Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns N' Roses

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'm just glad I'm not that much of a Guns N' Roses fan that I would go out and buy this collection because this removing of a track crap would just send my OCD through the roof. I'm a completist. This kinda shit would just set me off if it was from a band I love and collect.

Imagine NIN reissuing The Downward Spiral as a huge 80 track 4CD deluxe edition, but decided to remove Big Man With A Gun from it. :P

Honestly, I'd probably be more psyched for a Use Your Illusion deluxe edition boxset than Appetite For Destruction. Prefer those albums, but still I'm not that much of a fan.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I don't like the idea of removing "One in a Million" either as that is just a cop-out for the hardcore fans. It's an alright song but it's harmless compared to the shit that is being said right now by our fucking dictator. If they get rid of that, I'm guessing "Looking at Your Game Girl" by Charles Manson would be removed from The Spaghetti Incident. Hey, let's get rid of every politically incorrect song out there. This is just stupid.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I hate this revisionist history. All they had to do was include some sort of note or explanation of the song reflecting a young, ignorant Axl's experiences in the big smoke etc.

And yes, the inclusion of Used To Love Her smacks of hypocrisy especially in today's climate.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The exclusion of One in a Million, doesn't bother me. If this was being advertised as the Anniversary edition of Lies, then it might. Honestly, it isn't that great of a song anyway. I am pretty sure Slash took some minor issue with it when it was first released and with him back in the band (so to speak) there might have been some pressure to leave it off this time. Also, if you follow Axl at all on social media, you might get the impression that current day Axl is probably pretty embarrassed by that song. As far as Used to Love Her, I always took that song to be tongue in check and more of a joke than anything.
    Last edited by renton44; 05-08-2018 at 07:41 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    of course he's embarrassed... his justifications for the lyrics just dug him deeper into a hole. It's a shitty song, but hey, it's an overrated album, but it's an historically overrated album, so leave it as it was.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airbornefeline View Post
    I don't think anyone is really freaking out about "one in a million", the band just doesn't feel like putting it out in 2018. There hasn't been a huge amount of outrage or people calling for them to not release it AFAIK, they just personally don't want to do it, and I don't see anything wrong with that. I personally think it's a shitty song that detracts more from that album than it adds and honestly if I were them I'd do the same, but i don't really care either way. It's really not a problem. No one's claiming "this is going to ruin the life of many young African Americans and immigrants foreverrrrr" its just a shit song lol.

That shit song has an amazing guitar solo and the interplay between Izzy and Slash is superb.

Yeah, the lyrics are not top shelf, but the music is awesome.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    They're just bringing more attention to it than they would have had it been left alone.

Doofuses.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tremolo View Post
    That shit song has an amazing guitar solo and the interplay between Izzy and Slash is superb.

Yeah, the lyrics are not top shelf, but the music is awesome.
    To each their own lol. I guess I would agree the instrumentation is pretty good but still it's just really hard for me to separate that from the abysmal lyrics.

Just to clarify I don't think the song should be banned or anything, I mean everyone can easily go listen to it right now on any streaming service, I just think it's totally fine for the band to not want to stand behind that song today. Especially since it's just a matter of releasing it as an extra on the AFD reissue. That song not being there doesn't make that re-issue any more or less valuable IMO.

Also in regards to people talking about "used to love her" being just as politically-incorrect, lol, that was a joke song about Axl's dog dying. It's hilarious that anyone here thinks that's even remotely comparable.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    What was the deal with it anyway? I always thought it was meant to be in-character as a moron. Was it meant to be serious?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Yo guys. The song's not "banned", it's out there for decades. It just doesn't appear on a reissue of another album from the same era. Also, the album it originally appeared on was never really an album to begin with, but rather a collection of EPs and earlier songs designed to cash in on the predecessors' success and popularity.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    It's been ready to pre order at amazon some time ago, here's the link https://amzn.to/2IcN1dr

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

GN'R play "Slither."

