Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2013.10.14 - Brooklyn, NY @ Barclay's Center

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I totally get why they have to play Hurt. And it's an awkward song to place in the set, it basically has to come at the end. But... dude, at the end of WISH/Black Noise, I was emotionally, spiritually and physically ready for the show to end. I stayed for Hurt out of respect, but the show was done for me after Black Noise. The peak they reached at the end of that song was IT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Did anyone log the setlist?? Please and thanks!

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Yeah, that's kinda how I feel after "black noise." Almost like that's the end of Tension and "hurt" is the coda for the NIN performance.

I was pleased with this set and the visuals were tight as usual, but that camera rig Rob is using for "satellite" needs some work. I like the polygons & static noise, but the facial recognition doesn't work half the time. When it does it looks kick-ass, but when it's off it's too chaotic.

Anyhow, since I got "in two" I've almost heard the entire album live which makes me happy. That said, I really want "various methods of escape" to get some more love in the set.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post
    Yeah, that's kinda how I feel after "black noise." Almost like that's the end of Tension and "hurt" is the coda for the NIN performance.

I was pleased with this set and the visuals were tight as usual, but that camera rig Rob is using for "satellite" needs some work. I like the polygons & static noise, but the facial recognition doesn't work half the time. When it does it looks kick-ass, but when it's off it's too chaotic.

Anyhow, since I got "in two" I've almost heard the entire album live which makes me happy. That said, I really want "various methods of escape" to get some more love in the set.
    aw, I'd forgotten about that song and now I'm sad I didn't get to hear it. oh well!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Actually being there reminded me just how awesome wish and hlah are live.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jd13 View Post
    Did anyone log the setlist?? Please and thanks!
    Village Voice included one in their review: http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/...e_barclays.php
    Also here: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-i...y-3c7195b.html

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    What a great show! I don't know how I got to work this morning, lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey everyone. This is my first post here, but I've been reading the boards here at ETS since around 2006 or so. I'm a musician (I use lots of synths) and I live in Brooklyn. I'm a huge NIN fan (bought The Fragile the day it came out, I was 16, I think. Moody kid in Columbus, Ohio). I've seen the band 4 times now (2005, 2006, 2009, and last night).

Was pretty excited that NIN were playing in Brooklyn, Barclays is a nice venue. I was sitting in the lower ball, section 24. Right above GA with a great view of the whole stage. I will just get down with my thoughts.

The Positive

Trent looked great with his Bernard Sumner circa 1984 haircut and he sounded and played the best I have ever seen him. He looks more fit than LITS but not as bulked up as the WT era. His voice was the best I have ever heard it and he played and sang with ferocious energy. At the end of Terrible Lie he knocked his mic stand over and threw his guitar across the stage, like he simply couldn't contain his energy anymore. He seemed really into the show and gave a really emotional performance vocally. When he was't busy singing or playing guitar/keyboards, he would do this sort of slinky weight shifting dance that looked really cool (and kind of sexy too, and I say this as a straight fellow).

Speaking of guitars, Trent seems to have gone back to playing guitar a bit more than he has been on previous shows from this tour. This was a plus for me, because I really like his rhythm guitar playing.

The band was fantastic! Definitely, in terms of pure musicianship, the best live incarnation of NIN. Robin was ferocious on the guitar, and he did quite a bit of rocking out when he played synths as well. I quite liked the weird monkey dance he was doing while playing synths on 1,000,000. His guitar was brilliant and solid for the entire show.

I was happy when TR announced that Alessandro Cortini would be returning on Synths for this tour. He is hands down the best Synth player NIN has ever had. He played his parts with aplomb, though his presence seems a bit more low key than previous tours.

Josh Eustis fits into the band really well. He was great as bassist on the Summer tour, and Tension sees him playing guitar, synths, and various other instruments. I liked the outfit he was wearing as well.

Ilan (sp) is a fantastic drummer and played with a lot of force and power.

