Page 68 of 156 FirstFirst ... 18 58 66 67 68 69 70 78 118 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,040 of 4661

Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    i can DEFINITELY feel you @Jinsai , but i still maintain my fear that people are only going to care about THIS lion and that it will soon be forgotten.

And it's damn sure not because i'm some kind of renegade animal activist that i feel this way. I come closer to being a carnivore than a vegan.

Its more that we care about what we are told to care about, when we are told to.
    And i think it sucks that it has taken this long for people to be "told" to care about this issue.
    And i hope to god that people DO look into this issue for themselves and go beyond it being this month's cause celebe.
    It's not about trend hopping posers, it's about media manipulation (see: my last post in the Ferguson thread.)

What is upsetting to me here is that i believe that the media isn't covering this because they are really outraged, the media is covering it because it's a good STORY, because the lion had a name. And none of the stories i've caught aren't talking about the issue as a whole.

In fact, i just saw a story that they have found out that another person killed an animal in southern africa.
    Another ONE person.
    Why aren't they talking about the other 1,999 people who have done this in the past year?

You make some great points man, but i absolutely stand by mine, and i think that i might not have expressed it well enough.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    i can DEFINITELY feel you @Jinsai , but i still maintain my fear that people are only going to care about THIS lion and that it will soon be forgotten.

And it's damn sure not because i'm some kind of renegade animal activist that i feel this way. I come closer to being a carnivore than a vegan.

Its more that we care about what we are told to care about, when we are told to.
    And i think it sucks that it has taken this long for people to be "told" to care about this issue.
    And i hope to god that people DO look into this issue for themselves and go beyond it being this month's cause celebe.
    It's not about trend hopping posers, it's about media manipulation (see: my last post in the Ferguson thread.)

What is upsetting to me here is that i believe that the media isn't covering this because they are really outraged, the media is covering it because it's a good STORY, because the lion had a name. And none of the stories i've caught aren't talking about the issue as a whole.

In fact, i just saw a story that they have found out that another person killed an animal in southern africa.
    Another ONE person.
    Why aren't they talking about the other 1,999 people who have done this in the past year?

You make some great points man, but i absolutely stand by mine, and i think that i might not have expressed it well enough.
    Facebook isn't a news source. I wish people wouldn't judge "media coverage" by what appears in their FB newsfeed.

Some long-term changes that Cecil's death has prompted:

UN adopts resolution to fight wildlife poaching

Namibia: Hunters' Association Spends N$2 Million On Anti-Poaching

Prince William honors Kenyan ranger for anti-poaching efforts

Poaching of Cecil the lion prompts United, Delta to ban big-game trophies
    Last edited by Baphomette; 08-04-2015 at 01:43 AM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Baphomette View Post
    Facebook isn't a news source. I wish people wouldn't judge "media coverage" by what appears in their FB newsfeed.

Some long-term changes that Cecil's death has prompted:

UN adopts resolution to fight wildlife poaching

Namibia: Hunters' Association Spends N$2 Million On Anti-Poaching

Prince William honors Kenyan ranger for anti-poaching efforts

Poaching of Cecil the lion prompts United, Delta to ban big-game trophies
    that's fucking great!

i get my news from my roku box (and SOMETIMES my mom's tv...i ONLY watch roku in my room,) and these stories haven't been covered yet.
    i don't know where you got the idea that i consider facebook a news source
    Last edited by elevenism; 08-04-2015 at 05:44 AM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    sorry for double post but i wish to change subject.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/bat...shingtonPost11

This one sucks!
    The batter accidentally hit the 9 year old bat boy in the head and fucking KILLED HIM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    i don't know where you got the idea that i consider facebook a news source
    I wasn't referring to you.

But I'm glad you brought up Roku. The majority of their news channels are network affiliates and we all know network news is incredibly filtered and narrow in its scope of coverage. What channels do you watch? Also, this should probably move to the Roku thread to avoid drift.
    Last edited by Baphomette; 08-04-2015 at 06:12 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

https://www.rt.com/news/311327-granny-serial-killer-samsonova/

Can't even trust the elderly anymore. Could you imagine if you found out your Grandma was a cannibal? I'd probably never leave my house again.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    A lot of people would probably say he should have shut them down and told them to fuck off, but everyone knows it's not that simple, and he probably made the right decision by just walking away. The organizers of the event failed here, and it actually is that simple... as long as we understand that the people who rushed the stage here are not representative of an entire movement.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    A lot of people would probably say he should have shut them down and told them to fuck off, but everyone knows it's not that simple, and he probably made the right decision by just walking away. The organizers of the event failed here, and it actually is that simple... as long as we understand that the people who rushed the stage here are not representative of an entire movement.
    I think he handled this the best possible way he could. He definitely got out of this as a "winner". Those BLM protesters on the other hand definitely didn't help their cause

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by telee.kom View Post
    I think he handled this the best possible way he could. He definitely got out of this as a "winner". Those BLM protesters on the other hand definitely didn't help their cause
    And that's why it's important to remember that a handful of people do not represent a movement, and that the stupid shit on display here is in no way a real indication of what the Black Lives Matter movement means.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    And that's why it's important to remember that a handful of people do not represent a movement, and that the stupid shit on display here is in no way a real indication of what the Black Lives Matter movement means.
    I think this incident would deserve some formal denouncement from leaders of BLM, they supposedly posted an apology on their official facebook or twitter profile, but deleted it after a while. I don't really understand what should I take away from this

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I think this incident would deserve some formal denouncement from leaders of BLM, they supposedly posted an apology on their official facebook or twitter profile, but deleted it after a while. I don't really understand what should I take away from this
    I dunno, but they never seem to care about the black lives in Chicago.

