Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The Festival Thread

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    There's nothing that separates the headliners. It's all new-alt rock with very little difference. I'm hoping The National get a headlining spot on the smaller part of the park considering they subbed in 2010 for Arcade Fire. Like you, I have a hard time believing Vampire Weekend and Phoenix can headline big festivals, considering VW are listed third at Coachella, and the new Phoenix single hasn't been lighting up the charts. Is it just a down year?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...,725418.column

Lollapalooza with some weak headliners: Mumford and Sons, Vampire Weekend, Phoenix, Postal Service, The National, and The Killers.

Not a HUGE name to knock it out of the park. I love VW and The National, I like Phoenix and Postal Service, but I don't know if this makes traveling to Chicago a possibility for me this year.
    I completely agree with you on this statement, this is incredibly weak for Lollapalooza...what's really crazy is VM already played Pitchfork last summer and tickets were half the price.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    I completely agree with you on this statement, this is incredibly weak for Lollapalooza...what's really crazy is VM already played Pitchfork last summer and tickets were half the price.
    I guess they're banking on the fact that the new album is going to be a huge hit. It made sense when they headlined Pitchfork last year which is basically half of Lolla (but with a lineup that's twice as good ironically), but man, this looks like there's going to be a shit ton of mid-tier bands on the lineup.

Other than Mumford, does it look like any of these acts can fill up the South Stage? I also wonder if the NIN rumor will come into fruition or if The Cure will be there by any chance since they're at Oshega the same weekend.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I fucking hate Mumford & Sons. It's bad folk music. This is a totally weak line-up. And Vampire Weekend? I'm sorry but what's the big fucking deal about them? I don't think they're really that great.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I guess they're banking on the fact that the new album is going to be a huge hit. It made sense when they headlined Pitchfork last year which is basically half of Lolla (but with a lineup that's twice as good ironically), but man, this looks like there's going to be a shit ton of mid-tier bands on the lineup.

Other than Mumford, does it look like any of these acts can fill up the South Stage? I also wonder if the NIN rumor will come into fruition or if The Cure will be there by any chance since they're at Oshega the same weekend.
    With 3 of Osheaga's headliners also headlining Lolla, I'm betting it's doubtful that The Cure will also headline Lolla. I can't see Perry Ferrel just trying to copy the same lineup. Also starting to be very doubtful of NIN playing, too. If they're focusing so much of popular indie headliners, NIN would obviously stick out like a very sore thumb.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    NIN's dates overseas don't make much sense just to do one show in Chicago, then gear back up to go out again. Maybe the Cure, who knows? Also, there's a lack of an EDM headliner which was something Perry was stressing the past few years. Are you going to be doing any of the Chicago fests or Kanrocksas rich?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    NIN's dates overseas don't make much sense just to do one show in Chicago, then gear back up to go out again. Maybe the Cure, who knows? Also, there's a lack of an EDM headliner which was something Perry was stressing the past few years. Are you going to be doing any of the Chicago fests or Kanrocksas rich?
    Eh, I'm not sure. I'm not really feeling the Pitchfork lineup this year all that much. I might still try for Lolla if the undercard is good or I can score these 75 dollar tickets, but Kanrocksas I'm only going to if I get accepted for a press pass. I can't bring myself to spend money on that lineup. Personally I think our Middle Of The Map fest here in a couple of weeks is a much better lineup, so I'll definitely be at that.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Eh, I'm not sure. I'm not really feeling the Pitchfork lineup this year all that much. I might still try for Lolla if the undercard is good or I can score these 75 dollar tickets, but Kanrocksas I'm only going to if I get accepted for a press pass. I can't bring myself to spend money on that lineup. Personally I think our Middle Of The Map fest here in a couple of weeks is a much better lineup, so I'll definitely be at that.
    Middle of the Map looks awesome, lots and lots of good up and coming bands. If you or Fragile_Jake find yourselves for one of South Texas' festivals, let me know. Just don't make it this one: http://rivercityrockfest.com/

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Middle of the Map looks awesome, lots and lots of good up and coming bands. If you or Fragile_Jake find yourselves for one of South Texas' festivals, let me know. Just don't make it this one: http://rivercityrockfest.com/
    HA! I see your River City Rockfest and raise you one Kansas City Rockfest!
    http://www.rockfestkc.com/home/schedule/

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Fireworks to End the Show!?