The lady backing singers were utterly brilliant and they really shined on the Hesitation Marks songs. They also blew me away during The Wretched and Survivalism. I'd love to hear them sing the choruses to Head Like a Hole and Happiness in Slavery.

Now...for Pino Pallidino.

The man is a Bass god. This whining about how he is "creepy" and "doesn't fit" is absurd. First off, he isn't even that old (56) and his fat, massive, indelibly groovy basslines SHOOK the arena. I felt his bass rumbling the entire show, and his playing on All Time Low was sick. He brought a very heavy bass sound combined with some astounding funk and groove chops, really transformed the band. He was brilliant.

The lights and visuals were astounding and on a par with LITS, I thought.

The setlist was stellar. I love Hesitation Marks and was happy to hear 10 songs from it. For me, All Time Low, Copy of A, In Two, Satellite, and Black Noise were the best live. The Wretched Sounded the best I have ever heard it and Head Like a Hole (with Ally playing the sick synth bass line on the verses), Terrible Lie, THTF, MOTP, Wish, and even Piggy all had renewed energy and passion from the expanded band.

All in all, brilliant show, the best I have seen of NIN live, and worth the $100 ticket.

The "Negative".

Ok, nothing really negative but a few things I wished had been a bit different.

I know you guys here at ETS hate Closer, but honestly, it's one of my favorite NIN songs and there is a reason it was a massive worldwide hit. It is insidiously groovy and I love the massive layers of synths and melodies it has, not to mention the fact that it is a great dance track that pays homage to Prince, Iggy Pop, and early 80's NYC electro. I especially like how the version of Closer they played on the Summer Festival tour was more synth heavy, with Josh and Robin joining Ally on synths for the majority of the song. The best it has sounded since the TDS and Fragility tours. I missed Closer last night. I have this dream that one day NIN will play All Time Low and it will segue into Closer.

I also missed Only. Again, I know some ETS folks don't like it, but I love it and I think it is one of NIN's best singles. Keep in mind, some of my favorite bands include Public Image Limited, New Order, Talking Heads, LCD Soundsystem, and Only definitely has the influence of all of those groups. Last night Only was replaced with Burn and while I do like Burn and think it's an awesome song, especially live, I prefer Only.

We missed Into the Void with the awesome Fragile visuals. I love The Frail/The Wretched, but ITV is my favorite song from The Fragile. The Wretched sounded fucking powerful and eerie though.

But this was all made up for by

THE DAY THE WORLD WENT WAY!

Yes! Last night was the best I have ever heard it. Really powerful and perfect. Was the cherry on the Sundae that was the show, in my book.

That's my two cents!
    Last edited by ZASmusic; 10-15-2013 at 04:29 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    Which one of you was the guy with the ETS t-shirt? I kept trying to say hello, but we never got close enough.
    I was wearing my ETS shirt under my unzipped hoodie in the pit. Dunno if it's me you saw or not.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    I was wearing my ETS shirt under my unzipped hoodie in the pit. Dunno if it's me you saw or not.
    maybe? can't recall if guy had a hoodie on or not -- long hair? moshed a little during Wish?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

2013.10.14 - Brooklyn, NY @ Barclay's Center

Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    maybe? can't recall if guy had a hoodie on or not -- long hair? moshed a little during Wish?
    That was probably @cliveholloway. He's off to jersey tonight.

Anyways, so excited to get "In Two" and TDTWA on the last of my 4 shows on this tour. Only wish I had more time to hang out with ets peeps

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Re: 2013.10.14 - Brooklyn, NY @ Barclay's Center

Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustDave View Post
    That was probably @cliveholloway. He's off to jersey tonight.

