Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2013.10.14 - Brooklyn, NY @ Barclay's Center

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

2013.10.14 - Brooklyn, NY @ Barclay's Center

Post only if you were there.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    That was beautiful. I felt like the band took a few songs to sort of click in, but right about after Disappointed everything just started to come together. GodDAMN -- Pino and the backing singers have just totally transformed the band.

I don't remember the exact quote, but after introducing the band, Trent had a quote about how all of this feels like a dream -- getting to play with the band, to the crowd -- and then said "before it gets too positive, let's play a song from what's probably the darkest album" (again, paraphrased) ... before launching into Even Deeper.

Also - TDTWWA. was epic. not afraid to admit I cried.

Oh, and we got "In Two."

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    great show, compared to CT they were completely into it. much more personal and everything trent said sounded completely heartfelt.

i was happy to see most of the seats filled. great great great show.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeDrug View Post
    great show, compared to CT they were completely into it. much more personal and everything trent said sounded completely heartfelt.

i was happy to see most of the seats filled. great great great show.
    I wasn't at CT, but I noticed how "into it" the band seemed and it was pretty mind-blowing.

also, I never really say it online because pointless negativity, but I'll admit that I groaned when I saw Wish on the setlist, just because it's simple and the guitars never sound as cool as they do on the album and yadda yadda. But, you know, when you're AT the concert? It's sort of the best thing ever. It just kills in a way that no bootleg ever captures.

also, the fact that we were so spoiled by Fragile songs (Somewhat Damaged, TDTWWA, TF/TW, Even Deeper) somehow makes me sadder that we didn't get ITV. alas.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    really crossing my fingers for Into the Void tomorrow in NJ. i can only imagine that sounds amazing with the new line up

side note: really happy with the lack of clapping during hurt so far (this show included)
    Last edited by TheyCallMeDrug; 10-14-2013 at 11:40 PM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Mission accomplished. I'm so also very happy to say and know that I have lived to see Even Deeper live. I also loved what was done with The Day The World Went Away too.

I also thought I heard a few people actually saying, "This song sucks!", when A Warm Place start playing though. I really hope I'm wrong though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This was worth coming all the way from Brazil. I am in complete awe. This was beautiful.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    I don't remember the exact quote, but after introducing the band, Trent had a quote about how all of this feels like a dream -- getting to play with the band, to the crowd -- and then said "before it gets too positive, let's play a song from what's probably the darkest album" (again, paraphrased) ... before launching into Even Deeper.
    Yeah, that was great! Trent said something like "This feels like a weird dream: getting to play with these guys. I'm still surprised people show up. It means the world that you're here." When he introduced the band it was kinda cute how he told the back-up singers to "step out of the shadows. You, too." Also cool how Robin probably had the loudest cheer from the audience - reminded me that he's the veteran of the band now, behind Trent of course. Also, I think he referred to The Fragile his "saddest record" (if memory serves) right before Even Deeper.

Anyway, what a show. My brother and I were pretty much dead center. We had great seats. I'm glad I stopped looking at setlists a couple weeks ago, because I was typically surprised throughout the set - the peak of that being "In Two." Whoa. I got a little choked up during the bridge. Also, the back-up singers were perfect for the first chorus (?) - the first time you hear "It's getting harder to tell the two of you apart." The transition from that into "Survivalism" was kinda brilliant. Those 2 sat really well together if you ask me.

Random thoughts

-I loved Trent's silhouette at the end of "Find My Way." Reminded of something Maynard James Keenan would do (in a good way). Trent had this great weight-shifting move during "Somewhat Damaged", too. Not sure if that's been a regular thing for this tour but I loved seeing it.

-"Black Noise" killed. Between Ilan's drum solo and the back-up singers, it was great. The back-up singers in general were awesome - my personal highlight probably being their vocals on "All Time Low."

-"1,000,000" kicked fucking ass. Made me think how crazy you must be to not like The Slip. Leave it to Nine Inch Nails to make your jaw drop with little more than white light, smoke, and an incredible live band. The lack of fancy visuals really worked in its favor.

-The visuals were of course gorgeous. "Find My Way" was probably my favorite in that department - the gradual build was really powerful. I also loved the geometry during "Disappointed" and the glitchy, HTDA-esque look for "Running" (?)

So, yeah, Tension 2013 absolutely matches Lights in the Sky if not exceeds it. Can't wait for tomorrow when I'll be in GA. Even if it's the same exact set, it'll be totally different way to experience the show.
    Last edited by Deadpool; 10-15-2013 at 01:17 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    SO, who was that amazing looking chick with blonde dreads, metal tits, and a teddy bear on her back with a gas mask on its face?

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Miley Cyrus?

