Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Pink Floyd

Anyone here buy the Immersion sets yet?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    DSotM immersion is amazing, but everyone is saying not to buy WYWH because the BD is faulty and is full of pops and clicks. My preorder for The Wall is already in though.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    For anyone completely confused by what we're talking about: http://www.whypinkfloyd.com

Problems with the Wish You Were Here Immersion Edition are not limited to faulty Blu-ray Discs (although last I heard, those are being recalled and replaced by the record company)... for one thing, they didn't properly synchronize the screen films, and also I heard that part of the Quad mix was edited out so it would match with the stereo/5.1 mixes.

I was totally happy with the Dark Side Immersion box set, but so far I've only plumped for the 2-disc Wish You Were Here Experience CDs and I'll probably get the SACD version too. Such is life as a Floyd nut.
    Last edited by botley; 12-01-2011 at 03:05 PM. Reason: added a link

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Been hearing that, too. A lot of packaging problems, due to not putting discs in cases (WTF?), have sprang up since the first one came out.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I kinda wish they were packaging The Wall with the film on BD at long last, my DVD is getting a bit tired

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    There's a simple answer to that. EMI doesn't own the rights to the film, Sony does (the home video rights anyway). I suspect one will be coming soon once Roger's tour is done and dusted and he gets to work on the Blu-Ray for the tour, and maybe just maybe finishes his album he's been working on now for almost 12 years.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    There's also the possibility of the album being remixed for 5.1 sometime in the future (it's won't be in next year's Immersion box).

Frankly I'm way more excited to hear additional unreleased early stuff. The best parts of the whole reissue campaign so far were the outtakes from WYWH and DSotM... I was dreaming about the "Household Objects" tracks since I was a kid and they are nothing like what I expected.
    Last edited by botley; 12-01-2011 at 04:12 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Alan Styles, the subject of "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast", passed away at 75 yesterday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    After waiting a few years for a price reduction I finally caved in and bought a like new used copy of pulse on DVD for €10. I've heard the stuff live but never viewed it because every time I saw it in store or online it was massively overpriced. I hear mixed reports on the visual quality and some fans are desperately waiting for a blu-ray. Anyone know if the footage is decent for a SD DVD?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesKKelly View Post
    After waiting a few years for a price reduction I finally caved in and bought a like new used copy of pulse on DVD for €10. I've heard the stuff live but never viewed it because every time I saw it in store or online it was massively overpriced. I hear mixed reports on the visual quality and some fans are desperately waiting for a blu-ray. Anyone know if the footage is decent for a SD DVD?
    It's good DVD footage, although musically I feel it's lacking compared to many of the other recordings out there, both bootleg and official

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    It's good DVD footage, although musically I feel it's lacking compared to many of the other recordings out there, both bootleg and official
    Cheers, at least the entirety of The Dark Side of The Moon is on there which I'm looking forward to.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesKKelly View Post
    Personally, I think it looks kind of bad, but they were only working with standard-definition source material (the concert was shot on Betamax videotape). A Blu-ray upgrade will do nothing to help that problem.

Live At Pompeii, on the other hand, was shot on film. If the director Adrian Maben finds more of the original negatives then a Blu-ray upgrade would definitely be a possibility, as discussed in this massive new article on the Wish You Were Here SACD. It also mentions that a 5.1 mix of The Wall is destined for SACD, if James Guthrie can restore the multitrack tapes.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    From Nick Mason's Facebook today

‎"Amongst the many projects James Guthrie is working on are a blu-ray version of The Wall Movie and a 5.1 Mix. Unfortunately that’s not all on his job list , and no matter how often we whip him, he doesn’t seem to be able to work any faster....And in this instance he has to work with tapes that need a lot of TLC as they have deteriorated quite badly. A 5.1 Mix is a high priority but I'm afraid it just will take quite a while to complete and we felt we really wanted to get these sets of physical records out while our audience still have equipment capable of playing these things – And while I’m still capable of talking about them rather than just dribbling...."

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The real draw of a Pulse Blu-Ray would be the audio, anyway. A mix in DTS 5.1 or even 7.1 would be quite good for it I think. And it wouldn't be the first time this happened. Dire Straits' Alchemy was released on BR a few years ago, and I think that was shot on videotape as well.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    The real draw of a Pulse Blu-Ray would be the audio, anyway. A mix in DTS 5.1 or even 7.1 would be quite good for it I think. And it wouldn't be the first time this happened. Dire Straits' Alchemy was released on BR a few years ago, and I think that was shot on videotape as well.
    The problem is that the industry knows consumers expect HD video on Blu-rays. They allude to this in the article I linked, when talking about why audiophiles haven't embraced Blu-ray as a music format. No one seems to care that any Blu-ray player has the capability to reproduce the best digital audio quality on the market (even above SACD in my opinion). The clock is running out on physical digital-based formats, too, which Nick Mason and EMI are obviously conscious of.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    A Blu-ray of Pompeii would be great if they got rid of all that animated director's cut garbage. But like James says in the article, don't hold your breath for one. Universal, not Pink Floyd, own it, so maybe something could happen a bit sooner since EMI just made a huge deal with them.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I was a casual Floyd fan up until last year. That's when I decided to sit and listen to all of their output from the 70s. I couldn't believe what I had been missing out on all these years. I was amazed at how the music made me feel as a whole and just how well done their albums were.

