Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Metal Gear Solid

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    When I last looked into this about a year ago, there was a tentative release date of dec 2012. Is that still the case?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    no idea.. its all gone quiet again.. I would guess E3 time is when (if) we hear anything new.
    Might even hear what Kojima is up to with that Fox Engine of his.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Holy shit that teaser movie sucked!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Yeah, I spoke too soon. and yes it did suck.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Now I'm scared to bother watching it. Kojima canned it for a reason. Sucks, but it's something I could've accepted. Game will probably be fun. My expectations of a story are low to virtually nonexistent at this point.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Yeeeah...I had a feeling it would be kinda diluted into some kinda hack-n-slasher without substance, but with that video...Oi. I really hope that they're not just gonna show the full version of it on the 30th. If that's the only thing they're planning on doing, I might actually be disappointed.

I could walk upstairs right now with my younger brother and make a better trailer than that on the fly with my dad's handheld camera and Windows Movie Maker.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    ...Yup. So far I'm pretty disappointed. :S I'm all for making fun hack n slash games, but this "campaign" they're pushing isn't very promising.

By the way, today they just uploaded another minute-long video.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Recently finished MGS2 HD Edition, which was my first real experience with the series (I bought a cheap copy of it for the PS2 a couple of year back, but subsequently lost it :/ ). The controls were almost impenetrable at first, but I almost got the hang of them by the end of the game. I found Big Shell a bit repetitive and had to force myself through some parts, but the crazy story stuff that happens once you leave was totally worth it. Tried out MGS3 and PEACE WALKER, both of which seem to have some interesting gameplay mechanics. Once my backlog is a big smaller I'll come back to them for sure.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Not sure if anyone here has seen or is interested in the new Uniqlo Metal Gear Solid 25th anniversary shirts. They're really cool too.
    http://www.konami.jp/kojima_pro/japa...=201203&id=222

I already bought 2 of them.

I bought:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japan-UNIQLO...3#ht_659wt_905

And my favorite one
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japan-UNIQLO...#ht_1093wt_905

Dat Gray Fox shirt <3.

I really wanted the MSX Metal Gear shirt with Snake parachuting down the shirt and climbing up the back, but with $10 shipping (from eBay seller) these 2 shirts alone cost me about $63 together.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    So, the "video data that was for some reason stored in an arm" is all decrypted and whatever. (That shit doesn't even make sense for Metal Gear.)

I REALLY want this to be a good game. I do. I'm sure it'll be a fun slasher. But this promotional thing is really disappointing, especially since they hired a bald Nicolas Cage look-alike to play Raiden. I'm definitely less hyped for a new Metal Gear game than I thought I would be. :\ Playing this is gonna feel really weird.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This might be heresy for this series, but I try not to put too much stock in the storyline of any game. For me, it's all about the gameplay and that's about it. if I want a good story I'll watch a movie. This series does make that more problematic though since like half of every game is cutscenes.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    But this is a franchise that I've always kinda relied on for an interesting story. :P Sure, MGS4 was kinda a rush job at explaining everything in one go, but building up to all of that after all the previous games was what I liked. I felt like it was the last time hanging around with a bunch of friends by the end of the game. I'm just glad that this is kind of being considered nothing more than a spin-off, and not MGS5. If this was going to be MGS5, I think I would have actually cried, haha. It'll be fun for what it is, but kinda like you said, I'm gonna try to not look too far into it, either.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 05-18-2012 at 05:10 AM. Reason: I tried to make a joke that didn't make any sense. Bed time.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^^i pretty much cut off all the cut scenes as soon as they start, I can probably read the story on wikipedia if I really wanted to. I'm pretty much just about gameplay too

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    So, the "video data that was for some reason stored in an arm" is all decrypted and whatever. (That shit doesn't even make sense for Metal Gear.)