Anyway, omgggggggg.

The visuals were really fucking cool. It's great to see them trying so much innovative shit and pulling it off. Loved the live capture during In Two and anything playing with multiple screens.

Also, I LOVE the addition of the backup singers. They make the songs even better.

One of the highlights for me was A Warm Place. I think that's what that was? Anyway, it was lovely. And the more quiet moment during In Two was also awesome.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Great show... everyone on the floor seemed into everything.. I didn't see too many people that weren't singing along. I was dead center in GA about a 2/3 of the way up between the sound board and stage, and then the pit opened up during "March of the Pigs" directly in front of me.. I grabbed my wife and dragged her to the front side of it to get closer to the stage.. I forgot how much energy "March of the Pigs" could still conjure up. All the new stuff sounded incredible live.. Anyone who doubted the backup singers can suck it, they were amazing. "While I'm Still Here" was the highlight for me, I love that song and as it transitioned into "Black Noise" I thought my head was going to explode.. I loved hearing "A Warm Place" in there, one of my favorite tracks. As someone mentioned above, Trent had this really cool weight shifting move that stood out during "Somewhat Damaged", it was like he was interacting with the lighting behind him.. Him and Maynard need to have a dance off for sure. I wish we coulda got that reworked version of "Sanctified" or "Into The Void", oh well, i'm still happy. And congrats to the ball of energy EDM guy who proposed to his girl right before NIN started and had me take pictures of it..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I've been to a lot of NIN shows at this point, and besides the obvious fact that this show kicked ass, like every nin show, the whole Tension set list coupled with the back up singers, and the way the band plays the songs is really worth it live more so than any other show I've been to. Black Noise was infinitely better live, anytime the backup singers started doing their thing the song was instantly taken to another level. A warm place whether or not they were doing anything couldn't see behind all the smoke, was a different and updated arrangement and production. The songs sound really updated here, this sounded fresh and the set list was really on point more so than ever before minus those club shows.

Going to NJ tonight. Really hoping for Into The Void and some Hesitation Marks changes, and praying for some high quality recordings when this is all done, because this tour has to be some of the best shows yet.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    My second and last show on this tour. Really enjoyed it. Still exhausted from last night. Had a great time in the pit all night.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    was it Terrible Lie that Trent tossed his guitar at the back of the stage?? also a 'lil reminiscent keyboard pounding... ahh.. good stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    How did the show open? I couldn't get there until "Copy of a Copy."
    Was bummed I didn't hear "Everything" from Hesitation Marks...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So happy I avoided all but one picture of the production. Exceeded my expectations and I'd say it was waaaay ahead of LITS.

Happy Closer seems to have been retired. *cough*

Hesitation Marks as a whole translates SO good live. Not sure how much the visual aspect comes into play with me thinking that but as a whole, it all worked as it was laid out. Not the biggest fan of "Find My Way" but it had it's place too. Highlights were "Disappointed", "In Two" (amazing!), and "While I'm Still Here" into "Black Noise". Surprised no one's mentioned the Satellite cam yet. THAT WAS SICK. Seemed like it took a minute to come together but once the camera guy (Rob?) started interacting with Trent it was an amazing effect. And then when he got to Ilan....woah.

Every single song complimented the next and the one before it. Even "Survivalism" which I typically can't stand. But "The Hand That Feeds" can go away as far as I'm concerned. Never been a fan of the song in any capacity and I honestly thought the visuals were VERY boring, especially when compared to all the others, and the definite low point of the show.

Lisa and Sharlotte added a level that I never thought I'd see at a NIN show. Feels so much more polished.. and in the best way possible. I thought their stand out moment was either during the bridge of "Even Deeper" when they added all those heavily delayed noises that seemed to bounce all around Barclays OR how they were the screams during the chorus of "The Wretched". There was only one part where I felt they were over-utilized but that could have just been because they were a little up in the mix at that point and I can't even remember which song so my point is moot.

Did anyone notice that they were down one light from the beginning? It looked like they took out the light that was originally over Pino after it failed during Copy of A. Can't imagine theres room to fix anything like that once the show begins.

That clapping in the middle of the floor right before NIN came on was after a proposal??? Figured it was something like that but that's awesome to hear. Congrats guy.

Last question... Is Allesandro up there alone during "A Warm Place"??? It was hard to see with all the fog, but it seemed to be him doing all the work. It was definitely way more layered and intense than when I saw them do The Downward Spiral in LA.

Other notable moments...

