Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns N' Roses

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I actually would enjoy most of that set - although I'd get rid of November Rain and add Coma, Locomotive and Double Talking Jive from Use Your Illusion. Scrap the solos, they're session musicians for fuck's sake, I never liked the soloing from Slash. and does Axl think doing a song with Sebastian Bach adds credibility in 2012 or is LA really still an insulated bubble?

Playing a three hour show w/Axl's style of singing as well as all the running he does on stage (at 50 years old) requires breaks during the show. The solos are a neccessary evil and at least during some of them, we get songs with vocals (Tommy sings My Generation). As for Baz, he is a friend of Axl's that Axl takes on tour sometimes. I am sure Axl knows Bach isn't selling many additional tickets. Pretty cool that Brain and Finck came up and played last night.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^^fair point about Axl - I never looked at it that way

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Plus some of the solos are entertaining (see: the LA Forum gig video I posted).

Great to hear Robin returned, if only for a one-off! What song(s) did Brain play?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    http://www.torontosun.com/2012/03/21...exciting-slash
    Legendary guitarist Slash really didn’t want to talk about the April 14 induction of the classic Guns N’ Roses lineup into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame while in Toronto Wednesday, growing increasingly uncomfortable at questions about the event.

But he was willing to say, at least, it was “an honour.”

Clearly, he has mixed emotions.

“Either it hasn’t hit me yet or maybe it’s been so long since I had anything to do with Guns N’ Roses that I just don’t really get it,” the former GNR guitarist told QMI Agency on Wednesday while chatting about his second solo album, Apocalyptic Love, due May 22.

“And we’re not playing. I would imagine that they asked us to play but I know that we’re not playing.”

Still, Slash, 46, said he’s definitely attending the event in Cleveland, despite no fondness for dressing up.

“It’s a formal, I hate formals,” he said.

The guitarist also expects former GNR drummer Steven Adler, with whom he recently played with on a ballad off Adler’s new band’s upcoming album, to be there too.

“I could be positive Steven will be there. Steven wouldn’t miss it,” said Slash.

He just couldn’t speak to the attendance of the rest of the GNR classic lineup, specifically GNR lead singer Axl Rose.

“I don’t know. I would assume so but we haven’t talked about it,” he said

Slash is in Toronto for Canadian Music Week, running March 21-25, and will give an interview on Friday afternoon at the Fairmont Royal York Hotel ballroom to TV news couple John Roberts and Krya Phillips.

He’ll also perform what he’s calling the first warmup show of the year at the Phoenix on Friday night before a sold-out crowd to lead up to a May tour in the U.S. with a Canadian theatre trek expected in July.

“It’s actually a mirror of the show that we did in L.A. at the Roxy when we first started that 2010 tour,” said Slash. “As long as we’re tight you know? We had a couple of days rehearsal.”

And finally, he’s performing the Canadian national anthem at the Monster Energy Super Cross event at the Rogers Centre on Saturday night.

“I’ve done it before,” said Slash. “I did it here for a (Toronto) Blue Jays game in 2006 or ‘07. We did both (the Canadian and American national anthems) ‘cause it was the Blue Jays against Boston.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Since the minute they were announced as possible 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees, the hot topic in the world of rock has been the potential for a Guns N’ Roses reunion. In a recent interview, Slash reveals that he is sick of talking about whether it will happen or not and explains that vocalist Axl Rose hates his guts.
    The relationship, or lack thereof, between Slash and Axl Rose has always been the largest obstacle in the oft-rumored Guns N’ Roses reunion. Constant clamoring for the pair to bury the hatchet and reunite for the April 14 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony — where GN’R will be inducted — has apparently gotten under the skin of the top-hatted guitar icon.
    “This is a subject I’m dead sick of talking about,” Slash tells Rolling Stone. “Everyone has been asking me what’s going to happen, and they know as much as I do. I feel you’re totally obligated to be present and I would love to f—ing play, but it’s just something that’s not gonna happen for whatever reason.”
    The well-known bad blood between the guitarist and Axl Rose has prevented most previous reunion offers from coming to fruition, which according to Slash, hasn’t changed. “He hates my guts,” says Slash. “It’s over a lot of different stuff; I don’t even know. There’s just no communication between us. I talk to Duff and Steven, but when it comes to old Guns N’ Roses, there really isn’t anybody that makes decisions.”
    Almost all original Guns N’ Roses members have been confirmed to be attending the much-hyped ceremony — the odd man out being former guitarist Izzy Stradlin, whose intentions are unknown at this time. Whether or not he attends, the prospect of any type of reunion is looking more and more grim.
    http://loudwire.com/slash-on-relatio...hates-my-guts/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I met former GnR lead guitarist Buckethead last night:

