customers aren't pouring in through the gates. Operating costs were skyrocketing and attendance was falling, at the same time. The circus wasn't some public service that has to continue; it was a private entertainment venture. Businesses close when they're not viable anymore. And this is coming from someone with an awful lot of friends and colleagues who got their start with RB. I know what that circus means to some people. My last roommate owed his entire career to them. In that regard, it's sad to see it go. But it's stupid to say that this happened because a small number of activists were upset about it, and even dumber to literally wish a gruesome death upon them.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Blaming animal rights activists for this is idiotic. Fewer people were going because there just aren't enough people who like the circus, and it's not like it something you go to year after year. Once you've seen it, you've seen it, so repeat customers aren't pouring in through the gates. Operating costs were skyrocketing and attendance was falling, at the same time. The circus wasn't some public service that has to continue; it was a private entertainment venture. Businesses close when they're not viable anymore. And this is coming from someone with an awful lot of friends and colleagues who got their start with RB. I know what that circus means to some people. My last roommate owed his entire career to them. In that regard, it's sad to see it go. But it's stupid to say that this happened because a small number of activists were upset about it, and even dumber to literally wish a gruesome death upon them.
    Oh and you think these activists are any better?

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Any better than who what on what regard?

When I was a kid there still was circus on TV. That quickly disappeared. Now there are fewer and fewer of them, and this trend has been going on way before animal activists had their aim set on the well-being of the animals on display. Circuses have been failing since the 70ies at least, even novelty circuses are struggling hard.
    As @theimage13 said, it's a matter of market, offer and demand. The public just isn't there, they're just not going, and it's not because they've been guilted into feeling bad for the elephants and horses, it's because they don't give a fuck anymore.
    You can hate on animal activists all you want, but they don't need to do anything for circuses to die.
    Last edited by Khrz; 01-15-2017 at 08:27 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Any better than who what on what regard?
    Look, I'm aware that animals are mistreated and that does suck. I'm just dealing with the fact that something I remembered from my childhood is now becoming obsolete. I actually liked going to the circus as a kid and Ringing Brothers put on an entertaining show. I'm just saddened that there won't be anything like this as there's just too many morons nowadays looking into their fucking smartphones worrying about this tweet or their fucking social status.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Look, I'm aware that animals are mistreated and that does suck. I'm just dealing with the fact that something I remembered from my childhood is now becoming obsolete. I actually liked going to the circus as a kid and Ringing Brothers put on an entertaining show. I'm just saddened that there won't be anything like this as there's just too many morons nowadays looking into their fucking smartphones worrying about this tweet or their fucking social status.
    Still they go to the theater, concerts, museums... So blaming new technologies isn't it either. You'd have to erase a huge chunk of cultural events and places for the circuses to rise again.
    They're from an era where they were the only entertainment that actually came to you, to your little shitty town where nothing happened ever, where a rogue cow was the stuff of legends. Things have changed, people had TVs, and games, cities grew, and circuses have become more and more obsolete and out of place. That's how it goes...

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Well, I wish people aren't so fickle these days.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    I usually agree with thevoid99 on most things especially Bowie. I happen to love animals of all kinds so these types of things circus's, Sea World whatever in most cases have been proven to have abused animals at some point so things like the killer whale show at Sea World or the circus going bye bye is fine with me.

Now if these types of organizations want to round up Trump supporters and abuse the fuck out of them, then throw them into a wood chipper thats fine with me.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Huh? Any better than who? Or what? What on earth are you talking about?

Also, for what it's worth: several of my friends from the circus were also animal lovers - the kind whose blood would boil at anything from a poorly run zoo to headlines about some guy abandoning his puppy. They all swore up and down that a specific point of pride for working with RB was how well they treated the animals.

What on god's green earth do smartphones and social media have to do with the circus closing? People didn't stop going because they were afraid that Mrs. Johnson next door would *tisk tisk* them for being some animal hating commies. They stopped going because it's old hat. Been there, done that, seen it. Don't need to so it again and again. The circus was first and foremost a family attraction. Now, think about who's having kids: 20- and 30-somethings. What are they into these days? Not the circus! They take their kids elsewhere; if they can even afford it on top of their six figure student loans and shitty wages.

It's fucking expensive to run that tour. All of the staff on tour, all of the local staff that has to help, the fact that they literally transport their crew everywhere on their own TRAIN. I could go on. It costs a ton of money to make this happen, but people who have already seen it aren't screaming to come back and see it again. You can only soak a sponge so much before it just won't hold any more water. You'd have had to really jack up ticket prices to keep it floating, but if they'd done that, attendance would have fallen even harder. Believe me, I've been on tours that were canceled for just that reason.

I get that you liked the circus and you're sad to see it go. But you can't just go around blaming activists, then accuse the entire population of being narcissistic and paranoid about their social status. I mean, I suppose you can. You'd just be entirely off-base in your accusations.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    People's tastes change. When I was a kid, there were at least 5 variety shows on TV per week, e.g. "Hollywood Palace," "The Jackie Gleason Show," "The Dean Martin Show," "The Sonny and Cher Show." Now there are none.

There are still "circuses" but they're different kinds of thematic changing circuses, like Cirque du Soleil is hugely profitable and successful.

Ice skating shows have hung in there in various incarnations for several decades, too.