Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns N' Roses

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I didn't mind the covers when I saw them, I actually liked WYWH and Black Hole Sun a lot. It is kinda weird they play that many though since they have so many other popular original songs they could play.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    way, way too many covers. They've added even more since last year. Yes these 3 hour shows are alot of bang for your buck, but people are there for GnR. I dunno, hearing stale, beaten to death songs like Wish You Were Here would drive me nuts.

- Live & Let Die (this is fine for obvious reasons)
    - New Rose (this is fine for obvious reasons)
    - Speak Softly Love (Godfather Theme)
    - Wichita Lineman
    - Wish You Were Here
    - Black Hole Sun (cringe)
    - Knockin' On Heavens Door (also fine)
    - The Seeker
    you could argue this is their 2nd NA cycle so they're trying to keep it fresh for everyone that came out and paid big $$$ last time.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post
    you could argue this is their 2nd NA cycle so they're trying to keep it fresh for everyone that came out and paid big $$$ last time.
    Their setlist has been pretty stale for at least 6 months.
    It's a shame, cause they have great songs that they haven't played live in ages. My guess is that the covers are easier to sing for Axl, who's been butchering pretty much every gnr song with the Mickey voice and his terrible pitch.

I wish them well as a band, but without new material I see no future for them.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I wish them well as a band, but without new material I see no future for them.
    they're grossing something like 5MM a show off ticket sales alone, they'll be ok. so I was curious and compared 2nd cycle NA to 1st cycle NA. 2nd cycle is getting about 6 more songs than 1st cycle.

1st cycle songs NOT played on 2nd cycle: Out ta Get Me, Raw Power, Sorry. the 23 other songs played in 1st cycle were also played in 2nd cycle.

The 8 new songs for the 2nd cycle: Attitude, Black Hole Sun, I Got You (I Feel Good), Madagascar, There Was a Time, Used to Love Her, Wichita Lineman, Yesterdays

I think I'm off by one but my point is a 25% fresh setlist isn't too bad when you're playing 3 fucking hours. And anyone that complains about a 33 song 3 hour setlist is a terrible person.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I do wish they would record a new album though, and strike while the iron is hot.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Saw them last night...fucking awesome show.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Anyone else kind of surprised by Axl Rose's politics?

https://mobile.twitter.com/axlrose?r...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    His puppy is cute.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Anyone else kind of surprised by Axl Rose's politics?

https://mobile.twitter.com/axlrose?r...Ctwgr%5Eauthor
    So he is sane

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    remembering the 2002 show in nampa that almost didn't happen -- axl was infamous at the time for flaking on shows last minute and the whole arena started to get antsy when 10:00 passed and still nothing. they finally got on stage and ... well ... it was okay, i suppose.

i'm totally surprised by his political stance. the whole "immigrants and faggots make no sense to me" line in "one in a million" sticks out big time. glad he's on the left (i think) now.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    they're grossing something like 5MM a show off ticket sales alone, they'll be ok. so I was curious and compared 2nd cycle NA to 1st cycle NA. 2nd cycle is getting about 6 more songs than 1st cycle.

1st cycle songs NOT played on 2nd cycle: Out ta Get Me, Raw Power, Sorry. the 23 other songs played in 1st cycle were also played in 2nd cycle.

The 8 new songs for the 2nd cycle: Attitude, Black Hole Sun, I Got You (I Feel Good), Madagascar, There Was a Time, Used to Love Her, Wichita Lineman, Yesterdays

I think I'm off by one but my point is a 25% fresh setlist isn't too bad when you're playing 3 fucking hours. And anyone that complains about a 33 song 3 hour setlist is a terrible person.
    Well, yeah, new songs were added to the setlist... 1/2 of those are covers.

I don’t care much about long shows if they crush it.

Axl is not crushing it. I hope he’s better in Europe.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    remembering the 2002 show in nampa that almost didn't happen -- axl was infamous at the time for flaking on shows last minute and the whole arena started to get antsy when 10:00 passed and still nothing. they finally got on stage and ... well ... it was okay, i suppose.

i'm totally surprised by his political stance. the whole "immigrants and faggots make no sense to me" line in "one in a million" sticks out big time. glad he's on the left (i think) now.
    The One in a Million thing is just a young redneck kid venting based on his experience at the time. If someone who is overweight does you wrong when you are that young, you’re likely to call them fat and say offensive shit, just out of frustration, it doesn’t necessarily mean you hate overweight people (remember when TR said something along those lines a fee years ago?).

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Axl was awesome last fall when he came to Boston. Looks/sounds very good for a dude in his mid 50's.

Hoping for a new album. That would be sweet.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Axl was awesome last fall when he came to Boston. Looks/sounds very good for a dude in his mid 50's.

Hoping for a new album. That would be sweet.
    I agree, the show was awesome and 3 and half hours long! We got our money's worth for sure. Axl used to do shows that would go for about 3 hours with his old band, so it is awesome to see the 're-united' band get up to that level too (can't really do 3 + hours in football stadiums due to curfew times I suppose, so maybe the switch to indoor arenas had more to do with it).

