Page 2 of 483 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: Professional Wrestling

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I felt nostalgic and went to my shelf of 2003 PPV DVDs and damn, I wish wrestling was as good as it was then. That was the last year it was very top notch. After Royal Rumble 2004 it's been going downhill ever since.

Watching them made me relive good moments when I was a younger fan, including:

Unmasking and subsequent Rampages of Kane and Bischoff, RVD, JR, Linda and Shane Saga
    Stone Cold Steve Austin Co-GM Shenanigans
    GOLDBERG
    The Rock during the earlier part of the year
    Brock Lesnar
    Vince vs Hulk Hogan
    Good PPV Cards and promos
    Wrestlemania XIX
    La Resistance
    Test, Scott Steiner and Stacy Keibler garbage
    Stephanie McMahon
    John Cena when he was actually cool/good/heel

and most importantly,

Evolution (fuck yeah!)
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 03-09-2012 at 02:21 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I watched the history of Starrcade last night and man, it was more fun to be a pro wrestling fan back then. The cage matches were much more brutal. The actual wrestling was more fun to watch. Today's wrestling... wait... sports entertainment sucks!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I watched the history of Starrcade last night and man, it was more fun to be a pro wrestling fan back then. The cage matches were much more brutal. The actual wrestling was more fun to watch. Today's wrestling... wait... sports entertainment sucks!
    I remember that WCW had a triple steel cage match before. One cage ontop of the other ontop of the other. That was awesome.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I remember that WCW had a triple steel cage match before. One cage ontop of the other ontop of the other. That was awesome.
    They did that on a 2000 PPV for a triple threat between DDP, Jeff Jarrett, and.... why? David Arquette. Great idea but the overall match sucked. Not to mention that it featured a sick bump from Chris Kanyon that made people uncomfortable since the show was at the same venue where Owen Hart died a year ago.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Turns out I won't be going. Meh.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    It's been confirmed. A Divas tag-match between Eve & Beth Phoenix vs. Kelly Kelly & Maria Menounos of <i>Extra</i> and <i>Dancing with the Stars</i>?

Oh boy.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Perfect opportunity for 50,000-odd males to take a piss break.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Perfect opportunity for 50,000-odd males to take a piss break.
    Unless there's a wardrobe malfunction. Hopefully from Maria Menounos!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I hate the occasional odd match ups of Divas thrown into Wrestlemania events that hold no true meaning. The only ones worth anything were the Women's Championship at XIX and the Evening Gown match at XX.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Did they seriously just drop some F bombs on each other there? Good stuff. I don't normally care for Cena, but he's been working his ass off, building up this match. I'm excited for Sunday. Whole ppv will be good (mostly), but it's easily going to be overshadowed by this one match.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    The matches I want to see are Rock/Cena, Punk/Jericho, and Hell in a Cell. The rest I really don't care for.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Main two I could really care less about are the divas and the GM stuff. Personally, I'd be fine if they both disappeared.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Ill be at wrestlemania

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Ill be at wrestlemania
    Oddly for the first time since XIX I do too. HHH vs Taker at Hell in a Cell will be the show stopper. Hopefully dipshit will lose to the Rock as well.

I'm a Kane fan so Kane and Orton would be a fun watch, though I'm sure Kane would lose...like always.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Dude if you want meet up and have a few beers let me know.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Think Cena is going to win... Rock is probably "passing the torch". Match will be nothing short of amazing. And for first time in years, Cena doesn't annoy me. He probably will again after WM though. Taker/Triple H will certainly be a huge one, also.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Seems like most people are using this as a nostalgia thread, and I'm hardly one to break the mould. I watched wrestling religiously in between '97 and 2000, when I was occupying that odd part of adolescence wherein one tries to figure out if one is gay, straight, or miscellaneous. Turns out I'm mostly straight, but wrestling offered lots of hot men and hot women wearing barely anything at all to help me decide which sorts of bodies got me all revved up. I'm amazed by how many storylines I remember from those days, and how much attitude I jacked wholesale from it. I still channel a lot of Shawn Michaels' swag when I'm trying to act awesome and impressive.

