Page 117 of 156 FirstFirst ... 17 67 107 115 116 117 118 119 127 ... LastLast
Results 3,481 to 3,510 of 4655

Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-p...612-story.html

Proposal to split California in three will be on the state ballot in November. NorCal, SoCal, and California (aka Beach California).

Not the first time this has happened, and polling still shows weak support (sub-20%), but it got over 400,000 signatures in order to get on the ballot.

While they're at it, let's move NYC to NJ and make the rest of New York its own state.
    Why do rich white guys think they always have the answers?

Oh yeah.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Canada just legalized Marijuana.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ziltoid View Post
    Canada just legalized Marijuana.
    I thought they did that like a year ago. Or did it just become effective?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I thought they did that like a year ago. Or did it just become effective?
    https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...-act-bill-c-45

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Been a busy day for the Supreme Court already. First the Travel Ban, and then this: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us...JhT?li=BBnb7Kz

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Mass shooting at a Maryland newspaper.

Who would've thought this would ever happen in gun-loving, press-hating Trumpland.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Mass shooting at a Maryland newspaper.

Who would've thought this would ever happen in gun-loving, press-hating Trumpland.
    I've been having some wild discussions on Facebook about this mess. One of my close friends is a journalist - a music journalist at that. The amount of crap he receives about being a part of the "#fakenews librul elite media" is crazy-making. He's a music journalist for crying out loud, he doesn't even write about politics. But once people hear what he does for a living, people start frothing at the mouth with hatred. It's absurd. There has been a very intentional attack on journalism for a long time, and the chickens are coming home to roost.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Torturing children who are fleeing persecution and basically condemning them to a horrible life wasn't horrendous enough, so Americans are now stabbing three-year-old refugee children to death at their own birthday parties.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Torturing children who are fleeing persecution and basically condemning them to a horrible life wasn't horrendous enough, so Americans are now stabbing three-year-old refugee children to death at their own birthday parties.
    jesus. this is tough to read.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    It's shit like this that makes me ashamed of being an American and why I don't feel like celebrating this nation's birthday. Especially in light of what has been happening.

Fortunately, someone has decided to make a statement about what is going on by going to the one place that stands for liberty and has pissed off all of these so-called "Americans" on its birthday: https://apnews.com/5c1c7e497d8b45b9b...source=Twitter

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I'm a baseball fan, the Toronto Blue Jays specifically. Our closing pitcher, Roberto Osuna, was recently charged with Assault, and issued a 75-day suspension. I don't think this is a serious enough punishment, and I'd like to still be able to cheer for my favorite team.

I've started a petition to have him removed from the team. Please consider supporting it.

https://www.change.org/p/ross-atkins...onto-blue-jays

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    It's shit like this that makes me ashamed of being an American and why I don't feel like celebrating this nation's birthday. Especially in light of what has been happening.

Fortunately, someone has decided to make a statement about what is going on by going to the one place that stands for liberty and has pissed off all of these so-called "Americans" on its birthday: https://apnews.com/5c1c7e497d8b45b9b...source=Twitter
    To be fair, the stabbing of refugee children isn't gvmt policy (yet.) It was just some lunatic

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    When reporters and critics have repeatedly pointed out those potential consequences of Wilson's work over the last five years, he has argued that he’s not seeking to arm criminals or the insane or to cause the deaths of innocents. But nor is he moved enough by those possibilities to give up what he hopes could be, in a new era of digital fabrication, the winning move in the battle over access to guns.

With his new legal victory and the Pandora's box of DIY weapons it opens, Wilson says he's finally fulfilling that mission. “All this Parkland stuff, the students, all these dreams of ‘common sense gun reforms'? No. The internet will serve guns, the gun is downloadable.” Wilson says now. “No amount of petitions or die-ins or anything else can change that."
    OK, sure. How about we focus on making something useful downloadable like pizzas or something.

And don't we have a gun thread?

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    OK, sure. How about we focus on making something useful downloadable like pizzas or something.

