Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Random Music Questions

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Why the hell does no one on Dimeadozen tag their files? It's incredibly annoying having to have unlabeled files. It also doesn't help that actually tagging them would fuck up my ability to seed them.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    Why the hell does no one on Dimeadozen tag their files? It's incredibly annoying having to have unlabeled files. It also doesn't help that actually tagging them would fuck up my ability to seed them.
    Word.

My question:

I'm looking for music videos with a narrative that is close to the lyrical material of their songs. Examples:

Any more recommendations? Weird Al and other parodies do not count.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Did any of you also ever hear how bad a band was and try it out of curiosity and then actually ended up liking the band?

I thought this would fit in here more than the Shitty Music and Controversial Music Opinions threads, but asking this question makes me feel like I'm entering both types of topics. This also made me realize that while it's good to keep an open mind and listen to differing opinions, or opinions other than your own, it's also still ultimately up to yourself to figure out what works for you and you alone. It also occurred to me that this type of topic could be easily lumped up with Guilty Pleasures.

Anyway, this was exactly what happened to me in regards to the Insane Clown Posse and Limp Bizkit. I don't really follow them now, nor am I into them like I used to be, but at the same time it just increased my curiosity as I listened to their albums over and over while checking out and collecting more albums of both bands. I wanted and analyze and dissect why and how it was bad. And looking back at it, I totally got it from the start, but I still found some things I ended up enjoying in spite of how many people told me how bad they were.

Then again, there's as many opinions as there are people, so I've already heard and read negative opinions of bands that were also adored and praised my many that even ETS would love.

It's helped me also learn how to separate what I like and what other people see, think and hear, so I'm able to like something and also still try my best to consider as to how and why one person's trash and another person's treasure and vice-versa.

It was also very humbling, since it's a constant reminder that we all might like things lots of people love, but for all the lovers, there are always inevitably haters, and at the same time, it also reminded me just how personal musical preferences/interests can sometimes be, and that pleasing everybody, yet again is always impossible.

And then, if music is really bad to somebody, it has led me realize and further accept that it is literal mental, emotional and aural torture to the max to those that hate it, like a virus that spread all across the world for those to subject to it.

But anyway, has it happened to you? As in you kept hearing how horrible a band's (Or rapper/singer.) music is, only to check it out while trying to figure out why people hate it, only to actually like it yourself?

And this was even way before I even knew of ETS or NIN, but I've always found the way opinions about music/musicians were articulated, developed, constructed as well as how they evolve, fascinating since it seems harder to explain and grasp than say reviews on movies, TV shows and video games since they're visual mediums.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 03-06-2019 at 11:31 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Is there a page like flickchart.com for music/albums?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    When are R.E.M. coming back?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I don't know if Eve6 recently joined twitter or not but they're* tearing it up.

Also when did Macklemore join the band?

Spoiler: their social media intern, more likely

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I don't know if Eve6 recently joined twitter or not but they're* tearing it up.
    Is that 40ish tweets in the last 2 hours? Someone is manic...

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I mean, some of it reads like someone hacked the account and no one's bothered enough to care.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Do artists get more money when you stream their music or purchase their online music? I know it varies with each streaming service, but what's like a general rule of thumb?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    purchase.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    1 album purchase = 10 song downloads = 1500 song streams

https://blog.musicscribe.com/2019/02...ong-term-loss/

If we use the RIAA model of 1,500 streams, with an average of 3 minutes per song, a single person would have to stream 75 hours of music to qualify as one unit sold.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    I'm thinking like - if I'm sitting in my office and want to have some background music playing, is it better for the artist that I stream their music, or listen to my downloaded stuff instead?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I'm looking for 90s albums by singers that were produced by 'club scene guys' (for lack of a better term). Think "Ray of Light" (produced by William Orbit) or "Homogenic" (Mark Bell). I love those glitchy, trance infused, trip hop-y 90s sounds!

Any recommendations?

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    I'm thinking like - if I'm sitting in my office and want to have some background music playing, is it better for the artist that I stream their music, or listen to my downloaded stuff instead?
    I guess streaming gets the artist revenue, but listening to downloaded stuff will ensure no interruptions for you.