Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Absolutely incredible! Even if it wasn't the whole concert, at 2h, it was amazing nonetheless.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Yeah, it was pretty good, could be a bit louder. :-) And the public in cinema was much better than for your average cinema blockbuster. I had to walk 4 km for this. :-)

I confess I did not know that song with war-zone animation... I somehow stopped following after On an Island, so this is new to me:

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    I somehow stopped following after On an Island, so this is new to me:

The whole Rattle That Lock album is amazing!

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    "In any tongue" is my favorite track from "Rattle that Lock"

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    Absolutely incredible! Even if it wasn't the whole concert, at 2h, it was amazing nonetheless.
    What songs were cut out?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Am I seeing this right- Live at Pompeii doesn't get a released on BRD until end of this month? I thought it was released already, maybe was looking at something else or just totally missed it and it's still pre-order.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Am I seeing this right- Live at Pompeii doesn't get a released on BRD until end of this month? I thought it was released already, maybe was looking at something else or just totally missed it and it's still pre-order.
    Yes, there will be an encore screening in some markets of the theatrical cut (which is missing several songs: "Faces of Stone", "The Blue", "Money", "Fat Old Sun", "Coming Back to Life", "On an Island", "Today", and "The Girl in the Yellow Dress" which is not on the standard version either) before the full Blu-ray/DVD/album version drops on the 29th. Looking forward to cranking up the complete video in 5.1 surround at home!
    Last edited by botley; 09-15-2017 at 01:06 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Between Final Cut, AMLoR and Division Bell, which one do you guys prefer?

I have tried many attempts in the past, but I can never remember what's going on, just that it's not great. I've always enjoyed High Hopes and now I have a new fascination for Sorrow since the David Gilmour Live at Pompeii screening.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    ^^
    The Final Cut is absolutely worst piece of music that was ever released by PF/DG/RW so there you go.
    Division Bell is the best of them, ultimately. AMLOR is nice too, it just became an unfortunate victim of 80s sound design/production.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I have great affection for The Final Cut. While it does disrupt the flow a little bit, adding "When the Tigers Broke Free" to the middle of the first side also made the album far stronger. Gilmour's solos are fantastic (even my least favourite, on the title track, is one that I can hum note-for-note), the drum sound is massive, and Waters' singing and lyrics are jaw-dropping.

The later albums... not so much. The Division Bell is a fun listen in 5.1 however.
    Last edited by botley; 09-18-2017 at 10:35 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    Between Final Cut, AMLoR and Division Bell, which one do you guys prefer?
    „The Final Cut by Roger Waters, performed by Pink Floyd“ of course. :-)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I think all three suffer from the same problem, which is that they are very good EPs buried in bloated full-lengths. So I can only really choose my favourite based on the strength of the 'hidden EPs,' which would probably render AMLOR the winner. I know, I know... convoluted. For the record:

The Final Cut EP that shoulda been:
    Your Possible Pasts
    One of the Few
    The Hero's Return 1&2
    The Final Cut
    Not Now John

A Momentary Lapse of Reason EP that shoulda been:
    Signs of Life
    Learning to Fly
    A New Machine 1
    Terminal Frost
    A New Machine 2
    Sorrow

The Division Bell EP that shoulda been:
    Cluster One
    Keep Talking
    Marooned
    High Hopes

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    I think all three suffer from the same problem, which is that they are very good EPs buried in bloated full-lengths. So I can only really choose my favourite based on the strength of the 'hidden EPs,' which would probably render AMLOR the winner. I know, I know... convoluted. For the record:

The Final Cut EP that shoulda been:
    Your Possible Pasts
    One of the Few
    The Hero's Return 1&2
    The Final Cut
    Not Now John

A Momentary Lapse of Reason EP that shoulda been:
    Signs of Life
    Learning to Fly
    A New Machine 1
    Terminal Frost
    A New Machine 2
    Sorrow

The Division Bell EP that shoulda been:
    Cluster One
    Keep Talking
    Marooned
    High Hopes
    This.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Final Cut is definitely the best of the three. Probably among the most depressing albums I've ever heard, but I quite enjoy it.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Out today

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Does anyone know if Roger's shows are all-seaters or not?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Surprise tour debut on the last night of the North American run in Vancouver:

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebek View Post
    Final Cut is definitely the best of the three. Probably among the most depressing albums I've ever heard, but I quite enjoy it.
    When The Tigers Broke Free fucks me up hard ('even if it's only in the re-released version and was included for The Wall)

Same for "Your Possible Pasts though"

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    This is amazing; it took me several tries to get that video to load but... wow! Too bad they didn't find this in time to restore the whole thing for The Early Years: Devi/ation​.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Got The Wall on vinyl and it sounds perfection in my ears... Any other LPs I should get from them?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scribnation View Post
    Got The Wall on vinyl and it sounds perfection in my ears... Any other LPs I should get from them?
    Yes! The remastered Animals vinyl sounds incredible.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I bought Dark Side about a year or so ago and didn't listen to it much at first. A few months ago, I really got into the band suddenly and really want to own the records. Probably gonna pick a few vinyl of the really seminal, early work. I haven't dived into anything past the 70s tbh. Not trying to be close minded... I'm just intimidated by how much music they have.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    It sounds like the band wants to do something with the new footage. Would be cool if they put together a special edition of Atom Heart Mother and included the full performance on a Blu/DVD. I've got to think there is some interest in making a new 5.1 mix (if they haven't already) out of the quad mix.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scribnation View Post
    meddle: just for fearless & echoes. dark side: because it is dark side. i would also recommend the flaming lips redo of dark side. quite good. i love wish you were here (probably the first floyd record i got) but my absolute favorite is animals. lyrically its stunning & the band is playing really well. i thought the animals material was the highlight of the current roger waters tour.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Start with the 70's stuff then go through the early years and when you're a superfan do the post-Wall stuff. Wish You Were Here, Animals, Meddle and Dark Side of the Moon are essential. I would say go ahead and listen to Piper at the Gates of Dawn also to hear their origin. Helps to see how far they progressed as a band.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Delicate Sound of Thunder has just been remastered and reissued on 180g vinyl. I wonder if they'll finally get their hands to upgrade the video version to from VHS/LD to DVD...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Still waiting for a re-issue of Pulse. I'd buy that in a hearbeat (no pun intended)

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Delicate Sound of Thunder has just been remastered and reissued on 180g vinyl. I wonder if they'll finally get their hands to upgrade the video version to from VHS/LD to DVD...
    Oh thank god. That's always been my favorite live album of their's but it has always been sooooooooo fucking quiet.