Also, who could forget:

DX dressed as the Nation of Domination, featuring Trips as "The Crock"?
    The god-awful Katy Vick thing?
    Mike Tyson ref'ing Wrestlemania 14?
    The Montreal Screwjob?
    Terri Runnels, Stacy Kiebler, Sable, Torrie Wilson, Trish Stratus, etc.?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Ah... those were the good ol' days. The Attitude Era. A period that will never be replicated. Plus, who would've thought that Mick Foley's This is Your Life segment for the Rock would have an 8.0 rating at that time. These days, WWE can only have a 3.0 rating these days.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I will never forget the rock asking,

"Do you like...pancakes?"

One of my favorite Rock moments was when he was heel and he went into the "if you smell what the Rock is cooking" the crowd went along with him. He stopped in the middle yelling," woah, woah, this isnt sing along with the Rock!"

funny shit.

I think what the wwe needs is a good writer and talent that can back up the written material. CM punk is good at it, and he has a great future in it. Its just hard to to keep people interested when the amount of wrestlers people want to see is three. I still watch because I have been into this since the 80's. and TNA is just god awful.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I didn't care much for the Attitude era, a lot of it was too raunchy for my tastes. Or at least when it comes to pro wrestling at least. Call me sensitive, but I was worried (even as a teenager myself then) about how that kind of stuff (particularly the homophobic, sexist, racist and parts of it all) was affecting the behaviors of young children at the time. And the bottom line for me is that it was WWE stealing ECW's act wholesale. And it gave Vince Russo his legacy. That alone is unforgivable.

However, I can't deny it did produce a lot of high points in the company's history. Great matches, hot crowds and just really good television at times. Austin and Rock were absolutely the right people at the right time and deserved every bit of the spots they maintained during that time. The Austin/McMahon feud was a truly epic angle, and Rock always put asses in seats with promos and almost always delivered on that promise.

The benefit of hindsight has allowed me to see it in both lights, but I'm sad that WCW ended up being the major casualty of the Monday Night War. For all the mind-blowingly dumb decisions and money-marking that went on there, their role in what I consider to be the third golden age of wrestling cannot be over-emphasized. Nitro threw down the gauntlet and was the fly in the ointment WWE needed in the mid-90's to get competitive again. The Mexican and Japanese talent, the NWO, and Goldberg all heightened the company to a level that would probably be sustained to this day, if not for the aforementioned reasons for it's eventual demise.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I think what the wwe needs is a good writer and talent that can back up the written material. CM punk is good at it, and he has a great future in it. Its just hard to to keep people interested when the amount of wrestlers people want to see is three.
    I think what would be more important is allowing the wrestlers (and please WWE, they are wrestlers - it sounds like marketing bullshit every time someone says "superstars") the freedom to come up with their own speeches and contribute suggestions to their own storylines - a "bulletpoint" writing style. This was how people got over in WWE during the attitude era, and resulted in moments like the heel Rock's crowd interruption that you mentioned. Their current methods aren't working - events are still driven by wrestlers who were at their peak over a decade ago.

But WWE has to have absolute control over everything, and at this point I think this is a permanently ingrained corporate culture. When Vince is no longer in charge, the company will be run by notorious control freak Kevin Dunn, perennial yes-man Johnny Ace, and the Levesques (of whom Stephanie has been heading up the god-awful creative since WWE's monopoly and subsequent downturn, and Triple H is still a bit of a question mark in my opinion).
    As far as I'm concerned, the best thing that could happen to wrestling is another WCW-style scenario in which a filthy rich wrestling enthusiast (and one who has a clue, no effence Dixie Carter...) launches a truly competitive product. This should become increasingly likely as the generation who grew up on the monday night wars and ECW come of age. While we can pick apart the myriad individual problems afflicting WWE, what it all boils down to is the complacency that arises from essentially running a monopoly.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I didn't care much for the Attitude era, a lot of it was too raunchy for my tastes. Or at least when it comes to pro wrestling at least. Call me sensitive, but I was worried (even as a teenager myself then) about how that kind of stuff (particularly the homophobic, sexist, racist and parts of it all) was affecting the behaviors of young children at the time. And the bottom line for me is that it was WWE stealing ECW's act wholesale. And it gave Vince Russo his legacy. That alone is unforgivable.

However, I can't deny it did produce a lot of high points in the company's history. Great matches, hot crowds and just really good television at times. Austin and Rock were absolutely the right people at the right time and deserved every bit of the spots they maintained during that time. The Austin/McMahon feud was a truly epic angle, and Rock always put asses in seats with promos and almost always delivered on that promise.

