Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Video Game Music

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Video Game Music

I checked the search function and Google, but I haven't found any threads on video game music. If there is one, I suppose that this thread can just get locked accordingly. I sometimes actually like to listen to video game music as I lurk and post in ETS. I've also found Spinach Rag from Final Fantasy VI to be rather nice for forums.

And to make things little bit more interesting if possible, which video game songs would you recommend for forum browsing? And if dependent on exact moods, which ones? (Or you could just post and discuss video game music. I only added those two questions as a means to add a little more fun to this thread.)
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 09-13-2013 at 11:22 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Some of my favorite video game soundtrack tracks!

That's enough for now.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I LOVE video game music (It's actually my dream to make music for games). The SMT series always has kick ass music.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

plus mighty, mighty man

ok, I'll better stop for now

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Pause/Map screen music for Body Harvest. I really wish this game would get a remake. A sci-fi GTA? Yes please.

Shadowman title theme.

Shadowman The Sisters Awake.

Forest Temple

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    As mentioned above the Mass Effect Trilogy Soundtracks are really good and the Spliter Cell Conviction theme is also great. Here's some other soundtracks I like.

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory - Amon Tobin

Sword & Sworcery - Jim Guthrie

Max Payne 3 - HEALTH

The Binding Of Isaac - Danny Baranowsky

Sound Shapes Corporeal - Jim Guthrie
    Didn't find any good youtube videos of these tracks, but you can listen them at Jim Guthries bandcamp page
    http://jimguthrie.bandcamp.com/album/corporeal

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

And like in many other things, the nostalgia can sometimes be quite the tearjerker as it reminds me as to how much time has passed quicker than I ever thought it would. It's rather bittersweet. (Super Mario 64's Jolly Roger Bay and/or Dire Dire Docks song is one of those songs that really has that *Feels* effect on me, as it was the game that was one of the biggest moments of gaming in my childhood at ages 10-11.)

And just to get a little bit off-topic, such video game music actually reminds me of the following quotes.

There is always one moment in childhood when the door opens and lets the future in. ~Graham Green, The Power and the Glory

When you finally go back to your old hometown, you find it wasn't the old home you missed but your childhood. ~Sam Ewing

In childhood, we press our nose to the pane, looking out. In memories of childhood, we press our nose to the pane, looking in. ~Robert Brault

I think that's exactly what I'm doing whenever I listen to video game music from the mid 1980s to the late 1990s, roughly around up to most of 1998. (So it sort of is still on topic in some way. As for the quotes, I found them at The Quote Garden.)

http://www.quotegarden.com/childhood.html
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 09-19-2013 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Childhood Feels

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    SO. MANY. FUCKING. GAHDAMN. VIDEOS. SHIT.

Journey's soundtrack, conveniently (and officially) uploaded and organized into a playlist on YouTube.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Im not going to embed more youtube vids in here, but I will say this though. The following game has the best (IMO) score ever....

My favorite track has to be from :52 onward on the track "Covenant Dance", its used twice in the campaign, once when you reach the control room and again in the engine room. The keyboard hook reminds me of Assimilate and Addiction from Skinny Puppy. The first part of the track is awesome too, Elite dance music to the max (wort wort wort!!)

Other great tracks in include:
    Brothers In Arms
    Perilous Journey
    A Walk In The Woods
    A Gun Pointed At the Head of The Universe
    Under the Cover Of Night
    Rock Anthem For Saving The World (impossible not to get jacked up listening to this!)
    The Maw (goosebumps from this one for sure!)
    On A Pale Horse
    Perchance to Dream

Halo 2 also has some good themes, such as Prologue and Reclaimer (Steve Vai FTW), as does Reach and 3. But Combat Evolved (the original, not the Anniversary version) is hands down the best IMO.
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 09-14-2013 at 09:39 PM. Reason: figured out the names of the tracks

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I was wondering if those that liked A Warm Place would like the main menu music of Star Fox 64. It ranks right up there with Super Mario 64's Jolly Roger Bay/Dire Dire Docks song with me. If you talk about "nostalgiaing hard" with the Nintendo 64, this is it.

