Page 55 of 156 FirstFirst ... 5 45 53 54 55 56 57 65 105 155 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,650 of 4661

Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    It's not new though. The pope accepted the Big Bang in 1951, in a public speech.

I do like that he is reminding people that the Bible is allegory.
    No, as Dra said, it's not new, but the church has constantly struggled with it, and Benedict muddied the waters a little.

Benedict also said, however, that Genesis wasn't intended to be a science story. But Benedict sent mixed messages. This pope is clearing things up.
    Last edited by allegro; 10-29-2014 at 05:53 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    This hurts my head so bad.
    Yeah, I'mma violating someone's personhood by having a IUD inserted in me? AARGH

Also, are you saying that Fargo is a bit more progressive than the whole of North Daktoa?
    Id say there is a definite push in the city by younger professionals, peoples to make this happen and to a degree on the whole yes is is. It seems to have gotten better in the last ten years and seems to be improving. I think that Fargo being one of the only real urban spots in the state helps in that regard. It's by no means as liberal as say the west coast but compared to the western half of the state i would thinks so. I think i heard some one once say Fargo could be considered the the spot of blue in a sea of red politically.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    Every state that has tried to pass this sort of amendment has failed. The reason? It's too intrusive and overreaching. If someone has a miscarriage she could be treated like a murderer and be interrogated and questioned to see if she did anything to trigger it. Keep in mind that a miscarriage can be emotionally devastating, especially for someone who has been trying to have a child for years. This sort of law could also result in certain birth-control methods being outlawed, especially those that work by preventing a blastocyst from implanting in the uterine lining. This sort of amendment couldn't pass in Mississippi, so it doesn't look likely for North Dakota. But I would expect that clinics in Manitoba and Minnesota would see an increase in clients if this sort of stupidity passes.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    After Nebraska banned anything after 20 weeks, there was a lady who found out that her fetus would not make it. She wanted to terminate the pregnancy, and the doctors supported it, as there was next to no way for her fetus to be viable. BUT, she was like 22 weeks along, so she could not legally abort. So instead, she just had to wait for it to slowly die inside of her, and then have a D & C.

These laws are so incredibly fucked up. It's insane. the same assholes who support this type of shit are the same ones screaming SMALLER GOVERNMENT HERP DERP. It's just so gross.

I'll go try to find the article. It was a couple of years back, I think.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    After Nebraska banned anything after 20 weeks, there was a lady who found out that her fetus would not make it. She wanted to terminate the pregnancy, and the doctors supported it, as there was next to no way for her fetus to be viable. BUT, she was like 22 weeks along, so she could not legally abort. So instead, she just had to wait for it to slowly die inside of her, and then have a D & C.

These laws are so incredibly fucked up. It's insane. the same assholes who support this type of shit are the same ones screaming SMALLER GOVERNMENT HERP DERP. It's just so gross.

I'll go try to find the article. It was a couple of years back, I think.
    She COULD go to another state (or country) to get the abortion, that's totally legal. But isn't the 20th week the 2nd trimester? If so, Roe v Wade ruled that states can regulate but not prevent abortion during the 2nd trimester. So somebody has to bring the law before the SCOTUS. (States can ban abortions during the 3rd trimester per Roe v Wade.)
    Last edited by allegro; 11-04-2014 at 10:33 PM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Sad night in America, I guess for the Koch bros another day money well spent. Take note how much the Senate or House gets done. I hope the President's veto pen is full of ink.
    -Louie

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Bob Dold of the 10th District in IL is a pretty moderate Republican so he'll probably be reaching across the aisle, as he did the last time he was in the House.

Dick Durbin was just re-elected as the senior (Democrat) Senator in IL.

But it looks like Bruce Rauner may be our new (Republican) governor in Illinois (not a Tea Party guy).

