Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28

Thread: The Mental Health thread - depression, bipolar, ADHD, you name it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ...like when you become a fun house mirror for people to justify their new hairdos...

Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Uuuughghghghg.

Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    Uuuughghghghg.
    :: hug :: ?

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    The last 30 days Iíve had can go fuck themselves. Scratch that...the last year can go fuck itself.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Anybody else here feel kind of like a failure, even though they know intellectually it's not their fault, for not overcoming their issues? I spent a large chunk of my 20s hooked on Ativan, not able to deal with my anxiety, living like a hermit. I've recovered somewhat now, but I can't help think of all the time lost to an illness or emotional condition that totally got the better of me and my youth for a long time. I was functional throughout high school even though I had issues, but I started to isolate at the end of college before taking a big nosedive for awhile. Anyway, just something I've been thinking about as I enter my mid-30s.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

The Mental Health thread - depression, bipolar, ADHD, you name it

be careful with the ativan, very addictive!
    I started to depend on it about 5 years ago, try and stay away from the benzos, they are a nasty bunch of meds
    Phennigan is probably safer, it's an antihistamine, but is known for its calming at a higher dose, and it's available over the counter! so you could ask a pharmacist their advice

good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by InsecureSpike; 05-19-2018 at 06:17 AM.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    It’s frustrating that I learn lessons on how to deal with certain people and/or situations, but of course forget those things when I need them.

I am a fixer too. I’m always wanting to fix something, especially if part of the reason it is damaged is because of something I said or did.

Hopefully some of you can relate. I feel very isolated these days.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InsecureSpike View Post
    I started to depend on it about 5 years ago, try and stay away from the benzos, they are a nasty bunch of meds
    Phennigan is probably safer, it's an antihistamine, but is known for its calming at a higher dose, and it's available over the counter! so you could ask a pharmacist their advice

good luck

Yeah, I got off of it. Worst experience of my life but I did it finally. I feel like Rip Van Winkle.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    great news, awesome well done!!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InsecureSpike View Post
    Definitely agree on Ativan; it's got the shortest half-life of all the commonly prescribed benzo's over here. Klonopin is one of the safest (as far as addiction), and what you're meant to be on if taking benzo's long term, but they're becoming more and more regulated because of popularity among the opioid crowd. While I'd never recommend others take it, I've been on Klonopin for 8 years.

--------------------------------------------------------------

If you're going to go the antihistamine route, dollar store benadryl. 1-2 tablets every 4-6 hours or 30 minutes before going out. Don't be a dummy.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

The Mental Health thread - depression, bipolar, ADHD, you name it

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Definitely agree on Ativan; it's got the shortest half-life of all the commonly prescribed benzo's over here. Klonopin is one of the safest (as far as addiction), and what you're meant to be on if taking benzo's long term, but they're becoming more and more regulated because of popularity among the opioid crowd. While I'd never recommend others take it, I've been on Klonopin for 8 years.

--------------------------------------------------------------

If you're going to go the antihistamine route, dollar store benadryl. 1-2 tablets every 4-6 hours or 30 minutes before going out. Don't be a dummy.
    Yeah, I suffer from memory loss due to being prescribed it on a daily basis long term. The withdrawal was the worst experience ever. I stopped taking it six months ago and I still have headaches every day, that started during withdrawal. I don't believe it really works if you take it every day (edit: due to tolerance and rebound anxiety, where the meds actually make the anxiety worse as it wears off or in between doses), so I'm not entirely sure my doctor knew what they were doing. I found out about the memory loss when going to a neuropsychologist evaluation and that doc blamed it on the Ativan. She said it could recover but will take years.

I've personally had no success with medication and have found that not eating shitty food, exercise, and developing more positive self-talk has been more helpful for me than those approaches. (I even had a drug-induced hypomanic episode when on gabapentin, ativan and zoloft at the same time - pretty sure my doctor was incompetent though.)

Good luck to everyone on here with their struggles; be patient with yourself and get a second opinion if you don't think your doc is working in your best interests.
    Last edited by Pbgut; 05-24-2018 at 07:42 PM.

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    re: benzos- for me, it's kind of a "cut your losses" sort of thing.

xanax is the motherfucking antidote for me-it's the thing that's been stopping my panic attacks for a long, long time (as in almost a decade.)

and it isn't like i didn't try damn near everything on the market first, from every SSRI available, to antipsychotics, tricyclics, beta blockers, and prescription antihistamines. basically, i'll take the side effects in return for being able to stop daily panic attacks.

i just hope they don't have a "war on benzos" like they are doing with the opiate "crisis."

For one thing, i have a hard time functioning without a mg of xanax here and there, and for another, it's INSANELY addictive, true. And the withdrawals can literally kill you. :/