Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Underneath It All: A Nine Inch Nails Podcast

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    just finished listening..another great episode! also that photo is sexy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Got my wish

Quote Originally Posted by ethelkarma View Post
    So excited that the next podcast will be a discussion of Tension 2013. It was an awesome tour, I wish I could see it again and again. I hope there will be an official tour video released. It totally blew me away and I can't wait to hear what you thought of it.
    Looking forward to getting my copy of Tension in the spring.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Another solid episode. Tiny constructive criticism - background music is good for transitions or when it specifically complements what you're discussing, but when the entire discussion is over a bed of music, it's a little distracting for me, personally. Either way, I'm enjoying these discussions and am really looking forward to whatever surprises await in future episodes.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguymark View Post
    Another solid episode. Tiny constructive criticism - background music is good for transitions or when it specifically complements what you're discussing, but when the entire discussion is over a bed of music, it's a little distracting for me, personally. Either way, I'm enjoying these discussions and am really looking forward to whatever surprises await in future episodes.
    i've found when editing that it's actually more distracting when there's an absence of music after the music has already been established. for example, during some of our album review episodes, the discussion of a song goes on longer than the song itself, and then we're plunged into a gap, and that sounds way more off-putting to me than having the music in there...but that's just me. however, if enough people (and my podcast cohorts) tell me that having constant music is beginning to be truly detrimental, i will definitely work on scaling it back to accommodate everyone's preferences.

god damn, that was wordy. this is why i'm the editor and not a regular co-host.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This latest episode was actually the first time I thought the background music/vocals were just slightly loud -- not overpowering, but maybe competing with your voices just a bit too much. Perhaps a happy middle-ground could be to use instrumental tracks when discussion is happening (unless you happen to be talking about songs/albums, in which case those should probably complement the discussion). Seems like there is a healthy amount of content to pull from for awhile, esp. considering the YZ and TS instrumentals are technically available.

In either case, I think you've all done a wonderful job with the podcast so far -- keep up the great work! It's been an absolute joy to listen to during the workday.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    With the end of the current NIN tour, go listen to our latest episode about Tension 2013 at www.underneathitall.org.

It is also available on iTunes, please rate/review!

Episode Seven will be available "soon", it will be an interview that relates to TDS

Thanks for supporting us and we hope to have many more exciting episodes coming your way in 2014.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Episode 7 - Cargo in the Blood: An Interview with Russell Mills is now available!!!

Russell Mills discusses his career, influences, along with his past and current work with Nine Inch Nails on Underneath It All.

Listen or download for free from www.underneathitall.org or iTunes.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Just listened to the new episode. Great interview! My only gripe is that it was too short

Also very cool to hear about the Cargo in the Blood art compilation. Would love to get my hands on one of these (sounded like there will be 2500, based on what he said about the giant canvas piece).

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Up vote on reddit!

Rate or review the podcast on iTunes.

We also love hearing feedback on www.underneathitall.org

Thank you for the support!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    just listened, great interview!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow fantastic work! Its great what you all have been able to put together with this podcast.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Just recorded the first part of the TDS review with a special guest Ryan from RITC. Hope to have it up by this weekend!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Episode 8 - Nothing Can Stop Us Now is available!!!
    The cast is joined by special guest Ryan Jonik of Reflecting in the Chrome (a site archiving live NIN recordings from the past 20 years). The discussion includes an outpouring of NIN news, RITC and the first five tracks off The Downward Spiral.

Also, visit www.reflectinginthechrome.com for all your NIN live listening needs.
    Last edited by OSLIN; 03-03-2014 at 11:20 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OSLIN View Post
    Episode 8 - Nothing Can Stop Us Now is available!!!
    The cast are joined by special guest Ryan Jonik of Reflecting in the Chrome (a site archiving live NIN recordings from the past 20 years). The discussion includes an outpouring of NIN news, RITC and the first five tracks off The Downward Spiral.

Also, visit www.reflectinginthechrome.com for all your NIN live listening needs.
    Thanks - really enjoying these discussions.

One suggestion though - 209MB for a 90min podcast is a bit much especially if downloading or streaming away from a wifi network. Most podcasts have a bitrate of < 128kbps which is more than enough quality for spoken word.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barkhammer View Post
    Thanks - really enjoying these discussions.