I can't believe that Brownback guy is winning the governor race in Kansas again. Wtf.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-04-2014 at 11:19 PM.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Man so sad, but I blame this one on the Dem's they didn't get out front with their message, distanced themselves from the Prez and ACA. I figure the GOP and the TP will have in-fighting. GOPTP if they can come to terms will spend most of their time trying to repeal ACA and impeach the Prez while our infrastructure crumbles and jobs go back overseas. I just hope everyone remembers this day in 2 years. Also Jon Stewart not voting because you moved and didn't know where you "thing" was? Really!?!.. One of the first questions I ask when a political discussion happens is "Did you vote?" if the answer is no, then STFU, you get no say, looks like the Daily Show will be on hiatus for me for a while. Nothing will probably effect me being in Cali, but still not my 'Merica.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Cypher View Post
    Man so sad, but I blame this one on the Dem's they didn't get out front with their message, distanced themselves from the Prez and ACA. I figure the GOP and the TP will have in-fighting. GOPTP if they can come to terms will spend most of their time trying to repeal ACA and impeach the Prez while our infrastructure crumbles and jobs go back overseas. I just hope everyone remembers this day in 2 years. Also Jon Stewart not voting because you moved and didn't know where you "thing" was? Really!?!.. One of the first questions I ask when a political discussion happens is "Did you vote?" if the answer is no, then STFU, you get no say, looks like the Daily Show will be on hiatus for me for a while. Nothing will probably effect me being in Cali, but still not my 'Merica.
    The Republicans still don't have more than a 60% majority, so it's still not veto-proof. The message this is sending is not that people want Republicans, but that people are just fed up with "business as usual." (And, sadly, many Americans are just really really stupid, mostly because they're desperate because they're spending way too much money at the grocery store, or on their kids' educations, or on their upside-down mortgage.) If the Republicans don't get these Tea Party assholes in check and start to effect some real change, then all hell's gonna break loose with voters in the future. Truthfully, with the Democrats being so far to the right, the farthest to the right in, like, 50 years, there ain't a whole fucking lot of difference between Democrats and Republicans these days, anyway. ALL members of Congress are multi-millionaires by the time they leave, and they all get there by spending millions, and they're all there by becoming beholden to millions of corporate dollars. Here ya go.

Also, THIS is a REALLY interesting article.

If the Democrats think that whipping out fucking Hillary Clinton is gonna be the "answer" in 2016, that's gonna be a BIG mistake, because THAT is just more "business as usual."
    Last edited by allegro; 11-05-2014 at 09:52 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    The Republicans still don't have more than a 60% majority, so it's still not veto-proof. The message this is sending is not that people want Republicans, but that people are just fed up with "business as usual." (And, sadly, many Americans are just really really stupid, mostly because they're desperate because they're spending way too much money at the grocery store, or on their kids' educations, or on their upside-down mortgage.) If the Republicans don't get these Tea Party assholes in check and start to effect some real change, then all hell's gonna break loose with voters in the future. Truthfully, with the Democrats being so far to the right, the farthest to the right in, like, 50 years, there ain't a whole fucking lot of difference between Democrats and Republicans these days, anyway. ALL members of Congress are multi-millionaires by the time they leave, and they all get there by spending millions, and they're all there by becoming beholden to millions of corporate dollars. Here ya go.

Also, THIS is a REALLY interesting article.

If the Democrats think that whipping out fucking Hillary Clinton is gonna be the "answer" in 2016, that's gonna be a BIG mistake, because THAT is just more "business as usual."
    Before all the liberals start slitting their wrists and screaming 'veto everything' there's this: http://www.newrepublic.com/article/1...kewing-results

And of course, no surprise, The Economist and it's outside looking in POV is useful: http://www.economist.com/news/united...fiedgovtisrare

It'll be a interesting next two years. Please please please don't start the presidential campaigning tomorrow.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    TWO years? Dude, 2014 is almost over. And they already started the presidential shit a year ago. Ugh.

Governor Quinn in Illinois still hasn't conceded because he still wants "all of the votes counted." DUDE, you're over 150,000 votes behind, get over it, you lost. He didn't do a concession speech last night to all of his campaign workers, so that must have been very anti-climactic for them. AFTER THEY CALLED ME 3 TIMES A FUCKING DAY FOR 2 WEEKS.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-05-2014 at 10:38 AM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Yea, the idiot republicans who think this means an ACA repeal have no idea how the government functions. The GOP could certainly push to defund it though.

