Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...-and-rule.html

Hmmm... A case of double standards ???

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Indiana senator wants parody of national anthem to be illegal.

First of all, this falls directly under the guise of freedom of speech. So senator, you can just fuck off right there. Secondly, patriotism SHOULD be mocked, made fun of, picked apart and challenged. Fuck sacred cows.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Last edited by halloween; 01-11-2012 at 06:27 PM. Reason: mistype

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Political Correctness at its best

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...161402778.html

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Etta James has died.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    EU oil embargo on Iran, Iran vows to block Straight of Hormuz.
    http://rt.com/news/iran-close-strait...z-embargo-455/

I doubt Iran will actually block/ mine the straight as it's their last card and they probably don't want to play it right yet.
    BUT the EU buys 20% of Irans oil, of that 20% the top 3 buyers are Greece, Italy & Spain. Almost like they do this shit on purpose? Keep on diggin the hole.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Speaking of Iran it appears we have demoralized and killed enough Al Qaeda that Iran is the next boogie man.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...attacks-in-us/

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I'M looking forward to those $150 barrels of oil. :\

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    That's fantastic. Good for them and creativity!

(Boo on them for being prisoners though)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    California's Proposition 8 has been ruled as unconstitutional. Hope for the intelligence of humanity after all???

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    http://www.pressherald.com/news/Port...ing-butts.html

finally someone realizes that cigarette butts are unsightly filthy trash

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Whenever I smoke, I NEVER throw the butt on the ground. I always smother it out and trash it. I don't get why so many smokers are too lazy to dispose of the butts properly.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    California's Proposition 8 has been ruled as unconstitutional. Hope for the intelligence of humanity after all???
    Well, sort of. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit ruled 2-1 against Prop 8 on the narrow grounds that, first of all, marriage or an arrangement nearly functionally identical to marriage had for a time been legal for same-sex couples, and that this right cannot be removed by popular vote. Second, they ruled that the term 'marriage' is of primarily symbolic value and that the law has no 'rational basis' for prohibiting gays from that term when they've been given an arrangement like civil unions that affords most or all legal benefits available to 'marriages'. This has no real legal effects until the Supreme Court issues an opinion on the matter (it's pretty much a sure thing they'll grant cert), probably about a year from now. What the 9th Circuit's opinion *doesn't* address is the broader issue of the constitutionality of prohibiting same-sex marriage.

If the Supreme Court upholds this ruling, though, they could rule narrowly enough that it would apply only to California. However, as a number of legal commentators have been pointing out, the arguments made in the 9th Circuit majority opinion have some problems, and at this point one may very well be right to dislike this decision while still supporting the cause of same-sex marriage equality.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Senator proposes 'Every Sperm is Sacred' amendment to an already shitty anti-choice bill.

“Any action in which a man ejaculates or otherwise deposits semen anywhere but in a woman’s vagina shall be interpreted and construed as an action against an unborn child.”

LOL at 'otherwise deposits'.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    So the mail slot in my neighbour's door is out then?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1022097

"I think they have actually discovered there is a difference between men and women. And the sexual abuse report says that there has been, since 2006, a 64% increase in violent sexual assaults. Now, what did they expect? These people are in close contact..." YOU GUYS

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Senator proposes 'Every Sperm is Sacred' amendment to an already shitty anti-choice bill.

“Any action in which a man ejaculates or otherwise deposits semen anywhere but in a woman’s vagina shall be interpreted and construed as an action against an unborn child.”

LOL at 'otherwise deposits'.
    Are we to start making tissues, condoms, and bins out of dead women's vaginas?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    WTF? Man survives two months without food in his snowed in car

I didn't know you could live without food that long.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Yup. You're gonna be pretty skinny and incredibly weak because your body is absorbing fat, then muscle, but as long as he had water from the snow, and was able to stay somewhat warm, he'd be able to make it. Depending on how deep the snow was, i.e. completely covering his car, it would insulate and hold in whatever modicum of heat he had.

Now the big thing is his mental state. Obviously he had the will to hold out for as long as he could instead of just saying "Well, I had a good run!" and going to sleep forever.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    using data you've compiled about customers isn't new; it's been done forever. Hell, I was doing it in advertising (direct mail, highly-targeted mailing list) at a computer company in 1984. Sending relevant coupons or discounts to customers is more useful than random junk mail to anyone. It's just because this happened to involve a teen pregnancy that people think some weird moral boundary has been crossed.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012...6pLid%3D136896
    Iranian destroyer Shahid Qandi and its supply ship, the Kharg enter Suez canal so that I can make this joke.

Artist's rendering of the Kharg:
    Last edited by Fixer808; 02-19-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    using data you've compiled about customers isn't new; it's been done forever. Hell, I was doing it in advertising (direct mail, highly-targeted mailing list) at a computer company in 1984. Sending relevant coupons or discounts to customers is more useful than random junk mail to anyone. It's just because this happened to involve a teen pregnancy that people think some weird moral boundary has been crossed.
    yeah i'm sure this isn't new, but it's news to me. no one goes around telling me these things heh, so i know i shouldn't be surprised but it's weird reading about it so explicitly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    http://azstarnet.com/news/blogs/pueb...9bb2963f4.html

So this guy is the sheriff of Pinal county in my beloved home state of Arizona. He is also one of the biggest supporters of the xenophobic SB1070 immigration bill. Turns out he's been employing and having a relationship with a Mexican man in the country on a tourist visa which does not allow him to work or live here, and he allegedly threatened the man with deportation if he told anyone about their relationship. Hypocrite much?