I love that band...finally...a Rockfest with a good group...wait, that's just real fireworks after the show? Son of a bitch.

Really guys. These festivals are so terrible.

I'm still contemplating Pitchfork because seeing Bjork live was one of those things I only once ever dreamed about and I've always loved Belle & Sebastian and R. Kelly as well. While the second bunch of names certainly had some acts I'd love to see (Swans, El-P, Killer Mike, Mac DeMarco and others...) it still hasn't made me NEED to get tickest immediately. Perhaps the last inital lineup will? Time will tell.

Middle of the Map always seemed like such a fun time, been to a couple venues in KC most of those bands are playing.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Alice in Chains picking up these quick paychecks. This also answers the questions of "What ever happened to Papa Roach and Disturbed?", and also serves $5 mixed drinks. SOLD!

I'm still contemplating Pitchfork because seeing Bjork live was one of those things I only once ever dreamed about and I've always loved Belle & Sebastian and R. Kelly as well. While the second bunch of names certainly had some acts I'd love to see (Swans, El-P, Killer Mike, Mac DeMarco and others...) it still hasn't made me NEED to get tickest immediately. Perhaps the last inital lineup will? Time will tell.
    I would go to any festival that has R. Kelly and Trail of Dead playing on the same day!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Alice in Chains picking up these quick paychecks. This also answers the questions of "What ever happened to Papa Roach and Disturbed?", and also serves $5 mixed drinks. SOLD!

I would go to any festival that has R. Kelly and Trail of Dead playing on the same day!
    Hahaha!

Oh yeah, Trail of the Dread is there as well!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Okay, I think I'm officially sold on Pitchfork now.

M.I.A., Lil B, Solange, Wire, Yo La Tengo, Low, Savages, Toro Y Moi, Phosphorescent, Metz, Autre Ne Veut, Mikal Cronin, Parquet Courts, Merchandise, Woods, Julia Holter, Glass Candy, Andy Stott, Pissed Jeans, Frankie Rose, Ryan Hemsworth, Waxahatchee, Blood Orange, Daughn Gibson, Evian Christ, White Lung, KEN mode, and DJ Rashad added.

THANK YOU BASED GOD.

Autre Ne Veut has released one of my favorite records this year too and YLT and Toro are great live. Plus, holy shit M.I.A.!

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Heavy MTL 2013 just announced its lineup. Not sure I'll attend this year. Last year's SOAD and Slipknot as headliners was way better.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Okay, I think I'm officially sold on Pitchfork now.

M.I.A., Lil B, Solange, Wire, Yo La Tengo, Low, Savages, Toro Y Moi, Phosphorescent, Metz, Autre Ne Veut, Mikal Cronin, Parquet Courts, Merchandise, Woods, Julia Holter, Glass Candy, Andy Stott, Pissed Jeans, Frankie Rose, Ryan Hemsworth, Waxahatchee, Blood Orange, Daughn Gibson, Evian Christ, White Lung, KEN mode, and DJ Rashad added.

THANK YOU BASED GOD.

Autre Ne Veut has released one of my favorite records this year too and YLT and Toro are great live. Plus, holy shit M.I.A.!
    Yeah, this lineup is going to be better than anything Lollapalooza puts together. Make sure you bring your own spatula to Lil B's set.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Lollapalooza is sold out BTW. Took less than 4 hours.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Yeah, this lineup is going to be better than anything Lollapalooza puts together. Make sure you bring your own spatula to Lil B's set.
    Oh I will, when I saw him last fall tons of people had their spatula's ready. It was amazing, it was a smaller club show and he invited everyone on stage during Wonton Soup. After the show he signed whatever people wanted and posed for pictures. We're Facebook friends and he apparently remembered me from our chats before and told me "Hey Jake, good to see you here...hit me up on Facebook soon." Plus, whenever my dog was diagnosed with IMHA last year and was sadly passing away, he always was on my page showing support. Besides already liking all the wacky things he does, he's also a really nice guy.