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I saw that video today. Axl doesn't sound bad although I'd rather have him sing it than whoever is singing for STP. Axl may not sound like Weiland but at least he's singing that song that Slash and Duff put a lot of heart into.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    It's not bad but when the "here comes the water" pre-chorus lyric comes Axl's voice is so weak compared to Scott.

First time ever performance so not bad. As much as I love Weiland and VR I don't mind GNR playing their stuff since Scott is gone.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    That's actually pretty awesome

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    He butchered the chorus, but there’s potential there for a strong rendition of the song.

The show was a tranwreck on Axl’s part, again.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I saw that video today. Axl doesn't sound bad although I'd rather have him sing it than whoever is singing for STP. Axl may not sound like Weiland but at least he's singing that song that Slash and Duff put a lot of heart into.
    I saw STP at a festival last month and their new singer absolutely crushed it. He hit every single note all night (even better than prime Weiland). Would I want to hear him sing Slither? No. Does it feel cheap and dirty for STP to have a "replacement" singer? Yes.

However, Axl sounds like absolute shit here. There are certain vocalists who should just hang it up. Liam Gallagher, Manson, Axl, even Weiland before he died....these people can't sing for shit anymore.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    November Rain, circa 1986, from the new AFD reissue.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I've listened to a few songs from the AFD remaster and am impressed. I think the original AFD sounded good, but this sounds a little better, the bass is more upfront.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Because I am a fan (and a dork), I grabbed the deluxe edition MP3s and picked up the vinyl yesterday morning. Got the record home and it hasn't come off the record player yet. In my opinion it sounds incredible. I will get around to listening to the MP3s, but I have to say I am very very impressed.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    It hasn’t been discussed here, but in the last few weeks a few GNR songs have leaked: new versions of Oh My God and Silkworms. Also a short clip of (possibly) The General and quite a few remixes from Chinese Democracy (This I Love, Shackler’s Revenge, If the World). Also 2001 versions of The Blues (Street of Dreams), There Was a Time, the complete video recording of the 2001 House of Blues show in Las Vegas (with Axl, Paul Tobias, Buckethead, Robin Fucking Finck, Brain, Tommy Stinson, and Chris Pittman), and a 1993 video recording of a show in Saskatoon, Canada.

It’s all out there if you are interested, given the extremely low output of material by this band.

My favourite is the 2001 HoB show... Axl is on fucking fire there. The band is not super tight, but the energy is amazing. Definitely worth watching!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    @tremolo
    Where's a good place to find these leaks?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    @tremolo
    Where's a good place to find these leaks?
    Yeah, i'm actually surprised to find myself interested in these myself. More so the audio, less so the video.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    @Demogorgon
    Yeah, I actually always liked Oh My God, so I'm curious to hear this version.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Several demos from Chinese Democracy leaked before the album's release, and some of those demos were better than what wound up on the album. I would really like Axl to just empty the vaults from that era.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Yes, would quite like to hear these as well. I really loved Oh My God.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The recent leaks of Oh My God and Silkworms are basically versions with Bumblefoot/Frank Ferrer added to them from what I understand/hear and have read. Oh My God, sounds louder but seems to me like it is missing a groove or something. Can't put my finger on it. Not complaining about it at all because I loved the Chinese Democracy era, I am a HUGE fan of Axl so the man is like Trent to me and can't fuck up in my eyes...lol.

Interesting thing about 'Oh My God' is it has appeared as 'OMG' as an alternate on the current line up's setlist. I have to find the picture but it was listed with Slither and Shadow of Your Love.

Here it is:

https://gnrcentral.com/2018/06/05/oh...roses-setlist/
    Last edited by renton44; 06-30-2018 at 07:45 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Where can these leaks be found? They sound more interesting than the Appetite box set!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I’m away on vacation right now. I can help you guys find that stuff once I’m back. But soundcloud is the place.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    New Slash:

Meh. Same as the last two albums--some cool riffs, it sounds good, Slash wails, but Myles Kennedy is sort of the deal-breaker. He is to Slash what Tony Martin was to Black Sabbath--a good singer with little charisma. He hits all the notes but comes off as pretty generic. I actually liked Myles a lot more in Alter Bridge--he's a better fit with Tremonti.