I REALLY want this to be a good game. I do. I'm sure it'll be a fun slasher. But this promotional thing is really disappointing, especially since they hired a bald Nicolas Cage look-alike to play Raiden. I'm definitely less hyped for a new Metal Gear game than I thought I would be. :\ Playing this is gonna feel really weird.
    Wow, this is fucking terrible. It's almost as if they want to emulate Call of Duty Black Ops interrogation sequences but Konami are failing badly. This would probably be okay if it was 1994 but that's the era this kind of low budget sci-fi channel crap should stay.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Pretty much! I was expecting something better than this. Even if it were just like, a full 45 second clip from the game of Raiden standing there facing away from the camera and saying something cool. That would be SO much better than this.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    What the fuck did I just watch?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    What relevance does that have to Metal Gear, or even Reveangance? Fucking garbage!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I made my decision.

I'm not buying Rising or whatever it's called now. I'll get it through Gamefly.

Hey, Kojima!

Where's my SNATCHER remake?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I made that decision the first time I saw that Raiden was the main character.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I don't mind Raiden. I mean, he's not Gray Fox that's for damn sure. But he's alright to say the most.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    worst teaser campaign ever

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Well...

That alone looked better than any single promo video they put out recently. But I still don't know.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    The involvement of Platinum Games is the only thing keeping me (cautiously) excited about this game.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Not a bad menu screen demo.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    What they need to do is stop releasing these stupid, medicore promos and actually show us what this is about. Because so far everything they've shown just about has left a bad taste in my mouth, and i'm certainly not the only one. Who knows? It could be amazing. But the way they've made it look so far, it looks like utter garbage. Short version - They're making themselves and the game look bad. I can accept it being non-canon, but at least make some sense... If they can make an Emo Dante non-canon, they can do the same for Raiden.

And believe it or not, i've never really been much of a Raiden-hater. I had kept hearing he was more whiney than Tidus (FFX), but no, he's not nearly as bad (although I don't mind either character). He was pretty badass in MGS4 though... Hate him, or not.

But I mostly worry about the plot making zero sense what so ever to anything. If it's non-canon, and you can just cut a bunch of people up for the hell of it, whatever. But don't try to sell me some nonsense that this takes place AFTER MGS4. Anyone who's played that one knows full well how much of a gigantic contradiction that is.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Okay. The new trailer they have for this (presumably what they'll be showing at E3) looks pretty fuckin' cool. Why didn't they show clips of THIS as promotion instead? Who came up with that idea?

Edit - Here's a youtube link to the trailer itself, but I'll leave the link the pre-E3 video in case anyone wants to watch that.

http://events.konami.com/ (skip to about 15:25) There's some more info on Rising before and after that clip, though.

Also, a new Mega64 skit involving Raiden looking for employment, a few more clips from Rising, and the announcement of a demo of Rising being included with the Zone of the Enders HD Collection.

The use of "Wrong" seems a bit out of place, though. I'm not really digging it at all. But on the other hand, this DOES look like it could be a really fun hack and slasher for the MGS series. And that's really all I'm expecting from this, because I still have that gut feeling that we're not going to get anything with nearly the same substance as previous Metal Gears. But for what it is, it looks like it could be good.

Consider my faith in this game (very) cautiously restored, for now.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 06-01-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Looks like they've announced our new Metal Gear game! Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes. It'll follow Big Boss again, and it'll be open-world, too.

http://kotaku.com/5939164/konami-rev...ks-fxxking-hot

I think I'm more excited for this than Rising. I just hope we get an official trailer soon.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Assuming Kojima has a hand in it, it should be.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Assuming Kojima has a hand in it, it should be.
    It sounds like he did, to me. I mean, surely, he had to be keeping busy with something Metal Gear related lately. I don't know how much time he had to give to the MGS or ZOE HD collections, or to Rising, but considering he seemed to only supervise Rising, I'm sure this was what he was focusing on over the last several months.

I think I'm really just excited to hear that sneaking is gonna play a big role in MGS again. A hack-and-slasher MGS would be great in its own way, but stealth and subtlety defines Metal Gear. And the fact that we're playing Big Boss again is pretty neat. He's a great character.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Awesome, just awesome. MGS3 and Peace Walker were 2 of my all time favorite games. Judging by the gear Big Boss is holding, this is gonna be another cold war era game. I just cant get enough of that stuff! Im hoping they are building on foundation of Peace Walker, with its massive meta-game system of managing Outer Heaven. Anyways, im way more excited for this than Revengance. Dont get me wong, Raiden is a badass, but im not a fan of Devil May Cry style hack and slash games.