Page 110 of 156 FirstFirst ... 10 60 100 108 109 110 111 112 120 ... LastLast
Results 3,271 to 3,300 of 4655

Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    https://www.facebook.com/michellerem...?fref=mentions

information regarding the intolerance of female genital mutilation has been removed from a draft of the new Canadian Citizenship Guide.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'm sure most folk are sick of all the Donald Trump talk, well the New York Times ran a couple of interesting articles today...

Glowing Auras and ‘Black Money’: The Pentagon’s Mysterious U.F.O. Program
    https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/12/1...arry-reid.html

2 Navy Airmen and an Object That ‘Accelerated Like Nothing I’ve Ever Seen’
    https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/12/1...ject-navy.html

Apparently the study of UFOS was in our military budget.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    Anyone following the gay wedding cake situation? Shit is fascinating. Way more going on than I thought based on the shit media coverage.

There was no refusal to sell a cake. It was refusal to decorate in a specific way... which is art... which is speech. It's on par with asking a muslim baker to decorate a cake with the face of Mohammad.
    How was it asked to be decorated? How is that different from most weddings where the bride wants the cake to look a certain way? Why has this not been mentioned by a single person until you and now?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    GOP tax bill just passed: https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...44d_story.html

Of course, business as usual. BOO!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42471582

This man is starting to become a threat to Vladimir Putin enough of a threat to take note of, if something big becomes of this in Russia the chain reaction could be immense globally, he has galvanized a huge amount of people, may cause big waves next year. could expect massive protests if this man is not allowed to run.
    To be honest I don't know why Putin has not done more to 'sort him out' already.
    but don't expect Putin to leave without a fight if it does become intolerable for him, problem is that fight could be very violent. Putin knows he will end up with a rope around his neck like Saddam Hussein or Muammar Gadaffi if he loses power and people find out how much money he has stolen from the Russian public.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42471582

This man is starting to become a threat to Vladimir Putin enough of a threat to take note of, if something big becomes of this in Russia the chain reaction could be immense globally, he has galvanized a huge amount of people, may cause big waves next year. could expect massive protests if this man is not allowed to run.
    To be honest I don't know why Putin has not done more to 'sort him out' already.
    but don't expect Putin to leave without a fight if it does become intolerable for him, problem is that fight could be very violent. Putin knows he will end up with a rope around his neck like Saddam Hussein or Muammar Gadaffi if he loses power and people find out how much money he has stolen from the Russian public.
    I just hope this new guy stays alive and do what needs to be done. Then we can get rid of the asshole at the White House.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Holy shit, Hawaii just got an actual missile threat warning on the news and on their phones.

Confirmed that it was an error, but the videos showing what was on TV when it hit are fucking terrifying: https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/952246857933221888

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    There's been meteor sightings in Michigan and now just saw some video from somewhere even closer to my neck of the woods tonight.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I don't want to hear another Republican say the the blue are a bunch of crybabies with this fucking New California shit. This is just sad

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    I don't want to hear another Republican say the the blue are a bunch of crybabies with this fucking New California shit. This is just sad
    I heard about New California. What the fuck? This is just getting really stupid. Plus, let's not forget that California originally belonged to the Mexicans who lost the land in the Mexican-American War in 1848 and were paid off $15 million which would be $150 trillion or more these days.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Omg wtf

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    wow. "Israeli police to recommend indicting Netanyahu over alleged bribery in two cases" https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...D=ansmsnnews11

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    There's a school shooting right now at a high school in Parkland, Florida: https://www.yahoo.com/news/live-upda...200936418.html

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    There's a school shooting right now at a high school in Parkland, Florida: https://www.yahoo.com/news/live-upda...200936418.html
    That’s where my little brother went to high school. He just texted me, he’s like HOLY SHIT.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    That’s where my little brother went to high school. He just texted me, he’s like HOLY SHIT.
    hope he is OK there's something here that isn't passing the smell test?
    -Louie

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Cypher View Post
    hope he is OK there's something here that isn't passing the smell test?
    -Louie
    My little brother was in high school a LONG time ago, he has a grandchild now (and is back in the Detroit area).