The benefit of hindsight has allowed me to see it in both lights, but I'm sad that WCW ended up being the major casualty of the Monday Night War. For all the mind-blowingly dumb decisions and money-marking that went on there, their role in what I consider to be the third golden age of wrestling cannot be over-emphasized. Nitro threw down the gauntlet and was the fly in the ointment WWE needed in the mid-90's to get competitive again. The Mexican and Japanese talent, the NWO, and Goldberg all heightened the company to a level that would probably be sustained to this day, if not for the aforementioned reasons for it's eventual demise.
    Couldn't agree more. I remember the Attitude era fondly, but it produced, on average, more misses than hits, and it gave rise to a lot of awful programming decisions, chief among them allowing the whole McMahon family to take up hours and hours of precious screen time. I haven't watched WWE product in years, so I have no idea if they've become better about that or not, but Vince's cheap suits, his kiss-my-ass club, and his charisma black hole of a son were all big factors in my decision to tune out. The racism, sexism, and homophobia were even bigger turnoffs in retrospect, but not quite as apparent to me when I was twelve years old.

Do you remember watching WCW in its last ten months or so, when it was apparent that they'd lost the plot completely? Terrible, fascinating stuff. I can't believe, in retrospect, that some of that was even allowed on the air. Some day, some scholar is going to get access to all those tapes and write a mind-bending media studies thesis.
    Last edited by BlueCalx; 03-29-2012 at 07:07 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I will never forget the rock asking,

"Do you like...pancakes?"

One of my favorite Rock moments was when he was heel and he went into the "if you smell what the Rock is cooking" the crowd went along with him. He stopped in the middle yelling," woah, woah, this isnt sing along with the Rock!"

funny shit.

I think what the wwe needs is a good writer and talent that can back up the written material. CM punk is good at it, and he has a great future in it. Its just hard to to keep people interested when the amount of wrestlers people want to see is three. I still watch because I have been into this since the 80's. and TNA is just god awful.
    They have PLENTY of talent. Some, I think, they have absolutely zero clue on what to do with them. So they don't "get over", and eventually head over to TNA. I think they're fools for letting Kennedy/Anderson leave. The guy was a monster on the mic. I can think of many other more wasted talents. And while they release the promising ones, they still continue to market Cena, who looks marketable, but isn't over with the fans.

What made the attitude era so much better was the fact that they weren't afraid to take chances. Some of it worked, some didn't, and some was either ridiculous or too much. But they threw out their self-limitations, and for the most part, succeeded from it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Reminder, tonight is the last night you can purchase both nights of Ring Of Honor's iPPV for $20

The Kevin Steen/El Generico Last Man Standing match on night 1 should be worth the price of admission alone.

Ring of Honor is offering 2 live shows called: Showdown in the Sun from the famous War Memorial Auditorium in Ft Lauderdale FL. The shows will be offered on Friday, March 30 and Saturday, March 31. Enjoy both shows for 1 low price.

Night 1 - 8 PM EST

ROH World Championship Triple Threat Match
    ROH World Champion Davey Richards defends against "Die Hard" Eddie Edwards and Roderick Strong w/ Truth Martini

The ICON vs The PRODIGY
    Lance Storm vs "The Prodigy" Mike Bennett w/ Maria Kanellis

ROH World TV Championship Match
    World TV Champion Jay Lethal defends against Kyle O'Reilly

LA REVANCHA!!
    "Wrestling's Worst Nightmare" Kevin Steen vs El Generico

Dual Duel Night #1
    The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) vs The All Night Express (Rhett Titus & Kenny King)

Proving Ground Match
    ROH World Tag Team Champions Jay & Mark Briscoe vs TMDK (Mikey Nicholls & Shane Haste)

Tag Team Rematch
    Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team (Charlie Haas & Shelton Benjamin) vs Caprice Coleman & Cedric Alexander

Night 2 - 1 PM EST

Blind Destiny - One of these matches will be for the ROH World Championship

ROH World TV Champion Jay Lethal vs Roderick Strong w/ Truth Martini
    "Die Hard" Eddie Edwards vs "Wrestling's Worst Nightmare" Kevin Steen
    Current ROH World Champion Davey Richards vs "Unbreakable" Michael Elgin

ROH World Tag Team Championship Match
    The Briscoes defend against Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team (Charlie Haas & Shelton Benjamin)

Dual Duel Night #2
    The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) vs The All Night Express (Rhett Titus & Kenny King)

