Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Fringe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^^Yeah, but I thought it was pretty obvious who she was going to turn out to be. As for the rest of the episode, I only knew that HIC was going to be a guest star, but I didn't know what the nature of the episode was going to be. I hope they show more like this episode, but I don't know if he is in more or not. It would certainly be nice to have them explore this more if they are picked up for a fifth (shortened?) season, which seems to be what the plan is. This episode allows them to give us closure for this season, as well as the series, and still have somewhere to go in the event they are given more episodes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I took the timeline for Olivia's death (2015?) to mean they could basically write the show for another three seasons.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I didn't like that episode at all, seemed pretty pointless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^^ I really don't know how you can see it as pointless at all.

http://tvline.com/2012/04/26/fringe-...-for-season-5/

Fringe has been given a 5th (and final) season, but it doesn't say how many episodes, though.
    Last edited by Goldfoot; 04-26-2012 at 06:16 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    13 episodes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What's your source? Just because that was the rumored amount doesn't mean that is what they agreed upon.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Relax chief.

Joel Wyman @jwfringe OFFICIALLY PICKED UP FOR 13 EPISODES! Our team thanks FOX/WB and our INCREDIBLE fans for their support. JHW/JP/AG http://youtu.be/gvWqOZL8JXA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I guess it's better than nothing.

Still pretty poor though.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'm actually glad they're not going to drag it out for an immensely long time. To me anyways, this is like certain other shows where it just needs to end and be a complete thing. Story told, it was awesome while it lasted, but why drag it out in to extra seasons for no point kinda thing.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfoot View Post
    ^^ I really don't know how you can see it as pointless at all.
    Huh? What was the point of it then? It showed a bunch of stuff that happens in the future, they didn't accomplish anything in the episode. Spoiler: Short of saying that Olivia is dead and Bell is somehow still alive I really don't see how that episode mattered at all to what is happening in the show right now

Glad to hear they're getting a fifth season, as much as this show drives me nuts sometimes with its inconsistent quality, when it's good I love it and I'm glad they're going to get to finish it the way they wanted to.
    Last edited by kdrcraig; 04-27-2012 at 07:15 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    Huh? What was the point of it then? It showed a bunch of stuff that happens in the future, they didn't accomplish anything in the episode. Spoiler: Short of saying that Olivia is dead and Bell is somehow still alive I really don't see how that episode mattered at all to what is happening in the show right now
    The point is that it shows you what happens in the future. The idea this season was that by connecting the universes via the bridge, the red one could heal and, as we saw, it has been working. By skipping ahead, we get a taste of what happens after both universes are back to normal AND we get to see a new side to the observers. It's a complete role reversal for them (which has become a very common theme in this show) and rather than just be on the outside looking in, we see that they have the capacity to completely change how they interact with the world. Not only that, but it opened the door the future, leaving them free to completely finish the current plotline and give us closure, whether or not they got a chance to continue past this season. It was a really smart move and, at least for me, it presented very interesting prospects on what could happen in the future.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Good points, I didn't think of it that way. Still not a fan of the episode but I see what you're saying, especially since they didn't know if they were getting renewed or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Good points, I didn't think of it that way. Still not a fan of the episode but I see what you're saying, especially since they didn't know if they were getting renewed or not.
    Fair enough, I'm in no way saying you had to like it, I just didn't understand your initial statement. The way I see it is that it came about because they were unsure if the show would continue or not. That is a hard position to be in when you have a serial drama like this. The same thing happened during the middle of Lost Season 3. There's a few filler episodes that arguably have no reason to be there, but the producers needed to know how long they would have to tell their story. They couldn't just start throwing things out willy nilly and then have nothing more to show in the event that they were picked up for another season or two. So with Fringe, Fox wouldn't tell them yes or no when they were writing the episodes (you know, when it matters, because network executives seem to be fucking morons) so they had to improvise and throw in a possible way to continue the show. And as we just saw, Fox didn't even officially decide until that episode had aired (or perhaps right before, depending on who you believe).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The other option they didn't think of in tonight's episode was to bring the red universe equivalent of the cortexiphan subjects over to the blue universe.