I was watching the news coverage, really horrible video from inside the school during the shooting omg.

The kid arrested for this is a former student who had a collection of weapons that he was parading on Instagram?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    wow. "Israeli police to recommend indicting Netanyahu over alleged bribery in two cases" https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...D=ansmsnnews11
    This is all kinds of wtf, although I never liked that guy.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    This is all kinds of wtf, although I never liked that guy.
    I always thought that if he was going to find trouble, it would be due to being such a hardliner jackass. Corruption is a whole other level of surprise.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    God, that brings back some bad memories. 10 years ago today was the shooting at NIU. I remember coming out of class that day, looking around the campus seeing everyone on their phones and just being confused as hell. Then someone told me what happened, and my heart sank.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    God, that brings back some bad memories. 10 years ago today was the shooting at NIU. I remember coming out of class that day, looking around the campus seeing everyone on their phones and just being confused as hell. Then someone told me what happened, and my heart sank.
    17 people dead and several are wounded. All on Valentine's Day and for some goddamn reason, it's making me think of the song David Bowie did a few years ago which was about a kid shooting people at a high school. That's just fucked up. I don't think that was what Bowie intended the song to be as it was more of a response to gun control.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    My husband and I know the Professor who was shot at NIU.

This has happened a BUNCH of times; one of my friends is a college art professor who said they are now taught how to do drills for active shooters.

One of our friends is our age, graduated from high school the same year as us (and Obama) when we never had to worry about shit like this at school; today he texted me this message, I think he’s really on to something here:

Sad but this is becoming all too common. I truly believe it has something to do with social media and the alienation of our society; we are with or connect with more people but only on a superficial level which really isn't good enough; kind of reminds me of what happened to Robert De Niro in Taxi Driver
    Last edited by allegro; 02-14-2018 at 11:09 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Random General Headlines

I admit to doing my best in ignoring shootings, like with any bad news. But in a new house with a TV near the kitchen, this afternoon’s live coverage (over my “breakfast”) got me sucked in. Even at the time it was reported to be a “level 3” shooting status (20-50 people directly affected), it didn’t register to my brain that this could be such a grim one. It felt like forever before the first death was reported, so I was sitting there hoping and hoping, for no more. Hopes were shattered.

Just a terrible highlight of the day. So tragic. Such a sad shame also that there were perhaps more than enough warning signs from the suspect.
    Last edited by Amaro; 02-17-2018 at 07:41 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    My husband and I know the Professor who was shot at NIU.

This has happened a BUNCH of times; one of my friends is a college art professor who said they are now taught how to do drills for active shooters.

One of our friends is our age, graduated from high school the same year as us (and Obama) when we never had to worry about shit like this at school; today he texted me this message, I think he’s really on to something here:
    There's a podcast that just started up called Weird Heat, and the first episode is about Optimism. I don't know if it's a particularly good episode because I've been listening to the two knuckleheads on other shows for years so YMMV.

At any rate, there's a part in there about social media and how it's depressing people because no one's really talking about their bowel movements or any other little thing that's bothering them unless it's for clicks and likes. Kind of a "look at how great my life is, I'm eating dinner at a 5-star restaurant and have a beautiful SO here with me." or Instagram models who literally get paid to be pretty. It puts you in a different place mentally. Like you have to be having all these great moments in your life as well or you're missing something. There's one point where they talk about when you die and the person in charge says, "Good news, you get to live in your best day ever. It's August 27th, 1997. Don't worry, we did the math. It's your best day ever." It might not be your wedding day or any other day you commonly associate with "the best" but it's the best for exactly that reason.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    we now know why trump was slow to respond https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0774f31d34100
    -Louie

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Cypher View Post
    we now know why trump was slow to respond https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0774f31d34100
    -Louie
    And the fact that he's put in a lot of money towards the NRA. Of course he'll never say anything about gun control.