Hopefully I see you at the festival! I'm really planning on going, my friend who I went to the 2011 one with may need some more convincing but I'm gonna plan on being there for sure.
    Last edited by thefragile_jake; 03-26-2013 at 03:21 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    Lollapalooza is sold out BTW. Took less than 4 hours.
    Jesus christ. Didn't it take like well over a month for it to sell out last year? I remember in 2010, I bought my passes like, 3 months after they went on sale, and last year I bought them a couple of weeks after the lineup announcement in late april.

As much fun as I had last year and in 2010, Lollapalooza is kind of turning into the mecha for spoiled underage teenagers to come and get high and listen to DJs without giving a fuck about the music. So maybe its time for me to just let go of Lolla and invest my time in a different midwest festival.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Oh I will, when I saw him last fall tons of people had their spatula's ready. It was amazing, it was a smaller club show and he invited everyone on stage during Wonton Soup. After the show he signed whatever people wanted and posed for pictures. We're Facebook friends and he apparently remembered me from our chats before and told me "Hey Jake, good to see you here...hit me up on Facebook soon." Plus, whenever my dog was diagnosed with IMHA last year and was sadly passing away, he always was on my page showing support. Besides already liking all the wacky things he does, he's also a really nice guy.

Hopefully I see you at the festival! I'm really planning on going, my friend who I went to the 2011 one with may need some more convincing but I'm gonna plan on being there for sure.
    Right now I'm planning on it, this lineup is just stacked. I would love to finally see Belle and Sebastian.

As for Lollapalooza, that's just nuts, I'm thinking next year they'll have to move it to two weekends like they have with Coachella and Austin City Limits. I had a a blast in 2010, but it looks like the audience is changing and it's becoming (like Coachella and ACL) a festival in which it's just cool to go to and to be seen rather than listen to the music.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Jesus christ. Didn't it take like well over a month for it to sell out last year? I remember in 2010, I bought my passes like, 3 months after they went on sale, and last year I bought them a couple of weeks after the lineup announcement in late april.

As much fun as I had last year and in 2010, Lollapalooza is kind of turning into the mecha for spoiled underage teenagers to come and get high and listen to DJs without giving a fuck about the music. So maybe its time for me to just let go of Lolla and invest my time in a different midwest festival.
    A sign our economy is really rebounding. Those kids parents are opening the wallet.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    A sign our economy is really rebounding. Those kids parents are opening the wallet.
    Does this mean you're taking your kids to Stagecoach?

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

The Festival Thread

Does this mean you're taking your kids to Stagecoach?
    I used to like you.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I used to like you.
    C'mon, BAAHHSTAHN doesn't have a country music festival?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    kenny rogers on the main stage of glastonbury alongside the rolling stones

lol

just lol

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Sort of a weak undercard after that third line, right?

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    C'mon, BAAHHSTAHN doesn't have a country music festival?
    Oh yes it does. Kenny Chesney or Brad Paisley sell two nights @ Gillette every August.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Sort of a weak undercard after that third line, right?
    Thievery Corporation is pretty good live, if you like their sort of music.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenthebear View Post
    kenny rogers on the main stage of glastonbury alongside the rolling stones

lol

just lol
    textbook glastonbury schedule, they'll often put rolf harris or something on before a big band that everyone will arrive early for

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I'm pretty happy with this lineup to be honest. 2Chainz and Kendrick, QOTSA, NIN, Crystal Castles.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Thievery Corporation is pretty good live, if you like their sort of music.
    I've seen them twice at ACL, they usually play there every other year, my dad fucking loves them.

Lollapalooza looks top heavy, but they hardly have any hip hop aside from Kendrick and 2Chainz, and their EDM lineup looks worse. Also The Killers being listed before NIN is sort of a joke.
    Oh yes it does. Kenny Chesney or Brad Paisley sell two nights @ Gillette every August.
    Brad Paisley stands as one of the worst concert experiences of my entire life...and he's one of only a select few I can actually stand.