Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: ninwiki

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Yeah yeah, only main page, I've already put both versions of the art onto WO's page. In the case of HTDA's EP1, should we not be using the physical album's art then?
    Yes, I will change that momentarily.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions, and for participating in the Wiki as much as you have. I made the changes you've requested.
    You're very welcome. I know my edits are largely anal little detail type stuff but I kind of enjoy that sort of "screwdriver" work, as it were.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    You're very welcome. I know my edits are largely anal little detail type stuff but I kind of enjoy that sort of "screwdriver" work, as it were.
    Anal details are exactly what we need!

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    So I've been wanting to add some of the info from the Fragility tour program to the article on The Fragile and I have just added Alan Moulder's bit about the songwriting. There is also a partial list in there of the equipment used to record the album. Do you guys think I should add that as well or would it be too nerdy?
    Last edited by piggy; 02-19-2013 at 05:51 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Dude, it's a wiki about a band that hasn't even released an album in 5 years, nothing is too nerdy

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    OK I'll go ahead and put it on there, then. Also, someone will now need to redirect the WO thumbnail link on the main page to go to Welcome Oblivion (album).

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Should we leave the preorder link to Amazon for those affiliates $, or change it htda's site?

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Should we leave the preorder link to Amazon for those affiliates $, or change it htda's site?
    I tend to post both. Or, when there's even more options, post all of the reasonable ones (shady ebay presales don't count.)

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    OK, so I have a question about double-linking. Obviously, it's frowned on. However, if you go to an album page like Pretty Hate Machine or The Downward Spiral, all of the song titles in the track listing section are linked whether or not they've already been linked in the article. Is this on purpose or is it just because no one ever fixed the double links? Whatever the case, I think it's actually nicer and more convenient with everything linked in the track listing regardless of previous links. So if that's the way it's supposed to be, I can go through and fix articles that need all songs linked. If that's not the way it's supposed to be, I can start sifting through articles for double links and gradually fix those instead.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Man I don't even know anymore *sobs*

Personally I like the one link only, but others far prefer the list +1. As long as it's not obtrusive, doesn't matter too much I guess?

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    double linking FTW!
    I hate having to scroll up just to find the right link, especially for lists like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    time to update Operation Swamp 0000 with hi-res art

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    and if you'd like, you can us "http://www.portraitofdecay.com/nin.com/current/photos/3_13_07.jpg" for the URL of "http://www.nin.com/current/photos/3_13_07.jpg" since it's no longer valid.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Whatever the case, I think it's actually nicer and more convenient with everything linked in the track listing regardless of previous links. So if that's the way it's supposed to be, I can go through and fix articles that need all songs linked.
    I was just getting ready to go through and do this, but I see that AIRNIN is still vehemently against that sort of thing, so I guess I won't bother.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I was just getting ready to go through and do this, but I see that AIRNIN is still vehemently against that sort of thing, so I guess I won't bother.
    I've started a discussion on the Welcome Oblivion talk page.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    FWIW I hate single-linking, not least because it's a (pointless) maintenance nightmare.

BTW is the wiki dog slow for editing for anyone else?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The real wikipedia has millions of pages with multi-linking and it's very convenient.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    The main argument for single-linking (that I am aware of): it makes the page less cluttered. BUT, this is a presentation issue rather than a content one. The wiki engine, or the theme, or a combination of the two, could address that.

The arguments against: it makes every chunk of wiki content context-sensitive on the rest of the page and less re-usable. It doesn't work if you use transclusion/templates a lot. It means you have to consider the entire page when editing a small section if you add/remove links. It means if you are reading a sub-section of a page you lack convenient links: most apparent in tracklistings but also an issue elsewhere.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I've always wondered why the links don't simply appear in the track listing instead of scattered throughout the article, with some of them being linked on the article.
    Yes, I get that the songs are linked the first time they're mentioned... but just linking from the listing makes more sense... it's much easier to find that way.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Wanted to add that I updated this page with a personal item from this specific tour/date:
    http://www.ninwiki.com/1995/11/14_Miami_Beach,_FL

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spahn View Post
    Wanted to add that I updated this page with a personal item from this specific tour/date:
    http://www.ninwiki.com/1995/11/14_Miami_Beach,_FL
    Thanks for that. Nice to see that TR was trying to stop scalping almost twenty years ago.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Regarding the way tours are covered on the wiki... It seems to me that the rule of thumb is that if a tour takes place during a single year, it gets a single comprehensive page but if it takes place during more than a single year, it gets a hub style page with links to each leg. So when the current tour wraps next year, will everything be put into a hub page?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Yes, ideally there will be a "summer festival" tour, and a "Tension 2013" tour, and then whatever may happen in 2014 if it has another name.

so yes, eventually it will get a hub page that looks like this one: http://www.ninwiki.com/Live:_With_Teeth

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Been doing some tidying up and additions to pages myself.

Suggestion: maybe put the original PHM cover on the main page rather than the re-release? The thumbnail I mean.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    That's a good point, but the original PHM cover looks super dated now that Rob's redone it. I don't know. Anyone else want to weigh in on that?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I'd be willing to second that, since that was the original cover and the one primarily associated with the album.

On that note, shouldn't the HTDA EP (the first one) use the cover of the physical release on the front page, since that's what Hesitation Marks uses? I think someone else might have mentioned it before, but it never changed.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    http://www.ninwiki.com/News_Archive#December_1997
    From the 25th of June 1999 until the 10th of July 1999 Trent posted some short blogs about the final progress of the work on The Fragile. The archived posts can be read here by scrolling down to journal: [117].
    That wasn't Trent, was it? I thought Rob wrote those.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    I'd be willing to second that, since that was the original cover and the one primarily associated with the album.

On that note, shouldn't the HTDA EP (the first one) use the cover of the physical release on the front page, since that's what Hesitation Marks uses? I think someone else might have mentioned it before, but it never changed.
    I think the vinyl covers should be the ones used on the front page, since they're Trent's preferred format (and I vote for the original PHM cover).

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I think Tony (one of the founders of the wiki) stated earlier in this thread that his preference for the thumbnails on the main page is CD over vinyl.