Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Sigur Ros - Jonsi and Alex - Jonsi

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I'll never forget seeing Jonsi's solo shows. I've never seen a crowd so tame and attentive and respectful to the performer in my entire life. Nobody even clapped until instruments were put down, but when they did applaud, it was one HELL of an applause.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Got on the guest list to their show Sunday....wtf I'm in shock that I am seeing this band.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Wow... the show tonight at the Hollywood Forever cemetery was incredibly epic. They set up guitar amps, littered alongside the gravestones on the entryway playing high pitched ambient music. One of the amps was playing back recited stories that sounded like people reminiscing about dead loved ones, along with what sounded like tragic stories about the experience of loss. Some of it sounded like it was read from an obituary clipping, or a speech someone had prepared for a funeral. It was hard to tell because, even though we lingered for a bit near that amp, it was often drowned out by the ambient hum of the other amps (and the opening band (whose name I don't recall)). It was unreal.

The band played a perfect, immaculate set. For at least half of the show I was lying down in the grass, staring at the stars, watching the stage from my peripheral.

One of the best shows ever, and by far the greatest thing I've seen happen in the cemetery, which was already my favorite "venue" in los angeles. I'm almost a little sad that I'm pretty sure I'll never see anything quite like that again.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 08-13-2012 at 05:24 AM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Holy shit. That sounds absolutely amazing/beautiful. I'm intrigued by this "venue". Are concerts performed there often or was this just a Sigur Ros special thing?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    richardp, it's not a constant thing, but there def. have been concerts there regularly for a long time.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Holy shit. That sounds absolutely amazing/beautiful. I'm intrigued by this "venue". Are concerts performed there often or was this just a Sigur Ros special thing?
    Yeah, the Hollywood Forever cemetery is a really amazing place to see a concert. I go to the movie screenings there too. Fun stuff... you camp out, have a picnic, bring a bottle of wine, it's a pretty unique experience. I saw The Flaming Lips there, and it was fun.

Still, Sigur Ros owned it in a way, and I can't imagine someone topping what they did.

Here's a pic from part of the amp setup on the entryway...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Yeah the show was spectacular. I couldn't resist standing and being close to Jonsi though (hes so oddly attractive :3).

Definitely my favorite venue ever. Do they usually open with I Gaer? That was sick.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Just bought 3 tickets to Sigur Ros + Kronos Quartet show in Krakow in September.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Bummed they didn't do a normal San Francisco show.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    03-24 Washington, DC - Patriot Center
    03-25 New York, NY - Madison Square Garden
    03-26 Boston, MA - Agganis Arena
    03-27 Montreal, Quebec - Bell Centre
    03-29 Ottawa, Ontario - Scotia Bank Place
    03-30 Toronto, Ontario - Air Canada Theatre Bowl
    04-01 Detroit, MI - Fox Theatre
    04-02 Chicago, IL - UIC Pavilion
    04-03 Minneapolis, MN - Roy Wilkins Auditorium
    04-06 Denver, CO - 1st Bank
    04-08 Dallas, TX - Verizon Theatre
    04-09 Houston, TX - Bayou Music Center
    04-10 Austin, TX - Cedar Park Center
    04-12 Phoenix, AZ - Comerica
    04-17 San Francisco, CA - Bill Graham Civic
    05-14 Tokyo, Japan - Nippon Budokan
    05-17 Osaka, Japan - Kobe World Memorial Hall

Still no Vancouver...but they'll get here eventually.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Just came here to post the same thing. Really stoked they are finally doing a non-festival SF show. Also they are giving a new 3 song EP to ticket buyers.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    They're playing an arena here in Austin, never thought I'd see that, but I take it they have a new bigger production than from the last time I saw them?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    So bummed there is no Kansas City date. They've played here every tour since ( ).

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    After the disappointment of the last NY show being sold out almost immediately, I'm definitely gonna be getting tix to that MSG show.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    So bummed there is no Kansas City date. They've played here every tour since ( ).
    I was hoping for that, too. I might've actually been able to make it this year. Maybe something'll work out and I can see another show. If not now, hopefully in the near future.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    seeing them in an arena sounds like my worst nightmare. no way. plus, they aren't big enough for arenas in certain parts of the county imo. im staying away.
    Last edited by bobbie solo; 11-14-2012 at 01:12 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    heard Svefn g Englar and the Nothing song the other day, forgot how beautiful and moving some of this groups stuff was.

Those tracks sound sort of like an Icelandic Radiohead and i hear a little bit of Shoegaze-iness in there too.
    For some reason i always exptected this group to be a bit too challenging to get into, which is probably why never bothered listening to their LP's only full album ever heard by this group whole way through is Agaetis Bryrjun. Which i loved.

What album by theirs would people recommend as their best other than the one mentioned above, want to get into them more, i want to hear some of their more conventional guitar based recordings.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    seeing them in an arena sounds like my worst nightmare. no way. plus, they aren't big enough for arenas in certain parts of the county imo. im saying away.
    You'd be surprised. I was fully expecting a fairly low attendance for their mid-day Lollapalooza set this year, and it ended up being bigger than Jack White's crowd, from what I'm told.

Point being, people love the shit out of Sigur Ros.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Does anyone know if there is a password for tomorrow's presales ? If so can someone hook it up for the San Fran show ?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Presale password went out in the email they sent from the website for all NA dates: brennisteinn

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Seriously. FUCK scalpers!!!!!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Seriously. FUCK scalpers!!!!!
    Honestly. Just got on right at 10 and couldn't get a pre-sale ticket. Will try again as some people will have them in the cart but won't check out.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I got a ticket after 30 minutes after being sold out

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Just got one now.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Should I buy a frozen sea or just buy () and Agaetis Byrjun both remaster vinyls. I usually see both vinyls on eBay for around 50 dollars each and a frozen seas goes for around 300 dollars . Seems like an easy decision right ?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    The artwork included with In a Frozen Sea is pretty incredible. Plus, you'd be getting Takk... But yeah, you'd be paying an extra 150-200 for that.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Last edited by october_midnight; 01-24-2013 at 03:37 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Fucking stoked.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Interesting that the new album will go in an "aggressive" direction. I actually thought Valtari was something of a dark record despite it's ambiance.

So, are they a trio now?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    They still utilize a lot of live musicians and probably will for the album as well....who knows. As for the new album clip in that video, I really dig it.