Also, Jon Stewart rebuked his "i didn't vote" shit that he got a lot of flack for and said he was making that up. The show has been pretty shitty for a while now. I'm hoping the increased republican presence will improve his show.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    And something that people need to come to terms with: The GOP has not had this many seats in the house for more than 65 years.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I just hope some of them set Ted Cruz on fire in front of the Capitol building.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    I saw a LOT of democrats trying to sell their candidates by using gender and race as their defining characteristics. (I mean, REALLY? ... THAT is your sell?) and what is going to start deflating that shitty technique is the fact that a black woman was just elected to the house last night... as a republican.
    http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/bes...ideo_referrer=

Meanwhile, the "pros" that helped in democrat campaigns like Wendy Davis are losing their shit: http://twitchy.com/2014/11/05/i-have...wn-on-twitter/
    "If you're a woman and you voted Republican, fall off of the face of the earth."
    "If you're Hispanic and you voted Republican in this election, I strongly suggest you reevaluate your life."
    etc....
    And people are surprised the dems lost. Step up your fucking game! fuck...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Loved last night, bring on more Tea Party and more Ted Cruz. Love that the unions couldn't stop Scott Walker again too.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Democrats really dropped the ball this election.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Democrats dropped the ball the last 3 elections.

It doesn't help that, like, 2/3 of voters didn't bother showing up.

Quote Originally Posted by 50 Volt Phantom View Post
    Loved last night, bring on more Tea Party and more Ted Cruz. Love that the unions couldn't stop Scott Walker again too.
    Have you BEEN in Wisconsin, lately? There are giant "WE STAND WITH SCOTT WALKER" signs about every 2 feet on every roadway and in every yard.

Seems like nobody liked his challenger. It has nothing to do with unions, at all. Wisconsin is a totally Republican state. Milwaukee and Kenosha County totally back Paul Ryan.

(p.s. -- you'd be SHOCKED to know how many high-paid union members are Republicans.)
    Last edited by allegro; 11-05-2014 at 09:54 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 11:39 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Jeb Bush might run.

Liz might stand a fighting chance against him.

Hillary won't.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Voter turnout in Minnesota was lower than expected, and it usually has some of the highest turnout in the country. But, there was not much change in the Congressional delegation. Al Franken was re-elected to the Senate very easily this time, and Mark Dayton is getting ready to start his second term as governor. However, the Minnesota House of Representatives is now under Republican control. So with Democrats in the governor's office and in control of the state Senate, and the Republicans controlling the state House, there will either be a lot of compromising, or partisan bickering and nothing being accomplished.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 11:39 AM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Name Here View Post
    California purposely left the pot question off the ballot for the mid terms because mid terms always have poor turn outs.
    So while the republicans are enjoying this minor victory....
    ....... because California really has to work to get the democratic turnout...

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Jeb Bush might run.

Liz might stand a fighting chance against him.

Hillary won't.
    Hillary is so fucking right-wing it hurts. I want to see her take the dem nomination just for the absolute goat rodeo that would unfold.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 11:40 AM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    One thing not getting much press is California's Prop 47 passing. That's the only reason I even voted.

http://reason.com/blog/2014/11/05/ca...session-of-mos
    Most nonviolent drug and property offenses are now downgraded from felony to misdemeanor. Anyone already convicted can now petition. It is going to save hundreds of millions of dollars. 65% of that goes toward mental health & substance abuse treatment, 25% to at risk kids, 10% to victims of crime.

This is pretty damn big.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    Hillary is so fucking right-wing it hurts. I want to see her take the dem nomination just for the absolute goat rodeo that would unfold.
    While I'd obviously LOVE to have a female President, she is NOT that female.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    When is the last time we had a president who wasn't mostly right wing, though?
    Last edited by Sarah K; 11-06-2014 at 10:13 AM.