Considering the level of surveillance in the red universe and that the majority of them would have been American originally it wouldn't have taken a great deal of effort.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Also regarding the complaints with the flash forward episode. I didn't see it as opening a new direction for the show but rather explaining and wrapping up the observer plot thread.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Ok I really liked last week's episode, back on board.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't know if that's the last we'll see of Spoiler: the other universe, but if so, that was a pretty satisfying goodbye.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Definitely, the scene between the two Walters was pretty awesome.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mech View Post
    Fairly certain on tv shows, everything is game up until the most recent episode. A lot of the spoiler boxes on this page are actually guesses and theories.
    The trouble with that is, it's shown at different times in different countries.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Sooo...everyone was arriving at their appointed place within a minute of the appointed time? Sure, OK.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandros View Post
    Sooo...everyone was arriving at their appointed place within a minute of the appointed time? Sure, OK.
    In this show that's low on the nitpicking level.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    In this show that's low on the nitpicking level.
    Well, you know, amidst the alternate universes, man-beasts, weirdos from the future and unlocked psychic abilites, I would expect people to at least account for traffic and/or unexpected difficulties while traversing the city/wilderness.
    Last edited by Alexandros; 05-02-2012 at 02:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In the future episode what was Walter's brain doing at Massive Dynamic? Wasn't it stolen by Jones in the first season to operate the teleportation device?

(It's been established that this part of season 1 happened in the gold timeline.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
    In the future episode what was Walter's brain doing at Massive Dynamic? Wasn't it stolen by Jones in the first season to operate the teleportation device?

(It's been established that this part of season 1 happened in the gold timeline.)
    No, actually it was established that season 1 did not happen in the gold timeline. Peter mentioned Jones and the Fringe team didn't know who he was talking about. They brought Jones in and he did not recognize Peter. Nothing that happened in seasons 1-3 (after the lake incident) is in the history of the gold timeline, other than in Peter's (and now Olivia's) memories.
    Last edited by Goldfoot; 05-02-2012 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Wooden jew like to know?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No I mean it was established that Jone's story was the same but without interference from the Fringe team because Peter wasn't there.

So he still escaped from gaol and stole stole Walter's brain at the same points as the blue timeline.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    That was my problem with the episode about the plane crash/porcupine monster this season, even if the Fringe team didn't have the same missions in the gold timeline that plane would've still had the same flight time and it would've already happened.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
    No I mean it was established that Jone's story was the same but without interference from the Fringe team because Peter wasn't there.

So he still escaped from gaol and stole stole Walter's brain at the same points as the blue timeline.
    You aren't remembering that correctly. DRJ had nothing to do with recovering pieces of Walter's brain. It was Newton who recovered the pieces of Walter's brain, and he did it by removing them from other people.

That was my problem with the episode about the plane crash/porcupine monster this season, even if the Fringe team didn't have the same missions in the gold timeline that plane would've still had the same flight time and it would've already happened.
    You are assuming that everything happened the same way, just without Peter. The mere fact that Peter died in both histories during this season's timelines changes things. Peter's parents on our side would have had a funeral, altering everyone's lives that were involved from then on. Every different choice they make would alter other people's lives as well. As there are similarities between the Blue and Red sides, the Gold one is similar to the Blue one, but not the same.

The case doesn't unfold quite the same in this timeline, so there's no reason to believe it would have happened on the same schedule as the initial one from the first season. The plane crashed originally, but in the Gold timeline it landed safely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You are assuming that everything happened the same way, just without Peter. The mere fact that Peter died in both histories during this season's timelines changes things. Peter's parents on our side would have had a funeral, altering everyone's lives that were involved from then on. Every different choice they make would alter other people's lives as well. As there are similarities between the Blue and Red sides, the Gold one is similar to the Blue one, but not the same.

The case doesn't unfold quite the same in this timeline, so there's no reason to believe it would have happened on the same schedule as the initial one from the first season. The plane crashed originally, but in the Gold timeline it landed safely.
    Exactly. Butterfly effect (not the movie).

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

So Peter not existing altered all the flight schedules in the country and made all the people on that flight wait a year to take it? I understand what you're saying but Peter not existing would not change the whole fucking world and everything that happens in it. I'm not even talking about the case, I'm talking about the fact that it was the same exact plane with the same people on it only it happened a year or however long later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So Peter not existing altered all the flight schedules in the country and made all the people on that flight wait a year to take it? I understand what you're saying but Peter not existing would not change the whole fucking world and everything that happens in it. I'm not even talking about the case, I'm talking about the fact that it was the same exact plane with the same people on it only it happened a year or however long later.
    One difference could change everything. The people designing the drug that caused the transformation may have gotten their funding later in Gold than they did in Blue. There's no way to know, but I don't understand why you're getting hung up on this one point. This is the only case that Peter experienced (so far) in Gold that was similar to one in Blue. Given the nature of the cases he remembers from Blue, if they happened again they would certainly be something checked out by Gold's Fringe Division. Even if some things happen in both timelines, that doesn't mean they happen on the same date in each, or even happen the same way. (Dude didn't fully transform on the plane in Gold, but he did in Blue) Basing how/when events should happen in Gold on how/when they happened in Blue is a faulty way to look at it.