Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    It's probably not. The 'ambient' pre-show soundscape stuff that came with the PULSE audio cassette was atrociously bad.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The wiki page for the album, paraphrasing from Nick Mason's book, said there were 15 songs completed and they obviously did away with the remaining 4. Those four songs, along with some jams that they had leftover from the sessions would have been The Big Spliff. I'd wager that all that is still languishing in the vaults, none of it making on Gilmour's last album. "Smile" was the first song written for what became On An Island in the early 2000's.

Here's the track botley is referring to, which it seems to work only as pre-concert noise.

Last edited by onthewall2983; 05-22-2014 at 09:53 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    http://shop.pinkfloyd.com/browse-by-...1-mix-dvd.html

Not Blu-ray but at least there's a stand-alone edition featuring the surround mix.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Apropos of nothing, but that "Marooned" video is so beautiful and sad.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Gilmour's wife just tweeted that an album of material from 1994 will come out in October. The Endless River is described by her as "Rick Wright's swansong and very beautiful". I'd normally wait until such an announcement is made more official, but considering the source I figured I'd post it anyway.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Gilmour's wife just tweeted that an album of material from 1994 will come out in October. The Endless River is described by her as "Rick Wright's swansong and very beautiful". I'd normally wait until such an announcement is made more official, but considering the source I figured I'd post it anyway.
    Thanks for the info. I am not sure how it will sound but hope it isn't just 20 minutes of soundscapes

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    It's the Big Spliff stuff, with more recent additions from Gilmour and Mason. There was a picture put up on Samson's Twitter months ago of David leading some female vocalists through some recording and one of them confirmed that it would be for this project, not Gilmour's next solo album. I read in a link that has since vanished the reason the news is trickling out now is because of a leak to the press, and that a formal announcement will be made as early as Monday.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 07-05-2014 at 07:19 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    If that is coming out, would Roger contribute some bass or something just to make it a true Floyd album?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    If that is coming out, would Roger contribute some bass or something just to make it a true Floyd album?
    I imagine not since the album wasn't started with his involvement. Would be cool if they did though.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    No Roger Waters on it, and sorry lads, don't expect a tour either.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Here's the big question: Who the hell is gonna do the artwork since Storm Thorgerson passed away? Are they just gonna recycle some artwork of his?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    No, it'll likely be from Aubrey Powell (co-founded Hipgnosis with Storm, and the director of the "Marooned" video) who has just as long an association with Floyd as Storm did.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    From brain-damage.co.uk

UPDATE, 6th July: In today's The Sun on Sunday UK newspaper, under the tagline of 'Pigs Fly Again', is a report on the new album. Whilst none of their information is confirmed, and seems to come from an unnamed "source close to the project", there are some interesting updates. Included in the report they note that David and Nick have been working on this in the studio over the past six months, and that the material (sitting in a vault in London's Abbey Road Studios) has "been a joy for [them] to rediscover". They also make the point that Roger Waters is not involved in the project - a question we've had from a number of you. A spokesman for the band also stresses that there will be no accompanying live tour, although these last two points won't come as a surprise to many of you.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I wonder if they even asked Roger if he wanted in? Doesn't seem right to not at least ask since him and David were on good terms, and I'm sure he'd want to be involved with something that's suppose to be somewhat of a tribute to Rick.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    My guess would be that both of them felt since Roger wasn't part of it to start with it wouldn't feel right to crowbar him into something like that.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    From the band's official website and Facebook

Pink Floyd can confirm that they are releasing a new album "The Endless River" in October 2014. It is an album of mainly ambient and instrumental music based on the 1993/4 Division Bell sessions which feature David Gilmour, Nick Mason and Richard Wright. The album is produced by David Gilmour with Phil Manzanera, Youth and recording engineer Andy Jackson. Work is still in progress, but more details to come at the end of the Summer.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    If it's at least half as good as High Hopes, Wearing the Inside Out and Sorrow, then I'll be fucking happy. Pink Floyd without Roger Waters may get flack, but those songs were worth all the mediocre ones.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    http://shop.pinkfloyd.com/browse-by-...1-mix-dvd.html

Not Blu-ray but at least there's a stand-alone edition featuring the surround mix.
    This says blu ray with 5.1 mix. http://shop.pinkfloyd.com/browse-by-...rsary-box.html

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Hopefully it has dubstep on it.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I know, but for awhile there was just a DVD with the surround mix for sale on their website but that appears not to be the case now.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    If it's at least half as good as High Hopes, Wearing the Inside Out and Sorrow, then I'll be fucking happy. Pink Floyd without Roger Waters may get flack, but those songs were worth all the mediocre ones.
    The previous two (going to have to get used to not saying "the last two") get a lot more play than either The Final Cut or The Wall do with me. But The Division Bell is a classic for me now. I've gathered recently that there's been some critical rumblings and re-assessment of it, when it was hammered by the critics (something I suspect will happen again with the new record too).

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Because why not...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Can someone explain to me why aren't there Immersion/Super Deluxe/whatever editions of any Pink Floyd album besides the holy trinity (you know which ones I mean)? (Although there's sorta one for Piper, a rare exception). I bet there's lots of live/demo/unreleased stuff from pretty much any album to fill at least one bonus CD.
    Is this purely a marketing decision? Or an artistic one? How come Bowie sells his stuff (like self-titled Deluxe, or 5-album-10-cd 1995-2003 box set) and Pink Floyd can't?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    It's probably a marketing decision. Dark Side, The Wall, and Wish You Were Here are the ones that are going to sell the most, so therefore it makes sense to load them up with bonus items.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    There was one in the works for Meddle but the record company balked. I do know from interviews that James Guthrie is working on things like a surround-sound edition of The Wall but it's been painstakingly long because the multi-tracks are difficult to deal with. Also something to take into account is that Floyd's relationship with labels have changed somewhat since they at first reverted back to EMI, which was then sold to Universal, and then they were put under the Parlophone label which itself was acquired by Warner Brothers. So I can see why editions of the other albums will possibly take awhile. But being a Floyd fan you get used to things taking a long time to come out.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    They are sitting on a lot of old material, which as recently as 1992 Gilmour vigorously denied was worthy of any official release. We'll see about that.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    A "Meddle" experience edition would be great, and would love to see a "Obscured by clouds" experience ed, also