Page 31 of 46 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven Wilson catch-all thread (Porcupine Tree, No-Man, Blackfield, Bass Communion)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    How's the documentary? I'm more interested in that, than the surround mix this time.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    How's the documentary? I'm more interested in that, than the surround mix this time.
    haven't checked it out yet, but the 5.1 mix is great, actually. the couple songs i heard before the album's release were...fine, but in 5.1 they really sound phenomenal.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    So I decided to listen to In Absentia and Deadwing on Spotify and noticed the copyright is Kscope 2017. Perhaps physical reissues are coming soon as well!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    So I decided to listen to In Absentia and Deadwing on Spotify and noticed the copyright is Kscope 2017. Perhaps physical reissues are coming soon as well!
    Burning Shed are being very... coy about it on Twitter.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    For Henry...if only

Last edited by onthewall2983; 09-03-2017 at 02:07 PM.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    For Henry...if only

I'm watching this right before i begin the last episode and i laughed hard; it would be awesome and fitting too, a Lynch/Wilson collaboration would make lots of sense!

I loved when Steven said in an interview that he's enjoying the new season but he was a little behind, wonder if he's watching the finale tonight...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm pretty much turned around on To The Bone now. It's a solid effort, and very much a continuation of what he's been doing, rather than a sharp-left turn so many of us initially thought it might be. It plays to the very edges of his own instincts, but there's really not a whole lot of compromise to be seen.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    finally finished listening to the album last night in 5.1. it was really great.

now if i only had a digital copy to listen to in my car... :: cough cough someone please help me cough ::

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    US Tour announced... with stupid presale code again

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Can anyone point me in the right direction where I can get Staircase Infinities and The Sky Moves Sideways (2016 Remasters)?
    I know they are available on 7digital/ProStudioMasters etc, but non-US customers (even using US-issued credit cards) cannot seem to purchase any of it online if you're outside America.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    Can anyone point me in the right direction where I can get Staircase Infinities and The Sky Moves Sideways (2016 Remasters)?
    I know they are available on 7digital/ProStudioMasters etc, but non-US customers (even using US-issued credit cards) cannot seem to purchase any of it online if you're outside America.
    I bought SI just fine on 7digital's Canadian store. I wish TSMS was 24bit, though.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    acoustic session on french radio: http://www.rtl.fr/culture/musique/le...017-7790368410

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 11-04-2017 at 05:29 PM.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Time flies indeed, the guy just turned 50 today... (someone has a great deal with father time!)

EDIT: oh he also announced a Latin American Tour; 7th show (counting Porcupine Tree shows) here i go!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    It's either vegetarianism or not wearing shoes.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Time flies indeed, the guy just turned 50 today... (someone has a great deal with father time!)

EDIT: oh he also announced a Latin American Tour; 7th show (counting Porcupine Tree shows) here i go!
    Damn it! ... For just a second my mind was projecting something entirely more awesome.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Damn it! ... For just a second my mind was projecting something entirely more awesome.
    Well, i never attended a "No-Man" show, if that's what you mean; he scheduled a Blackfield date in my hometown a few years ago, but he cancelled because his father's death...

I attended 3 Porcupine Tree Shows (FOABP tour and two "Incident" dates...) and 3 "solo" shows ("Get all you deserve" concert, "Raven that refused..." tour, "Hand Cannot Erase" tour...)
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 11-06-2017 at 08:53 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Well, i never attended a "No-Man" show, if that's what you mean; he scheduled a Blackfield date in my hometown a few years ago, but he cancelled because his father's death...

I attended 3 Porcupine Tree Shows FOABP tour and two "Incident" dates) and 3 "solo" shows ("Get all you deserve" concert, "Raven that refused..." tour, "Hand Cannot Erase" tour...)
    No I mean for a split second there I thought about there being NEW Porcupine Tree shows. That was ill-thought, even if brief, I know.

I've seen seven Porcupine Tree shows, one Blackfield and two Steven Wilson shows since 2000. My favorite is still the Fear of a Blank Planet tour. But my last SW show during the Hand Cannot Erase tour was amazing as well.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I've yet to see him live. I probably regret missing him on the Raven tour the most. Such a good band and cross-section of material he did.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I've yet to see him live. I probably regret missing him on the Raven tour the most. Such a good band and cross-section of material he did.
    I was fortunate enough on the HCE show to see Guthrie Govan and Marco Minnemann perform in the band before they left to do their Aristocrats tour. I regret missing the Raven tour, but I saw the previous Grace for Drowning tour.

Over my life, I have supported PT/SW second to perhaps only Tool as far as number of concerts of a well-known international artist or band. Tied for third would be Opeth and NIN and then a heavy mix of APC, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Primus, Melvins, Killing Joke, Iron Maiden, and it just becomes a blur. I say that stressing that I've seen a lot of specific jam bands, instrumentalist and folk bands (Buckethead, STS9, Perpetual Groove, String Cheese, AK & Union Station, etc.) more times than I can remember. I don't even know why I am sharing this. Perhaps just trying to point out that I feel like I have been very loyal to SW more so than any other artist. Certainly beyond concerts and discography purchased in physical albums and deluxe editions. Admittedly, he is my favorite artist. He isn't the top as far as shows by artists I am most proud of seeing over the years, however. That would be shows on David Gilmour's past few tours and Roger Waters' tours. I was very glad to see Richard Wright perform with David before he passed. Also very proud I got to see Peter Gabriel.