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    which one is you?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    What the fuck, it only allows me to like fillow's post once? Is there another level where I like, donate money or something?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    As much as it pains me to bump this turd of a thread back up, I just had to post this.

Lana Del Rey seen leaving hotel with Axl Rose.

I mean come on...LOOK AT THAT PICTURE OF AXL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    THAT was unexpected. Still reeling.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Axl is looking like my girlfriend's ne'er-do-well dad these days. Ah well, get it how you live, boy. And Lana, don't let him force you to pee in a litterbox like he did with Steph Seymour.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCalx View Post
    Axl is looking like my girlfriend's ne'er-do-well dad these days. Ah well, get it how you live, boy. And Lana, don't let him force you to pee in a litterbox like he did with Steph Seymour.
    LOL. Im not a huge fan of her but they wouldn't be a good couple.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/musi...-inducted.html
    Early this morning, Pop & Hiss received a letter from Guns N' Roses co-founder Axl Rose, through his publicist, announcing his decision to not attend the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony on Saturday in Cleveland. Written under the greeting, "To The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It May Concern," Rose explained specifically why he was declining his induction into the Cleveland music institution.

The band, born in Los Angeles in 1985, was announced as an inductee in February alongside the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Beastie Boys and Donovan, among others, leading to instant speculation whether the five core members of Guns N' Roses circa "Appetite for Destruction" would appear together for the first time since 1993. Guitarist Slash officially departed the band in 1996, followed soon thereafter by other members Duff McKagen, Izzy Stradlin and Matt Sorum (original drummer Steven Adler had left a few years earlier).

Rose retained the rights to the band's name, and over the next decade devoted his time to creating the album "Chinese Democracy," touring with a revived Guns N' Roses, and defiantly dismissing any suggestion of a reunion with the original members of the band.

Since February, Rose has remained mum on his plans, even as guitarist Slash has spoken out in favor of a Rock Hall reunion -- and acknowledging Rose's antipathy. "He hates my guts," Slash told Rolling Stone in early April. "It's over a lot of different stuff; I don't even know. There's just no communication between us. I talk to Duff and Steven, but when it comes to old Guns N' Roses, there really isn't anybody that makes decisions."

In the letter below, Rose specifically criticizes comments by Adler, who speculated to Billboard magazine in 2007 that the band might reunite. Those comments were given by Adler while promoting his own Adler's Appetite tour, which was timed to support his book, "My Appetite for Destruction." "I want to finish what we started," Adler told Billboard then (parentheses and elipses theirs), "and ... with the love and support I got from those guys, I think we can (reunite). I'm gonna leave it up to Axl. That's gonna be Axl's call, and I love Axl and I know he'll make the right call." Below, Rose calls Adler's comments "reunion lies." Continuing attempts to reach Adler have not been successful.

During a December 2011 sit-down interview with Rose after a Guns N' Roses concert in Seattle, the singer had yet to decide his plans, but was uninterested in making a scene at the induction ceremony if he did decide to attend. "I think about it in terms of Marlon Brando getting up at the Academy Awards and talking about Indians ... or when Michael Moore got up at the Academy Awards and said whatever about George Bush. People don’t want that associated with their awards shows, even if you have a big audience. In one way it might be right, but it usually backfires on whoever does it. So I really don’t want to spoil it for everybody else -- and take the beating."

