Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Waits

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Tom Waits

Recently released album 'Bad As Me' is definitely a return to form for Mr. Waits. While I of course loved 'Real Gone' from 2004, I find this album to be more accessible and similar to 'Mule Variations' and the awesome 'Alice' 'Blood Money' pair that dropped shortly after. I'm dying to see if he'll announce some tour dates, saw him here in 2004 for both shows and I'm dying to see just one more show!!! If he comes to Seattle or Portland even I'm effin' going...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I hope his tour doesn't stick to the south again like PESKAJUMBA did. It was a cool idea, but not for us Minnesota folk.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Bad As Me was awesome, definitely one of the best albums of the year and worth the wait. Glitter and Doom was a good live album, I just wish they put in the "Tom Tales" within the tracks and not just a separate disc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    Bad As Me was awesome, definitely one of the best albums of the year and worth the wait. Glitter and Doom was a good live album, I just wish they put in the "Tom Tales" within the tracks and not just a separate disc.
    Tom Tales was soooo good.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Given the last few months I've had "Walk Away" on nearly constant repeat for the last couple weeks. At times i think it's not the best decision but it sure hits the spot.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    I thought the same thing.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Latest album is so good, loving Raised Right Men and Hell Broke Luce...... so damn awesome. HOW MANY WAYS CAN YA POLISH UP A TURD!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Great great album. I'm not sure where I read it but someone said Bad As Me sounds like a Tom Waits greatest hits album but with all new songs. I kind of agree. Every song is kinda different and the album spans all the styles of music he's done over the years. Gotta say I'm very impressed and can't wait for the tour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Last Leaf is beautiful, and Hell Broke Luce is pure genius. Satisfied also happens to be the catchiest thing I've heard this year. While not his best album, a solid one overall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Orphans collection is probably one of the greatest collection of works I have ever heard.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdsctt View Post
    The Orphans collection is probably one of the greatest collection of works I have ever heard.
    this

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    So I'm trying to get into Tom Waits as I never really understood the appeal, so what would be a good way to start with his discography? So far the only song that I really like is "goin' out west" (reminds me some Beasts of Bourbon) so songs/records/bootlegs similar to that could get me hooked. any recommendations?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The 'Mule Variations' album is a good start, as is 'Alice' though that's his appeal to many...he kept his style but really changed the beat from album to album. Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers, and Bastards is a good compilation too. Hell, his first album 'Closing Time' is fantastic too...you can't go wrong. New album 'Bad As Me' is akin to Mule Variations too. LoL I'll ramble on about Tom for hours...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    So I'm trying to get into Tom Waits as I never really understood the appeal, so what would be a good way to start with his discography? So far the only song that I really like is "goin' out west" (reminds me some Beasts of Bourbon) so songs/records/bootlegs similar to that could get me hooked. any recommendations?
    Anything really. I like his 80s and 70s output best.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Thanks! I was searching for some more guitar driven stuff (should have been more precise I guess), but I just borrowed "mule varations", "rain dogs" and the "glitter & doom" live CD, so I'll start from here since I really want to get into this guy as I've seen and heard some wicked interviews with him, but most people around me that claim themselves to be huge Waits fans are quite the people I could do without so I never really gave im a chance in the first place :P

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

i know it's one of the more popular, but it's always been my favorite...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    make sure you check out "swordfish trombones" as well. that was my first TW album.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I've been addicted to the guy the last few weeks. I'm still shocked that he's only one person.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Agree, Bad as Me is Tom back on form.
    Been in Love with Tom's music since Heartattack and Vine
    Would love him to tour UK, or even anywhere in Europe, I'd be happy!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Too good not to share.

http://nyanwaits.com/

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

From my days in graphic design school, I've always loved Baldessari's work. Hearing Tom narrate a quick video about him was super cool to watch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdsctt View Post
    Seconded; I used the "Children's Story" as an audition piece.

dlb, it's a bit late for my input now, but if you're looking to ease into Waits from any lyrical sort of standpoint, I'd go with Small Change or Blue Valentine in a heartbeat. Easily his best of the first few, more stylistically understated albums. Put out before too much of the experimentation came about, and really great to sort of break the ice with the Waits characteristics. After that, Heartattack and Vine followed by something really out there. Bone Machine, definitely a good choice, though if you want more of a transitional experience, go with Swordfishtrombones and then anything following. Mule Variations, sure. Waits isn't a terribly guitar-driven performer; not sure what to tell you there.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I've been on a Tom Waits binge for the last few months. I can't stop. It's like an addiction. There's just so much amazing material.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    The Chicago performance is great, but that Raised Right Men performance, hot damn is it amazing.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    ^ absolutely — the man's still on fire after all these years!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Let the speculation begin...

"I Breathe Better Underwater"

A cruise tour or something?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Seems like it could be a new music video, which I'd be more than fine with if those are stills from it.