- Trent's hip swaying
    - Robin's solo during "The Wretched"
    - Everything Ilan does, especially the end of Piggy.
    - Trent's hip swaying
    - Speech and band intro during the encore

Oh... and if the tall guy that was standing next to me by the soundboard the whole show reads this... tell your bald film-making friend I said he's an inconsiderate prick. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    And since no one's mentioned it yet... Godspeed You! Black Emperor were great. No one around me seemed to think so but when Trent mentioned they were one of his favorite bands, they seemed to change their mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalWheeli View Post
    How did the show open? I couldn't get there until "Copy of a Copy."
    Was bummed I didn't hear "Everything" from Hesitation Marks...
    You didn't miss anything except the opening band.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Oh yeah, let's talk about Ilan. Because with all due respect to people who feel differently, I think the complaints about him drumming "less" are just bonkers... the guy goes off at just the right times and when he goes off... DAMN. He's my favorite NIN drummer. (Oh, and him playing guitar on the intro of TDTWWA just made it THAT MUCH thicker.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Was that a hacked Kinect Rob was using during Satellite?

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Great to finally meet some of you. Looking forward to Round #7 tonite. "In Two" fucking killed it AGAIN.
    Still confused as to how "Running" has been on EVERY setlist, yet "Various Methods" AND "I Would For You" have been getting shafted. Running is just plain weak in comparison.

Oh, and I agree about the camera thing. If you need to hold your camera high above your head to take video, you should've gotten a seat. That shit is just plain inconsiderate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_k_f View Post
    Was that a hacked Kinect Rob was using during Satellite?
    I think he mentioned on twitter that it was.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Which one of you was the guy with the ETS t-shirt? I kept trying to say hello, but we never got close enough.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Great show. Just wish the intolerable drug filled she beast which was moaning, screaming, and trying to claw her way through the air and onto the stage for the first hour of the show stayed home. Everything from Hesitation Marks was brilliant, especially "In Two". Thought it was funny how "Black Noise" got so intense that the audio system started cutting out. The whole band looked very happy about the show. Despite some issues with the start of the show, resulting in a Trent Reznor guitar homicide, things smoothed over and everyone by the end of the show seemed to have had a good night. Thought it was funny hearing security talk about how much better this crowd was compared to the Justin Bieber crowd from a few weeks ago. Proud to be a part of it. Hopefully tonight will be just as fantastic with just a bit less screaming ecstasy filled chupacabras.
    Shitty iPhone video of In Two:
    Last edited by ThinkIcouldburn; 10-16-2013 at 09:57 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkIcouldburn View Post
    Thought it was funny how "Black Noise" got so intense that the audio system started cutting out.
    Ok good, I wasn't imagining things. It seemed to really start distorting around Wish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Pretty sure I remember him trashing a mic, as well as a guitar. He was practically on top of me at the end of piggy. Show was awesome, aside from one person in front of me, but I'm not gonna let that fuck up the night. See ya in Jersey tonight!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant77 View Post
    Pretty sure I remember him trashing a mic, as well as a guitar. He was practically on top of me at the end of piggy. Show was awesome, aside from one person in front of me, but I'm not gonna let that fuck up the night. See ya in Jersey tonight!
    I'm pretty sure at the end of Terrible Lie he smacked the mic stand down with his guitar and then chucked the guitar towards the back of the stage.

That show was awesome. Saw them in Boston which was great, couldn't make it to CT, but this more than made up for it. 3 rows from the rail. So much energy, you could tell the band was feeling it last night.

I definitely took more notice of the background singers during last night's show. The way they're used in Even Deeper is amazing, basically recreating the noises of the violins from the original recording. Also, as boring as Pino is on stage, the dude shreds the bass. He makes it look so effortless.

I loved the fact that the guys have no problem stepping outside their comfort level and playing instruments other than their main instruments. Ilan played guitar at the beginning of The Day The World Went Away, Josh was playing sax on While I'm Still Here and percussion during Find My Way. The evolution of the band has just been incredible.

I'm not sure the last time Trent went into the crowd during Piggy, but that was amazing.

My 10th time seeing NIN, first time grabbing a setlist, and I got a pick too, but gave it away. Good karma.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ha, we were probably right next to each other. My buddy went back near the soundboard, and said the view was a bit better/sounded better. I'm probably gonna be back there tonight.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I forgot about when he jumped down for Piggy..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_k_f View Post
    was it Terrible Lie that Trent tossed his guitar at the back of the stage?? also a 'lil reminiscent keyboard pounding... ahh.. good stuff.
    Yup..chucked it. Kicked the mic stand too..I was center rail at the last 3 shows and this was the most amp'd up I've seen Trent at the beginning of a set. He was totally on his game.

..and I think this set list is going to become the standard. In Two kicks ass live..some of the most intense light effects .. brings it all together. And I wouldn't be shocked if Burn is here to stay in the slot..as well as the entire encore..because it's fucking brilliant.