Last edited by Halo Infinity; 09-15-2013 at 11:30 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    If were going old school, some of my favorite tunes have to be...

Megaman X
    - Spark Mandrel Stage
    - ah hell the whole game
    Street Fighter 2
    - Ken's Theme
    Super Metroid
    - anything in the game, the whole thing kicks ass

Those are some of my all time faves. Still to this day I get them stuck in my head from time to time. And of course....

I wish I still had my copy, i lost it ages ago!
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 09-14-2013 at 10:14 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I figured I'd post this here and say that this makes for a really good alarm clock ringtone.

I've had that song as my alarm clock ringtone for a few years now and it still wakes my ass up lol.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post

And like in many other things, the nostalgia can sometimes be quite the tearjerker as it reminds me as to how much time has passed quicker than I ever thought it would.
    Funny thing you mention this, I was on wikipedia last night, being bored, looking up random things, I somehow found myself on the year 2020 page:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020

And to my surprise, it had listed:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time (1991): The Level "Neon Night Riders" Takes place in 2020.
    Which I found interesting, because I remember when I was a kid in 1991 playing this game, I thought "2020, holy smokes, that is soooooooo far away, I will never be alive then, look at how futuristic everything is, neon buildings and flying hovercrafts" and here we are, in 2013... only 7 years off from 2020. It's kinda frightening to think how fast time really HAS gone, as it literally seems like it was 1991 yesterday and I was reading the new Nintendo Power issue that was previewing this game coming out, I was so excited.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Never posted these in my initial post, all from same series though:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The DKC & Zelda series has so much music that holds true to those quotes above, oh man, dem feels.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Donkey Kong Country has the best music consistently of any game series in the entire history of games. I love it all!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Im not going to embed more youtube vids in here, but I will say this though. The following game has the best (IMO) score ever....

Halo Combat Evolved

My favorite track has to be from :52 onward on the track "Covenant Dance", its used twice in the campaign, once when you reach the control room and again in the engine room. The keyboard hook reminds me of Assimilate and Addiction from Skinny Puppy. The first part of the track is awesome too, Elite dance music to the max (wort wort wort!!)

Other great tracks in include:
    Brothers In Arms
    Perilous Journey
    A Walk In The Woods
    A Gun Pointed At the Head of The Universe
    Under the Cover Of Night
    Rock Anthem For Saving The World (impossible not to get jacked up listening to this!)
    The Maw (goosebumps from this one for sure!)
    On A Pale Horse
    Perchance to Dream

Halo 2 also has some good themes, such as Prologue and Reclaimer (Steve Vai FTW), as does Reach and 3. But Combat Evolved (the original, not the Anniversary version) is hands down the best IMO.
    Have you heard ? That's my favorite.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    How's about a little cake?

This is awesome:
    Last edited by Fixer808; 09-30-2013 at 12:34 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    some all time favorites from the 8 bit era:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Star Control 2 (1992) - the soundtrack is downloadable somewhere on the Internet.
    This is the, in my opinion, best track - maybe inspired by early Depeche Mode:

Freelancer (2003) - also full of good music

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Damn, I really haven't played this game in ages. SNES makes me melt.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    The DKC games truly do have the best soundtracks of any games out there. Some of my favourites:

Other assorted favourites:

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Half Life 2
    Half Life 2 Episode One
    Half Life 2 Episode Two

/thread

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    HEALTH did a stellar job with Max Payne 3. Blasting "Tears" now.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    This is one of those songs from Crash Bandicoot that really stuck with me. I also forgot how much I loved playing Crash Bandicoot games. Crash Bandicoot really is like Mario and Donkey Kong for the PlayStation to me.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    ***Bump*** Going back to the retro days lately, has had me rediscovering all of this awesome music we used to have. Man, nothing comes close for me than 8-bit, and 16-bit Nintendo goodness. Some of my personal favs:

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I love a lot of music from Command and Conquer by Frank Klepacki, lots of great Metal Gear Solid stuff, Deus Ex: Human Revolution OST is fantastic, Portal 2 OST, Max Payne 3 score by Health and absolutely love the original Max Payne theme.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I just posted this on the What Are You Playing thread. Love this fucking menu theme.

AWESOME shit.