Anyways, so excited to get "In Two" and TDTWA on the last of my 4 shows on this tour. Only wish I had more time to hang out with ets peeps
    Pretty sure i saw you with the guy with the ets shirt walking by dunkin donuts after the show. Wasn't sure but I was almost positive I knew your face from the boards.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Pretty sure i saw you with the guy with the ets shirt walking by dunkin donuts after the show. Wasn't sure but I was almost positive I knew your face from the boards.
    Yeah. We were out in search of food. Ended up at a shitty diner (Ocean View Diner). Service was horrid. I believe we saw "metal tits" as referenced by @GoodSoldier333 over there as well as we were walking. I believe Clive ended up back at Dunkin.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Actually being there reminded me just how awesome wish and hlah are live.
    I also forgot to mention how I loved hearing "Fist fuck!" in unison. I knew that I'd just have to hear it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Wow, I was blown away! This was only my 5th NIN show, but definitely the best-unfuckingbelievable! Was really psyched to hear "In Two" live and the pit was INSANE during "Somewhat Damaged"! Have to say, even though I really like most of the songs on Hesitation Marks, I'm not a big fan of "Running", but that song was way better live and I'll have to give it another chance. This was definitely the closest I've ever been to the stage for a NIN show and it was AWESOME-I'm pretty sore today, but well worth it! My only complaint was the whiny bitch hipster wannabe in front of me that kept complaining that I was elbowing him, when all I was doing was trying to stay standing with the push from the wave of humanity behind me! Man up dude-this is NIN, not Justin Bieber! Anyway, aside from that, this was definitely the best concert I've probably ever attended! Hoping for a second U.S. leg in 2014!

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Stereogum posted some nice pix from the show: http://www.stereogum.com/1521742/pho...42013/concert/

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustDave View Post
    Yeah. We were out in search of food. Ended up at a shitty diner (Ocean View Diner). Service was horrid. I believe we saw "metal tits" as referenced by @GoodSoldier333 over there as well as we were walking. I believe Clive ended up back at Dunkin.
    ocean view diner was just awful, and lacked any ocean atmosphere whatsoever. but it was great to see everyone for a spell!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I'm having trouble picking out highlights from the show since so much of it was really good, but here are a few:

- A Warm Place transitioning into Somewhat Damaged. I went ballistic.
    - Wish
    - probably the best rendition and performance of The Day The World Went Away that I've heard yet

Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    ocean view diner was just awful, and lacked any ocean atmosphere whatsoever. but it was great to see everyone for a spell!
    But the apple juice was tits!

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    Yeah, that was great! Trent said something like "This feels like a weird dream: getting to play with these guys. I'm still surprised people show up. It means the world that you're here." When he introduced the band it was kinda cute how he told the back-up singers to "step out of the shadows. You, too." Also cool how Robin probably had the loudest cheer from the audience - reminded me that he's the veteran of the band now, behind Trent of course. Also, I think he referred to The Fragile his "saddest record" (if memory serves) right before Even Deeper.
    I was very happy to hear him say that because it was very humble of him, and I was also delighted to see him having a sense of solace and inner peace. Oh yes, and he actually did, and I'd actually agree. There were some aspects of The Fragile that are certainly bleaker than The Downward Spiral to me. It even made me happier knowing that I lived to actually see it being performed live, right up there with A Warm Place and The Day The World Went Away.

I also loved how loud the crowd got when Trent Reznor said Robin Finck. I've figured, since he's an old friend of Trent like Danny Lohner, while giving it that extra legendary feel, considering how he performed in the Woodstock 1994 lineup.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 10-18-2013 at 09:21 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    haven't had a chance to post here since i was traveling and all. don't think i need to give a detailed review of the concert now (it was great and everyone knows it), but i have to say that the encore in this concert was AMAZING.

i was at rail for this concert, which was a first for me (actually, first time on floor at an arena concert). it was certainly an experience (a great one) but i was glad that i went to the newark show the next day to see the show from farther away. i was about 6 or so people from the center, robin side.

btw, some nice photos are here: http://www.thefader.com/2013/10/15/n...-trent-reznor/ . i'm in photo 18. let me know if there are any other galleries up anywhere.

which reminds me: for some reason, i found it really funny when the photographers were rushed out by security at the start of MOTP . . "come on, pigs! march!"

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    so im gonna put in my vote for this one being the best show of the tour (as of now) i felt it def topped the 3 i was at (ct, bk, nj)