Notably, Rose then laughed and cursed Jann Wenner, the founder, publisher and executive editor of Rolling Stone magazine -- who also co-founded the Hall of Fame in 1983.

Rose's open letter is printed in its entirety below.

To: The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It May Concern,

When the nominations for the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame were first announced I had mixed emotions but, in an effort to be positive, wanting to make the most of things for the fans and with their enthusiasm, I was honored, excited and hoped that somehow this would be a good thing. Of course I realized as things stood, if Guns N' Roses were to be inducted it'd be somewhat of a complicated or awkward situation.

Since then we've listened to fans, talked with members of the board of the Hall Of Fame, communicated with and read various public comments and jabs from former members of Guns N' Roses, had discussions with the president of the Hall Of Fame, read various press (some legit, some contrived) and read other artists' comments weighing in publicly on Guns and the Hall with their thoughts.

Under the circumstances I feel we've been polite, courteous, and open to an amicable solution in our efforts to work something out. Taking into consideration the history of Guns N' Roses, those who plan to attend along with those the Hall for reasons of their own, have chosen to include in "our" induction (that for the record are decisions I don't agree with, support or feel the Hall has any right to make), and how (albeit no easy task) those involved with the Hall have handled things... no offense meant to anyone but the Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony doesn't appear to be somewhere I'm actually wanted or respected.

For the record, I would not begrudge anyone from Guns their accomplishments or recognition for such. Neither I or anyone in my camp has made any requests or demands of the Hall Of Fame. It's their show not mine.

That said, I won't be attending The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Induction 2012 Ceremony and I respectfully decline my induction as a member of Guns N' Roses to the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.

I strongly request that I not be inducted in absentia and please know that no one is authorized nor may anyone be permitted to accept any induction for me or speak on my behalf. Neither former members, label representatives nor the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame should imply whether directly, indirectly or by omission that I am included in any purported induction of "Guns N' Roses".

This decision is personal. This letter is to help clarify things from my and my camp's perspective. Neither is meant to offend, attack or condemn. Though unfortunately I'm sure there will be those who take offense (God knows how long I'll have to contend with the fallout), I certainly don't intend to disappoint anyone, especially the fans, with this decision. Since the announcement of the nomination we've actively sought out a solution to what, with all things considered, appears to be a no win, at least for me, "damned if I do, damned if I don't" scenario all the way around.

In regard to a reunion of any kind of either the Appetite or Illusion lineups, I've publicly made myself more than clear. Nothing's changed.

The only reason, at this point, under the circumstances, in my opinion whether under the guise of "for the fans" or whatever justification of the moment, for anyone to continue to ask, suggest or demand a reunion are misguided attempts to distract from our efforts with our current lineup of myself, Dizzy Reed, Tommy Stinson, Frank Ferrer, Richard Fortus, Chris Pitman, Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal and DJ Ashba.

Izzy came out with us a few times back in '06 and I invited him to join us at our LA Forum show last year. Steven was at our show at the Hard Rock, later in '06 in Las Vegas, where I invited him to our after-party and was rewarded with his subsequent interviews filled with reunion lies. Lesson learned. Duff joined us in 2010 and again in '11 along with his band, Loaded, opening in Seattle and Vancouver. For me, with the exception of Izzy or Duff joining us on stage if they were so inclined somewhere in the future for a song or two, that's enough.

There's a seemingly endless amount of revisionism and fantasies out there for the sake of self-promotion and business opportunities masking the actual realities. Until every single one of those generating from or originating with the earlier lineups has been brought out in the light, there isn't room to consider a conversation let alone a reunion.

Maybe if it were you it'd be different. Maybe you'd do it for this reason or that. Peace, whatever. I love our band now. We're there for each other when the going get's rough. We love our fans and work to give them every ounce of energy and heart we can.

So let sleeping dogs lie or lying dogs sleep or whatever. Time to move on. People get divorced. Life doesn't owe you your own personal happy ending especially at another's, or in this case several others', expense.