Edit: I want to add I'm certainly not trying to have a pissing contest on number of shows or artists seen or whatever. Most of you folks on this board put me to shame.
    Last edited by pulse; 11-04-2017 at 09:28 PM.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    No I mean for a split second there I thought about there being NEW Porcupine Tree shows. That was ill-thought, even if brief, I know.
    Oh man... i'm losing faith more and more of that ever happening, it seems he has lost contact with most of the PT guys and he's mega happy with his solo career...

I wasn't trying to start a "pissing contest", BTW ...i'm just saying that watching this guy live is woth every penny...
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 11-07-2017 at 08:37 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Oh man... i'm losing faith more and more of that ever happening, it seems he has lost contect with most of the PT guys and he's mega happy wit his solo career...

I wasn't trying to start a "pissing contest", BTW ...i'm just saying that watching this guy live is woth every penny...
    Sorry about the colorful language. I was a good bit lubricated when I posted that a few nights ago.

I have lost all hope there will ever be PT shows. I don't see Barbieri and Wilson getting beyond their issues. It's such a shame.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Everything is sort of solidifying into his solo career now, as his other projects have become less frequent. 10 years since the last No-Man album (and Bowness is making albums in his own name to anyway). He's around to make albums as Blackfield but not to tour with it. Even his stuff as Bass Communion has taken a backseat to it all.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    I have lost all hope there will ever be PT shows. I don't see Barbieri and Wilson getting beyond their issues. It's such a shame.
    what happened between the two of them?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    what happened between the two of them?
    Nothing beyond speculation and rumors that I would repeat on a forum. It's not worth mentioning other than considering the sincerity of the individuals involved. I just think the best manner is to state there were tensions between both parties over PT's hiatus that evolved into Steven Wilson killing any hopes of a new project. Even from Wilson's own mouth, Porcupine Tree is no more. And why would there be? Steven's solo career has been lucrative. He gets great musicians for his albums. He can pretty much do whatever he wants. I think Steven made some points about being in a "band" that wouldn't cater to his musical ideas that he eventually sought on his own, much to his success obviously. But there won't be Porcipine Tree without Barbieri. Not much need to go into specifics beyond that. Regardless of what that means for the future, unless they wish to work together again, Porcupine Tree is dead.

Edit: A word.
    Last edited by pulse; 11-06-2017 at 06:19 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The thing I had heard is that Barbieri doesn't prefer the approach to keyboards that Adam Holzman does, which is way more virtuosic and not as much about textures and soundscapes. Steven is just as good on his own with that, and wanted someone with more instrumental skill to play his music. By his own admission the only virtuoso in PT was Gavin Harrison who is of course a beast on the kit. For awhile with his solo records it seemed like he wanted to put what he can do on his own just fine in the hands of players more skilled than he is for once.

I say it time and again whenever this comes up, but the opportunity he seized to make solo albums is probably the best thing he could have ever done. I got into what he was doing just a couple years before Insurgentes came out but I immediately wondered if he would take that path for himself. That if playing in a band was too limiting for him, even if he wrote and arranged and sang on everything.

It's kind of funny to me that there's online drama concerning who is and isn't in his band, treating it as if it were a band. It isn't, it's just him. And as sad as I am that the line-up on Raven didn't last I understand why. He's in a phase of reducing what he might see as clutter, to get to the core of what he does. Be it musically or lyrically, the last two albums have been much more direct than where he started. The deeper he goes, the more interesting it'll be. Frankly I hope on the next record he does everything short of string arrangements and female vocalists, with the right drummer.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 11-06-2017 at 06:29 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The thing I had heard is that Barbieri doesn't prefer the approach to keyboards that Adam Holzman does, which is way more virtuosic and not as much about textures and soundscapes. Steven is just as good on his own with that, and wanted someone with more instrumental skill to play his music. By his own admission the only virtuoso in PT was Gavin Harrison who is of course a beast on the kit. For awhile with his solo records it seemed like he wanted to put what he can do on his own just fine in the hands of players more skilled than he is for once.
    That shouldn't be a slight to Barbieri either. Richard is a mad scientist when it comes to incredible soundscapes and atmosphere effects. He doesn't exactly suck with melody in piano and keyboards either. I just don't think he likes noodling with heavy solos. The ironic thing is that I believe there was talk, even by Steven's own mouth that a member of the band did not like playing jazz. But Barbieri loves jazz. Richard incorporates jazz elements on his solo albums and even has Travis Theo and several other fine jazz musicians. The man has worked with virtuosos like Karn, Takemura and Jansen. But Barbieri himself likes to create a rich tapestry of sound which Porcupine Tree would just not sound like Porcupine Tree without. Can you imagine any of the 2000s albums without Barbieri? But Steven is capable and I suspect that perhaps he wished to handle that on his own on stage while having a very proficient player like Holzman. Still, to me, the sound of PT as a band remains seperate from Steven's own solo work. Barbieri, Gavin and Colin had a great vibe together and I miss their element in Steven's music. Not that I wouldn't want Steven to continue making music with all these great musicians. I just miss Porcupine Tree. I suppose you just have to be thankful of the body of work that already exists and move on much to my chagrin of not ever getting to see them perform live again.

Edit: lol...Tapatalk.
    Last edited by pulse; 11-06-2017 at 06:56 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Re: Steven's next album and his current direction, I'm kind of half-expecting him to make very electronic-based music. Something even more his own without much in the way of session musicians. It seems like he has moved away from the heavy 70s progressive style and "To the Bone" may be a gateway from that. I'm not exactly expecting Arcade Fire here. But perhaps definitely less complexity with seperate individual musicianship parts as a whole. I'm also wondering if another Storm Corrosion project is on the horizon with Mikael.