Spike Lee knows, though.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-09-2015 at 02:02 PM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Why, because it made a bunch of so-called "progressive" allies upset? Nope.
    @allegro, like when Black Out Pride activists demonstrated during Chicago's Pride parade?

They have been deemed disposable. The abuse they endure is largely invisibilized. And in the face of state-sanctioned violence, they are not looking to embrace salvation through respectability. They are defending their identities and their communities as having inherent worth, and demanding visibility in a culture that would turn a blind eye to their destruction.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    All of the posts about the protest on Imgur seem like they've been a fun and exciting opportunity for people to get to be racist. :/

Sanders is the most progressive candidate I know of in the race about this, but blehhhh

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    He doesn't seem to be at a loss of words about the current climate of this though, which makes it a little confusing to me as to why they are interrupting his gatherings and not someone else's.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Why, because it made a bunch of so-called "progressive" allies upset? Nope.
    Because it is retarded way of protesting. If this movement wants to be taken seriously, I doubt it will achieve it by attacking people who fought for civil rights thrice as long as these girls are alive. Not to mention calling the crowd white supremacists, after they try to boo you out of the stage, you are not supposed to be to begin with, is just ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Not to take away from the seriousness of the subject, but that's really nice visualization. I'm impressed

@BrewHa Sipping on black tears while drinking coca cola would go nicely as well. Or would it? So the girl is fighting against racism by racism. Slow clap
    Last edited by telee.kom; 08-09-2015 at 04:30 PM.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Because it is retarded way of protesting

Hello!

Retarded is a super shitty word to use! You're equating people with mental disabilities with something that is shitty and doesn't make sense to you.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by playwithfire View Post
    Hello!

Retarded is a super shitty word to use! You're equating people with mental disabilities with something that is shitty and doesn't make sense to you.
    Please don't teach me what words I can and can't use

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Please be quiet, grown ups are talking.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Not to take away from the seriousness of the subject, but that's really nice visualization. I'm impressed
    Chicago shot clock, 2015
    Last edited by allegro; 08-09-2015 at 10:07 PM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    He doesn't seem to be at a loss of words about the current climate of this though, which makes it a little confusing to me as to why they are interrupting his gatherings and not someone else's.
    "Why aren't you protesting someone else who is worse?" was a question asked Occupy protestors challenged "progressive" Democratic politicians, when CODEPINK interrupted a Michelle Obama speech, when protestors called out Nancy Pelosi's war record at the National Conference on Media Reform; when protestors challenged candidates at this year's Netroots Nation conference.

There's absolutely no reason for BLM activists to protest GOP candidates because 1)they as a party support the status quo and 2)don't give a fuck about you if you aren't a rich, white male or a fetus. White progressive need to be called out for falling below the benchmark and if it makes people uncomfortable, then so be it. Just as progressives need to be called out for being sexists, racists, classists, etc. Aligning yourself with a more liberal p.o.v. doesn't mean you can't be an asshole. /rant

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I'm not nearly enough educated in this stuff, but from what I gathered I think the "black lives matter" should be told to black people primarily, because it is the black on black violence that's killing most black people in US. While the police killings are horrible and disgusting and something I'll never understand, that's just drop in the water in comparison stuff like gang or drug violence.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Jesus take the wheel.

edit: Actually they do care.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Or is that not the case orestes? You have really nice high horse going for you, but for someone who is supposedly having a mature conversation here, I don't really see it tbh

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Please don't teach me what words I can and can't use
    You can use whatever words you want. I just figured I'd let you know why it's problematic. I used to use it too, until I saw how it hurt the people in my life with disabled family members. Carry on!

Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    "Why aren't you protesting someone else who is worse?" was a question asked Occupy protestors challenged "progressive" Democratic politicians, when CODEPINK interrupted a Michelle Obama speech, when protestors called out Nancy Pelosi's war record at the National Conference on Media Reform; when protestors challenged candidates at this year's Netroots Nation conference.

There's absolutely no reason for BLM activists to protest GOP candidates because 1)they as a party support the status quo and 2)don't give a fuck about you if you aren't a rich, white male or a fetus. White progressive need to be called out for falling below the benchmark and if it makes people uncomfortable, then so be it. Just as progressives need to be called out for being sexists, racists, classists, etc. Aligning yourself with a more liberal p.o.v. doesn't mean you can't be an asshole. /rant
    I know I've been watching how Sander's has handled this stuff carefully. I think he could have done better, but at least he was silent this time.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Or is that not the case orestes? You have really nice high horse going for you, but for someone who is supposedly having a mature conversation here, I don't really see it tbh
    No, it is not the case and if you'd spent more than a few seconds doing a google search, you would see that you are statistically wrong.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    This article talks about ethnicity of perpetrators and victims, the conclusion is that about 90% of black people are killed by another black person. This statistic shows the total numbers, which are about 2 200 for year 2013. That's pretty significant if you ask me. And note that that only shows cases where there is single offender and single victim and obviously only cases that were resolved, the real number will be quite a bit higher. Also hinting that every police killing/shooting was straight up murder is quite demagogic
    Last edited by telee.kom; 08-09-2015 at 06:09 PM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    You can quote FBI statistics all that you want but there's more factoring in to these numbers than race; reasons that are much more complicated than a pie graph chart. Also, telling black activists who and what they should prioritize as a social movement is just tone-deaf on your part.