But hey if ya gotta then maybe we can get the "no show, grandstanding, publicity stunt, disrespectful, he doesn't care about the fans" crap out of the way as quickly as we can and let's move on. No one's taking the ball and going home. Don't get it twisted. For more than a decade and a half we've endured the double standards, the greed of this industry and the ever present seemingly limitless supply of wannabes and unscrupulous, irresponsible media types. Not to imply anything in this particular circumstance, but from my perspective in regard to both the Hall and a reunion, the ball's never been in our court.

In closing, regardless of this decision and as hard to believe or as ironic as it may seem, I'd like to sincerely thank the board for their nomination and their votes for Guns' induction. More importantly I'd like to thank the fans for being there over the years, making any success we've had possible and for enjoying and supporting Guns N' Roses music.

I wish the Hall a great show, congratulations to all the other artists being inducted and to our fans we look forward to seeing you on tour!!

Sincerely,

Axl Rose

P.S. RIP Armand, Long Live ABC III
    Last edited by W Axl Rose; 04-11-2012 at 04:25 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Shocking news. Next.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    It's a bold statement, actually. I can't think of anyone else who's turned down an induction.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I knew he wouldn't swallow his pride or pony up for just one night just to meet up with the old band.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    No kidding. How is any of this 'news'? Egomaniac can't let go of a grudge. In other shocking news announced today, farts stink.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    It's a bold statement, actually. I can't think of anyone else who's turned down an induction.
    You got that right. Gotta give Axl props for sticking to his GUNS.
    October Midnight, good to see ya back buddy! I knew you couldn't stay out of the Guns thread! Please give us more of your insight on Guns n Roses or at least post more pics that make Axl look fat.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Low-hanging fruit.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    How could I resist? Like Marilyn Manson, it's more of a joke than a real band anymore and hasn't been for years. When any act reaches a certain point, there will always be crowds of cougars and other older people that refuse to just move the hell along and come to the realization that the band they dug is over. It's a joke at this point. THE GUY HAS A FUCKING KFC BUCKET ON HIS HEAD. The minute that Axl Rose isn't the one of the biggest jokes in music today, I'll eat my hand. There have to be a pantload of Guns N Roses forums around. I'm going to go there, make a thread on a band that almost nobody there gives a shit about, and post solely in that one thread.

It's not trolling to say that this is uneventful, unsurprising news that will be forgotten in a few hours. It's fact.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Nvm, someone reminded me that Johnny Rotten did too.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by W Axl Rose View Post
    You got that right. Gotta give Axl props for sticking to his GUNS.
    October Midnight, good to see ya back buddy! I knew you couldn't stay out of the Guns thread! Please give us more of your insight on Guns n Roses or at least post more pics that make Axl look fat.
    Haha. Look​ fat.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    How could I resist? Like Marilyn Manson, it's more of a joke than a real band anymore and hasn't been for years. When any act reaches a certain point, there will always be crowds of cougars and other older people that refuse to just move the hell along and come to the realization that the band they dug is over. It's a joke at this point. THE GUY HAS A FUCKING KFC BUCKET ON HIS HEAD. The minute that Axl Rose isn't the one of the biggest jokes in music today, I'll eat my hand. There have to be a pantload of Guns N Roses forums around. I'm going to go there, make a thread on a band that almost nobody there gives a shit about, and post solely in that one thread.

It's not trolling to say that this is uneventful, unsurprising news that will be forgotten in a few hours. It's fact.
    Well, to be fair, the guy also posts in threads about Green Day and The Goo Goo Dolls.
    I don't mean to pile on here, but I have to agree with pretty much everything you've said... except the part about Buckethead. I used to think he was awesome (before he joined Guns and Roses).