Former Partners Collide
    Kyle O'Reilly vs Adam Cole

Special Attraction : Chikara vs Ring of Honor
    "Technical Lightning" TJ Perkins vs Chikara's Fire Ant

Scheduled to Appear:
    - "The Dominant Male" Tommaso Ciampa w/ The Embassy Ltd.
    - Cedric Alexander & Caprice Coleman
    - "The Prodigy" Mike Bennett w/ Maria Kanellis
    - More wrestlers to be announced soon!
    http://www.gfl.tv/Events/Fight/Wrest...BOTH_DAYS/1333

And Dragon Gate USA is also running a iPPV but their's is only $1.99 (although you only get the live stream, no watching later like you get with the RoH GoFightTV stream)

Either one should compliment (or most likely be much better than) Wrestlemania

Main Event #1 – Open The United Gate Title Match
    CIMA & Ricochet defend vs. Chuck Taylor & Rich Swann

Main Event #2 – First Time Ever Dream Match
    Low Ki vs. PAC

Main Event #3
    Masaaki Mochizuki vs. Akira Tozawa

Special Challenge Match
    Masato Yoshino vs. Rich Swann

Stable Shootout Match #1 - Street Fight
    Sabu & Jon Davis vs. Arik Cannon & Pinkie Sanchez

Stable Shootout Match #2 - Fox Picks Callihan's Opponent
    Sami Callihan vs. BxB Hulk

Stable Shootout Match #3 - Callihan Picks Fox's Opponent
    AR Fox vs. Uhaa Nation
    http://www.wwnlive.com/event-dgusa-3-30-12.html
    Last edited by Sporadic; 03-29-2012 at 09:30 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    probably gonna be able to meet Jerry Lawler and DDP next weekend at this anime convention. they're gonna be at a convention that's at the same place so I guess since Kaiju Big Battel is gonna be there they decided to do some kind of crossover thing. either way, getting to meet the king and ddp is gonna be awesome!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Stone cold
    Last edited by Mafu; 03-30-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCalx View Post
    Do you remember watching WCW in its last ten months or so, when it was apparent that they'd lost the plot completely? Terrible, fascinating stuff. I can't believe, in retrospect, that some of that was even allowed on the air. Some day, some scholar is going to get access to all those tapes and write a mind-bending media studies thesis.
    I remember going to a Nitro taping in January 2001, a few months before it closed. Someone in the stands called Flair a faggot. I can't help but think the kind of Hell that person would have unleashed if they said it in Greensboro in the 80's. The only other thing memorable about that show was actually leaving it. We left during a match with Haku. Fast-forward to that Sunday, and he comes in late in that year's Royal Rumble match. Nothing of big note, but we thought it was quite funny.

The Turner networks were fully taken over by AOL Time Warner, and the big reason why they got away with running so much shoddy programming is that the company was probably not as enthusiastic about taking on a wrestling company. Rather than pulling the plug, they just let it fail on it's own accord until they had enough and sold everything off. And Ted Turner, who saved nearly everybody's jobs at Jim Crockett Promotions by buying them out, was already out the door himself.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Yeah, TW didn't hold back when it came to the subject of wrestling. They wanted it gone from the start. And the company eventually withering away until it's inevitable desmise. The product became real bland towards the end. The writing was bad, everything was bad. They ended up getting dominated by WWF. The lack of support from time warner was probably a definite factor though.
    Last edited by Piko; 03-31-2012 at 08:09 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Yeah, TW didn't hold back when it came to the subject of wrestling. They wanted it gone from the start. And the company eventually withering away until it's inevitable desmise. The product became real bland towards the end. The writing was bad, everything was bad. They ended up getting dominated by WWF. The lack of support from time warner was probably a definite factor though.
    And Eric Bischoff did try to buy it with a group of investors while ensuring a TV deal with Time Warner or Fox. Yet, when Jamie Kellner pulled the plug on WCW. Bischoff backed out because WCW wouldn't be worth anything if there was no outlet for the organization on TV. I liked WCW but started to sour on it in 1999. Then when David Arquette won the belt, that was it for me. I enjoyed watching WWE and WCW at that time. That was a fun time to be a wrestling fan.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    After the NWO, I don't think they knew where else to go. On a side-note, what time is wrestlemania? Started at 5 (cst) last year, I think. Ended up missing some of it.