I've yet to listen to their albums from the 60s, 80s and 90s (except for Pulse) aside from some random tracks, but I can't imagine them living up to what they made in the 70s.

My favorites in order thus far:

The Dark Side Of The Moon/The Wall
    Wish You Were Here
    Meddle
    Animals
    Atom Heart Mother
    Obscured By Clouds
    Last edited by BRoswell; 01-19-2012 at 08:37 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I've yet to listen to their albums from the 60s, 80s and 90s (except for Pulse) aside from some random tracks, but I can't imagine them living up to what they made in the 70s.
    They don't, although some people like the Syd-era albums (I think they're charming but nowhere near as good as the 1970s era — I've never encountered another band so capable of consistently running on all cylinders for a whole decade like that).

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I think the Wall is their best album, but I like the non-70s albums better overall.

Here's how I would rank their material. I know I'm going to get a lot of hate for this...lol.

1. The Wall
    2. The Division Bell
    3. A Momentary Lapse of Reason
    4. The Piper At The Gates of Dawn
    5. Ummagumma
    6. Wish You Were Here
    7. The Final Cut
    8. Dark Side of the Moon
    9. More
    10. A Saucerful of Secrets
    11. Atom Heart Mother
    12. Meddle
    13. Obscured by Clouds
    14. Animals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    its definitely worth looking up some of the 60s and 70s bootlegs IMHO, there is a healthy pink floyd bootleg community on the internet and collectors generally convert them to high resolution FLAC from vinyl.
    One that I especially enjoy is 'Old Symphonies' which i have been playing a lot recently on my mp3 player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Dark Side of the Moon experience addition sounds much clearer and there's more depth to it than the original. The bonus disk is a bit lacking though - the live performance from 1973 isn't anything special!
    The Wish You Were Here experience addition is the opposite - didn't hear much difference between the orginal and the experience addition, but the bonus disk is great!
    Pulse is awesome, too. Just wish I had the money to spare for the immersion addition, all the artwork looks amazing.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Wish You Were Here is not just my favorite Floyd album, but my number one above all else. This was the album that single-handedly opened my eyes and ears to Roger's genius, extended pieces connected by a (in this case, highly emotional) lyrical narrative, and the musical synergy Gilmour and Wright shared instrumentally (later hearing Dark Side Of The Moon I heard that same synergy in their voices). I was 13 when I heard it, and I think that's the right time for anybody to discover their music. It was definitely grown-up music, but the part that is still a child could get so easily lost in it, if you had the patience. I'm listening to it again, and it's not hard for me to re-connect with the first time I listened to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Got the Immersion Dark Side, but haven't watched all the footage. I have the Experience WYWH, gotta find the Immersion stuff

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Anyone know if the mix of Shine on You crazy Diamond that's on Echoes is meant to reflect the original idea for it to be one track (hindered because a side of an LP is selfishly too short), or if PF just felt like smushing it together?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Anyone know if the mix of Shine on You crazy Diamond that's on Echoes is meant to reflect the original idea for it to be one track (hindered because a side of an LP is selfishly too short), or if PF just felt like smushing it together?
    selfishly too short? unrelated, but just curious as to how required audio fidelity for LPs is considered selfish!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    It was almost going to be one side of what became Wish You Were Here, along with "Raving And Drooling" and "You Gotta Be Crazy" on the flip side. Hearing the versions of those songs on the recent special edition made me glad they were re-tooled for Animals, because as they were in '74 and '75 they certainly weren't as coherent as the final product ended up being.

In answer to your question, they smushed it together I think because they wanted their cake and to eat it too, because "Echoes" is edited down 6 minutes in length and "Marooned" is only 2 minutes long (the real WTF of that particular compilation for me). Otherwise I think Echoes is perfect for people just getting into the band.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I know I'll seem like a nerd for this, but I won't ever listen to album previews, to me the album itself is what I want, and to hear a 192kbps snippet just doesn't seem worth it.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I admire your restraint.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The whole thing is 26 minutes, and probably would have been pretty easy to fit on. The idea was to bookend the album with the song, like the heartbeat that opens and ends Dark Side. This would re-occur in their next two albums, ending as it began.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Once you go above 24 minutes, you lose audio fidelity. Gilmour wanted the whole thing on one side (with "Raving & Drooling"/"You've Got to Be Crazy" on the other) and Waters successfully lobbied for the Wish You Were Here LP as we know and love it today.