One suggestion though - 209MB for a 90min podcast is a bit much especially if downloading or streaming away from a wifi network. Most podcasts have a bitrate of < 128kbps which is more than enough quality for spoken word.
    i totally understand what you mean...

i would be willing to go down to 160kbps (right now i'm doing 320kbps), but we also have music in there under the talking, and compressing it down to 128kbps would make not only the dialogue sound pretty bad, but the music would sound awful. i take pride in the amount of time and energy i put into editing the episodes and making them sound as good as possible, and i don't want the bitrate compression to overly affect that. but i also don't want people to be discouraged from downloading/listening to it...

also, seriously big thanks to @RITCNIN for joining in the discussion!!!

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Actually remembered to listen to this one right away! Good show, enjoyable interview

And I want to disagree with you guys on so many things on interpretations, but that's part of the fun :P

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    And I want to disagree with you guys on so many things on interpretations, but that's part of the fun :P
    I don't know what I'm talking about.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I looked into making the podcasts into a roku channel, but it costs like $100 a month. HOWEVEr, in the rare event that we can get together 20 roku users who are interested in the podcast to donate $5 a month, shiiiiit.

The podcast would reach a LOT of people. It could become THE Nin podcast. Hell, it might already be,,,i'm just checking into this

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I looked into making the podcasts into a roku channel, but it costs like $100 a month. HOWEVEr, in the rare event that we can get together 20 roku users who are interested in the podcast to donate $5 a month, shiiiiit.

The podcast would reach a LOT of people. It could become THE Nin podcast. Hell, it might already be,,,i'm just checking into this
    technically, it is THE nin podcast, as we're the only people who make one. but we didn't want to be greedy, so we called it "a nin podcast"

also, i should be editing the next episode some time in the next couple days.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    What's a roku channel?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Episode 9 - We Are Still Right Here is available now for your listening pleasure.

The crew discuss the remaining tracks on TDS and remixes from the era.

www.underneathitall.org

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    and also available on

www.fart.com

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I just listened to all the episodes in a matter of days. Very good podcast. Loved the Richard Patrick and Russell Mills, just need Rob Sheridan to complete a triple R name interview trilogy.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Thanks! Would love to interview Rob.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Interview zombie jeff ward for hallowe'en

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Hey, now...

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Hey pigs,

As some of you may know, a couple of us from this very board got together to do a little podcast dedicated to all things NIN. We have had the opportunity to review some great albums and interview some awesome guests (Richard Patrick & Russell Mills).

We will soon be interviewing Lisa Fischer, as most of you know she sang back-up for NIN during the Tension Tour. She's also sung back-up for The Rolling Stones, Tina Turner, Luther Vandross and many, many more. She's had quite a solo career too.

We thought it would be fun (interesting) to have a couple questions from the fans, so leave your question in this thread or visit www.underneathitall.org to send us a question for Miss Fischer.

Thanks for participating and listening!

Underneath It All: A Nine Inch Nails Podcast Crew @KarenLeslie @Toadflax @OSLIN @eversonpoe

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Questions: What was it like approaching material like Nine Inch Nails, which as a whole has a harsher and heavier tone than so many other projects you've worked on? Was it an easy band and headspace to slip into, or did it requiring a burning in period? Was it daunting to approach a band like NIN, which has had such a long-standing career and proven fanbase, yet never seen female backup singers as part of the lineup, or was it an exciting process to try something so new and have it received so enthusiastically?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'd like to know if she was worried about a potential negative fan reaction to introducing backup singers into Nine Inch Nails since it had never been done before. As far as I can tell, the reaction turned out to be overwhelmingly positive, but it was definitely a risky move. Has there been any talk of Lisa rejoining the band in the future? Has she ever felt like she was in over her head in rehearsals (with NIN or anyone else)?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    First- BIG thanks to Lisa Fischer! Lisa Fischer and Sharlotte Gibson added such an incredibly cool and interesting element to Nine Inch Nails. I am so glad I had the opportunity to experience their amazing talent live. Wow!

My question for Miss Fischer would be, what are her top 3 favorite NIN songs to perform live? Thanks
    Last edited by Jordan; 04-22-2014 at 11:09 PM.