Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tom Waits

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Unfortunately, it wasn't a tour announcement. Fortunately, it was the premier of the video for 'Hell Broke Luce'...and it's fucking awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just got into Tom a few weeks ago when I first heard "Heart Attack & Vine" and fell in love with it.
    Then I got Bone Machine when I saw it had "Goin' out West" which I already knew from the Queens of The Stone Age cover and I saw it had Clay Lespool playing bass on it.
    Next I'm gunna give Mule Variations a listen. And I love that videos he just released and am excited to see what he does in the future.
    What album should I check out after Mule??

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    rain dogs, if you're hitting the essentials. though you may like the first disc of orphans given your patterns thus far.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    and Swordfish Trombones. that was my first.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I'm just listening to the live album Nighthawks at the Diner, definitely a good time with Mr. Waits.

Funny little story introductions he has before he gets into a song, love it.

Great album!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I got the album Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers and Bastards on CD for Christmas this year (2012). Before i really got in to Waits heavily i thought this was just a Greatest Hits collection or something and quite honestly i avoided it without really doing proper research about it, haha boy was i way off.... i realize now that a lot of these are b-sides, soundtrack numbers and previously unreleased stuff. It's quite the incredible opus to go through and I'm loving every minute of it.

Really great collection!

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    It truly is! "Sea Of Love" and the ones from the "Dead Man Walking" Soundtrack are probably my favorites.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    if the Blue Valentine record I just picked up is anything to go by, the reissues are more than worth the high price tag. It sounds phenomenal.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Does anyone know if this is actually Tom? While I know it was apparently covered on the Frank's Wild Year tour, there are parts of the vocals on this recording that don't sound like him.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Yeah it's legit. From 1987 in Toronto or something like that...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tom is going to be the special guest on this upcoming Sunday's episode of The Simpsons.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Does anyone know exactly why Tom's vocals took such a shift from his first couple albums Closing Time and The Heart of Saturday Night to the gravel of Small Change?

It's just so crazy how night and day it is. Not that i don't love gravelly Waits too and generally that's what he's most known for in regards to his music but it's just such a difference in singing style. Was it the smoking and drinking or some throat ailment and what not? or was it just his choice in direction to go?

Any essential interviews i need to check out?
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 06-01-2013 at 07:28 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Does anyone know exactly why Tom's vocals took such a shift from his first couple albums Closing Time and The Heart of Saturday Night to the gravel of Small Change?

It's just so crazy how night and day it is. Not that i don't love gravelly Waits too and generally that's what he's most known for in regards to his music but it's just such a difference in singing style. Was it the smoking and drinking or some throat ailment and what not? or was it just his choice in direction to go?

Any essential interviews i need to check out?
    He has discussed it numerous times in print and probably more than a few times on tv, but as always it's usually drenched in jest. If I recall correctly, he told Letterman (or someone else?) that he did it by routinely screaming as loudly as he could in to his pillow. Truth is, I think of course the booze and smokes (and age) are a factor, but it's probably just a stylistic decision. On his next album The Heart of Saturday Night, he touched upon the more gravel-voiced type stuff and probably just got more and more in to it. He kept pushing it more and more as you get in to his Island albums, Bone Machine, etc. etc. He still has the softer songs where he touches upon the less gravelly style, but I think by now it's just the right fit for him.

I love both, I adore him now but still love going back to Closing Time and hearing what I always think of as Tom Waits hangin' out with early Billy Joel.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    It's funny when you're getting into an artist that has been around for so long and you realize you've heard some form of their music in some way.

Hip Hop is obviously notorious for it's sampling of other music.

Recognize the beat 30 seconds in?

I would've heard this in 2006 before i even knew who Tom Waits was, cool figuring out that this was a piano tune sampled from Ice Cream Man after all this time.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    13 pages back... sheesh!

Hey, heads up folks! Tom Waits is doing an acoustic performance this Saturday for Bridge School and it's being streamed right here http://www.youtube.com/bridgebenefitconcert

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I need to see Tom one day but i'm not holding out much hope for a tour anytime soon if at all

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    13 pages back... sheesh!

Hey, heads up folks! Tom Waits is doing an acoustic performance this Saturday for Bridge School and it's being streamed right here http://www.youtube.com/bridgebenefitconcert
    Unfortunately he is playing Sunday . It would have been really cool to see arcade fire and tom waits on the same day

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Oh shit my bad, i could have sworn it was Saturday. Sorry for the mixup and thanks for the correction, i probably would have been sitting around like a derp waiting for him to come on.

Better still be streamed though.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I've heard Tom's performance isn't going to be streamed on Sunday

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Oh fuck it's been A DECADE since I saw both Vancouver shows...fuck me please let him come close.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Classic

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tom Waits has been confirmed as performing on one of the last Letterman shows. Only 28 episodes left and this week's guests have been announced and he's not there, so looks like it'll be within a month at least. Pumped.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Nice to hear some signs of life.

Can't believe Bad as Me is almost 5 years old! O_O

Would love to hear some new stuff but Tom's a "when the time is right" kind of dude.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Thursday May 14th. Tom will be interviewed and is the musical guest as well. YUSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Looks like Tom will be performing a brand new song tomorrow night. Fucking pumped.