And yes, on the topic at hand, a hall of fame isn't very rock and roll, and if I thought Axl was rejecting his induction for the same reasons Johnny Rotten did (because it's a fucking joke), then I'd give him props. It just seems like he's having a tantrum as usual though.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 04-11-2012 at 07:05 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's response:
    We are sorry he will not be able to accept his induction in person.
    You know, his response to all of this makes sense. It's one thing to have many many people pissing on the project he's devoted himself to for well over a decade, but it's another thing to have it officially pissed on by the Hall of Fame, only inducting a line-up that hasn't existed in 20-some years.

To be fair to Axl, he shouldn't be happy about this all, as he's obviously supporting his current bandmates and product. BUT... to be fair to the world of music fans, he should have named it "The New Guns N' Roses," "GN'R II," "Axl Rose's GN'R," etc. in the first place, (something Big Audio Dynamite and a few others did successfully,) and every discussion like this wouldn't matter.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    No kidding. How is any of this 'news'? Egomaniac can't let go of a grudge. In other shocking news announced today, farts stink.
    Are we going here again?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butters View Post
    You know, his response to all of this makes sense. It's one thing to have many many people pissing on the project he's devoted himself to for well over a decade, but it's another thing to have it officially pissed on by the Hall of Fame, only inducting a line-up that hasn't existed in 20-some years.
    I raised this point earlier in the thread but no-one was talking about it. Not those frenzied media hacks who only bay for a reunion whenever the subject comes up, not the HoF officials, nobody. All anyone who isn't pointing and laughing at Axl wants to talk about is the events of that era. Which leads to weirdness like this:

Quote Originally Posted by butters View Post
    ... to be fair to the world of music fans, he should have named it "The New Guns N' Roses," "GN'R II," "Axl Rose's GN'R," etc. in the first place, (something Big Audio Dynamite and a few others did successfully,) and every discussion like this wouldn't matter.
    This is absolutely bullshit. He'd still face ridicule, and essentially make a totally redundant statement (because the band as it exists will be portrayed like that anyhow, whether that is "fair" or not) while crippling his personal commitment to and continuity with the band that he started and has every right to continue.

No one who is attempting to tear Axl down a peg has been able to actually convince me why he's at fault for "destroying" the old band, for forcing anyone out of the picture, or anything of the sort. Does he make ridiculous public displays and behave like a child? Yes, frequently. But is he performing the iconic music he helped create as he sees fit with the integrity and support of the people he chooses? Yes, absolutely.

Is the HoF's induction of the band from 25 years ago, while completely ignoring the current one, a hypocritical and condescending move? You bet your ass it is. Why is it 'news'? Well, rock bands do still matter, to an admittedly dwindling and aging audience. They are an important pillar of American culture and the people supposedly curating that history are FAKERS AND COWARDS, that's still the real story here.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I don't have the time of day to defend what Axl Rose does, but botley raises several good points. Most important of which is the last one, that the HOF is a sham and a treehouse club of the critical intelligentsia that quite deliberately ignores certain acts and scoffs at the idea of any kind of input from regular joes that aren't in the industry. That acts like Guns 'N Roses and RHCP get in, and so many bands from the 60's and 70's haven't boggles my mind.

BTW, Van Morrison rejected them long before Lydon did.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    This is absolutely bullshit...
    To be clear, even though I wrote that, I agree with you - it would be weird, but so is everything he seems to do. To also be honest, I don't hate Axl and actually purchased the Chinese Democracy physical CD. I just listen to it as if it's a different band. Personally I love Slash, VR, and his current project with Myles so I can't help but see it as they've all moved on to different/other/new bands, including Axl. Just in point-of-view, certainly not in fact.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    So much of this could have been avoided if Axl just abandoned the name and went out as a solo artist. He could still go out and play the GNR material to his heart's content, just not use the name. If you listen to it as a different band, I would imagine a lot of people did. So then what's the point of keeping the name, if just to keep the record label happy? Axl Rose himself is a household name and part of that pillar of American culture botley spoke of. It's a name that would sell as many records as Chinese Democracy did, maybe more because people tend to take the chance with a solo artist and not attach much of the stigma of their old band to it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    GnR's first official band photo in 20 years!