Anyway, a new record would be great to see with this current version of the band. But I am about to voice an unpopular opinion: don't bring back Izzy or any combo of Adler/Sorum. Don't misunderstand me, I love me some fn Izzy but Richard Fortus is one talented dude. I don't know about you guys but I am just about DONE with hearing Adler begging to be let back in the band. "You're too old, let go, it's over, No one listens to techno..." Anyway, I think the current band is amazingly tight and it would be cool to see what they can come up with in a studio together. Just leave the Izzy and the drummers sidelined as that would reek of nostalgia act imo.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by renton44 View Post
    I agree, the show was awesome and 3 and half hours long! We got our money's worth for sure. Axl used to do shows that would go for about 3 hours with his old band, so it is awesome to see the 're-united' band get up to that level too (can't really do 3 + hours in football stadiums due to curfew times I suppose, so maybe the switch to indoor arenas had more to do with it).

Anyway, a new record would be great to see with this current version of the band. But I am about to voice an unpopular opinion: don't bring back Izzy or any combo of Adler/Sorum. Don't misunderstand me, I love me some fn Izzy but Richard Fortus is one talented dude. I don't know about you guys but I am just about DONE with hearing Adler begging to be let back in the band. "You're too old, let go, it's over, No one listens to techno..." Anyway, I think the current band is amazingly tight and it would be cool to see what they can come up with in a studio together. Just leave the Izzy and the drummers sidelined as that would reek of nostalgia act imo.

Except this tour is a nostalgia act and this band will continue to be just that until they release new material.

I do understand that this is about having Axl and Slash playing together, and giving fans around the world the chance to see them perform live again (or for the first time to many), but they’re extending it for too long.

Without new material they’ll be just a bunch of has beens ripping of fans.

I love Izzy and his contributions to the band’s legacy, but just like Steven, he’s not needed there. I’m sure the current band is capable of making great music, the question is will it ever happen?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Without new material they’ll be just a bunch of has beens ripping of fans.
    if a 200+ minute show is ripping off fans, I wish NIN would rip us off too.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I don't really like their current live drummer. Matt Sorum was awesome. I feel the current drummer just doesn't have the right feel.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I don't really like their current live drummer. Matt Sorum was awesome. I feel the current drummer just doesn't have the right feel.
    Same here although having Steven Adler for a few songs was great to see as hearing him play made those songs feel right. He just has that sense of swing in his playing that the other drummers don't have.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Same here although having Steven Adler for a few songs was great to see as hearing him play made those songs feel right. He just has that sense of swing in his playing that the other drummers don't have.
    Yeah, their current drummer is just too rigid. Reminds me of when Rage Against The Machine's Brad Wilk played drums for The Smashing Pumpkins. His style of playing just did not gel right at all.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Adler was their best drummer. As Izzy once stated, his drumming had a push-pull quality that gave the songs on AFD their groove. That said, I'm happy with Frank and as a fan of the whole Chinese Democracy era I'm glad to see some continuity from that perioid.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Adler was their best drummer. As Izzy once stated, his drumming had a push-pull quality that gave the songs on AFD their groove. That said, I'm happy with Frank and as a fan of the whole Chinese Democracy era I'm glad to see some continuity from that perioid.
    they should get Finck and Freese out for a show.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    they should get Finck and Freese out for a show.
    It would be kind of cool for Robin to come out for "Better" if he happens to go to a show. I know Tommy attended a few shows and is on good terms with Axl. No idea about Finck. Robin was way, way better than DJ Ashba.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    It would be kind of cool for Robin to come out for "Better" if he happens to go to a show. I know Tommy attended a few shows and is on good terms with Axl. No idea about Finck. Robin was way, way better than DJ Ashba.
    DJ Ashba SUCKED!!!!!!!! He looked like Slash's bastard little brother and never really did anything to make the songs special. Robin at least provided some energy and punch to the songs when he was playing with Buckethead.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I'm imagining a NIN style Wave Goodbye show where Axl brings out Finck for "Better" and Freese for "Chinese Democracy".

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'm imagining a NIN style Wave Goodbye show where Axl brings out Finck for "Better" and Freese for "Chinese Democracy".
    Freese's work never made it to the final album. Brain re-recorded all his drum work, note-for-note and Frank did some additional work. After his time in GN'R Freese played drums for Slash's 2010 album.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Freese's work never made it to the final album. Brain re-recorded all his drum work, note-for-note and Frank did some additional work. After his time in GN'R Freese played drums for Slash's 2010 album.
    I got that, which is why Freese's appearance would be epic - "This is how CD was supposed to be played".

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I personally like Matt Sorum over Adler

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I personally like Matt Sorum over Adler
    I think he was a better fit for the UYI era and the 1990's in general.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I think he was a better fit for the UYI era and the 1990's in general.
    Yeah definitely

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    if a 200+ minute show is ripping off fans, I wish NIN would rip us off too.
    Quality vs quantity.