And don't we have a gun thread?
    @allegate , it was implied by The Jetsons that we would have foodarackacycles by now, or electronicooks at the very least, and i, for one, am disappointed.
    Furthermore, we have a gun thread but no pizza thread.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    lmao
    Also we have no first amendment thread. Do we need one? Cause this is heavily a first amendment issue.
    The foodarackacycle issue or the pizza issue?

it's a first amendment issue because even if i petitioned the government regarding my grievance about the foodarackacycle, they would likely find some way to bury it, right?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    The DOJ backs down after a long battle, admits defeat. Guns are now legally downloadable.
    We need an at home pharmacy "printer," available ingredients, and instructions on how to make our own prescription medication (perhaps not legal during a short patent period, but after that, free game).

And, looks like some have already been trying to do that... https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...cription-drugs .

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Germany, the country that carried out the Holocaust, considers it a criminal offence to deny that it happened and has replied as such.

https://www.politico.eu/article/germ...rman-facebook/

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    He sounds well-adjusted.
    He reacted angrily to the court’s action, calling it “corruption.”
    “Whether you agree or not with this initiative, this is not the way democracies are supposed to work,” he said in an email. “This kind of corruption is what happens in Third World countries.”

He said the state’s “insiders” were “in cahoots.”

Cahoots. That's a word I haven't seen used in awhile.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    FINALLY SOME GOOD NEWS

Scottish wildcat: 'Rarest kittens' in the world rescued

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-44885523

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Fucking Janus resigned. What a shitbag.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/ja...re-union-dues/

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/news/lo...threat-230413/

So, it looks like they published the article about what this restaurant did to my daughter and I when we were on vacation last week.

We had heard about this restaurant, because they're very highly rated. We had just come from the beach and all 3 of us were dressed in bathing suits and t-shirts. We went in, asked for a table, and the greeter asked us if we'd like to be seated inside or outside, we asked for inside, and then a waitress came running out from the back screaming at my 14-year old daughter and pointing at her crotch saying "she needs a cover up" over and over again.

We deescalated the situation and left (this waitress was really loud and angry), and I wrote to and spoke to the owner about how unacceptable it was to sexually discriminate against a female in the same attire as the 2 men she was with, how unacceptable it is to sexualise a 14-year old girl by pointing at her crotch and coming across the restaurant. The owner stated that he thought that was fine, and went on some diatribe about speedo's VS bikini's.

I had written to the newspaper, trying to get as much attention brought to the situation as possible, and a reporter contacted me. He contacted the restaurant. The restaurant has responded by attempting to body shame my daughter, claiming that her ass was hanging out of her bathing suit (that's not true, nor would it justify yelling at a 14 year old girl from across a restaurant and coming at her while pointing to her crotch), and claiming that they didn't refuse us service, and only requested that she change her clothes.

The newspaper published their article last night, and I've started getting the typical hate-message floods that you'd expect. Apparently all week the restaurant has been telling their customers that they didn't point at her crotch, but instead pointed at her bathing suit bottoms. I'm really curious where they think people wear their bathing suits.

Anyways, if you're ever in PEI avoid the Water Prince Corner Shop like the plague.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Wow. Thats terrible. Good for you for speaking up.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I haven't been too impressed with the behavior of fellow Canadians lately whether it's racism or an incident like that, it's like people are salivating for confrontation.

Maybe this waitress was some sort of germaphobe or something? i dunno. Certainly doesn't excuse her behavior, obnoxious!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    This is awful, and sort of confirms a few stories i'd heard at the time about how badly the local government dropped the ball:
    "Containers of Hurricane Donations Found Rotting in Puerto Rico Parking Lot"

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/10/us/puerto-rico-aid.html

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Good article from WaPo regarding Mollie Tibbetts, Trump and his supporters being complete shitheads about the situation, and the data to back up the paper's stance.

I have a really hard time reading about things like this because I tend to put myself in the victims' shoes, which gets to be pretty traumatic and panic-inducing. But it comforts me to see that journalists are still out there calling out the so-called President on his bullshit claims that immigrants are an inherent danger and we need to wall the country off.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Good article from WaPo regarding Mollie Tibbetts, Trump and his supporters being complete shitheads about the situation, and the data to back up the paper's stance.

I have a really hard time reading about things like this because I tend to put myself in the victims' shoes, which gets to be pretty traumatic and panic-inducing. But it comforts me to see that journalists are still out there calling out the so-called President on his bullshit claims that immigrants are an inherent danger and we need to wall the country off.
    the whole thing makes me sad. exploiting someones tragity at the highest level
    -Louie